Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

15 hours ago, Coralc said:

The next door child just came by with his dad. So that is one. 🙁 And no, there doesn't seem to be anyone out on the block either. Maybe it not a thing anymore. 

"Parade" magazine from the newspaper just announced that they will be going online only as of November 13. I'm kind of sad all these things are going away in our lifetime. 🙁

One thing I'm glad is not a thing anymore is the night before Halloween.  Where I grew up, it was called "Gate Night" (stupid name, I know) but other areas would know it as "Mischief Night" or 'Hell Night". Basically, kids would roam the streets smashing pumpkins, throwing toilet paper in trees or spraying foam over cars.  And it's not like I grew up in a bad area, it was basic middle class to slightly upper middle class.

When I moved to my current neighborhood, the parents formed "Watch Patrols" where we would take turns standing in the streets late into the night to discourage such shenanigans. Must've worked because it's been over 20 years since we've had any incidents. Or maybe kids are better behaved nowadays.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5

I still can't log in using Edge.  I am notified that either my user name or password is incorrect.  They aren't.  I used the same info now on Chrome and it worked.  Not sure what's going on.  I also got an email stating my account has been locked due to security reasons.  It claims "someone" tried to log in twice unsuccessfully.  That someone was ME!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

You would think they would have tested things out a little more to avoid these log in issues.

Don’t they know that old people hate change, and get easily annoyed?  

Initially I thought it was just my Samsung phone as it got a major update last night. I had to re-sign into at least a half-dozen different apps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Initially I thought it was just my Samsung phone as it got a major update last night. I had to re-sign into at least a half-dozen different apps.

Seems to be common to the phones, where the pop up box is usually hidden.  I thought maybe upgrading to iOS 16.1 yesterday had something to do with it.  I tried chrome, Firefox, and Safari on the iPhone, and none of them work.  At least it is working on my iPad and computer now.

15 hours ago, Coralc said:

"Parade" magazine from the newspaper just announced that they will be going online only as of November 13. I'm kind of sad all these things are going away in our lifetime. 🙁

I used to subscribe to the local newspaper and 4 or 5 monthly magazine subscriptions.  But as time went on, the newspaper got thinner and thinner. Now, most of the World and US news I get online and the local portion wasn't that exciting - usually a new store opening, house fire or car accident. About the only thing I would read was the comic page (or the "funnies" as my father would call it) and the sports section.

As for the magazines, it just came a victim of not having enough time to read. I'd have a years worth of Consumer Reports, Car&Driver or People magazines, stacked unread & collecting dust.  Nothing like reading outdated information from a year ago.

Now the only periodicals I get are AAA and AARP magazines.  I'm so cutting edge....LOL

• Haha 5

I seem to have more time to read now.  It slowed down considerably when our grandson was with us 24/7 this summer.

I just finished one of the new James Patterson books 22 Seconds, and I am currently about half through the old Brad Thor novel, Use of Force.

Waiting in the wings is the new Lee Child Book, No Plan B, that Susan is currently reading.  Also waiting in the wings is the new CJ Box book, Treasure State.

I am also on the library wait list for new books by Nelson DeMille and Michael Connelly.  Just hope I am done with these by the time those are ready for me.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

I couldn't log in from 17.00pm UK time.

I have just logged in now at 19.00pm.

I am using my Android mobile phone.

Graham.

It seems that I can now log in with my iPhone also.  In fact, I didn’t have to log in at all.  It did it automatically. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, h20skibum said:

It seems that I can now log in with my iPhone also.  In fact, I didn’t have to log in at all.  It did it automatically. 

I got knocked out of iPad too.  I saw Firefox was working so I downloaded the Firefox app and now I can login.   I tight be because everything is fix.  I will go back and see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I got knocked out of iPad too.  I saw Firefox was working so I downloaded the Firefox app and now I can login.   I tight be because everything is fix.  I will go back and see.

Nope.  Still locked out on iPad.  If you have a Samsung,  downloading the Firefox app might work.  It worked for me.

• Like 2

Had a lovely day yesterday.  We had a really nice Ladies lunch for Melbourne Cup and I won a bottle of wine in the raffle.  After work DD & I had a meet and greet with the gorgeous kitty we will take turns minding later this month.  Then went out to dinner with DS & DD.  Had a delicious beef bourguignon pie.  Then the “kids” talked me into ordering a delicious dessert. After a day of good food & good company.  Slept well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

One thing I'm glad is not a thing anymore is the night before Halloween.  Where I grew up, it was called "Gate Night" (stupid name, I know) but other areas would know it as "Mischief Night" or 'Hell Night". Basically, kids would roam the streets smashing pumpkins, throwing toilet paper in trees or spraying foam over cars.  And it's not like I grew up in a bad area, it was basic middle class to slightly upper middle class.

When I moved to my current neighborhood, the parents formed "Watch Patrols" where we would take turns standing in the streets late into the night to discourage such shenanigans. Must've worked because it's been over 20 years since we've had any incidents. Or maybe kids are better behaved nowadays.

The Management of the condo I live in sends out a notice every year a few days before Halloween stating that if any of the things you describe were to occur here the parents would be subject to a $750.00 fine .Only once in the near 20 years I have been living here was a fine levied.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I seem to have more time to read now.  It slowed down considerably when our grandson was with us 24/7 this summer.

I just finished one of the new James Patterson books 22 Seconds, and I am currently about half through the old Brad Thor novel, Use of Force.

Waiting in the wings is the new Lee Child Book, No Plan B, that Susan is currently reading.  Also waiting in the wings is the new CJ Box book, Treasure State.

I am also on the library wait list for new books by Nelson DeMille and Michael Connelly.  Just hope I am done with these by the time those are ready for me.

I am the opposite. After reading so much more during the pandemic lockdowns here and even earlier this year, I have hit a reading slump.  Not for lack of books though.  Every fortnight I do “street library” walk in our local area that covers several kms and several street libraries plus our local library is always well stocked with new releases.  Despite this, I’ve only read two books a month in the past two months and keep returning books to the library unfinished. I am sure I will get my mojo back in the new year.

Enjoy your new reads especially Lee Child and Michael Connelly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I used to subscribe to the local newspaper and 4 or 5 monthly magazine subscriptions.  But as time went on, the newspaper got thinner and thinner. Now, most of the World and US news I get online and the local portion wasn't that exciting - usually a new store opening, house fire or car accident. About the only thing I would read was the comic page (or the "funnies" as my father would call it) and the sports section.

As for the magazines, it just came a victim of not having enough time to read. I'd have a years worth of Consumer Reports, Car&Driver or People magazines, stacked unread & collecting dust.  Nothing like reading outdated information from a year ago.

Now the only periodicals I get are AAA and AARP magazines.  I'm so cutting edge....LOL

When I was in college I had a part time job with Time Inc.They published 6 magazines that the employees got for free every payday.After I left the job I subscribed to many of the publications and many more over the years .Currently I only get AAA and AARP magazines.My wife and I used to get our college alumni magazines but we both graduated the same college .I called and suggested that there is no need for us to get two magazines .They discontinued the magazines totally but we can read them on line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Nope.  Still locked out on iPad.  If you have a Samsung,  downloading the Firefox app might work.  It worked for me.

Confirmed. I can use Firefox to access CC but not Google Chrome.  Which is fine, I like Firefix better anyways. That's all I use on my laptop, not sure why I never did with my phone.

Just one less way that Big Brother can watch me. 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clochette said:

cannot sign in with Chrome and it keeps putting me in 15 minutes time out but was able to log in with Edge so weird.

Funny, we have opposite issues.  I still cannot sign in with Edge but no problem with Chrome.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Oh I remember Gate night in Rockland very well.  The day of gate night we found a full carton of 12 eggs hidden in our bushes, no doubt waiting for nighttime mischief.  Jack threw them out.  I wanted to leave a note inside the empty egg carton but we both feared retribution.  We had our house in New City egged.  What a mess and so difficult to clean.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

I read 22 Seconds but I don't recall what it's about.   I read 2 or 3 books after that one.  I just put Grisham's "Boys of Biloxi" on hold at the library. 6 months wait.  I have a whole list of books on my kindle, so not too concerned.  I'm now reading David Baldacci's newest.

• Like 3

Saw my Podiatrist today.  I now have to revert back to wearing the dreaded 'boot" every time I walk.  My ankle healed beautifully but the rest of my foot is finding difficulty becoming pain free because it's been non weight baring for 7 weeks.  Apparently, I'm not walking as I should, my gait is off which is causing pain. Have to suspend PT for the 2 weeks I have to wear the boot.  I'm going to pick up a "shoe extender" as I call it to put under my sneaker of my good foot so that both feet are equal in height so I can walk without limping.  

My ankle surgery was May 30 and I'm getting disheartened.  My femur bone surgery to repair a fracture was a piece of cake compared to this.

Next on the list; cataract surgery.  This is why I love reading the posts in here and looking at some awesome pictures.  Takes me away................

I hope all CC technical sign on issues are resolved soon.  Enough already!

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Something weird going on with CC. I can sign in with the iPad but not my Samsung.  The log in looks different. Must be upgrades going on..  On the Samsung it will not let me get to the log in page.  It also turned my O icon to NO.  @Ocean Boy and others with Samsung or androids, is this happening to you?

Yes, could not login at lunch time. Everything seems fine now.  I thought I might have had a misstep dancing in the minefields.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Something weird going on with CC. I can sign in with the iPad but not my Samsung.  The log in looks different. Must be upgrades going on..  On the Samsung it will not let me get to the log in page.  It also turned my O icon to NO.  @Ocean Boy and others with Samsung or androids, is this happening to you?

I use Samsung phone for CC and I'm having problems too.

• Like 2