Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

A&S, Abraham and Strauss in downtown Brooklyn was always my favorite dept. store.  I was saddened when they finally folded, including the Paramus NJ store I used to frequent.

I’m enjoying reading about stores from long ago. I used to go with my grandmother to Bohack’s on Linden Blvd in Cambria Heights. I remember seeing ice cream in the freezer and asked her to buy some. She told me “You never buy ice cream in a grocery store. That isn’t real ice cream”.

She was a big A&S shopper. Her lingerie always matched the color of her dress, and her hats were beautiful. I’m sorry to hear it’s gone like so many of our beloved department stores. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Amelia Island has 2 big events every year. The Concours d’Elegance car show in March and the Shrimp Festival in May. For the last 2 Mays, the shrimp festival has been cancelled due to Covid.  The organizing committee therefore decided to hold a “Falling for Shrimp” festival this weekend. Fun time today with live music, lots of food, and lots of booths filled with art, jewelry, and various knick knacks. 
F4AF9E24-D2EC-4E7A-9B86-83C64AC434CF.thumb.jpeg.21dcf3738b43031ab4a21ea906c53a40.jpeg

54610096-121C-4E84-A0AD-BCCAC9864651.thumb.jpeg.1ac222c55a85fe4abd1896bbfd413925.jpeg

169F4D11-1C5C-4EE5-9CC1-C6F245179127.thumb.jpeg.01a1c9aef7f7f256ecbd673a74d0c37a.jpeg

9675ADFF-D686-4AEE-B708-A3CAFB8BF0D5.thumb.jpeg.edd9b2a2746f458a68d305c089dbbf37.jpeg

467F8A21-3586-44F7-8CF9-544E63DEE484.thumb.jpeg.837ff6374a12e53f262b99503a2acee6.jpeg

1AA551C8-AF23-4C89-AEED-3B2B95735C9C.thumb.jpeg.516247ee77e7ddf2ab60a50c8fa9a123.jpeg

I didn’t see it advertised. We went every year from when my almost 60 year old kids were little. We always parked in a big empty lot full of live oak trees on Centre St. Eventually the owners wised up and started charging. 
There were some wonderful artists and artisans that came every year. The food was good, and sold by various organizations for fundraising. 
I sure hope the festival comes back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I didn’t see it advertised. We went every year from when my almost 60 year old kids were little. We always parked in a big empty lot full of live oak trees on Centre St. Eventually the owners wised up and started charging. 
There were some wonderful artists and artisans that came every year. The food was good, and sold by various organizations for fundraising. 
I sure hope the festival comes back. 

We almost missed it.  We only learned of it from our neighbors, so it may not have been well publicized.  This was not the full sized festival.  That will still happen in May.  This was more of a half sized event.  They didn't do the parade or the decorated shrimp boat competition.  Centre Street was closed from 4th to the Marina.  I've been told that for the regular festival in May, it's closed from 8th to the Marina, with a block closed in each direction off of Centre, and more than 500 vendor booths.  Parking was hard enough this time...can't imagine what it will be like in May.

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So I am reflective tonight ( after a few good cocktails) and I am over whelmed as I near retirement to the outpouring of of love and support I have received from my co workers and management. I just received an incredible email announcement from my boss that really touched me. I am going to post this not to garner any ego gratification, but to say that there are people  in management who do value  employe's contribution.

It reads:

What’s the one thing that’s been delayed more during the pandemic than American Airlines flights?  Greg Steele’s retirement cruise! 

But the time has finally come.  Greg sets sail on November 1st – a day after his retirement on Friday, October 29th.  Despite all the delays caused by the pandemic, there has been a bright spot.  We’ve been able to keep Greg around and take advantage of his creativity and exceptional editing skills for several additional months.  

It’s been the icing on the cake for a career that’s spanned over 38 years.  Greg’s first full-time gig at KMBC started in 1983 as a photographer.  Since then, he’s covered hundreds of Chiefs games,  a Royals World Series, 3 KU Final Four’s, 2 presidential debates, and a Republican National Convention while traveling all over the US, parts of Europe, Asia, and Canada.  His work has been recognized with 6 Emmy’s and 2 regional Murrow awards.  His work on countless specials has helped KMBC & KCWE to be recognized nationwide for excellence.  To say Greg has contributed to the successes of our news department would be an understatement.  Greg’s creativity and skills have set a standard for all of us to work toward in the future.

Although I’ve only had the opportunity to work with Greg for a small part of his career – please allow me one personal memory.  Shortly after I came ashore here…. I asked people to share their thoughts on “who we were” as a television station.  Greg showed up with a two page written letter.  He wrote about our history.  He wrote about what we’ve meant to Kansas City.  He wrote about what working here means for many of you.  He offered idea after idea – many of which made their way into our planning.  I thanked him then.  And I thank him now for all he’s contributed over the years.  We can all hope for such an important legacy.

We’ll be celebrating his impressive career on Friday, 10/29.  We invite you all to join us in the newsroom to mark this milestone in Greg’s life.  More details to come on that.  Until then… please feel free to drop by the “Steele Suite”, keep your distance, and wish him good luck on his next voyage!

Congratulations, Greg.  And thank you for your service to our city.

DanO

Congratulations Greg (almost)!  Sounds like you are a real asset to KMBC and well liked by your coworkers.  What a great way to head into retirement.

I was the boss of many people throughout my career and one of the more enjoyable tasks was celebrating retirements and service anniversaries.  It's great to get away from the day to day stuff and focus on something very positive.  And it really does have a great impact on the person being celebrated.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I wish I could get your movie to play. 

Posting videos is driving me nuts.  I made that post from my iPhone and I can see the video when looking at the post on my phone.  If I try to look at it on my computer, it says that the video is not found.  That's a poor error message as the video is really there.  I've copied videos from my phone to my computer, loaded it into the Microsoft Video Editor app, and then immediately save as an .mp4 format rather than the default .mov format on my phone.  That seems to work, but is a PIA as videos are usually too big to email and I need to connect the phone to the computer via cable and then find the right video file.  I've tried changing the default format on my phone from High Efficiency to Most Compatible, which changes from HEVC format to H.264, but it still uses the .mov container (and has some other drawbacks).  Anyone have any suggestions?  I hate it when I can't figure out a technical solution to something.

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Posting videos is driving me nuts.  I made that post from my iPhone and I can see the video when looking at the post on my phone.  If I try to look at it on my computer, it says that the video is not found.  That's a poor error message as the video is really there.  I've copied videos from my phone to my computer, loaded it into the Microsoft Video Editor app, and then immediately save as an .mp4 format rather than the default .mov format on my phone.  That seems to work, but is a PIA as videos are usually too big to email and I need to connect the phone to the computer via cable and then find the right video file.  I've tried changing the default format on my phone from High Efficiency to Most Compatible, which changes from HEVC format to H.264, but it still uses the .mov container (and has some other drawbacks).  Anyone have any suggestions?  I hate it when I can't figure out a technical solution to something.

I can't watch your videos either. I have a suggestion.... get an android phone.☺😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

No worries, I know the MOV format has been an issue for many.  It was just funny that I was reading FB and my friends posted they were are at the shrimp and pirate festival, argh, and then I started reading here and you had posted your pictures and video.  I don't have any suggestions on what to do but don't worry about it on my account. 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't watch your videos either. I have a suggestion.... get an android phone.☺😇

Out of curiosity, are you watching on your computer or on your phone?  My guess is that anyone using an iPhone (and probably a Mac computer) can watch but not those using Android or Windows.

Greg, so excited for your upcoming retirement.

Welcome to the club.

Enjoy as you take the time to do all the things you have dreamed of.

The first month after I retired I wondered if I made the right decision to retire early.

So, I went back and offered 8 days to help out in the short staffing.  After the first day I realized this was not retirement.  I fulfilled my commitment and lived happily ever after.

My doubts were not real, and in-fact, I have never been happier.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

My early shifts at work started at 5.30 so I was up at 3.45 to get there a few minutes early,  have coffee and get our ticket desk open and set up . I've heard that the earlies are now 5am start.  

Once I was on the road I liked the quiet dark roads , driving to work with the radio on.

But this body was ready to give up shift work when I retired last year 

Before college I worked 2nd shift at BF Goodrich. Yes, we're the other guys.  I would go in at 3pm.  We usually got off at midnight but during the busy months we worked unti 2am or longer. After work me and another guy would sometimes go get breakfast. On those days I would hit the bed about the time the sun was coming up.  Guess that is how I became a night owl.  

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Out of curiosity, are you watching on your computer or on your phone?  My guess is that anyone using an iPhone (and probably a Mac computer) can watch but not those using Android or Windows.

Android.... Samsung Galaxy S8.

11 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Greg, so excited for your upcoming retirement.

Welcome to the club.

Enjoy as you take the time to do all the things you have dreamed of.

The first month after I retired I wondered if I made the right decision to retire early.

So, I went back and offered 8 days to help out in the short staffing.  After the first day I realized this was not retirement.  I fulfilled my commitment and lived happily ever after.

My doubts were not real, and in-fact, I have never been happier.

Your comments are interesting to read. Right now I can't imagine not doing what I do. Not that every day is all peaches and cream (or pizza in my world...😄) but for the most part I still love what I do.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So I am reflective tonight ( after a few good cocktails) and I am over whelmed as I near retirement to the outpouring of of love and support I have received from my co workers and management. I just received an incredible email announcement from my boss that really touched me. I am going to post this not to garner any ego gratification, but to say that there are people  in management who do value  employe's contribution.

It reads:

What’s the one thing that’s been delayed more during the pandemic than American Airlines flights?  Greg Steele’s retirement cruise! 

But the time has finally come.  Greg sets sail on November 1st – a day after his retirement on Friday, October 29th.  Despite all the delays caused by the pandemic, there has been a bright spot.  We’ve been able to keep Greg around and take advantage of his creativity and exceptional editing skills for several additional months.  

It’s been the icing on the cake for a career that’s spanned over 38 years.  Greg’s first full-time gig at KMBC started in 1983 as a photographer.  Since then, he’s covered hundreds of Chiefs games,  a Royals World Series, 3 KU Final Four’s, 2 presidential debates, and a Republican National Convention while traveling all over the US, parts of Europe, Asia, and Canada.  His work has been recognized with 6 Emmy’s and 2 regional Murrow awards.  His work on countless specials has helped KMBC & KCWE to be recognized nationwide for excellence.  To say Greg has contributed to the successes of our news department would be an understatement.  Greg’s creativity and skills have set a standard for all of us to work toward in the future.

Although I’ve only had the opportunity to work with Greg for a small part of his career – please allow me one personal memory.  Shortly after I came ashore here…. I asked people to share their thoughts on “who we were” as a television station.  Greg showed up with a two page written letter.  He wrote about our history.  He wrote about what we’ve meant to Kansas City.  He wrote about what working here means for many of you.  He offered idea after idea – many of which made their way into our planning.  I thanked him then.  And I thank him now for all he’s contributed over the years.  We can all hope for such an important legacy.

We’ll be celebrating his impressive career on Friday, 10/29.  We invite you all to join us in the newsroom to mark this milestone in Greg’s life.  More details to come on that.  Until then… please feel free to drop by the “Steele Suite”, keep your distance, and wish him good luck on his next voyage!

Congratulations, Greg.  And thank you for your service to our city.

DanO

Greg, wonderful letter!  Thanks for sharing.  You have every right to feel proud of your accomplishments.

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Your comments are interesting to read. Right now I can't imagine not doing what I do. Not that every day is all peaches and cream (or pizza in my world...😄) but for the most part I still love what I do.

That's how I could tell I was ready for retirement.  My love for what I was doing was waning.  There's always a part of (almost) any job that you don't like, paperwork, dealing with people that you don't want to deal with, etc.  The good part usually outweighs the bad part.  When the bad part started outweighing the good part, and medicine started being necessary for hypertension, I knew it was time.  So long as you love what you're doing, keep doing it!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Looks yummy Graham,  what is Pauline's meal. The weather yesterday was awful. I managed a walk early in the day with Molly the Collie , then it rained nonstop all day 

Cumberland sausage and mash with a side of vegetables Sue.

Screenshot_20211003_094810.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After our grandson’s game, we walked at the lake.  We have seen this poor goose every day for the last week.  It has either an injured leg or foot.  He walks very gingerly or keeps the foot off the ground. 

BAEEFC3C-0D23-4A99-B731-71CDA6CED698.thumb.jpeg.fc721b90538ef6e0f32ea7593f69c4ab.jpeg

All of the other geese are in groups, but none will come near him.  I guess he has been ostracized.  

Our afternoon was spent cleaning up most of the outdoor furniture and putting it away for the winter.  Another nice day tomorrow, but I will probably spend time winterizing the boat and putting it away for the winter.  

14 hours ago, Keksie said:

Do you have a wildlife rescue group you could call about the goose.  We have had a couple of geese in this year for different problems.  They have all been treated and released.

Poor ducky. I was going to suggest the same thing. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I tried both my iPhone and my Windows laptop.

I copied the video to my computer and transcoded it.  Should be able to watch now.  The video is nothing special (unless you happen to see your friends in it).  I'm doing this mostly to confirm that it works.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dbancroft said:

Today was our 39th wedding anniversary we usually cruise to celebrate but not this year. I am still home zooming the 2 grandkids while their parents work. Our next cruise is in January with Disney but we will probably switch that to 2023. We will finally be cruising August 2022 on the Oasis out of Jersey. 

Congratulations on your anniversary.

12 hours ago, h20skibum said:

The ones we have are about an hour or more away, and you have to take the injured bird to them.  

The only one local just handles cats and dogs.  

Check FB to see if there is a local group that helps injured animals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I copied the video to my computer and transcoded it.  Should be able to watch now.  The video is nothing special (unless you happen to see your friends in it).  I'm doing this mostly to confirm that it works.

Thanks for going to all that effort.  I don't see them but the building to the left looks like someplace they have posted pictures from.  Thanks. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I can watch it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I think the name of the street you are trying to remember was Livingston St.

The headquarters for the NYC Board of Ed was 110 Livingston Street.

i seem to recall that I went there for a physical and fingerprinting as the last of a three part process to get my NYC Teaching License.

The other two parts of the process were a written exam and then an oral exam. The oral exam took place at Brooklyn Tech. The license candidate was asked questions pertaining to teaching and classroom management by three examiners in the room. It was quite a nerve wracking experience.

I graduated from Queens College in 1974 with a BS degree in Elementary Education. It was a difficult time to find a teaching job. NYC was in a financial crisis ,causing the license exam process to be well  over a year,as I recall.

Although I did earn the license, I never used it to teach in the NYC school system. 

My first teaching job was in a parochial school. Thirty five years later, I retired as a Reading Specialist from a school district on Eastern Long  Island.

Having a NYC license was considered to be an asset as part of a teacher’ s resume. I was glad that I had it even if the process was long,tedious and a bit stressful.

My wife and I graduated from Brooklyn College.When we were students there nearly every female student majored in Education.My wife did not .She majored in History with a minor in Economics and became a NYC Social Worker.Eleven years later after our children were born she went back to college and received a BS in Nursing and worked in a Brooklyn Hospital till retiring in 2008.

I majored in Psychology with a dual major in Sociology ,a minor in English with a concentration in Literature.I worked briefly for the NYC Department of Social Service in Brooklyn and then went into private industry.

Many of our friends became teachers and our children have been teachers for many years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dbancroft said:

Today was our 39th wedding anniversary 

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy Anniversary.

12 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Happy 39th.  

12 hours ago, Lionesss said:

@dbancroft

Congratulations on your great milestone, 39 years married.

I am sure you have many great memories.

Stay healthy

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy 39th wedding anniversary.

+ 5 🌷

• Like 1