Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When shopping for a condo it is important to ask for their Financials to make sure they are in good standing.  Plus check to make sure they have proper reserves set aside for general building maintenance such as roofing, painting, etc.

We did both times of course. That's why we knew first one was advertised at a lower HOA and HOA president herself assured us they had plenty if something came up, ... except they didnt have 100k plus extra when the elevator failed inspection. The sidewalk is sloped and water is still going down into the elevator shaft and now needs a architect to redesign the sidewalk now too. Hence the assessment first year I bought. 

This one we have the financials and also saw the tower I'm buying the board said $741 a month HOA just hasnt voted yes on it. My realtor dug and read that is how we found out about the unapproved HOA increase. I said after the first one let's make sure and found out again the advertised HOA will be increased by the time I close. Though at least they had the current HOA on the listing correct, unlike the first one, who was off by $25. But close. It's hard to predict something like water had been going into the elevator and ruined the motor etc and it all had to be replaced immediately. 

Twin towers over there I had looked at going real cheap right now. I passed, luckily but I heard all the balconys are being removed and rebuilt. My realtor says 19 units for sale in there. And another ocean front is also being hit just as hard by new inspections. The one I looked at in twin towers had original electric panel, only used in florida, which wouldn't pass to get insurance. My agent saw it and recognized immediately as he has worked in that area a lomg time. I wasnt up to changing a electric panel, dont know what's behind it. I saw a unit for sale oceanfront there now at $169k. Asked my realtor and he said that condo all the balconys are being removed and replaced. Scary stuff going on there. Where I bought is smaller, and only 3 stories. Fewer units to pay when something goes wrong. The new condo is much taller and newer. Though a bit further and not on the beach, only waterfront. But yea scary stuff going on there along the beach. My realtor has seen assessments of 40k to 55k in the last year.

We dug both times for all we could get hold of from HOA. It's the stuff the HOA doesnt know that's scary. Inspections are now tougher to pass. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well it looks like I have a new 2nd condo near PC. I have a buyer here with 2 small kids she wants to start the new school year in the school here. My condo I own is rented until sept 1st. Plus i think it's not as big as i now want. When i used to live in boca Raton before i moved back to texas i had more visitors than usual lmao. And i just wanted BIG. 

Under contract to buy new condo. Over 2k sf. Huge for a one level condo, no stairs. Huge balcony off 3 rooms. I dont own any balcony furniture but I'm hoping for a close by furniture store. All I've seen is walmart lol. Gotta be something there. Moving in blind, people ask havent you even checked for doctors there and stuff. Just assuming they got doctors and stores I need there besides publix and walmart. 

Closing there in a couple of weeks, but not moving until may 20th. I have mariner 7 day first cruise out of Galveston booked and paid for, then driving home and assuming a mover can pack me up and move me in. May 6 to may 13. Hiring packing and moving out, not doing it myself. Though I will start sorting and throwing out. 

Clearly I need some balcony furniture lol. 7.75 miles from the port my cousin says google maps. Hes Mr. IT. Still within close uber reach. Pool tennis/pickleball courts, library. Maybe I need to learn pickle ball. Close walking trails and lake to walk around. Need to get in shape is my plan this year. Oh and its Penthouse top level. Not sure I can see fish from that high, maybe birds? 

20240205_163430060.jpeg

Looks gorgeous! Good Luck!

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It's both glass windows and screened and all the windows have electric hurricane shutters. My oceanfront is older and has those sticks you need to put in a hole and turn to close hurricane shutters the windows, though the balcony has electric hurricane shutters. This bldg is 30 years newer. 

Dates set, just have to make it happen now. I saved a post from someone who moved who recommended a mover. My 14 day inspection ends tonight at midnight, so no backing out. Hired a inspector and needs a new water heater, we asked sellers to pay for it. They called asking size. So they might agree, but not backing out over a water heater. Had to get someone to go over and get a estimate, then write up addendum. So my request for seller to pay came in kinda late. Sounds like maybe? We close march 4, so very soon. I nailed it down before signing to sell my house here. Paid new HOA to join. But we are down to minor details. It's a go. 

I've kept this post saved all this time about moving lol. 

20240213_172822799.jpeg

Glad to have mentioned the moving company we used. Have a safe and smooth move and I hope this moving company works out for you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Things have been sad at her house, because this Friday is the father daughter dance, and both of them have the flu and are slowly getting over it.

The bright side is that your GD and her dad are sharing the flu together and there will be other dances. 

Sorry, I just often think of the situation with @DaniDanielle and her family.😑

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Icy path + ankle =. an early morning trip to hospital (once someone could be flagged down to help)at 6.30am and a teary call to parents in Australia in the early hours of the morning.  The winter season has ended prematurely for one of my “kids”.   Op in a few days time.

Greg, all the best for your op. Trust it all goes smoothly and you have a good recovery.

Best wishes to your "kid". I hope they are not in too much pain and recover fast. Are they having the op where they are currently or coming home for it?

I think this would be when one would say "I want my Mommy!" 🙂. I still want my mommy when I am having a rough time, but she can't descend from heaven! And saying "I want my mommy" makes me feel good. 😁.

Good Luck and wishing them a very quick recovery.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

We did both times of course. That's why we knew first one was advertised at a lower HOA and HOA president herself assured us they had plenty if something came up, ... except they didnt have 100k plus extra when the elevator failed inspection. The sidewalk is sloped and water is still going down into the elevator shaft and now needs a architect to redesign the sidewalk now too. Hence the assessment first year I bought. 

This one we have the financials and also saw the tower I'm buying the board said $741 a month HOA just hasnt voted yes on it. My realtor dug and read that is how we found out about the unapproved HOA increase. I said after the first one let's make sure and found out again the advertised HOA will be increased by the time I close. Though at least they had the current HOA on the listing correct, unlike the first one, who was off by $25. But close. It's hard to predict something like water had been going into the elevator and ruined the motor etc and it all had to be replaced immediately. 

Twin towers over there I had looked at going real cheap right now. I passed, luckily but I heard all the balconys are being removed and rebuilt. My realtor says 19 units for sale in there. And another ocean front is also being hit just as hard by new inspections. The one I looked at in twin towers had original electric panel, only used in florida, which wouldn't pass to get insurance. My agent saw it and recognized immediately as he has worked in that area a lomg time. I wasnt up to changing a electric panel, dont know what's behind it. I saw a unit for sale oceanfront there now at $169k. Asked my realtor and he said that condo all the balconys are being removed and replaced. Scary stuff going on there. Where I bought is smaller, and only 3 stories. Fewer units to pay when something goes wrong. The new condo is much taller and newer. Though a bit further and not on the beach, only waterfront. But yea scary stuff going on there along the beach. My realtor has seen assessments of 40k to 55k in the last year.

We dug both times for all we could get hold of from HOA. It's the stuff the HOA doesnt know that's scary. Inspections are now tougher to pass. 

This all makes me very leary of condos and HOAs. I guess it is nice to have people to share costs with and to be able to leave worry free for a period of time. However, I'm not sure about what type of quality is behind the nice looking plaster or sheet rock walls.

One thing I do know is that when the ocean is in your back, or front, yard you had better not skimp on quality because that beautiful view, that so many would love to have, can turn into a nightmare real quickly.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

How are taxes on any common areas handled? Are the paid by the HOA?

I should have mentioned that.  Correct, common areas are deeded to the HOA so they pay the property taxes. The HOA adds a portion to each owners monthly dues.

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Sorry to hear that about your child, aussie!  Will they be operated while in Canada?

My youngest grandson broke his wrist last weekend while snowboarding.  Luckily it was a clean break.  He did great snowboarding for the first time all morning, before falling on his wrist just before heading to lunch.

Sorry to hear about your Grandson Maryann.

Get-Well-Soon-GIF-13.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Icy path + ankle =. an early morning trip to hospital (once someone could be flagged down to help)at 6.30am and a teary call to parents in Australia in the early hours of the morning.  The winter season has ended prematurely for one of my “kids”.   Op in a few days time.

Greg, all the best for your op. Trust it all goes smoothly and you have a good recovery.

Sorry to hear.

Best wishes.

get-well-soon-gif-download-52650-180353.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vibe said:

I should have mentioned that.  Correct, common areas are deeded to the HOA so they pay the property taxes. The HOA adds a portion to each owners monthly dues.

In Florida , by law, an HOA is wholly comprised of the owners of the units.

Early condos had the developer retaining   ownership of common areas, and charging a fee for the use of those facilities (like pools, clubhouse etc), The state put a stop to that practice and the control of those facilities passed to the unit owners.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

DD wasn’t on the slopes.  She was simply walking out of her building and on the way to her work bus when she slipped on the icy path that hadn’t been salted.

I was wondering which of your kids it was. I was "hoping" (not really, wrong word but I can't think of another) that it was DS as this was his 2nd year in Canada while this was DD first year, if I remember things correctly?  Disappointing that she didn't get to experience the full winter like her brother. Fingers-crossed that she recovers quickly & can enjoy spring time travels.

Oh, and she has to come up with a better story as to how she broke it.  Maybe racing to catch a small child as they fell off a chair lift or something like that. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It's a nice sentiment but I don't think the math works in your favor.  How many pro athlete are we talking about? A few hundred, maybe a couple of thousands across the NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL, plus a few tennis players and golfers?

Compared to the many millions of teachers, police, firefighters, nurses, doctors? That's a lot of money.  Heck, I'm pretty sure they guy that spent the last 18 hours plowing my roads while I slept comfortably probably  should get Micheal Jordan money too, otherwise we'd all be home bound for the next week or two.

FYI, I live in a community that has a volunteer fire department.  That's take some dedication to risk your life for free. That's the kind of person I want serving my community.

We do not disagree.I have a cousin who worked for the NYPD .After he retired at a rather young age he worked for a LI Volunteer Fire Dept  for 20 plus years.The Firefighters who work in Volunteer Fire Departments choose to do so .Not everyone who takes a job looks at salary first.However,pro athletes do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When shopping for a condo it is important to ask for their Financials to make sure they are in good standing.  Plus check to make sure they have proper reserves set aside for general building maintenance such as roofing, painting, etc.

We did that prior to moving into our condo home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Larger unit = higher Hoa dues.

Condo owners still pay individual property taxes to townships but much less than a standalone home.  

The Hoa also pays property taxes for the land and building.

In our condo complex there are 1BR,2BR and 3BR homes.We have the largest 2BR home .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've lived in houses my entire life but have been thinking a lot of downsizing to a condo.  My issue is that while I'm sure I come across as a tremendously  delightful social butterfly here on CC (sarcasm), I actually value my peace and quiet above all. So pretty sure I don't want to share a wall with anyone, much less 2 walls. Or see people when sitting on my balcony, all bleary-eyed sipping coffee while in my PJ's.

Hows' that for a pretty picture?

We downsized in 2003 to our Condo .We could have bought a house in the complex facing a lake but we opted to buy a unit at the extreme end far away from the lake ,pools,health club and club houses.It is so quiet here that you can literally hear a pin drop.We have wonderful neighbors ,many of them are avid cruisers and at least two post on CC boards.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've lived in houses my entire life but have been thinking a lot of downsizing to a condo.  My issue is that while I'm sure I come across as a tremendously  delightful social butterfly here on CC (sarcasm), I actually value my peace and quiet above all. So pretty sure I don't want to share a wall with anyone, much less 2 walls. Or see people when sitting on my balcony, all bleary-eyed sipping coffee while in my PJ's.

Hows' that for a pretty picture?

I actually thought of moving from my house to a condo after Dan passed mainly to be somewhere where I would be able to meet people.  Most condos here have social events and a pool.  But I  much nixed that idea pretty quickly.  Not sure my neighbors would appreciate my barking dog on the other side of their walls either😇

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Looks like notifications have been "fixed". 😐

I take it you are joking.   For the last hour I have been getting multiple notifications for the Live Icon thread for post made a week ago.   I just got a couple more.  😆 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I actually thought of moving from my house to a condo after Dan passed mainly to be somewhere where I would be able to meet people.  Most condos here have social events and a pool. 

That was my thinking as well.

11 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Not sure my neighbors would appreciate my barking dog on the other side of their walls either😇

Also my thinking as well. I'm a light sleeper & a late riser, i.e. not a morning person.🙂 But if the dog is barking at midnight, I'm okay with it. 😉

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I take it you are joking.   For the last hour I have been getting multiple notifications for the Live Icon thread for post made a week ago.   I just got a couple more.  😆 

Mostly joking but wondering if maybe they need to send out the the unsent notifications first before the system "resets" to be current. That's just my retired IT brain coming back to life

Hopeful thinking, i know.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Looks like notifications have been "fixed". 😐

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I now have 863 to wade through when I get time.  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, George C said:

Our menu for Valentine’s Day dinner , I will definitely get the surf and turf along with a very good bottle of Cabernet , we go to this restaurant normally twice a week.

2024-T13-Valentines-menu-8_5-x-14-JRv3-1

What did they mean "choice of"......I would insist on ordering everything on that menu for $125 and I would take plastic boxes and ziplock baggies for what doesn't fit in the belly. 🤣

It is indeed a wonderful menu! Enjoy your fantastic dinner and happy Valentine's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4