Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

All that worry about their travels, and look how they responded!!  I'm glad it's worked out for your trip!

We haven’t left home yet.  I just brought out the carrier…and while they enjoyed checking it out…I’ve decided it’s too small for a five hour journey.  It’s not big enough for them to stand up in.  So ordered a larger one from Amazon to arrive tomorrow.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My grandkids cannot understand how I lived without TV or a telephone till 1952.

I'm still trying to figure out how I lived the first 35+ years of my life without a cell phone or Internet.  I feel like I'm transported back to the Stone Age when I have neither readily accessible.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm not sure if this site is any better than airbnb but try vrbo.com 

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We have used vrbo for our rentals in Florida the last few years. No problems with them. 

Most of the people I know that have used both prefer VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner).  Not sure why, just seems like they like the selections better.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how I lived the first 35+ years of my life without a cell phone or Internet.  I feel like I'm transported back to the Stone Age when I have neither readily accessible.

I lived nearly 60 years without the internet and even longer without a cell phone.I have three friends who have never owned a computer,a cell phone and do not have answering machines on their home phones.They also do not have automobiles.None ever seem to have a problem .I last drove in 2003 due to medical issues.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I rarely use my cell phone normally just keep it in the car , but wife always has her iPhone, bad thing about both is even on vacation she has to answer questions and logon to computer, but her salary pays for our suites. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I lived nearly 60 years without the internet and even longer without a cell phone.I have three friends who have never owned a computer,a cell phone and do not have answering machines on their home phones.They also do not have automobiles.None ever seem to have a problem .I last drove in 2003 due to medical issues.

I know. I was one of the last people to get a cell phone as I thought I would only use it to order a pizza on the way home from work.  But I sure like the convenience of it now.

I mean, I know I could go back to a life before Internet, answering machines/Voice Mail, basic 7 channels TV, etc as that's how I was raised. Out forefathers also lived without indoor plumbing and electricity but I certainly would not want to go back to those simple days.😉

13 minutes ago, George C said:

I rarely use my cell phone normally just keep it in the car , but wife always has her iPhone, bad thing about both is even on vacation she has to answer questions and logon to computer, but her salary pays for our suites. 

I got rid of my landline phone about 3 years ago so now my cell phone is pretty much my only way to communicate. It's amazing that I still come across a company / organization / doctor's office that still have my old home phone number of file. 

I used to in IT and back in the 1980's - early 1990's, I would be "on-call" for the weekend in case the systems went down.  Back then, being on-call meant carrying a pager around and when it beeped, I has to either call in to the office to fix the problem or drive to the office. 90% of the time, I had to drive in. Whenever my wife complained, I told her the extra pay was going to buy us a nice house and nice vacations. And it did.  Later, it became so much easier to logon from a laptop from pretty much any where. Still an inconvenience when it happened at dinner time but still better than driving after the 3rd glass of wine.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I know. I was one of the last people to get a cell phone as I thought I would only use it to order a pizza on the way home from work.  But I sure like the convenience of it now.

I mean, I know I could go back to a life before Internet, answering machines/Voice Mail, basic 7 channels TV, etc as that's how I was raised. Out forefathers also lived without indoor plumbing and electricity but I certainly would not want to go back to those simple days.😉

I got rid of my landline phone about 3 years ago so now my cell phone is pretty much my only way to communicate. It's amazing that I still come across a company / organization / doctor's office that still have my old home phone number of file. 

I used to in IT and back in the 1980's - early 1990's, I would be "on-call" for the weekend in case the systems went down.  Back then, being on-call meant carrying a pager around and when it beeped, I has to either call in to the office to fix the problem or drive to the office. 90% of the time, I had to drive in. Whenever my wife complained, I told her the extra pay was going to buy us a nice house and nice vacations. And it did.  Later, it became so much easier to logon from a laptop from pretty much any where. Still an inconvenience when it happened at dinner time but still better than driving after the 3rd glass of wine.

We still have a phone on the kitchen wall and a phone on a night table .I have great difficulty in holding a cordless phone or cell phone because of my hand tremors from Parkinson’s.I have been using the speakerphone lately even though I do not like to do so.

My parents never had a car,that was not a problem for them.I had my first car when I was 29.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@grapau27 Graham all the best for your procedure & post procedure healing.

5 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and "all good" news Graham.

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

+ 3 Graham, @grapau27.

Sorry about the terrible weather in UK, and the loss of life 😪

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Graham- wishing you a quick and thorough recovery from today’s surgery.

To all of the posters here- wishing everyone a pleasant day.

MJ🙋🏻

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@grapau27 Thinking about you today. Good luck.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Looking forward to you posting good results from your procedure.

We had snow here overnight.Toby was out early to clean off her car as she had to bring her car in for service.

It is 33 degrees here now but quite sunny.

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Graham, happy your procedure is over!

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I sure hope you are feeling well after your operation today, Graham!

Best of luck to your daughter as she relocates to her new job in California!

Wishing a pleasant day to you as well, MJ!

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

+1. Best of luck @grapau27

Thank you everyone for your good wishes today.

The surgeon put 7 stitches in and I am due to get them out next Monday.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

So...our souvenirs from Canada keep coming.  After sending all of our completed (or so we thought) info, expenses paid, and all of our receipts to our Travel Insurance Company,  a new bill arrived the next day.  We then paid that one, and sent the receipts to the Insurance Co.  Today, another one arrived, this one from the anesthesiologist for the operation.  Dear Lord, I sure hope this is the end.  I mean, I don't think there could possibly be anything more to charge us for...🤔

• Like 10

Daughter decided she wanted a break from her phone on our 7 day cruise so didn’t buy the internet package (I went without it too).

She told me on the evening of the  3rd day of the cruise that she had  just discovered that the tv channel that showed vision of the front of the ship from the open top deck had great background music.  I said I knew where the camera was located and she might see me briefly as I did my morning walking laps.

The next morning, I planned to walk laps of the top deck per usual.  I messaged daughter and said are you watching because I am about to walk past.  Then instead of walking past, I stood directly in front of the camera and did several star jumps.  Seeing her middle aged mum unexpectedly doing star jumps for everyone to see had her in tears of laughter.  Then she sent the video to her brother in Canada…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

We also had Conga for Kids on board.  Buy a t-shirt for $20 with all funds going to a Children’s hospital in Queensland.  
Told DD I was doing this.  She wasnt interested but was happy for me to buy her a t-shirt.

At midday, I sent her a msg and said the Conga line is about to start.  She said Omg you are doing a Conga line?  (She thought it was just buying a t-shirt) She left her pool deck and came down to the main pool deck to not only film me in a conga line but then we all did the Macarena.  Again seeing middle aged mum doing the Macarena in public had her stitches.  Then she uploaded the video to her friends group and they loved it 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Last story from the cruise.  The only port tour I did by myself was the stretch Hummer tour.  It started at 3pm. Towards the end of the tour, I sent a photo to daughter from Palm Cove.  

DD: You are in Palm Cove?

Me: Yep.  It’s beautiful 

DD:  What time will you be back?

All aboard closes soon.

Me: Yes I know but ship will wait for me.

DD: Is anyone else from the ship?

Me:  No.  Just me.

DD: Please don’t be late

Me: Should be fine as long as the Hummer doesn’t break down like it did in the morning tour…

DD: OMG

10mins later….

Me:  Don’t worry.  This is a SHIP excursion.  We are all from the ship.  It won’t leave without us..

DD:  OMG. Thank goodness! I have just been trying to work out what to do if you got left behind and how to get you from Cairns to Port Douglas….

Daughter is always doing jokes so it was fun to get her going for once 😀

Me after 3 champagnes from the open bar.  Photo taken by our driver.D0DAC294-BA83-4E57-9B46-D056B8F9156C.thumb.jpeg.bf43f820298c456015c78221a242bafa.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I totally hated being on call getting calls in the middle of the night and weekends , I was in IT my entire working life from 1960’s till I retired 7 years ago.

• Like 5

On 12/11/2022 at 1:12 PM, grapau27 said:

24.8°F is -4°C.

Cold down here in the South as well. First fall of snow last night.  Gary often takes pics of molly the Collie 'hiding' in the woods and posts 'where's molly' pics on our local village fb page. 

Heres one of the pics 

Can you spot Molly ?

IMG-20221212-WA0007.thumb.jpg.3ccde8ea3eac51c92fdd29657f0f3be1.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

We also had Conga for Kids on board.  Buy a t-shirt for $20 with all funds going to a Children’s hospital in Queensland.  
Told DD I was doing this.  She wasnt interested but was happy for me to buy her a t-shirt.

At midday, I sent her a msg and said the Conga line is about to start.  She said Omg you are doing a Conga line?  (She thought it was just buying a t-shirt) She left her pool deck and came down to the main pool deck to not only film me in a conga line but then we all did the Macarena.  Again seeing middle aged mum doing the Macarena in public had her stitches.  Then she uploaded the video to her friends group and they loved it 😀

And when can we expect a posting of this video?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, George C said:

I totally hated being on call getting calls in the middle of the night and weekends , I was in IT my entire working life from 1960’s till I retired 7 years ago.

Being on call is the story of my life. I can't count how many family activities, dinners, sleeps, etc., were interrupted or missed all together.

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Cold down here in the South as well. First fall of snow last night.  Gary often takes pics of molly the Collie 'hiding' in the woods and posts 'where's molly' pics on our local village fb page. 

Heres one of the pics 

Can you spot Molly ?

IMG-20221212-WA0007.thumb.jpg.3ccde8ea3eac51c92fdd29657f0f3be1.jpg

Cold a snowy here last night also.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

So...our souvenirs from Canada keep coming.  After sending all of our completed (or so we thought) info, expenses paid, and all of our receipts to our Travel Insurance Company,  a new bill arrived the next day.  We then paid that one, and sent the receipts to the Insurance Co.  Today, another one arrived, this one from the anesthesiologist for the operation.  Dear Lord, I sure hope this is the end.  I mean, I don't think there could possibly be anything more to charge us for...🤔

I certain hope that this is the end of them for you. I can guarantee that you will not be getting one from me, if that helps. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks for the update Graham. We have all been thinking about you.

Thank you Andrew.

This is after today's op.

The scar off last December BSC removal can be seen between my ear and my eye.

IMG_20221212_110040.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17