Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

We don't want to make them "enjoy" coming to the ER, because the ER is already over-used by people who SHOULD be going to their primary care provider. 

A month ago, Andrew fell and bent his wrist backwards while playing soccer. The swelling was an odd shape, and the pain level was high. We attempted to go to urgent care for a quick x-ray, but they were already closed (at 8:00 p.m., seriously??). So off to the ER we went - because the last time we blew off an injury and did the "wait and see", he actually had a bad fracture. So yeah. We were "those people". No break this time, so I guess they all probably thought we were stupid for going in, but we didn't want to make that mistake again.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

A month ago, Andrew fell and bent his wrist backwards while playing soccer. The swelling was an odd shape, and the pain level was high. We attempted to go to urgent care for a quick x-ray, but they were already closed (at 8:00 p.m., seriously??). So off to the ER we went - because the last time we blew off an injury and did the "wait and see", he actually had a bad fracture. So yeah. We were "those people". No break this time, so I guess they all probably thought we were stupid for going in, but we didn't want to make that mistake again.

I'm pleased to hear Andrew had no breaks Bethany.

The swelling was a sign of a potential fracture and with his pain you were totally right to go to ER.

Graham.

• Like 4

Been missing on here for a couple days. Several concerning things happening with our family right now, so I am looking for something positive to post. 

Oh yeah, one positive thing is the IRS sent our refund.  

Hope everyone is well.  We have rain all day, today. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Been missing on here for a couple days. Several concerning things happening with our family right now, so I am looking for something positive to post. 

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Mark. Whatever is worrying and concerning you, you will overcome. Have faith.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I wonder why 😀

You were a teenager ,I presume .

I have no idea how old I was when I first saw Exodus.  If I saw it now, I would have the same reaction to those Paul Newman eyes.

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

Three days of ER training done.  

Not sure which is kicking my butt worse, the actual workload, or the fact that I'm working day shift while I'm in orientation!!!  Everyone I've worked with so far has been very nice and welcoming. 

The work itself is very different from what I'm used to, and I keep catching myself going into "inpatient mode" of constantly checking in on my patients. Inpatient nursing was very focused on "customer service" and making the "customer" happy so they'd give good reviews on the post-hospital stay survey (basically like the post-cruise survey Royal sends out). 

The government in its infinite wisdom has decided to tie "patient satisfaction" to how much the government reimburses for Medicare services.  The problem is that people are in the hospital because they are sick, and the treatment(s) for fixing a patient's problem might not always make the patient happy. 

Putting a heart patient on a "cardiac diet" (low fat, low sodium) will make the patient mad... but giving a heart patient a bacon cheeseburger and fries isn't a good choice for the patient' health.  A patient receiving multiple IV antibiotic infusions around the clock will get mad at being woken up... but not giving the antibiotics on a certain schedule can mean that the infection won't be cleared up.  And I think we all know that just throwing narcotic pain meds at someone isn't a good idea... we have an addiction crisis going on in this country because of over-prescribing opiates! 

So my old inpatient job, we had to focus on making the patient happy.  Room service meals made to order.  Multi-channel cable television.  Extra pillows, warm blankets, soda refills, snacks on demand, etc. But this new job is very "bare bones" -- we "treat 'em and street 'em" here, no hand-holding.  We don't want to make them "enjoy" coming to the ER, because the ER is already over-used by people who SHOULD be going to their primary care provider. 

To give you an idea, I've done three 12-hour day shifts, on weekdays when a doctor's office would have been open, and at least 85% of the patients have not needed "emergency" care.  Nosebleeds, bonk on the head with little to no bruising or laceration and no loss of consciousness, sinus congestion, incision check from a surgery in another city the week before, earache, dental pain, back pain, nausea/vomiting.... all things that could be handled in a doctor office or urgent care center.  So we don't want to cater to these people, making them WANT to come to the Emergency Department for things that could easily be handled at their PCP office or an urgent care center.  

Debi, glad your training has gone well.  

Sometimes, a doctor during hours, will tell a patient to go to the ER instead of coming into the office.

I once had an insurance deny my claim when it was 2am and I had chest pains and went to the ER.  The reason for the denial was that I should have waited to see my doctor.  I don't think so.

My daughter once had trouble breathing so we took her to an urgent care facility after hours.  Claim was denied because we didn't go to an ER instead.

I can't imagine going to an ER with the aches and pains you mentioned.  

In all my various inpatient hospital stays, I don't recall a post-stay survey.  I never had negative issues.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

☹️

12 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Mark. Whatever is worrying and concerning you, you will overcome. Have faith.

Very well said, hugs to you and your family

• Like 7

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Sending you our prayers 🙏 and good wishes Mark that your family concerns will soon ease and go away.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

+2

+3 @Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

53 minutes ago, akcruz said:

☹️

Very well said, hugs to you and your family

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sending you our prayers 🙏 and good wishes Mark that your family concerns will soon ease and go away.

Take care.

Graham.

+4 (((()))) warm hugs from Marrakech @h20skibum Mark and family 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I have no idea how old I was when I first saw Exodus.  If I saw it now, I would have the same reaction to those Paul Newman eyes.

Debi, glad your training has gone well.  

I

I

Exodus opened in movie theaters in 1960.

2 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

You did the right thing.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I hope whatever is happening has a good resolution.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen played soccer for 10 years of and was know for his big boot, and that transitioned to football as a kicker for the last two. His longest upright kick was 43 yards during a practice and 35 in a game. As for the drop kick he just picked it up by practicing.  

Owen almost had a third try but was a few yards short, and he broke out ant the centre field.  Another player made it on the next play though. His teammates said he broke some ankles out there today with his runs. He thoroughly enjoyed the day. 

You are right though, it is hooligans playing a gentleman’s game. 

Great stuff, I hope he continues to enjoy the experience.

A lack of a professional league has kept Rugby as a fringe sport but that is starting to change.  North America has a long way to go in developing a profession game but Major League Rugby seems to have found it's footing and a professional league this side of both oceans will only improve the quality of play locally. With the Rugby World Cup being held in the USA 2031 I expect that that will continue to grow exponentially. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I hope things work out...

• Like 5

My oldest granddaughter will be finishing her first year of college next week.She is in an Honors program.Due to the fact that her grades have been excellent she is being given the opportunity to spend her Junior year of college at a university in either the UK or Australia.

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Dani, this one is for you. Guess what we did today. 

IMG_9172.thumb.jpeg.15bcea3b11a0dd27c88d3e1fb30b59ac.jpeg

We are cleaning the fridge the easy way throwing out old fridge and they are about ready to hook up the new fridge along with stove , sink and dishwasher etc , they said it would be done last week, bit should definitely be done next week , sucks not having a kitchen for over a month. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

His teammates said he broke some ankles out there today with his runs. He thoroughly enjoyed the day. 

You are right though, it is hooligans playing a gentleman’s game. 

Good for Owen!  He's a true athlete, who surely loves every sport he plays in!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Mark, I sure hope that your family has a complete turn-around, all with the best outcomes for everyone.🙏🙏 Prayers for you all.

On your positive note, I hope your IRS refund was a plentiful one!!!😍

• Like 7