How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure what happened to my old gear, I guess I slowly discarded it over the decades. I only fenced for a few years, in my late teens and early 20s. It was a great sport though. However I have a lingering reminder of it with a wonky right knee - all that lunging!

touche, fence !, i tried fencing in the army, back then, not my style, the officers loved it.

Edited by NSWP

16 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No in Marrickville (where the company started) though they did have one in Hamilton, just beside the flour Mill.

Had an Uncle who used to live in Bourne St Marrickville which T boned the ETA factory.

20 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I remember visiting a factory I thought was Mayfield. I was one of a group of kids from the YMCA (in King St across the road from the old Cathedral cemetery). We saw chips (crisps) being being made as well as peanut chocolate coating machines in action. Another time went went to the Coca Cola factory in Broadmeadow and also 2HD or 2KO (I forget which) studios above Ells in Hunter St I think. Myself and the rest of the boys were disappointed as John Laws was not in that day.

KO was the one near Ells my sister worked there in the 70s. 

Whenever we went down to visit dad’s uncle there would be boxes of eta stuff waiting for us. Yummy. Chips, nuts, lollygobbleblissbombs.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

KO was the one near Ells my sister worked there in the 70s. 

Whenever we went down to visit dad’s uncle there would be boxes of eta stuff waiting for us. Yummy. Chips, nuts, lollygobbleblissbombs.

was your sister Rita?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Victorian numbers down to 94 today.  I did a little dance like Jacinda!

It will be good when the number dying are down also.  

Victoria is doing a good job in lockdown. 

Most of us are, but not all. Too many trying to buck the lockdown regulations - there is a planned march/demonstration for next Saturday in the city by the Covid 19 conspiracists, anti maskers, anti-vaxers and anyone who doesn't want to follow the rules. There is a concerted effort by these groups on social media and in the media trying to shut down any Covid 19 articles including an article on The Age FB page about statistics from the Coroner's Office on whether there are more suicides due to Covid 19 restrictions. The post was inundated with 1000s of rude and unneccessary comments from the above groups. The Age ended up removing the post and article to stop the comments.

I read a page on FB which has proven to be very successful in providing Covid 19 information to the public and has organised a few free online entertainment events. The posts have been spammed by others trying to infer that the events have to be paid for and asking for personal details and credit card details. There are quite a few instances of this occuring including for online events for the Melbourne Zoo and even for the online Phillip Island Penguin Parade. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Victoria is doing very well indeed. Hopefully the numbers of new cases will keep going down, and the deaths as well.

Sydney's numbers have started climbing a little which is a worry, especially as people aren't getting tested immediately they notice symptoms. They are waiting up to three days while still going about their normal routines.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Victoria is doing very well indeed. Hopefully the numbers of new cases will keep going down, and the deaths as well.

Sydney's numbers have started climbing a little which is a worry, especially as people aren't getting tested immediately they notice symptoms. They are waiting up to three days while still going about their normal routines.

And with warmer days, the beaches and night time entertainment venues will be busy, hark the spike.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

And with warmer days, the beaches and night time entertainment venues will be busy, hark the spike.

It is a concern in Melbourne today as it is a sunny day and close to 20 but strong northerly winds. Although I haven't seem as many out walking as we normally see. Perhaps people are spending time in the garden as we have.

Leigh

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Exactly. I expect a jump in numbers again in a week or so, after the fine weather this weekend.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I ackowledge that Victoria and in particular Melbourne is doing well but with the warmer weather coming, there will be more people out and about. I just worry about those who don't do the right things for their fellow citizens.

Leigh

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I ackowledge that Victoria and in particular Melbourne is doing well but with the warmer weather coming, there will be more people out and about. I just worry about those who don't do the right things for their fellow citizens.

Leigh

Yes, they are a big danger. We have a similar issue here without the protection of being in lockdown. Gladys has taken the soft option of allowing the virus to spread through the community in a (hopefully) controlled manner to improve the local economy. Consequently I feel like I'm sitting on a ticking bomb. I had some bad respiratory issues during the bushfires, bad enough to need medication, so can't risk catching this blasted virus. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Most of us are, but not all. Too many trying to buck the lockdown regulations - there is a planned march/demonstration for next Saturday in the city by the Covid 19 conspiracists, anti maskers, anti-vaxers and anyone who doesn't want to follow the rules. There is a concerted effort by these groups on social media and in the media trying to shut down any Covid 19 articles including an article on The Age FB page about statistics from the Coroner's Office on whether there are more suicides due to Covid 19 restrictions. The post was inundated with 1000s of rude and unneccessary comments from the above groups. The Age ended up removing the post and article to stop the comments.

I read a page on FB which has proven to be very successful in providing Covid 19 information to the public and has organised a few free online entertainment events. The posts have been spammed by others trying to infer that the events have to be paid for and asking for personal details and credit card details. There are quite a few instances of this occuring including for online events for the Melbourne Zoo and even for the online Phillip Island Penguin Parade. 

Leigh

I saw a notice on top of the Phillip Island Penguin Parade page saying not to pay, as it was a free event!

I assume the planned march next weekend hasn't been given approval.  It must be so annoying when the majority are doing the right thing, whilst a small vocal minority do the wrong thing. 

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

No Marion, permission has not been given because of Stage 4 Restrictions, there should not be a gathering of more than 2 people in public unless parents and kids. Only one person from a household is allowed to go shopping - a couple or family can't shop together. 

The police and the Premier are begging that people don't attend the march as they are concerned about another spike of Covid 19 afet next weekend. There will be a big attendance of police at march area and people will be fined - already one organiser has been arrested for incitement.

Leigh

They have been arresting various organisers of these protests over the last few weeks.  Some retry hefty charges and potential penalties involved.

Good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

They have been arresting various organisers of these protests over the last few weeks.  Some retry hefty charges and potential penalties involved.

Good.

I hope these organisers receive hefty penalties, but am realistic to know that doesn't always happen.Unfortunately having organisers arrested seems to wncourage the members of these groups to do the wrong things.

Leigh

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I'm glad there has been progress for Victoria. In BC we had a record number of new cases yesterday, that was a little disconcerting. We continue to be cautious.

On another note there was some talk on another thread about Victoria (the one in Australia) being shut for a year? I think this is off base?

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm glad there has been progress for Victoria. In BC we had a record number of new cases yesterday, that was a little disconcerting. We continue to be cautious.

On another note there was some talk on another thread about Victoria (the one in Australia) being shut for a year? I think this is off base?

A little misinterpretation of the various things.

We are currently at stage 4, due to expire 13 September. This should be wound back, slowly, as the numbers are going down.

The legal framework underpinning this, state of emergency, also expires 13 September.  The premier wanted to legislate to be able to extend that for 12 months. It was not well received. It appears as though there will be support for legislation to allow an extension, but a much shorter time period.

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I hope your cases don't continue to go up Lyle, we've had 114 cases from yesterday and another 11 deaths. The majority of deaths are from aged care sadly.

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We are currently at stage 4, due to expire 13 September. This should be wound back, slowly, as the numbers are going down.

The legal framework underpinning this, state of emergency, also expires 13 September.  The premier wanted to legislate to be able to extend that for 12 months. It was not well received. It appears as though there will be support for legislation to allow an extension, but a much shorter time period.

Very well explained Adrian. I have had 'discussions' with family and friends this past week or so and tried to explain that it is not a lockdown for 12 months but the legislation to have another State of Emergency if there are further outbreaks. Unfortunately the way certain parts of the media headlined it appeared as if the premier was stating there would be a lockdown for another 12 months. People just read the headlines and not the article or believe what the TV news is saying. 

Leigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Thanks Adrian. I thought it was a little off. Someone else already set that straight over on that thread.

We keep extending our state of emergency but there was never any talk of a year. It almost sounds like your Premier is using this extraordinary situation to keep some sweeping powers without mandate for an extended period.