Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A question for the people who live in NJ or spent time on the Jersey shore in the early 70’s

There was an ice cream parlor that we called The White House but I do not think it was the real name. I am trying to recall the real name but I cannot.They sold the best ice cream that I ever ate and it was always mobbed.

It wasnt on long beach island, at least I never heard of one called the White House. 

I tried to google and no luck so far.

We were very happy when we arrived at our shore house today.  The September tenants that left yesterday left the place immaculate.  Even left us a really nice note thanking us for renting for September and what a good time they had at the annual chowderfest this past weekend.  

We have been renting 2 weeks to them in summer for at least 10 yrs and hopefully many more.

My neighbor was telling me the husband was raking the pebble driveway and hosing everything down this weekend.  The outdoor bbq looks spotless.  Wonderful people, quite unlike the nasty can opener lady from earlier this summer.

I walked down to beach before dinner but breezy and real choppy waves, gloomy and muggy day.  

Hope for good weather in morning to go for bike ride.

Being lazy and watching tv tonight as we settle in for our stay.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have played more than 100 LCR games and have yet to win,

The funny thing is he had never heard of it. For some reason he was just lucky. Of course, we played for small change, quarters, I think, do ge didn’t get rich. 
He did feel a little better about my Roll Call friends, though. 

• Like 1

Well, I had a non routine day here, actually, the whole weekend was very non routine for me. Although I have been thinking about it for quite some time, I started to do some research on it Saturday.  It’s been about nine years since my last dog had died.  Lucas was 19 years old when he died peacefully in his sleep.  I’ve been going back and forth over the years if I wanted to go through the whole training and loving and eventual heartbreak again.

So, since I am the full time caregiver for my mom with her weekly chemo treatments and newly diagnosed Parkinson’s, my traveling days are over for a while unless someone comes to stay with her 24/7 while I’m gone.

I googled animal shelters for Okaloosa County, and it just happens to be a couple fo miles from me.   I went Saturday to ask for some information and what the process is here, since it varies my county and state. I talked with the very nice people there and looked through their book of dogs.  They didn’t have an area where you could walk by and window shop the kennels.  I told them that my only requirement was that the dog be house broken, since I didn’t want to deal with the mess since I don’t have a private yard and I’m on the second floor.

I saw one that looked nice, cute expression on his face and within minutes Oliver was in a room with me. He came right over to me and put his head on my leg and lifted his paw up in a motion fr me to pet him. So I did.  He was very gentle, calm and affectionate. 

They then brought Milo to me since they said he might be a better fit for my sistuation.  Although Milo was a cute, medium size dog, he just wasn’t that interested in me.  He only came to me if I gave him treats, then left as soon as they were gone.  They then paraded a few others in front of me, but none had the connection with me as Oliver.

I asked them what the process was for adopting a dog, thinking it was a long drawn out process as when I thought to do it in Palm Beach County, FL.   or the brief stint I had in Asheville, NC.  Both places had background checks, home visits, mandatory classes to take.  But here, she just asked me if I wanted to take him home for a “slumber party”?  She said they are closed Sunday and Monday and to let them know on Tuesday if I wanted to keep him or return him. 

I filled out a one page form with my name, address, phone number and DL number.  That was it, they never even asked to look at my ID.  They gave me a leash, a harness and a bag of dog food and said to have a good weekend.

As Oliver and I were driving home, I started to think, “what’s wrong with this dog, that was was too easy and quick”

He walked up the first four steps to the second floor, but would not go past that landing where the stairs turned.  He wouldn’t budge.  So I patent

y waited and coaxed him up the stairs.  He finally made it up the next eight steps in about ten minutes.  Once inside he looked and sniffed a bit then went and jumped on the couch.  I said “no Oliver, that’s my side” and I pointed to his side.  He scooted over and has claimed that as his spot from then on.

It’s been a very easy transition once he mastered the stairs.  He listens well, knows basic directions, is house broken, and most importantly he doesn’t bark or whine. And I haven’t caught him chewing on anything, probably due to his age.  He is a bit over four years old. 

The first few days he has been my shadow, won’t leave my side.  He is very cuddly for being a bigger dog.  He is a yellow and white Labrador mix. We are still learning about each other but he is such a sweetie.  Believe it or not, my mom actually likes him.  All of her dogs in the past have been the smaller happy dogs.

Without any further ado, I would like all of you to meet Oliver.

0DD94315-E076-41C2-A947-7F7E231B9BD7.thumb.jpeg.0069a44be455634bd0b890a197fc5ac4.jpeg9FF715F5-2314-4B88-A220-90547EB45F0E.thumb.jpeg.0a2451de72939c22d93362eeafdb0cbd.jpegECE54177-205F-47A5-A0D7-8504E91ED02D.thumb.jpeg.5d7588ec11f08295ffd3aa8b5e09d6ad.jpegB36F5608-76E1-4000-917E-3CA0895FF4CC.thumb.jpeg.bf713851c55438ec7289f017bf99032d.jpegB77480E6-8246-49A0-B760-61BBDD392C58.thumb.jpeg.ed50322368aae23bb4830fc8c9e6848f.jpeg

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Well, I had a non routine day here, actually, the whole weekend was very non routine for me. Although I have been thinking about it for quite some time, I started to do some research on it Saturday.  It’s been about nine years since my last dog had died.  Lucas was 19 years old when he died peacefully in his sleep.  I’ve been going back and forth over the years if I wanted to go through the whole training and loving and eventual heartbreak again.

So, since I am the full time caregiver for my mom with her weekly chemo treatments and newly diagnosed Parkinson’s, my traveling days are over for a while unless someone comes to stay with her 24/7 while I’m gone.

I googled animal shelters for Okaloosa County, and it just happens to be a couple fo miles from me.   I went Saturday to ask for some information and what the process is here, since it varies my county and state. I talked with the very nice people there and looked through their book of dogs.  They didn’t have an area where you could walk by and window shop the kennels.  I told them that my only requirement was that the dog be house broken, since I didn’t want to deal with the mess since I don’t have a private yard and I’m on the second floor.

I saw one that looked nice, cute expression on his face and within minutes Oliver was in a room with me. He came right over to me and put his head on my leg and lifted his paw up in a motion fr me to pet him. So I did.  He was very gentle, calm and affectionate. 

They then brought Milo to me since they said he might be a better fit for my sistuation.  Although Milo was a cute, medium size dog, he just wasn’t that interested in me.  He only came to me if I gave him treats, then left as soon as they were gone.  They then paraded a few others in front of me, but none had the connection with me as Oliver.

I asked them what the process was for adopting a dog, thinking it was a long drawn out process as when I thought to do it in Palm Beach County, FL.   or the brief stint I had in Asheville, NC.  Both places had background checks, home visits, mandatory classes to take.  But here, she just asked me if I wanted to take him home for a “slumber party”?  She said they are closed Sunday and Monday and to let them know on Tuesday if I wanted to keep him or return him. 

I filled out a one page form with my name, address, phone number and DL number.  That was it, they never even asked to look at my ID.  They gave me a leash, a harness and a bag of dog food and said to have a good weekend.

As Oliver and I were driving home, I started to think, “what’s wrong with this dog, that was was too easy and quick”

He walked up the first four steps to the second floor, but would not go past that landing where the stairs turned.  He wouldn’t budge.  So I patent

y waited and coaxed him up the stairs.  He finally made it up the next eight steps in about ten minutes.  Once inside he looked and sniffed a bit then went and jumped on the couch.  I said “no Oliver, that’s my side” and I pointed to his side.  He scooted over and has claimed that as his spot from then on.

It’s been a very easy transition once he mastered the stairs.  He listens well, knows basic directions, is house broken, and most importantly he doesn’t bark or whine. And I haven’t caught him chewing on anything, probably due to his age.  He is a bit over four years old. 

The first few days he has been my shadow, won’t leave my side.  He is very cuddly for being a bigger dog.  He is a yellow and white Labrador mix. We are still learning about each other but he is such a sweetie.  Believe it or not, my mom actually likes him.  All of her dogs in the past have been the smaller happy dogs.

0DD94315-E076-41C2-A947-7F7E231B9BD7.thumb.jpeg.0069a44be455634bd0b890a197fc5ac4.jpeg9FF715F5-2314-4B88-A220-90547EB45F0E.thumb.jpeg.0a2451de72939c22d93362eeafdb0cbd.jpegECE54177-205F-47A5-A0D7-8504E91ED02D.thumb.jpeg.5d7588ec11f08295ffd3aa8b5e09d6ad.jpegB36F5608-76E1-4000-917E-3CA0895FF4CC.thumb.jpeg.bf713851c55438ec7289f017bf99032d.jpegB77480E6-8246-49A0-B760-61BBDD392C58.thumb.jpeg.ed50322368aae23bb4830fc8c9e6848f.jpeg

Hello Oliver, Welcome to the group.  🤗

When you said he came into the room and put his head on your lap and gave you paw motion to pet him, I just knew you would be taking him home.

He looks like a sweet boy,  love his white streak.

Did they give you any info on his past?

That's good your Mom likes him too as he will probably be good for her too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Congratulations Lucas! :classic_biggrin: He looks like a sweetheart! We are so happy for you both. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hello Oliver, Welcome to the group.  🤗

When you said he came into the room and put his head on your lap and gave you paw motion to pet him, I just knew you would be taking him home.

He looks like a sweet boy,  love his white streak.

Did they give you any info on his past?

That's good your Mom likes him too as he will probably be good for her too!

I also knew he would be leaving with me, but I wanted to at least see a few others.  It’s kind of like not buying the first house or car that you look at. LOL 

They gave me a full history on him.  He was given to the shelter as a puppy that someone found wandering around town.  He was adopted by a married couple that had him for almost four years.  They were going through a nasty divorce and gave Oliver back to the shelter in August 2021.  Then came me. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

And the cats eat this plant? 

This is a photo of a young Gus with cat mint, which is also a Nepeta variant. I always have it in my yard- the cats really like it. That’s 2 houses ago.

I am now a grandmother!  My daughter doesn’t want photos of the baby posted, but after an emergency c-section, she and the baby are both doing well. His lungs seem to be very healthy! The new parents are a bit frazzled, but totally in love with their little boy. 

7F8999A0-6F1E-48A9-9DB0-CDECB39161D5.jpeg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

Yummy.  Come be my bartender.  

Anytime I have been enjoying how to mix cocktails. I'm no pro but pour the booze heavy handed.

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

refer to my TA, it’s Sharon.  She is still arranging thing on the cruise.

That's really nice to have. A real pro you so you don't have to worry about anything.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Is that a Lava Flow or a Coco Loco?  I think that a Coco Loco is the same as a Labadoozie, and sounds similar to @Sea Dog's recipe.  The only frozen drink that I typically order is a Miami Vice...half strawberry daquiri and half pina colada.

They are very similar but the recipe for the Coco Loco I have is this:

Coco Loco Ingredients

Makes one cocktail

• 1/2 oz Orange Juice Concentrate
  • 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice Concentrate
  • 1/2 oz Papaya Juice Concentrate
  • 1/2 oz Coconut Cream
  • 3/4 oz Dark Rum (Or make it a virgin Coco Loco without the rum)
  • 3/4 oz Coconut Rum
  • 1/4 oz Grenadine
  • Crushed ice

So the Lava flow is more about the strawberry and banana combo. Both are fantastic. I do love a good MasterCard cocktail too.

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

0DD94315-E076-41C2-A947-7F7E231B9BD7.thumb.jpeg.0069a44be455634bd0b890a197fc5ac4.jpeg

What a beautiful Dog. Welcome Oliver. Drop on by the Friends of Bella and introduce yourself to Bella.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hate to disappoint you, but I just did some research and found that the record for the greatest number of posts on any message board is in the neighborhood of 121,000!!!  I think that due to the nature of the topic (which of course was borne out of the whole 'lockdown' situation that we can all relate to in varying degrees), it has been left to just go on and on, diverging into general chit-chat about anything and everything. In "normal" times - especially with a topic that applied to gathering some sort of specific info, don't you think a moderator might have already shut this thread down? I've seen it happen all the time depending on the extent to which threads are monitored. On one forum that I'm a member of - if people get off-topic after a few posts there is inevitably a notice to refocus or else start a different thread for whatever concern or comment, etc. that does not pertain to the OP. If the off-topic responses continue, then threads are typically locked. In some forums, there is often a "anything else" or "living room chat"-type section of the forum. 

In this case, though, the whole "routine day in lockdown" thing is still sort of applicable. Even once (if?) the pandemic essentially fizzles out, I suspect this thread might just roll on and on. For me, personally, not being much of a social media aficionado other than to frequent forums to gain specific information rather than engaging in random chatting, I lost interest in this thread probably a few hundred pages ago and was astounded, after returning to CC after being away for an extended time, that this was still going. Rather unprecedented I suppose. I don't see anything even remotely comparable to it on any other parts of CC. Undoubtedly some would say that a thread that just goes on and on is probably a waste of bandwidth...I know...cause I've had people accuse me of it elsewhere. For the current times we're in, though, I suspect many have found it just a means of pleasant diversion and entertainment from the many new stresses we've all experienced since last year. 

This is what I think is a unique thread.  The only other one I can compare this to for tolerance and kindness is the Friends of Bella thread. 

We all came in here when the pandemic started to talk about our every day lives, how we are coping in lockdown.  No politics, no religion, no name calling, no hissy fits.  Some of us knew each other either meeting on cruises or just knowing folks from other threads.  We discuss our daily lives, share wonderful pictures of food porn, travels, family, pets, future/current travels, cruises, favorite drinks, recently even snakes (ugh) and so much more.  Unlike Seinfeld, this is the thread about everything!  Slowly we became a close knit group of people from diverse backgrounds that genuinely care for each other. We rejoice and share in happy moments and give healing prayers and comfort to those in need.

Stick around a 2nd time.  Maybe this time you won't lose interest.

I wouldn't want this wonderful link to my on-line friends ever be removed.

Shout out to Dani for starting us on such a totally awesome online journey!!

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

I am now a grandmother!  My daughter doesn’t want photos of the baby posted, but after an emergency c-section, she and the baby are both doing well. His lungs seem to be very healthy! The new parents are a bit frazzled, but totally in love with their little boy. 

Congratulations on the arrival, even though somewhat chaotic, of your new grandson. Great and exciting days are ahead.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

The funny thing is he had never heard of it. For some reason he was just lucky. Of course, we played for small change, quarters, I think, do ge didn’t get rich. 
He did feel a little better about my Roll Call friends, though. 

I played $1.00 a game on several cruises

13 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

This is what I think is a unique thread.  The only other one I can compare this to for tolerance and kindness is the Friends of Bella thread. 

We all came in here when the pandemic started to talk about our every day lives, how we are coping in lockdown.  No politics, no religion, no name calling, no hissy fits.  Some of us knew each other either meeting on cruises or just knowing folks from other threads.  We discuss our daily lives, share wonderful pictures of food porn, travels, family, pets, future/current travels, cruises, favorite drinks, recently even snakes (ugh) and so much more.  Unlike Seinfeld, this is the thread about everything!  Slowly we became a close knit group of people from diverse backgrounds that genuinely care for each other. We rejoice and share in happy moments and give healing prayers and comfort to those in need.

Stick around a 2nd time.  Maybe this time you won't lose interest.

I wouldn't want this wonderful link to my on-line friends ever be removed.

Shout out to Dani for starting us on such a totally awesome online journey!!

I have been on cruises with Arzeena.I was on one cruise with John R.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

This is a photo of a young Gus with cat mint, which is also a Nepeta variant. I always have it in my yard- the cats really like it. That’s 2 houses ago.

7F8999A0-6F1E-48A9-9DB0-CDECB39161D5.jpeg

Congratulations

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A question for the people who live in NJ or spent time on the Jersey shore in the early 70’s

There was an ice cream parlor that we called The White House but I do not think it was the real name. I am trying to recall the real name but I cannot.They sold the best ice cream that I ever ate and it was always mobbed.

Lenny, did it look like this?

May be an image of road

41 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

Love the picture of Gus in the cat mint.

Welcome, to the Grandmothers Club!  Best wishes to the new parents. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

I also knew he would be leaving with me, but I wanted to at least see a few others.  It’s kind of like not buying the first house or car that you look at. LOL 

They gave me a full history on him.  He was given to the shelter as a puppy that someone found wandering around town.  He was adopted by a married couple that had him for almost four years.  They were going through a nasty divorce and gave Oliver back to the shelter in August 2021.  Then came me. 

How sad that neither of them cared enough to take him with them. Oliver looks like such a sweet dog. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1