Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

32 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I also bought the trimmed.

I have found that their whole filets are as good as any I've ever bought. I usually get 12-13 steaks 1.5 - 2 inches thick and some little scraps that make for good steak bites. In the end it is cheaper than buying individually at the store.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Mainly I'm worried about getting 'pinged' by track and trace…… 

What is track and trace?

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

You have to be extremely focused to get out of there with a bill under $ 100. The only way you even have a chance is DO NOT get a cart !

Maybe that’s our problem. 😁

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Made a trip there yesterday.  It was without a cart as I only needed one thing....a whole beef tenderloin for last nights dinner.  Previously they were always around $125 to $135, this was even as recent as a few months back.  I guess summer bbq'ing season has driven up demand as the least expensive one I could find was $192 with most at around $225

Most of the 180.00 we spent this morning was from meat. Prices are crazy. 🥩

58 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

👎 😢  Is that in US $ ?

Yes $$$$$ unfortunately.

Edited - I just realized you were quoting Ken which would be Canadian money.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

How is it known the number of new cases if hospitalization wasn’t required?  Were the numbers from contact tracing resulting in tests of people not aware they had it?

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In all likelihood the numbers could be much higher, those numbers would only be for those tested.  many getting it after having the vaccine are asymptomatic ad would never know

It started with one (unvaxxed) kid, who returned from a trip abroad with his whole family. All the others were fully vaxxed. Turns out he was sick with the Delta variant, his class and teachers were sent for checks, dozens were positives, teachers who teach in different classes the same, and so it spread to the sports classes, to the afternoon music/art activities, and so on....

It spread like fire. 

Contact tracing found more and more positives, who were quarantined....

A good friend of ours, 75 years old, fully vaxxed among the first ones, since he still consults at the biggest hospital in Tel Aviv (rheumatology). He is also in the hospital's control group of antibodies. A month ago he had a very good level of them.

He is sick with not so mild symptoms for the last 10 days. Cannot tract contact....

His wife is negative. 

They're the oldest in our group and we didn't saw them for more than an year, since they were more vary of getting out and about....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

No worse than the cows, chickens, pigs suffer.  Actually maybe a bit nicer way to go in a sauna than a slaughter house.  😄 

I think about that, too. I have often thought that I should stop contributing to the issue and become vegetarian. However, I never get any further than thinking about it.😏 Though I have not touched veal in years. It is horrible what happens to baby calfs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What is track and trace?

"The powers to be" have our mobile number and we get an alert if we've been in contact with a positive case, we're asked to get tested, and if also positive -- to be quarantined.

If quarantined -- the police are checking on us -- we have to wave from the window, or balcony, etc. to show that we're home....

Quite against privacy and human rights.

Hard on those who cheat on spouses......................... 😉

• Like 5

On 7/18/2021 at 7:37 AM, bobmacliberty said:

I had 2 objectives last night.  One turned out to be a success, and the other not (at least not yet).  I liked V Pizza so much the other night that we decided to try the new one near us.  Equally good.  Here's their Signature Margherita:

IMG_7344.thumb.jpg.0653584207c40f7e460cdbc605c36659.jpg

Objective 2 was to get some Melleti Amaro and make one of @Sea Dog's Old Fashioneds.   My local liquor store, which is small but has a good selection, said they sold their last bottle the day before.  There were a couple of other brands of Amaro on the shelf but I know that Amaros can vary in taste, so I'll wait and get it at a larger store a little further away.  The wait will make the taste even better.

While looking for the Amaro, I did see a bottle of Melleti Limoncello.  @John&LaLa @Ocean Boy...you guys have talked about (and made) Limoncello before.  Do you drink it straight?  Mix it in a drink?  I'm intrigued and always looking to expand my list of drinks that I like.

I am non of the above, but I like it straight right out of the freezer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lionesss  I certainly admire your creativity.  I'm sure both grandmother's were looking down and smiling. 

My solution to that awfully sweet bottle of limoncello OB has in his freezer would be to add it to some Del's. 

Add me to the list of people who would take a pizza over lobster.  Each summer my MIL would make about a dozen baked, stuffed lobsters for our family get together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheal said:

@Lionesss  I certainly admire your creativity.  I'm sure both grandmother's were looking down and smiling. 

My solution to that awfully sweet bottle of limoncello OB has in his freezer would be to add it to some Del's. 

Add me to the list of people who would take a pizza over lobster.  Each summer my MIL would make about a dozen baked, stuffed lobsters for our family get together.

I was thinking maybe mix it with vodka like in a martini to cut the sweetness. I'll try it sometime.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think about that, too. I have often thought that I should stop contributing to the issue and become vegetarian. However, I never get any further than thinking about it.😏 Though I have not touched veal in years. It is horrible what happens to baby calfs.

My wife still believes(or wants to believe)our steak and veal comes from those styrofoam packs you get in the grocery store, not from any of those amimals that are grazing in the farmers fields. I just wink at her and say yeah you are right!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

As of mid June, when the "masks indoor required" was lifted, we're experiencing a huge surge in cases (from 4 to more than 1000 per day) due to the Delta variant.

40% of the positives are Pfizer fully vaccinated.

No surge in hospitalizations and death.

That’s disheartening to hear that 40% are Pfizer fully vaccinated. I know vaccinated can get it, but 40% is sad. 😢 

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

That’s disheartening to hear that 40% are Pfizer fully vaccinated. I know vaccinated can get it, but 40% is sad. 😢 

Agree, very disheartening. That's why the "powers to be" are quite bewildered. The most vaxxed country in the world, and now -- this.

I'm so very saddened -- it seems to me that "round and round we go" and there is no end to it....

Every time it seems we see "the light", another variant appears and presto -- we're back to square one [again].

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Just heard from the venue,  no masks, and dancing allowed,  yippee 

Wonderful news!

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

As of mid June, when the "masks indoor required" was lifted, we're experiencing a huge surge in cases (from 4 to more than 1000 per day) due to the Delta variant.

40% of the positives are Pfizer fully vaccinated.

No surge in hospitalizations and death.

Indoor masks required again. Powers that be quite clueless.... and the population is like "oh, no, not again, been there, done that"....

At least hospitalization is down and folks aren't getting quite as ill.  There HAS to be an end to this somewhere, somehow!

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In all likelihood the numbers could be much higher, those numbers would only be for those tested.  many getting it after having the vaccine are asymptomatic ad would never know

Exactly. Those asymptomatic people without knowing it, spreads the virus, and so it goes unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I had lunch with a "new" friend a few years ago.  We discussed diets, recipes, etc.  I asked if she noticed how expensive veal chops were (no longer available now), she responded "my family doesn't eat baby animals".  I don't recall how I responded.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

They are testing positive but not necessarily sick. That is how vaccines work. If you come in contact with the virus you will test positive.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m sitting here reading the recent posts and am reminded once again how wonderful this thread is.  It just keeps toddling along with several different topics going at once (food, gardens, hobbies, travels, weddings, etc).  Posters just chime in whenever & wherever they want, almost always kindly, respectfully, helpful, supportive.  Thank you again @dani negreanu

If only every thread on CC was the same.Perchance to dream.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What is track and trace?

Maybe that’s our problem. 😁

Track/Test and Trace is done by Bluetooth on the UK NHS covid19 app.

If you have been near someone or place where someone has tested positive your app is pinged to advise you to isolate or get a covid19 test.

Screenshot_20210719_180829_uk.nhs.covid19.production.jpg

Screenshot_20210719_180811_uk.nhs.covid19.production.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Good morning Graham. That sounds like a nice day. We will be going to Costco which is nothing of interest. The garden sounds lovely.

We haven’t been since early 2020. I did hear no samples any more. I always wanted to stop and get a hot dog since several friends go to Costco for their hot dog lunch. I hope they still do food and have the picnic tables available. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I called at the bank everyone wore masks.

I called in a post office/convenience store and only 1 person wasn't wearing a mask.

Pauline went into Morrison's supermarket and all the customers were wearing masks.

Social distancing has gone but if everyone wears a mask while walking around indoors it will protect everyone.

Very few people in masks in Northeast Florida except in doctor’s offices, where they are required. 
on the other hand, because of the Delta Variant, our hospitals are running out of room. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Should really be pretty up there in Sapphire Valley I should think! 🙂 

We have been doing the dreaded drive up to north eastern Maine with the "land yacht" for years, mostly because we could take our fur babies with us.  Now...last fur baby passed into kitty cat heaven two years ago, then Covid hit last year.  

Sooo..this year we flew up, rented an SUV, and doing rental homes.  Has been working out well so far, though a pricier way to go....then again...if we sell the land yacht...not so bad after all.  😉 

You have had a variety of views, stores, and places to visit, so flying and renting various homes has been a win win, I think. 
My lungs are going downhill pretty quickly, so no more long walks in the woods, and, especially, clambering over rocks in places like Pemaquid Point. 
keep posting photos so I can enjoy vicariously!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Made a trip there yesterday.  It was without a cart as I only needed one thing....a whole beef tenderloin for last nights dinner.  Previously they were always around $125 to $135, this was even as recent as a few months back.  I guess summer bbq'ing season has driven up demand as the least expensive one I could find was $192 with most at around $225

😱

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

A good friend of ours, 75 years old, fully vaxxed among the first ones, since he still consults at the biggest hospital in Tel Aviv (rheumatology). He is also in the hospital's control group of antibodies. A month ago he had a very good level of them.

He is sick with not so mild symptoms for the last 10 days. Cannot tract contact....

His wife is negative. 

Not good to hear that a fully vaxxed person is experiencing not so mild symptoms.    I wish him a full and speedy recovery and for his wife to remain negative.

I was speaking with one of my neighbors this weekend (the one who lost his wife to covid earlier this year).   He continues to struggle with blood clots in his legs ever since he had covid.   Was never a concern pre-covid.    He is still very fatigued and he had covid Feb/March.       At least his long term side effects are not as bad as some others and he is very grateful to be alive.     

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

We haven’t been since early 2020. I did hear no samples any more. I always wanted to stop and get a hot dog since several friends go to Costco for their hot dog lunch. I hope they still do food and have the picnic tables available. 

Our Costco has started giving samples and the picnic tables came back about a month ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What is track and trace?

It's actually test and trace , my error. 

Last summer we were all encouraged to download the NHS covid app. The Bluetooth will notify if you have been near anyone for a certain amount of time who has tested positive and you get pinged to either take a test or self isolate depending on the length of contact. 

The apps also used to sign in via a QR code at restaurants pubs and venues . 

The irony is that today,  freedom day , both our PM and Chancellor have been pinged to isolate for 10 days because our health secretary has covid and they were in meetings with him on Friday 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1