Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I hope everyone is having a great Father's Day.

We had the kids at the beach house this weekend.   Lots of quality time, was really nice.   Perfect beach weather as well as biking weather.

We enjoyed a couple dozen blue claw crabs Maryland style this afternoon.

They all just left to go home.   Eric and I have the house to ourselves until Saturday.  WooHoo!!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, George C said:

Our Kroger has 25 percent off 6 bottles of wine or more i typically buy a case or more every time which is once a month , but hey currently have Quilt Napa blend for 22 with discount I am planning on buying every bottle I can find since total wine has it for 12 more a bottle. We found meatballs break up too much in sauce if we don’t bake them first. 
  Just spent last few hours listening to music in our favorite restaurant one jazz duo played for a couple of hours followed by a solo piano player who we have been following for about 15 years, he has played in Dallas for more than 60 years.

25% off is a good deal.  It's usually 10% off 6 bottles.

I brown my meatballs stove top in a frying pan then add them to the hot sauce already cooking.  I need to try baking them.  Less mess.

Nice you have a place to enjoy music you like.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Sorry to hear how much of a mess the last part of your journey was.    I think airlines work much tighter schedules when it comes to staff rosters and then when they exceed hours it becomes their undoing. 

I bought air tags and have as yet have had no reason to use them.  My iphone 8 gives fairly basic location so no good for keys around the house etc.   I am curious to know if your air tags have actually helped you track your luggage.    

100% Yes! -  I was able to tell the agent at the desk and show him on the “find my” app a map of where 2 bags were compared to where the 3rd bag was in a different part of terminal 1.  He personally went to both locations searching and found 2.  He said the 3rd bag location was very odd and not a normal baggage storage area.  Must be in weird spot or even looked like it fell off a cart on the tarmac based on the map location.

Update on the 3rd lost bag… I called AC today and they were zero help claiming that their world tracer system was down and to call back.  Well my racer was working perfectly lol  😂   This morning, I could already see that the lost bag moved to a different location in terminal 1 at YYZ that was exactly where the other 2 bags were found yesterday.

I can now see that the lost bag is at PIT international on the app.  No communication at all from AC to this point,  but i KNOW that the bag is at PIT.  We live less than 10 miles from PIT so we’ll probably just go there tomorrow and get it if they don’t have a courier deliver it between now and then.  

I have an iphone 14 pro for reference.

• Like 9

We also had one other interesting thing happen at the game. Part way through the third, when the score was fairly evident that the Knights would win, the father and son beside me had a staff member stop by and hand them a sheet of paper with a few wrist bands different than the ones we were wearing.  Lisa said to the man, well that’s interesting.  He leaned over and said quietly to Lisa and I that he wasn’t going to say anything, but then told us that he was a part owner of the team. We knew that he wasn’t the majority owner but our jaws still dropped.  

By that time he knew we had flown in for the just the game and we’re going home the next morning.  This is the same guy we were high-fiving after every goal. He went to share with us that he started the game in the owner’s box and then moved down to sit with the fans.  The new wrist band gave him access after the game to go onto the ice for photos and the celebrations after. After the game was over and just before he was about to leave we both congratulated him.  I gave home a side hug and said to him that I knew how I felt, I could only imagine how he all the people in the organization felt as well. 

Here are the father and son. From a bit of on-line research over the years the family had distribution rights to Coors, The Palms Hotel, an NBA sports team, and the sister was/is on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Not everything was successful but all that doesn’t matter on this night. Tonight was their night. 

IMG_9851.thumb.jpeg.55cfa0e5b7ba945631ad1f4f1eab00e8.jpeg

In this photo he is being passed the cup. 

IMG_9827.thumb.jpeg.acc8e80f536360e170f1b4b3fab070d9.jpeg

We stayed for about an hour after the game ended. We watched the hand shakes, the players skate around with the cup and after all of that the families of the players come onto the ice.  The reporters were out too.

IMG_9836.thumb.jpeg.796b6f97758551c787cbe50354e2e328.jpeg

At some point it went from being a sporting event to a family reunion with the players, coaches, trainers etc.. welcoming their parents, wives and kids onto the ice. When you think about all the time they are apart during the year, and all the practices the parents drove their kids to it makes it that much more special. 

Just a few photo examples of those moments below. Makes me appreciate all the time we spend doing things with Owen. 

IMG_9832.thumb.jpeg.2531eaa2bdef82306a447f3b18d31578.jpeg

IMG_9834.thumb.jpeg.64f85f4b83ba0282187b720b90579c62.jpeg

IMG_9837.thumb.jpeg.2e33dcac63842bb1d738796d9056c24c.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 23

And with that the 4 of us were ready to leave the arena.

The thousands that had been out front had long left and there were just the stragglers leaving the arena. Robyn walked back to our hotel and Lisa and I walked her to the tram that goes back and forth to the Bellagio where she was staying. She didn’t know it existed but said it worked great. The price is right too, it’s free.  She texted saying she made it back safe and sound. We grabbed some pizza, headed up to our room and finished packing.  Our alarm was set for 6:30 the next morning.  

The trip was an experience of a lifetime. 

IMG_9839.thumb.jpeg.13fc96065f8f2bf3c3c50636403a9b50.jpeg

IMG_9842.thumb.jpeg.587ea4887cf3eb8fafc0b17e7172f124.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 23

I’m late with my wishes but I hope everyone had a nice Father’s Day, especially all the Dads on this thread, in all the forms they take.  

@Jimbo  your house reno turned out great! 

@A&L_Ont what an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing it with us.  

It’s been a hectic weekend here to say the least.  But I think (hope? pray?) a few more days and we’ll settle into a routine.  There’s just SO MUCH STUFF, everywhere!  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

25% off is a good deal.  It's usually 10% off 6 bottles.

I brown my meatballs stove top in a frying pan then add them to the hot sauce already cooking.  I need to try baking them.  Less mess.

Nice you have a place to enjoy music you like.

Kroger has the 25 percent off every three or four weeks I never buy there unless there is the sale we drink lots of wine and keep approx a hundred bottles at home or more , we bought a new wine cooler with new kitchen that hold about 50 bottles  which we use for red wine, our old wine cooler holds half that and we keep white there . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

Andrew, I am still in shock that I was there! It was an unbelievable experience. It was so amazing to meet you, Lisa and Owen - a more warm and welcoming family would be hard to find!!  I am looking forward to taking you all to dinner next time you’re in the city… you promised!!!

Robyn, I’m glad that you were able to join us. Even though we had never met it felt like we had know you for years.  That’s what it is like to have an extended CC family member.  No different than the Bella Family and the Dani Family right here.

I’ve always been a proponent of things happen for a reason, and this is a prime example. We will take you up on that dinner, and you can share your friend’s and family’s reaction to what your evening was like.  I certainly know it will be an evening we will never forget. 

Thanks to all that put up with my posts today.  Like I said, there was a lot to “unpack” from the trip but now my luggage is put away. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Fantastic... What a night!

Luongo was a class act.  He almost got Vancouver to the promise land back in 2011.  

I still remember so clearly the sound of LLLOOOOUUUU echoing across the arena.

I like the Letterkenny reference too.  

LOOUUU during the Olympics too if I remember correctly. 

Saw this at our hotel when getting post game Pizza. You will get the reference. 

IMG_9846.thumb.jpeg.aae29210d301dc7d719d5f73417ece1d.jpeg

IMG_9847.thumb.jpeg.8e6bef6863a6d8c3c32a40abab3d8228.jpeg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Alfie doing great, to think she was going to be put down because of her limp.  She's hardly limping at all anymore!  Wish I could've caught the tail wagging in this pic.

IMG_1377.jpg

I would love to see the Cutie but unable to open the photo😔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Most of it is by feel but approx 4 lbs of ground beef , 6 eggs , most of a canister of progreso Italian bread crumbs, couple of onions fried , 8 once’s of shredded Italian cheese Romano or similar, salt , pepper for meat balls . For sauce I actually start with tomato juice 4 large cans , small jar on garlic fried , 6 onions fried , lots of oregano, basil , got this recipe from my dad . Also add hot Italian sausage cooked on grill to sauce . 

Sounds yummy and easy to do.

I don't make meatballs but do a 3-meat sauce instead with Hamburger, Italian sausage and Pepperoni. Homemade sauce (or gravy) smells so heavenly!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

And with that the 4 of us were ready to leave the arena.

The thousands that had been out front had long left and there were just the stragglers leaving the arena. Robyn walked back to our hotel and Lisa and I walked her to the tram that goes back and forth to the Bellagio where she was staying. She didn’t know it existed but said it worked great. The price is right too, it’s free.  She texted saying she made it back safe and sound. We grabbed some pizza, headed up to our room and finished packing.  Our alarm was set for 6:30 the next morning.  

The trip was an experience of a lifetime. 

IMG_9839.thumb.jpeg.13fc96065f8f2bf3c3c50636403a9b50.jpeg

IMG_9842.thumb.jpeg.587ea4887cf3eb8fafc0b17e7172f124.jpeg

I am reliving every minute! Thanks again for a once in a lifetime experience! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

At some point it went from being a sporting event to a family reunion with the players, coaches, trainers etc.. welcoming their parents, wives and kids onto the ice. When you think about all the time they are apart during the year, and all the practices the parents drove their kids to it makes it that much more special. 

Our local minor league team (Kalamazoo Wings) won their cup in the 05-06 season.  They won it at an away game (we had flown there to experience it, too, but we left our son at home -- he was in kindergarten at the time), and because there were so few fans there, we were all allowed onto the ice with the players after the Cup was presented.  

Being active season ticket holders for a minor league team, we were on a first-name basis with most of the players and the coach.  As we were about to walk onto the ice, the team owners, Ted and Martha Parfet -- an elderly, very wealthy, and amazingly down-to-earth couple -- were standing at the gate, greeting people as they passed.  Ted was shaking peoples' hands, but Martha gave me a big ol' hug and thanked us for making the trip.  

After winning the championship, the Parfets sold the team.  Things just weren't the same after that... with the Parfets, the team was a labor of love, but for the new owner, it's all about using his money and political power to make changes to the city. 🙄  Fortunately, my kid was playing hockey himself already, so we put our time and money into developing new hockey relationships.  

I'm so happy that you guys had this amazing opportunity!!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

LOOUUU during the Olympics too if I remember correctly. 

Saw this at our hotel when getting post game Pizza. You will get the reference. 

IMG_9846.thumb.jpeg.aae29210d301dc7d719d5f73417ece1d.jpeg

IMG_9847.thumb.jpeg.8e6bef6863a6d8c3c32a40abab3d8228.jpeg

Oh that is a classic.  I have to get one...

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Is it that kids have more allergies these days or do we hear about them more because of the internet, etc?

Great times. Maybe we’ll see you in February. 😉

Well I'm not medically trained,  but there is some talk that giving antibiotics to very young children COULD make some of them more likely to have allergies 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/health/antibiotics-allergies-children-study/index.html

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

unable to open the photo😔

My fault.  2md attempt below.  The good news regarding this adoptee is she hardly limps at all anymore.  We've got a vacation to Norway coming up, its going to be hard to leave her!

image.thumb.png.dcfd114583350e4278d47e6b9f561347.png

• Like 22

Just a few observations from our Father’s Day outing yesterday.  We ate at Shakespeare’s Castle, the same place we celebrated Mother’s Day.  It wasn’t nearly as busy as Mother’s Day, and they didn’t have as wide a variety.  I guess mothers do get treated better. 

The afternoon car show was interesting.  They estimated there were probably about 900 cars on display.  Mostly classics and muscle cars (no exotics), and a few oddities thrown in.  

My CA grandson’s favorites were ones I would put in the oddities category. There were a few cars that looked almost like junkyard wrecks, but these seemed to be getting a lot of attention.  

IMG_7610.thumb.jpeg.8fea108183118436824e75cceca36f84.jpeg

His second favorite was this camouflage wrapped corvette.  

IMG_7611.thumb.jpeg.9586f7516cb79ae8f099c8cfbc9a29eb.jpeg

Now, Susan liked this old Kaiser with the sliding doors. 

IMG_7609.thumb.jpeg.21499a013a6a4cec42dd23de69185de3.jpeg

And her second favorite was this old BMW Isetta. It was probably because it was about the right size for our grandson. 

IMG_7608.thumb.jpeg.b280b77fabfdbbb3b304925c1ba0a527.jpeg

As for me, I am partial to well done, classic street rods. 

IMG_7607.thumb.jpeg.d2ea889f41a1fc6e29c84c37095234dd.jpeg

• Like 22