Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Since we are in Dallas so we have sailed from Galveston a lot , I like either doubletree in Houston or in Galveston San Luis which is a great high end hotel or Hilton a few blocks away from there . 

I've stayed at the Hilton and would highly recommend it.  The pool swim-up bar is perfect for getting in the cruise frame of mind, especially if you do 2 or 3 night pre-cruise stay. Plenty to do in Galveston. 

@Sea Dog

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4

Hi all, just checking in. Was about 6 degrees F early this morning in North New Jersey. "Warmed" up a bit during the day. Now we are having snow, but it is expected to turn to rain. 

PS I baked some M&M cookies today.....

187074298_tryagain.thumb.jpg.7834b18524b66a56ac352010f27b85a7.jpg

20220116_184217.jpg

• Like 14

@Sea Dog

Should you choose to drive and need parking, this place is literally across the street from the cruise port, although the entrance is in the back of the building so you need to walk around the block. Still, they advertise themselves as closest parking to the pier.

https://*****

EDIT:  I guess the link is a no-no. The name of the facility is Galvenston Park N Cruise.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

After disembarking from Oasis in Miami, we began our post cruise road tour.  Day 1 - after a 475 mile, 8 hour drive, we arrived in Savannah, Georgia.  

We had planned to stay south of here and go to Cumberland island tomorrow, but the weather didn’t look the greatest.  The drive wasn’t too bad, except for about an hour of heavy rain through mid-Florida.  It was clear as we crossed the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville. 

48C95B69-FF38-478D-BEB8-F38A53792670.thumb.jpeg.09cfe6765cd00e2adefa24955090076e.jpeg

It looks like Savannah will be home for a while, until we see how long it takes for cleanup from Izzy on our way home.  Latest forecast is 12 to 18 inches of snow at home.  

I think our extended stay in the warm thinned our blood.  It is 55° F here, and it feels cold.  We are ready to turn around and find another cruise. 🤣🤣

We were driving north from FLL today as well!  Got an alert on DH’s phone that a tornado was forecast in our vicinity.  Yikes!!  We only had wind and rain.  We’re spending the evening in Richmond Hill, GA and will drive home tomorrow.  Forecast looks like only cold where we live.

This was Allure yesterday as she left Nassau.

2FC6A534-5A13-4F7A-8A5F-7B5C3F94B8B8.thumb.jpeg.279066589471b6388d8efe3016e75778.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bmblob said:

Hi Greg and Jane - I don't post much at all but Helen alerted me to your questions - Jane is correct in that the sea wall hotels are about 3 miles from the RCL terminal.  If you have available parking at the sea wall hotel, it would be easier just doing Uber (about $12-14 each way) between the hotel and the terminal.  The near terminal parking lots are fine if you don't have other parking but it is about a 1/2 mile walk across a busy  Harborside Drive.  Given your knee recovery, the walk might be tough to do.  You will enjoy your cruise more if you don't over-strain your knee.

If I may, having both knees replaced at the same time may save some recovery time rather than doing one knee at a time.  I know several who have done so and they have felt that their outcomes and recoveries were smooth and successful.  All have said knee replacement gave them a new lease on being active and enjoying life.  Best of luck to you when you have these done.

Thank you so much for your comments. I have made notes of your Galveston advice. 

Unfortunately my surgeon did not want to do a two for. I will ask him how soon he could do the other knee.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

Since we are in Dallas so we have sailed from Galveston a lot , I like either doubletree in Houston or in Galveston San Luis which is a great high end hotel or Hilton a few blocks away from there . 

San Luis of course is nice. Prices are so high right now. 

I said it would be cheaper to stay in houston or texas city in a nicer hotel and pay for parking. Greg thinks he might want to stay on the ocean. Lol that mariott for almost $300. By hobby is $54 plus tax on priceline and probably nicer lol. To me the prices are so high you expect a much nicer hotel than you will get in Galveston for what you pay. Theres a nice doubletree by hobby under $100 lol. They are charging too much to stay on the ocean since covid. Went way up. All my roll calls are complaining.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@dani negreanu   WISHING YOU AND YOUR DH A HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 🌹🌹
                                                AND A HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DH!!!!!🎈🎈

JANUARY 17, 2022

MAZEL TOV!!!!

+1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@lenquixote66 Happy Anniversary wished to you and Toby. Cheers to you on another milestone.

+1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you so much for your comments. I have made notes of your Galveston advice. 

Unfortunately my surgeon did not want to do a two for. I will ask him how soon he could do the other knee.

Cheers,

Greg

I dont know what kind of doctor marty is, but brilliant I'm sure. Nicest couple ever. Just mentioning his doctoral advise ... he is a doctor lol. 

I wouldnt have thought it was 1/2 mile to where we parked, seemed a hop jump and a skip away. That's why I said ask him, hes more detailed. They stayed at the hobby hilton, very nice but nothing included. Happy hour and breakfast extra. Very pretty hotel though. Hope you get to meet them. We decided to just save our money and stay at hobby airport. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Dani, the happiest and healthiest of Anniversaries to you and your dear husband.  

And, a most wonderful Yom Huledet Samaech to your husband. 

Refuah Shlema to your grandson for a successful surgery and a swift recovery.

Glossary for those not fluent in Hebrew which I'm not.  Really!

Yom Huledet Sameach - Happy Birthday

Refuah Shlema - Swift and complete healing

Lenny, I hope you and Toby have a wonderful and healthy 55th wedding anniversary

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 1:14 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Glad you made it back here safely.  It is funny to read the posts from people that attack and then cry bully when someone disagrees with them though.  

The sad thing is I don’t think they even realize they are attacking others.

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

HI stands for Holiday Inn Old Sydney in the Rocks, which now is called Rydges. It's a mere 5 mins WALK from the OPT. We found the staff, accommodation (modest but very clean) and location excellent.

https://www.rydges.com/accommodation/sydney-nsw/sydney-harbour/

I think that she meant that when ships were docked at OPOT, they hided the Opera House from the coffee shop at the Museum.

Thanks I’ll look into it. Happy Anniversary to you both.

5 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

They do but we haven’t had any cruise ships in Sydney since the start of the pandemic so it has remained empty.  It’s not looking promising for cruising to restart here this year.  Small operators are cruising off WA and QLD but major cruise lines like Carnival Australia and P & O Australia have not resumed operations and no indication yet of when they will.

Thanks for the info. I was really wanting to do a nice long cruise to somewhere else besides the Caribbean. Oh well maybe next year.

@lenquixote66 Happy Anniversary to you both.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, helen haywood said:

We were driving north from FLL today as well!  Got an alert on DH’s phone that a tornado was forecast in our vicinity.  Yikes!!  We only had wind and rain.  We’re spending the evening in Richmond Hill, GA and will drive home tomorrow.  Forecast looks like only cold where we live.

This was Allure yesterday as she left Nassau.

2FC6A534-5A13-4F7A-8A5F-7B5C3F94B8B8.thumb.jpeg.279066589471b6388d8efe3016e75778.jpeg

Safe travels for the rest of your trip. We actually considered going on Allure this week when we saw the forecast. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Anyone see the NBC News story “ NCL Cruise Passengers Stranded At Sea”?  Such a ridiculous, misleading headline. “Stranded at sea”?? Really?? If you’re curious just read the thread about this cruise over on the NCL board ( NCL Gem 1/9).  Sorry, I don’t know how to link other threads. 

I saw that! It is also all over the internet. One woman's name is mentioned over and over (I forgot). She must have broadcast this all over the world.

12 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After disembarking from Oasis in Miami, we began our post cruise road tour.  Day 1 - after a 475 mile, 8 hour drive, we arrived in Savannah, Georgia.  

We had planned to stay south of here and go to Cumberland island tomorrow, but the weather didn’t look the greatest.  The drive wasn’t too bad, except for about an hour of heavy rain through mid-Florida.  It was clear as we crossed the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville. 

48C95B69-FF38-478D-BEB8-F38A53792670.thumb.jpeg.09cfe6765cd00e2adefa24955090076e.jpeg

It looks like Savannah will be home for a while, until we see how long it takes for cleanup from Izzy on our way home.  Latest forecast is 12 to 18 inches of snow at home.  

I think our extended stay in the warm thinned our blood.  It is 55° F here, and it feels cold.  We are ready to turn around and find another cruise. 🤣🤣

Good thinking turning around. Turn around while the drive is not another 15 hours!!!!! We are considering the Odyssey quickie.😁

We love Savannah and stop there very often on our way back home too. We like the Pooler area to stay in, but have stayed in historic district many times. Very nice restaurants. Did the river cruise once and the sunsets are OMG in early June...never seen anythng like that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mets07 said:

Hi all, just checking in. Was about 6 degrees F early this morning in North New Jersey. "Warmed" up a bit during the day. Now we are having snow, but it is expected to turn to rain. 

PS I baked some M&M cookies today.....

187074298_tryagain.thumb.jpg.7834b18524b66a56ac352010f27b85a7.jpg

Looks gorgeous.

But not missing it.😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Have a safe trip home. How was your cruise on the Edge?

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My part of LI is expected to get winds as high as 70 mph.Hopefully we will not lose power.

I hope everyone impacted by the nor'easter is safe and with power.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO Lenny and Toby.

And @dani negreanuDani and your DH.

Congratulations and Best Wishes for many more💐💕

• Like 1