Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

That sounds really good- we’ll be just off a cruise. If only this could be something they do at least occasionally!

And announce it when the itineraries are initially released instead of a change a year into the booking cycle when most people who can do this length of sailing have already made plans

• Like 4

I have a question for all of our telecommunications experts.  I subscribe to a number of youtube accounts, and get notification when a new video is released, and it appears on my Iphone. This is happening on my phone while I am cruising, no a sea day. My phone is only logged into the local network, no  internet.  I do have Bluetooth turned  on, and is paired with my laptop, in my stateroom and does have internet access.  My question, how is my phone receiving this notification. I am not close to the laptop when it happens. 

7 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

And announce it when the itineraries are initially released instead of a change a year into the booking cycle when most people who can do this length of sailing have already made plans

I would bet the world cruise experience has opened up some possibilities for future cruises involving Africa. The timing was not there for this one.

I understand Anthem is sailing empty for its part of the relocation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I have a question for all of our telecommunications experts.  I subscribe to a number of youtube accounts, and get notification when a new video is released, and it appears on my Iphone. This is happening on my phone while I am cruising, no a sea day. My phone is only logged into the local network, no  internet.  I do have Bluetooth turned  on, and is paired with my laptop, in my stateroom and does have internet access.  My question, how is my phone receiving this notification. I am not close to the laptop when it happens. 

A lot of notifications from various sources get pushed through.  Things that use less than xxx amount of data slip through.  If I recall from a previous post notifications are sent using a different format and can get through on the ships wifi. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2024 at 10:18 PM, dbancroft said:

My wife and I celebrated our 42nd anniversary on Oct 2nd. Just had dinner at home with grandkids. We watched Dr Odyssey it was nice seeing Shania Twain.

Happy belated anniversary.Wishing you many more years of health and happiness.

• Thanks 1

I started thinking of calling uber by 9 am and held out until 10 am so was here 11 to 1130. My flight was changed to 1:45. Delayed 2:11, 2:17, 2:22... no seats left so I'm at the next gate waiting but can see my terminal from here. 

I couldn't use  y credit toward early bird, so I counted to 10 and lushed the button to get a boarding line up. A50. 50th person to board so pretty good except we have a ultra full flight I think. The 11:15 flight to hobby cancelled and ours is delayed. 

All the wheelchairs for my flights are lined up already, since they can sit in their wheelchairs. Wish I'd beought a empty travel cup with lid. I have a extra large coke I'm sitting here with, dont know if i can carry it on or not. ..Houston bound. 

• Like 3

Thankful I don’t cruise for a month.

Last night while rushing down the sidewalk to get to the DGS football game and watch the band, I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and ended up in the ER all night.  I had a water bottle in my right hand that I couldn’t let go of quick enough and face planted the right side of my face. Unfortunately I bit entirely through my lip. My left hand took some of the fall and is super sore, hands have abrasions on both sides of them (how did that happen) and skinned my knees. I look like I got in a bar fight. The best news is they can’t see any facial fractures on Ct scan or X-rays and no broken teeth. Also there was a plastic surgeon in the hospital so I got the best repair possible. I won’t be able to chew for a week or so. Maybe I can lose a couple of pounds! 

I’ll heal and this is small compared to the suffering in North Carolina, just painful. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Last night while rushing down the sidewalk to get to the DGS football game and watch the band, I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and ended up in the ER all night.  I had a water bottle in my right hand that I couldn’t let go of quick enough and face planted the right side of my face. Unfortunately I bit entirely through my lip. My left hand took some of the fall and is super sore, hands have abrasions on both sides of them (how did that happen) and skinned my knees. I look like I got in a bar fight. The best news is they can’t see any facial fractures on Ct scan or X-rays and no broken teeth. Also there was a plastic surgeon in the hospital so I got the best repair possible. I won’t be able to chew for a week or so. Maybe I can lose a couple of pounds! 

I’ll heal and this is small compared to the suffering in North Carolina, just painful. 

Ouch.  Sounds painful just reading this.  Glad to hear that it wasn't worse.  Sorry that you had to miss the game/band. ☹️

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

35 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Ouch.  Sounds painful just reading this.  Glad to hear that it wasn't worse.  Sorry that you had to miss the game/band. ☹️

Echoing these sentiments.  Hoping you are feeling better soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I started thinking of calling uber by 9 am and held out until 10 am so was here 11 to 1130. My flight was changed to 1:45. Delayed 2:11, 2:17, 2:22... no seats left so I'm at the next gate waiting but can see my terminal from here. 

I couldn't use  y credit toward early bird, so I counted to 10 and lushed the button to get a boarding line up. A50. 50th person to board so pretty good except we have a ultra full flight I think. The 11:15 flight to hobby cancelled and ours is delayed. 

All the wheelchairs for my flights are lined up already, since they can sit in their wheelchairs. Wish I'd beought a empty travel cup with lid. I have a extra large coke I'm sitting here with, dont know if i can carry it on or not. ..Houston bound. 

Have a safe flight and wonderful cruise!

We just got back from visiting friends on Kiawah Island in South Carolina.  This is my 4th time there and every time I am equally impressed with how beautiful it is.  Their condo has a great view:

APC_4233.thumb.JPG.83d3b536109844e3636b3fcaced2afb1.JPG

The sunrise over the ocean is always a winner.

APC_4231.thumb.JPG.5f64560a434328bfbcfcf07d52180c16.JPG

One of the primary reasons to go to Kiawah is to play golf.  It's one of the top-rated golf resorts in the world with the crown jewel of their collection being The Ocean Course, which has hosted a Ryder Cup and 2 PGA Championships, and is the #4 ranked public course in the US.  It's the most beautiful course that I've ever played while at the same time being the second hardest (behind only the TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course).  I managed to shoot an 88 this time, beating my goal of breaking 90.  Most importantly, I made a 20-foot putt on the 18th hole for a par that beat my friend in our match, making the beer that he owed me afterwards taste even better.  If you want to see more about the course, Golf Digest has an 11-minute video that goes through each hole.  You can ignore the golf strategy stuff and just enjoy the view.

The Ocean Course has the best 19th hole that I've ever seen, with the possible exception of Pebble Beach.  For those who don't know, the 19th hole is a nickname for the bar where you gather to celebrate after a round.  Here's the view from the Ryder Cup Bar patio, overlooking the 18th hole and the Atlantic Ocean.  Bliss.

Besides golf, we enjoyed some pool time and some great food and drink.  We got a car service one night to take us into Charleston where we enjoyed several cocktails and a great meal.  We started at The Citrus Club, which is a rooftop bar in The Dewberry Hotel.  It has great views and an interesting cocktail menu.

IMG_1502.thumb.jpg.653f5511f9e147eef0b861a8c0160e51.jpg

IMG_1505.thumb.jpg.acc8cc524b29cd7d0b1b45628a556724.jpg

My friend and I, who both like Bourbon, started with the Pineapple Old Fashioned.  I definitely need to try to recreate this at home.  Delicious.  Our wives stuck with white wine.

IMG_1503.thumb.jpg.e74e2c008a8895351cbfd24811b4253e.jpg

Round 2 was a Mai Tai for me (similar to the original recipe which was very tasty) and my friend switched to the Tropical Itch.  Yes...that's a real back scratcher in his drink.  We got some blue crab dip and crispy pina colada shrimp to ensure that we weren't drinking on empty stomachs.  Sorry...no food pics...just drinks.

IMG_1506.thumb.jpg.17073060459a3cbe1b6b8f5fbd8e800f.jpg

We then moved to a small bar called Doar Bros.  I started with their signature Manhattan (really good) while my friend had the Bourbon & Clyde (great).  He liked it so much that I tried one for round 2 and it was indeed great.  Another one to try to imitate.  The pistachio on top of the egg white foam gave it a great taste.  I didn't get one but was really tempted to try the Give It A Whey Now, because it has Chili Pepper in it. 😁  I love things that are clever like that. 

IMG_1509.thumb.jpg.756172fefebdb1b918a7ea19797fabad.jpg

IMG_1511.thumb.jpg.40a343c2bb2a04c1721eecfedc931d20.jpg

Dinner was at a great restaurant called Hank's Seafood.  It's sort of an old school, upscale, seafood place with wait staff who wore white jackets and bartenders with leather strapped aprons.  It reminded me of Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach for those who have been there.  Excellent food, plus another Old Fashioned and a Sazerac (my first time) and oh yeah...some seared tuna croquettes for my meal.  Yummy.

It's a really good thing that we had a car service for the 45 minute drive home.  My friend would have had to miss some great cocktails if he was driving, and 3 of the 4 of us slept in the car.  My friend's wife has been visiting Kiawah with her family since she was young and had a great conversation with the driver who was in his 60s and has lived in the area his entire life.  It was a different place 30-40 years ago.

Time to spend a few days recovering from our vacation. 😁

• Like 12

4 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I usually get wifi package, but DH doesn't and yet I can send him a text and he gets it on his iPhone and the only wifi he has is the free one for Royal. I have no idea how but I’m not letting them know.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

All the wheelchairs for my flights are lined up already, since they can sit in their wheelchairs. Wish I'd beought an empty travel cup with lid. I have a extra large coke I'm sitting here with, dont know if i can carry it on or not. ..Houston bound. 

You must be on Southwest, Ive never seen so many wheelchairs on any other airline.  That may change when we get to pick our seats when we purchase. It got so bad once with well over 20 wheelchairs in line that they asked if anyone can walk on please do, and they all got up and walked on. I’ll add that while they were waiting some werent even sitting in the wheelchairs, they were up and around getting snacks and drinks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Wanting some ideas on what types of travel insurance does everyone get for their cruises. We have had cruiseline offered and also from allianz (?) in the past.

We go to InsureMyTrip, enter in our trip info, and pick one of the several plans offered from all of the big name travel insurance companies.  They do a good job of comparing what you get from different companies so that we can match against our needs.  We've ended up choosing Nationwide more than others.  I've never had to make a claim and can't comment on how good they are in that respect.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ouch, this sounds painful.  Glad to hear nothing is broken but you must be sore all over.   

Are you on a liquid / soft food only diet for the week?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Ouch, this sounds painful.  Glad to hear nothing is broken but you must be sore all over.   

Are you on a liquid / soft food only diet for the week?

Pretty much anything I can get thru a straw on one side of my mouth or jello, yogurt. All the sutures will self dissolve but it’s so swollen inside my mouth it’s impossible to chew.  Antibiotics, oral rinses. I feel so stupid for not watching where I was going and really sad to miss the DGS band show.  He has another competition in a couple of weeks and I will be there!