Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I still carry a pager....

LOL

I would have thought they could integrate that into your text messaging system somehow.  I didn't even realize there were services still available. Is that an in-house thing through a medical facility?  

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

LOL

I would have thought they could integrate that into your text messaging system somehow.  I didn't even realize there were services still available. Is that an in-house thing through a medical facility?  

The hospital I'm on staff at. I prefer it as when I'm not on call I can just turn the pager off. My phone is always on and if I got called when I was off call I would be too OCD to ignore it.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Speaking of roofs, probably going to have the house done in the near future. Have been trying to research metal roofs. I get a lot of advertisements for them. Don't know if it is the way to go or not over asphalt. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

Our daughter’s  has a metal roof. They did it as part of building the house to weather hurricanes and nor’easters. 
Metal roofs last longer and have fewer problems, from everything I’ve read. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Yesterday was the day to print boarding passes for next month’s cruise on Symphony.  Stopped at the bank to pick up some tip money.  

IMG_9346.thumb.jpeg.0d450a35b40e067a6b85291a3e0826c1.jpeg

We picked up our bartender tip money today for Mexico. Much more economical than a RC cruise. 😉😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

I was reading a fiction book a year or so ago , character was a professor he noted everyone in his class had a iPhone he made a mental note to buy apple stock, I bout at 120 it is 189 now too bad I just bought a hundred shares.

I hated to be on call they use to give us beepers in the 80’s and 90’s and a phone that weighed about 5 pounds . 

my first cell phone.

IMG_3832.thumb.jpeg.80b3a20ef03de9a96c1d0ea965621676.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Speaking of roofs, probably going to have the house done in the near future. Have been trying to research metal roofs. I get a lot of advertisements for them. Don't know if it is the way to go or not over asphalt. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

We will be getting a new roofs on our house, attached apartment, garage, and 3 Season room, since the 3 Season room is leaking🤨  We'll be having it done in May after we get back from Florida.  We did have a metal roof put on over our entrance door last Summer.  We love it.  I asked our new roofer about having the new roofs done with metal, and he said it would be prohibitively expensive to do our home with it. 😔

We just had our new heat and AC done last month, prior to not knowing we'd be needing new roofing.

I could sure use some of that cash that Mark @h20skibum displayed a few posts ago😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We will be getting a new roofs on our house, attached apartment, garage, and 3 Season room, since the 3 Season room is leaking🤨  We'll be having it done in May after we get back from Florida.  We did have a metal roof put on over our entrance door last Summer.  We love it.  I asked our new roofer about having the new roofs done with metal, and he said it would be prohibitively expensive to do our home with it. 😔

We just had our new heat and AC done last month, prior to not knowing we'd be needing new roofing.

I could sure use some of that cash that Mark @h20skibum displayed a few posts ago😁

Mega (245 Million) and Power Ball (280 Million)   should cover it, pun intended!

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks for the input. A Spanish tile type roof would look nice on the house. It is cost prohibitive to do tile which is why I didn't do it when we built it but now they can simulate it with metal.

I had given some thought to the noise issue but it is a "hip" style roof so it's surface is pretty far above the second story ceiling so I don't "think" it would be too big a issue.

I never considered the repair issue. I would definitely have to look into that. Trees could be an problem. I once had a tree damage the roof of my office building and the asphalt roof was pretty easy and inexpensive to fix.

9 minutes ago, mafig said:

We had a damaged roof due to Hurricane Ion.  Our insurance company paid for the replacement of our tile roof with a metal root which we selected to look like barrel tile.  The metal roofs come in flat, barrel tile and the ones that look like sheets of aluminum (which I've also seen in colors).

We don't notice any additional noise due to rain.

The cost to the insurance company was $100,000.  However, those of our neighbors who got new roofs got metal ..... various styles.  Most got it paid for by their insurance companies.  

The warranty on the metal roof varies from 50 to 100 years.

They really look nice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I remember the debates.  I was vociferous  team windows.  I went back with Microsoft to pre windows days.  I think I remember DOS 3.x. 

In 2016 I had a friend convince me to try an iPhone when I upgraded and I've been team apple ever since.  It didn't take long until my tablet became an iPad and my computer became an MacBook Pro.  I don't even consider the alternative anymore.  

It is sort of like the Ford vs Chevy debate that guys who own trucks have. 🙂

That's the thing about Apples. They just work, out of the box, seamlessly & the same across all devices.  And I'm a Windows/Android guy. In the  the office, it was all DOS 3.1/Windows computers for everyone unless you worked in one of the "artsy" department - designers or marketing - then you got an Apple computer.  But you really had to justify the extra expense.

And even though I don't own a truck, it's always Ford. Up until recently, owned many a Ford products with mostly good success.  My dad was a Ford man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks for the input. A Spanish tile type roof would look nice on the house. It is cost prohibitive to do tile which is why I didn't do it when we built it but now they can simulate it with metal.

I had given some thought to the noise issue but it is a "hip" style roof so it's surface is pretty far above the second story ceiling so I don't "think" it would be too big a issue.

I never considered the repair issue. I would definitely have to look into that. Trees could be an problem. I once had a tree damage the roof of my office building and the asphalt roof was pretty easy and inexpensive to fix.

I didn't think the metal roof was very noisy, but I love the sound of rain and it was always nice to get rain in Texas since it didn't rain that often.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Vibe said:

I was just talking to my CIO about this. IBM mainframe memories about receiving a beep and being notified about a job abend. (SB37, S522 etc) There was no such thing as VPN, you had to go on-site to debug (allocate more space, find out why a program timed out, modify JCL, restore, and rerun programs etc)

Those amends codes are very familiar, I knew some JCL but then took a JCL course at NYU that made me more of an expert , best thing I ever did for my career. 
   As I have said this has been a terrible week , spending a couple thousand for a root canal, over a thousand for car repair then by far by worse out beautiful cat Joebob passing. We just returned from our normal martini lunch at our favorite restaurant and my wife’s boss informed her she is getting a very large bonus for a project she was working with . Now I will up our royal up bids for next week . Love that she is recognized for her hard work and we all know that isn’t the norm. 

• Like 15

4 hours ago, George C said:

I hated to be on call they use to give us beepers in the 80’s and 90’s and a phone that weighed about 5 pounds . 

When I started my I.T. career in the 80's, we took turns having the beeper, on-call one week at a time.  No remote connectivity during off hours so you'd have to drive into the office to fix the problem.  That's always fun at 2 am on a winters night. At the time, it was a 25-30 minute drive for me.  One weekend was really bad & I had to go into the office on 4 or 5 different occasions. Next time it was my turn, my boss took pity on me & booked a hotel across the street from the office, all food and drinks paid & I could have my future DW stay with me too, with all her food and drinks paid.

3 hours ago, Vibe said:

I was just talking to my CIO about this. IBM mainframe memories about receiving a beep and being notified about a job abend. (SB37, S522 etc) There was no such thing as VPN, you had to go on-site to debug (allocate more space, find out why a program timed out, modify JCL, restore, and rerun programs etc)

My first career job was COBOL programmer on IBM mainframes. Hate those SC07 (bad data) and having to read hexadecimal dumps (aka Egyptian Hieroglyphics ) to figure what and where it came from .....at the aforementioned 2 am winter night. And the dozens of 500 page IBM manuals were useless.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

And even though I don't own a truck, it's always Ford. Up until recently, owned many a Ford products with mostly good success.  My dad was a Ford man.

My Dad was a Ford man also....and always used Esso gas too!

• Like 4