Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

19 hours ago, Vibe said:

This brings back memories. I remember in College using a key punch machine to write my COBOL programs for the compiler.

I started my first job printing on IBM 1403 printers then running multi part paper through a decolator and forms through a burster. Then a Xerox 9700 . I worked as a Computer Operator on IBM 4341 4381 and 3090. MVS/XA JES2

I am retiring soon, At my current employer for almost 35 years, so much has changed. I’m currently supporting the Data Center Infrastructure and the Support Center. When we hire new techs, I give them a history of our legacy systems that we used, 

My first job at age 17 as a secretary was at ICL (International computers ltd). The computer room the operators worked in was massive,  with floor to ceiling computers whirring away. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It's been so long, I forgot the purpose of the picture. 

New TV? New rug? New cat tower?😁

😜  The original point was Minnie was entranced at the really LARGE snowy owls on our new huge TV.  She’s never been interested in watching TV before…but I guess there is a difference after all, between a 65 and an 85 inch screen…and not just to men…

• Like 10

2 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

@George C  I’m very sorry for your loss. I know how you feel we had to make same decision this week also due to cancer for our 12 yr old dog. She was our baby and it’s been a rough week. It’s so hard to let them go. 

Sorry for your loss, our pets are so much part of the family 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We had them installed earlier this year. We've got an app that tells us how much power is going from the solar panels to the battery and how much is used by the house from the battery or from the grid. And yes, Gary nags me to use the washer/dryer and dishwasher washer during the day when the solar panels are working.

Ooh ok.  Have to see if there will be an app for us.  DD was notorious for putting a load of washing on at 10.30pm…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Ooh ok.  Have to see if there will be an app for us.  DD was notorious for putting a load of washing on at 10.30pm…

It's night time now so you can see there's nothing coming from the panels, but we're using from the grid. 

The little circles run along the lines in the direction of where the power is coming from.

If its a sunny day we should go into the evening with enough stored in the battery to last all night, so the electricity used from the grid is not much.

We've just bought an air fryer today. They're all the rage,  apparently cooks very quickly and with hardly any power. 

Screenshot_20231118_222133_SunsynkConnect.thumb.jpg.ce3a69425485005224d7451b174a3206.jpg

39 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

😜  The original point was Minnie was entranced at the really LARGE snowy owls on our new huge TV.  She’s never been interested in watching TV before…but I guess there is a difference after all, between a 65 and an 85 inch screen…and not just to men…

Excellent picture quality on your new TV.    Enjoy😀

On 11/17/2023 at 8:53 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Speaking of roofs, probably going to have the house done in the near future. Have been trying to research metal roofs. I get a lot of advertisements for them. Don't know if it is the way to go or not over asphalt. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

We had a metal roof installed about 5 years ago.  Love it.

It was an easy decision for us as we would have needed to strip the entire roof, plywood and all (50 year old 2x2 sheeting that had sagged) and that was a $12k job at the time.  With the metal roof there was no need to strip the plywood and the cost of the metal roof was only $18k.  Unless it's a torrential rain we don't hear it and basically of it's raining hard enough to hear it on the metal roof you would hear it on asphalt.  We also redid our eavestrough and downspout at the same time and went with steel as opposed to the aluminum, big difference, you'd break your fist before denting it, unlike aluminum.

Given you probably get just as much snow as we do, if not more, make sure that they install snow guards all the way around.  Without them when it decides to let go it comes down with a vengeance and will destroy anything in it's path.  We went the first winter and only had them installed where people would be walking, after the first winter we have to roofers back and installed them all round.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I thought it was to show how much kitty enjoys David Attenborough docos from the special chair ❤️

It was a documentary on Scandinavia called Wild North.  I always think nature shows are the best things to watch to appreciate a big screen; unfortunately DH thinks it’s football…😴

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@brillohead I agree wholeheartedly that gift giving can get out of hand.  We only give gifts to our daughters, SIL’s, the grandkids and my MIL who is the only one of our parents still with us.  The girls & SIL’s always get a little cash because who can’t use that, but I like to have “something under the tree” for them to open as well. That’s where I drive myself crazy because it can’t be a sweater or shirt, etc.  One year it was cocktail smokers for the SIL’s, another year it was leather sunglass straps engraved with their initials.  The girls usually get a couple of books or cookbooks or a unique piece of jewelry.  For the grandkids, we follow the rule of “something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read”.  The kids don’t buy us gifts per we - they give us framed photos of the grandkids which is perfect.  So we’re really not overdoing it with gifting, it’s more that I put pressure on myself by wanting their gift to be different/something they’d probably not buy for themselves.  Maybe I should consider that they would just like a new sweater 🤣🤪!!

I love Christmas but it can get out of hand.  We have a budget and ask for lists.  While it takes some of the surprise out for the adult kids, they get what they want or need.  I too can’t handle buying just to give a gift as I see that as a waste of money.  We only get together every other Christmas which is this year.  In the off year they gets checks.  This year I will also do stockings and for the most part those are fun, small items not on the list.  Since we’re cruising together this year they’ll get a gift bag of goodies for that too. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

@George C  I’m very sorry for your loss. I know how you feel we had to make same decision this week also due to cancer for our 12 yr old dog. She was our baby and it’s been a rough week. It’s so hard to let them go. 

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is so very hard.  😢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Excellent picture quality on your new TV.    Enjoy😀

We have to be careful with our 85" Tv, never and I mean never put any bird shows on with the birds chirping, because our cats will attack the Tv Screen.

Try it and see what I mean? 😲

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have to be careful with our 85" Tv, never and I mean never put any bird shows on with the birds chirping, because our cats will attack the Tv Screen.

Try it and see what I mean? 😲

Most definitely the same in our house.    Sometime this year we put on a cat channel and Petey was going crazy trying to figure out how to jump from the recliner to the tv screen.    He kept leaping and missing as he had nothing to grab onto.    I quickly changed that channel as I was afraid he was either going to scratch up the screen or pull it down.

Eva and Sparky will every so often look up and watch TV but Petey is our main watcher.   He also sits and stares in mirrors on a regular basis.    He loves to sit on my bureau stare in the mirror as he knocks stuff off - oh so fun😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Nice truck... Did you have the mirrors painted or did it come that way from the factory.  

Yes sports package black no chrome red trim on mirrors race red. Couldn’t pick a color last year so figured race red was the answer. LEER cap with Thule bars. Not sure I will ever put anything up there. Trying to make it look like I am no an old man. Probably a fail.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I was a growing up we lost a dog. My father was adamant that was the last pet coming into the house.... as if he had any say in the matter.😉

Well I can’t say it will be any different in this house.   It’s hard to let them go though and I say d I never wanted to go through this again but man they give so much joy.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear about your dog.  May she RIP🙏

Thank youthe main thing is she is not in pain and we are not wondering if she is.

She was so full of life right up to the end but the tumour was on her jaw and it was too much pressure on her eye and vet thought she may have seizures and like migraine headaches. That’s all we needed to hear. No way could I have her having seizure or migraines. Gut wrenching for us but a blessing to her. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

Well I can’t say it will be any different in this house.   It’s hard to let them go though and I say d I never wanted to go through this again but man they give so much joy.  

They give so much joy and there are so many animals in need of good and loving homes. You have the ability to give another being a great life. What we go through when we lose them is a small price to pay.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes sports package black no chrome red trim on mirrors race red. Couldn’t pick a color last year so figured race red was the answer. LEER cap with Thule bars. Not sure I will ever put anything up there. Trying to make it look like I am no an old man. Probably a fail.  🤪

I like the cap but can't get one myself.  I need the access to the 5th wheel hitch and don't want to have to be taking to cap on and off.  Years ago I got an 2003 F350 in burnt orange.  I had the body shop paint the mirrors to match the truck and have always like that look. You had me outside looking at my truck today thinking about getting it done. 🙂 

It wouldn't be a big change for most people since the truck is already charcoal grey but I still think it'll look cooler. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They give so much joy and there are so many animals in need of good and loving homes. You have the ability to give another being a great life. What we go through when we lose them is a small price to pay.

That’s what I think. It breaks my heart when I see a dog or cat on their own on the Islands. Lexi was a rescue from Cozumel and she had a tough go until she got here. Our friends always joked that she came from streets of Mexico right to the palace. We treated her like a princess!  We have not been on a vacation TOGETHER where flying was involved because we would never leave her with anyone else. One of us stayed home. We have flights booked to Florida for Dec so pretty excited about that. However, not sure what we will do if I cave before then as I found another princess from Mexico needing a home. 

Edited by #55worktoplay
  • Like 8