Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I thought Meghan didn't really want much to do with them since they weren't nice to her because of her race? It's really sad they let her be treated that way.

@CVS33  

As the Palace said at the time 'reconciliations may differ' 

The Palace very rarely comments so this was unusual. 

She was universally welcomed into our country and the wedding was a joyus positive happy affair with thousands lining the streets to wish them all the best. 

Two days ago when the brothers and their wives did a walk about outside Windsor castle they were ALL cheered and clapped

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

4 qts is a bit much but cutting it in half will cut the pasta to only 4 oz.  I think I'll put in less crushed tomatoes and broth.  If it looks like it needs more liquid, I'll add as needed.  I like to idea of using a slow cooker.  I don't know the size, but it seems substantial. I especially love the liners which make clean up so easy.

I can't wait to make this soup.  It's got all the ingredients I will use, except for the tabasco. 😏

Recipe is printed out and ready for my upcoming shopping trip. 

Just remember when you put the pasta in it will suck up some of the extra liquid.  We thought it was to much liquid when we were making it but by following the directions it came out just right.

Hardly tasted the teaspoon tabasco, I would double that up next time doing the recipe.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Very nice restoration and keeping his funeral program is very thoughtful.

The owners prior to me were the salt of the earth. Knowing them was an honor. Besides being the custodian of the truck, I am also continuing the legacy of who they were. 

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Is Concours a car show or a leisure location?

It is a car show, but also of competition within your class.  It is held in the 18th fairway on Sunday, and the golfers will be on it the day prior and the again on Monday. It is an overnight transition.  

I have shown 5 times over the years and am also a sponsor.  I have brought home trophies every year but more importantly made long lasting friendships with people from across North America. 

It is a great opportunity to bring people together who have a love of automobiles from all spectrums.  More importantly an opportunity to raise funds within the community. These funds are for local hospitals, as well as a larger regional hospital for their Brain Sciences Centre; for innovative clot-busting stroke treatment, pioneering the use of focused ultrasound technology to safely open the blood-brain barrier, leading-edge imaging processes for dementia research, and ground-breaking discoveries involving the critical role of sleep and the link between mental illness and heart disease. 

It is held at one of Canada’s prestigious golf courses and has been called the best concour in the country.  This is a quick explanation by the MC of the event.  

A further explanation.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@A&L_Ont

At first glance I thought the videos were for Pebble beach and said huh, that's not in Canada, then I realized it was Cobble Beach.  Nice coincidence.

I don't think I have ever recalled seeing a Mercury version of Ford trucks. I imagine that is where the tailgate  in the second picture came from. Or where the Canadian trucks marketed with the Mercury name.

Edited by mo&fran

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Hold back at least until after the cruise.   We want to know you had a safe and fun cruise!

Yes looking back I should have not made the comment. I was in a bad mood.

7 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Ugh. I know that feeling. I once made reservations for a flight home that took off before the ship even docked. Cost me an extra $500.

I hope you can get your original price back.

Reminds me of our Harmony cruise when my bottle of Blanton's bourbon I got in St. Maarten made my suitcase overweight. Instead of repacking I just paid the $75 excess bag fee. Most expensive bottle of bourbon I had ever bought.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Great!   Happy to hear you booked with another hotel and won't start off your trip frustrated😀

Years ago we had issues with a booking made thru expedia travel site and the hotel not honoring the price of our booking and costing us something like $250 more for a weekend trip.  

After that mess we almost always book direct with hotels except for when I use credit card points and book thru them.

Hilton does have a nice honors program. 

We normally have great dealings with Hilton. Linda is on the warpath and is going to call them today. After telling us they would not honor the $200 room rate and are charging us $400, Linda got on the website and found a AARP rate through them that was back to our original rate. I get really tired of hotel rate inconsistencies. 

• Like 14

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Even though she typed it wrong when she made the reservation in January the date would have been valid. I’m just surprised that went through the system like you said if everything did not match.

Linda talked to the hotel but not a manager and she said they couldn’t do anything. Right now we are waiting to see if Booking.com can get Hilton to honor original price. If nothing else we will plead our case when we get to the hotel. One thing they don’t know is that my wife is a bull dog lawyer and really knows how to argue a point. They do not want to see her wrath 😉

If booked directly with Hilton, they do not charge the card till you arrive or on the day of till you do the check in on the app (if you did not book the pre pay option).

Hilton has called us or emailed us in case there is a problem with authorization. I do not know if/how Booking will work with you, bull dog lawyer and all😉😁. This is giving you a lot of stress. And even after all the talking to the manger that you pIan to do, and if it does not work out, you have no room at the last minute. I would sincerely suggest you book another hotel, I agree with GeorgeC on the Double Tree. Hampton Brikell is very good. Hilton Blue Lagoon is good too and usually cheaper prices than the dtn Hilton.

Whatever you do, Greg, just don't take stress over it. I wish you the best hotel outcome. And have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Our cruises in Jan and April on Allure had the perfect number of people aboard.

That’s definitely true. Now it’s at full capacity and it definitely shows. I changed a couple of cruises to solo bookings, but the ones where Mike will be on will be the Harmony January 21st 8 night and the Odyssey February 11th 8 night.

• Like 3

Update. Linda talked to someone at Hilton Downtown Miami who was actually nice and helpful. Rebooked for $218. Sorry to drag all of you along with me. Just glad it's over and lesson learned never book a hotel through a third party.

• Like 29

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Update. Linda talked to someone at Hilton Downtown Miami who was actually nice and helpful. Rebooked for $218. Sorry to drag all of you along with me. Just glad it's over and lesson learned never book a hotel through a third party.

So happy for you.

Don't say sorry at all. We all learnt from your experience.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Pleased to hear it is sorted Greg.

Graham 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great news, now relax and have a wonderful cruise, can't wait to hear about it 😀 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As @Arzeena said, we all learned from your experience. Glad it was sorted out, one less thing to worry about.

I'm always using the official sites, after researching the options on the Booking site.

Hilton offers "senior" rates, which are not available on the third party sites, sometimes with a noticeable difference in rates.

• Like 10

Lizzy is now 15 weeks old. 

Becoming a significant lap cat —spontaneously the minute you sit anywhere. 

In her free time she enjoys zoomies through the kitchen and attempting to eat fish out of the aquarium.  But cannot figure this barrier called glass between her and a snack. 

When she is done playing she just falls down goes “boom” wherever she may be, as she recharges her batteries for next adventure. 

She was a trooper for her first pedicure. We cannot believe the kitty we got!!!

29E50EB8-7C32-4F2E-A735-60D71D8FF9AD.thumb.jpeg.858da34e9c1dec6813a88898ecbea4b3.jpeg

• Like 30

On 9/11/2022 at 8:42 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

@ReneeFLL sorry Renee I don’t know how long the tribute on the Sails will appear.  I suspect at least until the funeral.  If there is anything planned around the 29th Oct in Sydney that I become aware of, I’ll post about it for you.

Thanks. 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, Rubyfisch said:

As someone whose natural skin color could be described as "pale as death," I'm curious about the swim leggings you mentioned. Where did you find them and do you like them?

I’m not Brillohead, but I got mine at UVSkinz. Coolibar is supposed to be good also. I have one like this with the higher neck. They have matching capris and I also have the jacket with the hood.

https://www.uvskinz.com/products/womens-aloha-long-sleeve-sun-swim-shirt

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Very happy you got this resolved and can now enjoy all the final preparation for your cruise.  Hopefully with no more surprises or stress!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm so glad it worked out OK! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Lizzy is now 15 weeks old. 

Becoming a significant lap cat —spontaneously the minute you sit anywhere. 

In her free time she enjoys zoomies through the kitchen and attempting to eat fish out of the aquarium.  But cannot figure this barrier called glass between her and a snack. 

When she is done playing she just falls down goes “boom” wherever she may be, as she recharges her batteries for next adventure. 

She was a trooper for her first pedicure. We cannot believe the kitty we got!!!

29E50EB8-7C32-4F2E-A735-60D71D8FF9AD.thumb.jpeg.858da34e9c1dec6813a88898ecbea4b3.jpeg

I love her face.

• Like 4

Coming out of Lurker Mode. I've been on a bit of a Internet-free break lately. Needed to take a self-imposed time out from reality for a bit.  Pretty much would only get on the World Wide Web to check the weather & come here once in while to "Like/Laugh/Thanks" various posts but sometimes the thread moves so fast, I'm sure I missed some things. I skimmed over several dozen pages in a futile attempt to catch up but I'm sure I missed plenty of topics.

The Queen - not only was the Queen of England but she was Queen of the World.  Universally loved and respected by all (except for the select few that seem to hate everything) and it’s heartwarming to see the outpouring of love and gratitude coming from all corners of the earth. 

Septic Tanks – The first 30 years of my life, I lived where there was city sewers and just assumed it was that way everywhere except for the most remote locations. Well, my house was built in 1964 with a septic tank when this area was still very rural with plenty of farm land. By the time I bought this house in 1993, the area has become heavily “sub-urbanized” and the farms are long gone, replaced by housing developments and strip malls. But I guess it’s too expensive, too many regulations and too time consuming to retrofit city sewers. There has been plenty of talk but never seems to get past the “high in the sky” planning stages. At first, I thought I was going back in time and it would be smelly & yucky but you’d never know I had septic. Honestly, it’s not a big deal, just have to get it pumped every few years and the cost is reasonable.

Remembering names. I bad at it which is why I never attempt to refer to anybody by name here. Unless it’s part of your CC name. I’ll probably remember your car before I can remember your name, like @Lionesss new & old GTO's (hubbys) and @A&L_Ont Storm Trooper, Mustang and vintage pickup trucks, back when pickups were work vehicles and not status symbol, luxury vehicles.  But don't ask me to remember your names, even if it was mentioned 2 pages ago.🙂

@bobmacliberty & @Sea Dog and anyone else going onto a cruise in the new future, have fun. I’m looking forward to your reviews whether it’s a “Live” thread or just a few posts here. It’s how I get my cruise fix.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

My bionic man is no longer bionic.  He had his 2nd wrist surgery this morning to remove all the hardware.  This bandage & splint will stay on for 10 days until the stitches are removed and he can then start a new regimen of PT focusing on motion of the wrist now that the metal plate is out.  5C39A6A7-6153-4690-8B47-8D959831051B.thumb.jpeg.f952101ec3faceeea5f421b12bbeab52.jpeg

• Like 29

So what have I been doing during my “break”?  Drove out to eastern CT for a beach day at Hammonasset Beach State Park.  It was a perfect 10 weather-wise, warm and calm water. It was an ideal way to wind down summer. Which, BTW, is still not over for a few more weeks so keep that pumpkin spice everything away from me! LOL.

Afterwards, I headed up to my brother-in-law (DW brother) for 6 days in upstate NY. He has a house on one of the Finger Lakes - Seneca Lake to be specific. The weather was pretty gloomy for 4 of the 6 days. Heavy overcast and lots of hit and run rain showers that kept everything damp.  This limited the amount of play time on the lake itself but had plenty of time to visit the many wineries and craft breweries in the region and other wise feast like a king! Is it really possible to gain 6 pounds in 6 days?

This past Saturday, Sept 10th, was my birthday. My 2nd bday without my DW being able to be at my side.  Family and friends’ step-up to the plate to keep my occupied. My brother took me to a Yankee game on Friday, Sept 9th where they had a special ceremony honoring Derek Jeter’s induction to the Hall of Fame.

Saturday, my actual birthday, my step daughter and a few of her friends took me to a Street fair / Block party in Sleepy Hollow, NY for live music, dancing and plenty of street-meat type food followed by a late night dinner on the banks of the Hudson River.  

On Sunday, my step daughter & I went into the city for dinner and to Broadway to see “Come From Away”. I think it was discussed here earlier in the year. It’s a beautiful, touching story about the aftermath pf 9/11 with all the emotions: Sadness, humor, hope, and happiness amid the tragic day. I had seen it before a few years ago with DW (quite possible the last play we went to) and it’s ending it’s run on Oct 2nd.  Seemed like a perfect way to spend the day & end my bday weekend.

Now back to the grind.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 25

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

As @Arzeena said, we all learned from your experience. Glad it was sorted out, one less thing to worry about.

I'm always using the official sites, after researching the options on the Booking site.

Hilton offers "senior" rates, which are not available on the third party sites, sometimes with a noticeable difference in rates.

I'm the same way. I'll hit up Trip Advisor and a few other 3rd party booking sites for research, look at photo's and read users reviews but almost always book direct with the hotel.  The price is almost always the same. Once in a while, the 3rd party sites might offer a great price but even then, it's usually one of the least desirable rooms. I'm a light sleeper so I'm very picky - away from hotel elevators, non-connecting rooms on one of the higher floors available. I'll pay a few dollars extra to get what I want. 

• Like 8