Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

37 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We signed in last week for our January cruise and got 10am, earliest available. The time before we were able to sign in at 11pm central time.  This time we were not able to sign in until midnight central time.  Maybe just a glitch this time.

Getting check-in time does make it more realistic.   Good luck.

According to what has been posted on CC, we should have been able to sign in at 9PM on the west coast. I tried at 11, and couldn't, so I just did it in the morning. ☺️

We had a weird thing happen today. Since this whole thread started with refrigerator cleaning. Bill reported a weird smell in our walk-in kitchen pantry. (Only dry goods and cans, wine). He was afraid something had died in there. I stuck my head in and said, yes, there is a smell. Not a dead thing, but I don't know what it is. I started reading the newspaper and thought I would get to it later. . ☺️

But he was on a roll and started cleaning things out. It turns out there was a can of Sauerkraut, that had eaten through the bottom of the can and liquid dripped down the wall on some other items. (Cans and cooking bag pckgs.) I did not know that Sauerkraut was that corrosive. 🙄

We rarely eat it. But now I know why it is frequently sold in glass jars and will purchase it that way in the future. 😃

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@dani negreanuso sorry to hear about your friends house fire, but happy to hear they are OK.  

Looks like a lovely day with your friends.  

Curious, does everyone have homeowners insurance like we do in the states that will pay cost of repairs and personal belongings?

I am so sorry about your friend's house fire too. Curious about insurance, too. I think they are only available in the US, but these Ting monitors are wonderful, and will identify bad outlets and other electrical dangers in your home before there is a fire. Not a promo, it just gives us more peace of mind at the away house. I am so glad that they were home when it happened. 

https://www.tingfire.com/

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It turns out there was a can of Sauerkraut, that had eaten through the bottom of the can and liquid dripped down the wall on some other items. (Cans and cooking bag pckgs.) I did not know that Sauerkraut was that corrosive. 

I never would have thought it would do that. I love kraut.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I never would have thought it would do that. I love kraut.

I didn't either. 😃 And I go through and refresh the cans every year, so I can donate the unexpired ones to the food bank. I should have asked him what the date was on the bottom, but he just kept making disgusted noises. ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We signed in last week for our January cruise and got 10am, earliest available. The time before we were able to sign in at 11pm central time.  This time we were not able to sign in until midnight central time.  Maybe just a glitch this time.

Was your previous cruise out of Florida (Eastern Time Zone)?  

That might explain being able to get in at 11pm Central for that one, but midnight Central for the Galveston cruise.

Does this happen where you are?  We have 4 major TV stations in the state all broadcasting from central Arkansas. When storms roll through 3 of the 4 spend the whole evening tracking.  Yes there are a couple tornadoes.   We have 75 counties and they have spent the last 35 minutes zooming in and out of 3 counties in deep south Arkansas. They start a show, 15 minutes go by and then 30 minutes of WARNING ⚠️.   Back to the show then a few minutes later WARNING ⚠️ . They could warn you by scrolling it along the bottom or a corner shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Was your previous cruise out of Florida (Eastern Time Zone)?  

That might explain being able to get in at 11pm Central for that one, but midnight Central for the Galveston cruise.

Good job!  Didn't think of that!  Thanks.  Now if we only had someone like you to help us find our way to Maya Chan Beach in January.... 😉 

I bet getting a check-in for the Hawaii cruise will be a challenge.   I need to research that or @bobmacliberty may be able to help.  Departure time is 9pm.  I usually like checking in early to get specialty restaurants booked but for a 9 night cruise it probably isn't a big concern. After cruising Ovation we really only enjoyed Chops.  I am now rambling now.  Still getting warnings ⚠️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

This new deck hand if going to have an issue being subservient to Lewis.

So he's also a captain? Why is he on a crew deck team? How soon before he spends most of his time in the bridge? Will he become bosun?

Tune in next week for all the answers on "As the Ship Rolls."

BTW, I don't trust him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Does this happen where you are?  We have 4 major TV stations in the state all broadcasting from central Arkansas. When storms roll through 3 of the 4 spend the whole evening tracking.  Yes there are a couple tornadoes.   We have 75 counties and they have spent the last 35 minutes zooming in and out of 3 counties in deep south Arkansas. They start a show, 15 minutes go by and then 30 minutes of WARNING ⚠️.   Back to the show then a few minutes later WARNING ⚠️ . They could warn you by scrolling it along the bottom or a corner shot.

No. Ours don't do that. <jk>. ☺️ Maybe there are hurricane warnings too. We do have the SHAKE ALERT app on our phones, which may give us an "up to" 30 second earthquake warning. LOL 🙄 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bailey &amp; Sophie said:

So he's also a captain? Why is he on a crew deck team? How soon before he spends most of his time in the bridge? Will he become bosun?

Tune in next week for all the answers on "As the Ship Rolls."

BTW, I don't trust him.

It would do Lewis well to do the same. He seems really cocky for just joining a team that is already in place. I can see him going right over Lewis's head to the captain with criticism.

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

First available checkin time is 11AM. That is annoying.🤨

OB you will be fine. Don't get annoyed. You get the 11 am now and then check back in a few days if anything earlier has opened up. Good luck!

Honestly, for Fort Lauderdale we never pick anything before 2 pm, We have found that there are no lines anywhere around that time. This is just a personal preference so we do not have to wait in lines.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Yes they do that here too when there are tornado warnings anywhere in the area.  If you go on the local stations FB pages the next day boy do they get crap from people who mussed their favorite shows.  We also get the warnings over our security system if they are close by to us.  Not bad during the day but had one storm where the alarm went off multiple times around 4 in the morning.  

• Like 2

Drives me crazy.  I get the important safety aspect, and I understand that weather is what these people do for a living (and are obviously VERY excited about it), but don't they realize that they are interrupting my TV show???? 😁

Good job!  Didn't think of that!  Thanks.  Now if we only had someone like you to help us find our way to Maya Chan Beach in January.... 😉 

I bet getting a check-in for the Hawaii cruise will be a challenge.   I need to research that or @bobmacliberty may be able to help.  Departure time is 9pm.  I usually like checking in early to get specialty restaurants booked but for a 9 night cruise it probably isn't a big concern. After cruising Ovation we really only enjoyed Chops.  I am now rambling now.  Still getting warnings ⚠️

Our Hawaii cruise departed from Vancouver.  I just checked old email and we had an arrival time of 11:00.  No idea what time I checked in to get that arrival time.  We were in a GS and allowed to arrive an hour early, so I probably was not too worried about getting the first time possible.  I looked back over my review and we left our Pan Pacific Hotel room (port is in/below the hotel) at 10:30. I'm fairly certain that no one bothered to verify what arrival time we actually had as there were already a lot of people there.  I think that's the case in many ports now...just show up and they won't turn you away.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It's a common issue with TV stations. They have a responsibility to alert people but sometimes they go overboard. I think some of it is a fear that if something horrific happened and people died others would say they were not alerted. Plus you have the fact that all the stations are competing with each other so no station wants to go back to regular programming first. All the stations want to be the last and also they want to appear that they are going wall to wall with coverage. Drives me nuts. I can't tell you how many live shots I had to do where there was nothing going on but the producers felt the coverage needed to be continued.

• Like 6

Reading about everyone doing their check in for their cruises, trying to get those early times.  

Last Friday, we went out to dinner and helped our technology challenged friends check in to their January cruise.  We were all supposed to be sailing together, but that is one of the cruises we had to cancel. 

So, of course, the earliest boarding time they could get was 1:00.  Not only that, but since they hadn’t booked any shows, all the comedy club times were already gone, and many of the other shows just had crappy times available.  Looks like they will be in a few standby lines. 

• Like 4

Snowflake, the Elf, was trying her hand at golf today.  

451E056E-8027-4965-815D-9F14D8D68996.thumb.jpeg.8cee5be4832e2662bbe0cae73d6a4b52.jpeg

She wasn’t pleased with her shot, so she was beating her candy cane club on the ground. 

88992537-5B49-427D-8052-A8A81A4E1D99.thumb.jpeg.97ddc03510f1d75a30664430972d63d8.jpeg

I didn’t know that you could not touch the elves with your hand, or they would lose their magic. Evidently you have to use kitchen tongs to pick them up.  

I guess I learn something new each day. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

22 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Fires are scary and the important thing is that your friend and her husband are ok.  Will they be able to remain home during renovations?  Seems like a shopping spree is in the works.

Toda, Bonnie. I have no idea. She called the hostess with "don't wait for me... the 2nd floor is on fire...", but later, she texted her that neighbors told her there is a company which deals with all the smells and soot, and they'll not need to deal with those issues by themselves. Other than that, she's also quite technologically challenged, and the communication with her is iffy now...

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@dani negreanuso sorry to hear about your friends house fire, but happy to hear they are OK.  

Looks like a lovely day with your friends.  

Curious, does everyone have homeowners insurance like we do in the states that will pay cost of repairs and personal belongings?

No. If you can afford, you insure your house. 2 types of insurance -- the building itself, let's say for earthquake, complete destruction and re-build; and personal belongings. For example, my cousin who lives in Germany, but owns an apartment in Tel Aviv, which she rents, she's paying insurance for the building, water and fire damage, and the young couple who rents pays for insurance personal belongings.

BUT, the state pays for total destruction, damage and financial loss (for private business) in the event of hostilities, war, etc.

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

I am so sorry about your friend's house fire too. Curious about insurance, too. I think they are only available in the US, but these Ting monitors are wonderful, and will identify bad outlets and other electrical dangers in your home before there is a fire. Not a promo, it just gives us more peace of mind at the away house. I am so glad that they were home when it happened. 

https://www.tingfire.com/

Thanks, Pat. I'll show hubby [when he is not busy following the Mondial...] those. We always disconnect electrical appliances when leaving the house for more than a few hours, but, after yesterday, I'm quite afraid.

I like my clothes as they are. I've invested a lot of "thinking" [and money] in them... not in the mood for a shopping spree, thank you very much....

• Like 11