Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

hate to use a four letter word, but we’re supposed to get 1 to 3 inches of s-n-o-w tonight.

Apparently they got some yesterday and today in Toronto that caused the flight from YYZ to MCO to be delayed which has now delayed our flight back home.

I chickened out when I booked our flights and went with the 2:40 flight as opposed to the 11:30 flight.  Wasn't sure with the transfers from Port Canaversl to MCO.  As it turns out we were at MCO at 9am and that was with walking off the ship at 8am.  Tried to get on the earlier flight but it was full...and left on time. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Same here. In fact, it's been flurries all morning but nothing sticking to the ground yet.  I just finished blowing the last leaves yesterday so for the first time in over a month, my lawn looks clean. Glad I get to enjoy looking at it for a few hours before the next mess. 😉

In fact, I also ran my lawn mower dry by "mowing" the lawn (actually just mulching the left over leaves) yesterday afternoon as well. Cloudy sky, temps in high 30's wearing insulated jeans, gloves, heavy jacket. I could see my breath.  Pretty sure I earned the title as the street's "crazy neighbor". 😄

In all seriousness, I did get plenty of offers from my neighbors to take care of my yard while my mind & focus were  elsewhere but I turned them down. I find such "mundane" work to be therapeutic.

Supposedly it will snow in my area approximately 5 AM.Showers we’re predicted for today beginning this morning but so far it is just very cloudy.

Possibly snow here the end of this coming week. First, though I have to mow the grass one more time  tomorrow before taking off the mower deck and putting on the snow plow.

Had a lot of rain last week while we were gone, so I guess the grass grew some more.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, George C said:

We bake them for about 30 mins at 350 degrees , we cook the sauce for 8 hours bake the meatballs and add them to the sauce at about half way, 4 hours.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think most people do it that way. I'm an odd ball in that I cook the meatballs the entire time in the sauce. It makes for a little softer meatball but as it's cooking some little pieces of the meatball will break into the sauce almost making the sauce a meat sauce. Very delicious.

@Ocean Boy spoiler alert.  Close your eyes!

George and Greg; I am ashamed to say I never cooked my meatballs and sauce for 8 hours.  I brown the meatballs first and add them to the sauce that has been simmering for about an hour.  It cooks for an additional 2 hours.  That's it.  They come out juicy and delicious.  I only use San Marzano peeled tomatoes.  Sometimes I have to go to 3 stores before I find a few cans.  I've been known to open a jar or two of Rao's but never to cook meatballs.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

From Santa Suit to Tuxedo. Wedding last night for Linda's niece. Nice to have son Jonathan with us. Not sure I care for the beard but he is entitled to experiment.

IMG_9779.thumb.jpg.f09ed48445766e5b5b727e3b4ccee81d.jpg

Beautiful family picture, Greg.  Jonathan is a handsome young man!

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

@Ocean Boy spoiler alert.  Close your eyes!

George and Greg; I am ashamed to say I never cooked my meatballs and sauce for 8 hours.  I brown the meatballs first and add them to the sauce that has been simmering for about an hour.  It cooks for an additional 2 hours.  That's it.  They come out juicy and delicious.  I only use San Marzano peeled tomatoes.  Sometimes I have to go to 3 stores before I find a few cans.  I've been known to open a jar or two of Rao's but never to cook meatballs.

My sister sometimes makes pasta for one and she uses Rao’s ( her husband is a nice guy but doesn’t like pasta)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I had to run out to the grocery store and, for some reason, picked up some eggnog while there. I have no idea why as I rarely drink the stuff. I put some Kraken in it and now  I might just spend the rest of the afternoon home with a cat on my lap.

20221211_132808.thumb.jpg.ee61ecd43b08f1a7439fa7b19dac721f.jpg

20220925_150246.thumb.jpg.92d142569f7a81a570e29ac1ba23d914.jpg

Your kraken and eggnog sounds and looks delightful!  Jade looks pretty comfy curled up as she is.

• Like 5

I thought I would share a picture of my buns! 😃 

20221210_210558.thumb.jpg.27955fbebe5a46ec099446f6ba60b331.jpg

My 1st attempt at onion buns.  I made them last night.  It took longer than expected so we didn't try them until today.  We made Cheddar cheese burgers and used these buns.  The buns had a strong onion taste when we tried a little last night but good eating them with a hamburger.   No need to add sauteed onions.

I lucked out.  I forgot I put them in the oven.  Sharon walked into the kitchen and asked if I was cooking something.   They cooked a little longer than I should of cooked them but not bad.  I will make them a little smaller next time.

About the only thing I like about the weather turning cold is that I am getting back to baking. 

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think most people do it that way. I'm an odd ball in that I cook the meatballs the entire time in the sauce. It makes for a little softer meatball but as it's cooking some little pieces of the meatball will break into the sauce almost making the sauce a meat sauce. Very delicious.

I used to make them this way as it’s how my Italian grandmother taught me.  Like you, I always left them undisturbed for about a half hour before stirring.  She also told me to use a high fat content ground beef for moist, juicy meatballs.  About 5 years ago, I started baking them beforehand which results in a lot less grease in the sauce that needs to be removed.  Pre-baking means a lot of the grease ends up on the baking sheet instead of in the sauce.  I bake them at 325 and only for about 25-30 minutes so the exterior is still soft, the way we prefer them.  Then they get dropped right into the sauce to continue cooking for several hours.  

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

From Santa Suit to Tuxedo. Wedding last night for Linda's niece. Nice to have son Jonathan with us. Not sure I care for the beard but he is entitled to experiment.

IMG_9779.thumb.jpg.f09ed48445766e5b5b727e3b4ccee81d.jpg

This is a great family photo Greg.  Your son looks a lot like you. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Sea Dog Here is a sample of the 360 camera.   I was surprised how well the volume picked up.  This is zoomed in a lot so the quality could be better. 

This is cut from the same filming just framed a different area.

Precious children.  That still 2nd image before turning on video mode should be framed and prominently displayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Sea Dog Here is a sample of the 360 camera.   I was surprised how well the volume picked up.  This is zoomed in a lot so the quality could be better. 

This is cut from the same filming just framed a different area.

Looks Great! Quality is really good and very good audio. Santa was really good too!

57 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I used to make them this way as it’s how my Italian grandmother taught me.  Like you, I always left them undisturbed for about a half hour before stirring.  She also told me to use a high fat content ground beef for moist, juicy meatballs.  About 5 years ago, I started baking them beforehand which results in a lot less grease in the sauce that needs to be removed.  Pre-baking means a lot of the grease ends up on the baking sheet instead of in the sauce.  I bake them at 325 and only for about 25-30 minutes so the exterior is still soft, the way we prefer them.  Then they get dropped right into the sauce to continue cooking for several hours.  

This is a great family photo Greg.  Your son looks a lot like you. 

Thanks! Jonathan’s baby pictures and mine look almost identical.

I’m surprised that my sauce doesn’t taste that greasy. I’m sure some of that meat fat adds some flavor. It’s not low calorie that’s for sure. I also make my meatballs big about the size of a tennis ball.

• Like 3

I'm playing some catch up now that we are back home.

@dani negreanuyour Grandchildren are adorable.   Enjoy these special times🥰

@h20skibumI have never heard of cold capping but that is wonderful to hear that it is helping and that you are able to help your Daughter in every possible way.   She is in my thoughts and prayers.🙏

@Sea Dogall 3 of you look fantastic.   Our Son Chris is also trying out a beard.  His new Wife isn't sure she likes it yet.  Will be interesting to see how long he keeps it.  Johnathan is a very handsome young man.

@Ocean Boyeggnog and Kraken sounds great.  I wish I had thought of that when I went food shopping this afternoon.   Cold rainy dreary day and that sounds perfect.  

@Ozark_Kidthe 2nd photo is beautiful.  How did you get Santa to visit your home when he is so busy?

Back to reality/work tomorrow.   We are unpacked with laundry and food shopping done.  Plan on eating lots of salads and fish this week.  No deserts 😇

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1