Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Very cool place,great decor. The place has only been open for about a year and half. It used to be a bank

The owner also owns the winery we went to last weekend.

He only makes a light and medium brandy,something to do with the 2 different kinds of barrels the brandy is distilled in.

We preferred  the light nice and smooth.

We bought a bottle of the light,it was $49.00, also bought a t-shirt.

We like to support the local businesses. 

We spent about an hour and half there. Others also came in while we we were there. It was a fun time.

Here is a few pictures, really a cool place.

20230701_122402.jpg

20230701_122416.jpg

20230701_122804.jpg

20230701_122859.jpg

20230701_122903.jpg

20230701_123034.jpg

20230701_123027.jpg

Picture is not upside down, it's the bottom of barrels on the ceiling.

20230701_123011.jpg

20230701_123049.jpg

20230701_123058.jpg

The old bank vault is still there, 18 inches of concrete still all around it

20230701_123111.jpg

20230701_123426.jpg

20230701_123416.jpg

20230701_123115.jpg

20230701_123607.jpg

20230701_123506.jpg

20230701_154117.jpg

Looks like a great place. Love the name and the owner looks like a fun character. I’m glad you enjoyed the brandy. If you like brandy you should treat yourself to some cognac. I recommend getting one that is at least a VSOP or older. XO’s are my favorite but can get expensive.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We board Allure in 2 weeks. Last night, I decided to try on my formalwear. The last few cruises have been cooler weather, so I wore my heavier/more winter-appropriate outfits. This next one is going to be hot, so I tried on my lighter formal things. But I've lost a good amount of weight over the last 1.5 years, and they are all too big now! 

I still have time to order something if I do it fast, but I'm not finding anything I like. Where do you ladies shop for cruise formalwear? I usually go for separates, and tops is what I need. 

I had the opposite problem before our cruise.  We don't really go formal anymore.  My husband wears slacks and a button down.  I wear a nice but not formal dress.  I found a couple of dresses at Belk.  They have dressy separates too.  I need to go back and find something for the wedding but I am waiting to see if I can drop a couple pounds.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We board Allure in 2 weeks. Last night, I decided to try on my formalwear. The last few cruises have been cooler weather, so I wore my heavier/more winter-appropriate outfits. This next one is going to be hot, so I tried on my lighter formal things. But I've lost a good amount of weight over the last 1.5 years, and they are all too big now! 

I still have time to order something if I do it fast, but I'm not finding anything I like. Where do you ladies shop for cruise formalwear? I usually go for separates, and tops is what I need. 

Macy's is my go to for most clothing.

• Like 9

@TravelGirlinDallas Good for you that the formal wear is too roomy now!

On to shopping…..

Have you tried Macy’s or Nordstrom?

I like the designer Adrianna Pappell.

I have bought a gown and a cocktail dress with her label at Macy’s.

I did see some pretty maxi dresses online at Talbots. Wearing a maxi dress with pretty sandals and jewelry is good look on a warm weather cruise.

Enjoy shopping!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks like a great place. Love the name and the owner looks like a fun character. I’m glad you enjoyed the brandy. If you like brandy you should treat yourself to some cognac. I recommend getting one that is at least a VSOP or older. XO’s are my favorite but can get expensive.

Sounds like something I should try, what do you recommend  , sweet and fruity, not to bitter?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like something I should try, what do you recommend  , sweet and fruity, not to bitter?

I would get the Remy Martin 1738 Accord. It’s got great taste, smooth and fruity and is not too expensive $50-$60 range. Aged at least 12 years. More info here.

https://www.remymartin.com/en-us/collection/1738-accord-royal/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GameDayCelebration&utm_term=USA+CS+cpc&utm_content=remy martin drinks&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnf-kBhCnARIsAFlg490KwTA4Dtt3uOqT8FyoAAt_ynTUG75pdmfdqjPZLLWu-KNDAXy45-kaAimxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course if money is no object I’d get Remy Martin XO about $260 or Louie XIII for about $3,000. I’ve had the Louie on board the ship for $150 a glass. It was amazing.

Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Gus the cat attracted to our Saturday night wine

image.thumb.png.54d5528ad65ad650b0403e1d0ad7c152.png

Love that there are fellow star gazers here.

Below is our neighbor galaxy, Andromeda, as you might also see it through a good telescope or very good binoculars.

image.gif.d1ee6fb5fbb3905dee03f59b66c748f7.gif

The cat has nice taste. Great star shot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

My Dad , who grew up in Greenpoint Bklyn, was a Dodger fan.

When the Mets came in the scene, he became a fan.

I would often go to games with him at Shea which was a subway ride away.

Later, my hubby and I would go to the games, driving in on the LIE to Shea and then Citi Field. 
I still know the words to the Mets song-but I won’t sing it for you here!🙄

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I remember how exciting the NY Subway Series was between Mets and Yankees.

2 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We gave up formal cruise wear a few cruises ago.  I now wear nice slacks with a glitzy top.  As others mentioned I do most of my shopping in Macy's and have bought some nice pieces at Belk. I haven't bought much cruisewear lately because unfortunately, my clothes still fit.  🫢

Congrats on your weight loss and have a wonderful cruise with calm seas.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I remember how exciting the NY Subway Series was between Mets and Yankees.

LOL. 😀The A's and Giants had a Bay Bridge Series in 1989, as well. No one really cared until a large earthquake interrupted the first game. 😊

And now the A's are off to Las Vegas, too. To join the Raiders. And except for very dedicated fans, again, no one really cares. It is an annoying situation, because here the owner wanted a new stadium, hotels, retail, residential and public money, which no one was willing to give him. 

In Las Vegas he is satisfied with just a new stadium and public money. Good for him. 🙄

• Like 5

Our city of Laurel has a fireworks show on the Saturday closest to the 4th. We were able to watch some of the higher ones from our bedroom window. Even with the rain they were still able to get them off. It was a little crowded with 3 of us watching but worth it. 

• Like 7

Good afternoon, we have been blessed with beautiful weekend weather in June and it has continued into July.  A lovely Sunday to take Max out for a few hours.

A8D8F609-93F5-4F63-BAEF-2E61E26434B0.thumb.jpeg.0bf603db4c80dfe8a190c58e5e77e30d.jpeg

6D8EBDF4-371A-4D33-B675-856841745761.thumb.jpeg.77d2871177acd230957977d766ce46ef.jpeg

91BBEA36-EA0E-4192-9EE2-9BD0C3E542E2.thumb.jpeg.86195bd3e9e76dfe6d2e03f299bc85da.jpeg

22FF9649-777B-4135-A824-12072AAF0903.thumb.jpeg.d6d6d041e75488646ea9bb5880658ec0.jpeg

1484E1BF-91AA-422E-A634-19E9A40B7C99.thumb.jpeg.04c9c1b9df9c49f710852e88dd1b0e4b.jpeg

Last night we were at dinner, followed by the theatre. BIL and I managed to polish off one of these tiramisus each, hence the need for a walk today.

ADF8EB69-20CC-4D05-A090-9E3F3FC27C78.thumb.jpeg.61e14672d7e03c680bfc1a7e44abf6af.jpeg

879434B4-F151-4A12-BE1B-538B1566A525.thumb.jpeg.47cf7ee47e7bfb11304447ed3e97c5f2.jpeg

4CAD7D15-8046-49EA-AC71-CB0D1D456DE7.thumb.jpeg.6e201f01ec38bba489daaa87061171bb.jpeg

• Like 26

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Same here.  Actually both my maternal grandparents.  And it wasn’t that they took me to Disney or even planned any child specific activities…they just clearly loved me.  And were extremely interesting and funny people.  

When my maternal grandmother died I said sadly to DH “No one will ever love me like that again.”  He replied “Honey, I love you.”  I said “Not like that.”

Grandma-love is just a unique thing!  

My grandma used to sit on her living room floor and play Hi-Ho Cherry-O (board game) with me when I was little.  It's a mind-numbingly boring game for an adult, but preschool-aged me loved it, and it's always one of the first memories that pops in my head when I think of her. 

She would also take me to the lake cottage in the summertime and spend time there during the week, just me and her.  We didn't do anything all that special there (we only had the powerboat when my parents were there, too), but it was just the two of us, spending time together, doing yard work, visiting the neighbors, etc.  

• Like 13

11 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

No problem, I have been called worse 😳

My badge at work has my given name, "Deborah", and I tell people they can call me Deborah, Debbi, Deb, Big Red, Brillohead, or even just Nurse if they forget my name, because I've DEFINITELY been called much worse things than any of those in my life! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Where we parked our car at the beach is an unofficial parking area for where car owners advertise their second hand cars for sale.  This one was parked behind ours.E5395770-D222-4CA1-83D2-6CC157F93534.thumb.jpeg.6e3ea2377a06c3b432d950f48e1e3348.jpeg

2ED07DEF-8718-4F59-AB5C-59FE79339588.jpeg.5818d5162d2059a1dc1d891a4707950f.jpeg

“Ideal camper/motor home”.  

Imagine doing a round trip around Australia in this.

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, h20skibum said:

So here is a question for our friends on this thread.  Do any of you still have family reunions, or is this a dying trend?

And by this, I don’t mean small gatherings with immediate family, but rather very large gatherings with extended family with all the misfits included.  

My birthfather's family always used to do one, but C-19 put a stop to those the past few years.  With the new discovery of me, and also the fact that his aunt (the last of my grandmother's surviving siblings and the one who usually planned the family reunions) is getting up there in age, he decided that it's time to resume the tradition.  

This is going to be a "small" family reunion, with "just our part of the family" -- meaning they're not inviting the third litter of kids (from my grandfather's third wife... the one that my Uncle Jack refers to as "that ugly cross-eyed witch").  But they are including everyone on my grandmother's side of the family, including her two kids from her second marriage.  

It sounds like many of the cousins in Michigan are planning on going (my local aunt's kids), and my cousins from Texas (that I first thought were siblings), and my cousins in Florida (my Uncle Jack's kids/grands/great-grands).  

My son and his GF are going to go down with me, and we're staying at my father's house.  I'll finally get to meet my "little sister".  She works for the city parks department, and has rented out a park on the Tennessee River for the event. Everyone's bringing side dishes/desserts, and my father is buying BBQ and making his famous baked beans.

This is planned for the middle of September, when it hopefully won't be quite so horribly hot in Alabama.  

• Like 10

11 hours ago, h20skibum said:

So here is a question for our friends on this thread.  Do any of you still have family reunions, or is this a dying trend?

My mom and I went to a family reunion, maybe 40 years ago, for her side of the family. Beautiful home and acreage. I didn't know who anyone was. There were probably 50 people there. Catered. They had a Schipperke, which I thought was a cool dog. And some distant cousin named Paris, was doing genealogy research and for $10, he would send me what he had learned. Scam. I never heard from him. 

My mom's family had arrived in North America, 20 years after the Mayflower. She was always fascinated by this mythical book that detailed her family's history. The Family Book. (Hint. Aquarium in Chicago) In the age of the internet, I was able to track down a (not inexpensive) print on demand copy of it. I also have a free copy on my e-reader. So, I gave it to her as a Christmas present. 

Great grandparents, grandparents, some aunts and uncles, parents and her much older (21 years) sister...but not my mom were mentioned. She kind of gave it a cursory look but lost interest after that. And I never had much to begin with. And I am the last of my line. So probably no more reunions. Interesting question though, it made me think. 😊

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Is there a clothes alteration service near you Bethany?

Pauline has always used a local lady and she does an amazing job.

Well done slimming down and it sounds like some of the regulars have given you good advice.

When we have been to Florida Pauline has always bought lots of clothes in the department stores and also Ross Dress for less.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5