Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, Lionesss said:

We enjoyed watching    " I Land"  had an unusual twist, but was a short mini series.  Did not figure it out till 3rd episode.

Now were watching The 100, yup got addicted to it to quick.  Only finishing first season.  Got a long way to go.

Stay healthy.

I watched I Land ,Ozark , Joe and Glitch.

21 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was watching Outer Banks but my 11 year old granddaughter said it is only for kids.

Tell that to all the mom’s who watched Vampire Diaries.  😉

• Haha 1

Trying something new with our pool today.  We have a large Skyline Honeylocust tree near our pool.  It's great for filtered shade over our outdoor eating area.  It is supposed to be seedless but drops some sort of pods/ball shaped stuff in the spring that blows into the pool.  During the week or so that the pods drop, our skimmers get overwhelmed if we don't empty them every couple of hours.  We bought a mesh cover that we plan to stretch over the shallow end of the pool to catch the pods before they hit the water.  No idea how well this will work or whether it will be more or less effort than constantly monitoring the skimmer baskets.  THIS is what we now do for excitement. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Trying something new with our pool today.  We have a large Skyline Honeylocust tree near our pool.  It's great for filtered shade over our outdoor eating area.  It is supposed to be seedless but drops some sort of pods/ball shaped stuff in the spring that blows into the pool.  During the week or so that the pods drop, our skimmers get overwhelmed if we don't empty them every couple of hours.  We bought a mesh cover that we plan to stretch over the shallow end of the pool to catch the pods before they hit the water.  No idea how well this will work or whether it will be more or less effort than constantly monitoring the skimmer baskets.  THIS is what we now do for excitement. 🙄

Why not just bypass the skimmer basket for a week or two and manually skim them off the surface once a day.

Keep your pump running and add a piece of Vacuum hose to the skimmer basket just as if you were vacuuming the pool.  Keeps the water circulating but doesn’t pick up the surface crap. 

Started our pool yesterday, earliest we have ever attemped to start it up. It's 24' Round above ground. (Southern  New Jersey)

We have this large maybe 60 year olf Maple tree not far from it, been fighting all winter and spring with the cover coming off because of all the strong wind and storms...........The Maple tree has these helicopter pods that shed in the spring. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

I manually skimmed most of them off the cover, but with the cover coming loose and ripping off, from time to time some go inside the pool.

So finally yesterday I took the cover off and skimmed off what I could from the top.

The pool is a salt water pool so no chlorine needed..............So hooked up pump, ran it over night. Dark green color was just a pale green now so it is making chlorine nicely........Low voltage goes into the salt water and makes chlorine, kind of neat and no smell and doesn't fade you bathing suit.

Way it's going now we may be able to swim by Memorial Day..........granted water is still pretty chilly.........But it will be nice to have it ready when it warms up.

Edited by Jimbo

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why not just bypass the skimmer basket for a week or two and manually skim them off the surface once a day.

Keep your pump running and add a piece of Vacuum hose to the skimmer basket just as if you were vacuuming the pool.  Keeps the water circulating but doesn’t pick up the surface crap. 

Not a bad idea but they sink to the bottom after a few hours so I don't think manually skimming the surface once a day would be enough.  We also have 2 skimmers but I'm sure I could rig something up to bypass both.  I'm normally at work and it's my wife that has to deal with this.  Trying to find a way to minimize her efforts.  This might end up being more trouble than it's worth, but we have some time on our hands to experiment. 😁

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have this large maybe 60 year olf Maple tree not far from it, been fighting all winter and spring with the cover coming off because of all the strong wind and storms...........The Maple tree has these helicopter pods that shed in the spring. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

Welcome to pool critic.  Don't know if this would work for your situation since it sounds like the helicopter pods (I know exactly what you're talking about) fall before you typically remove your winter cover.  What we are experimenting with is a leaf cover.  The come in a variety of rectangle, circle, and oval sizes:

https://poolsupplyworld.com/winter-cover-leaf-nets/

The openings in the mesh are about 5mm X 3mm so it should catch everything but small bits while allowing water to get through.

38 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Welcome to pool critic.  Don't know if this would work for your situation since it sounds like the helicopter pods (I know exactly what you're talking about) fall before you typically remove your winter cover.  What we are experimenting with is a leaf cover.  The come in a variety of rectangle, circle, and oval sizes:

The openings in the mesh are about 5mm X 3mm so it should catch everything but small bits while allowing water to get through.

Yeah I'm thinking these cruise topics have been beaten to death............Time to talk about something else.........Cruise season is over for 2020.

I looked up in the tree and I think just about most up them are down already, and the way I was battling trying to keep the cover on..........cable ripped eye loops out etc.......I tried putting new ones in it and they also ripped out.

Yeah have considered the net thing, but most years isn't an issue............I just go out every once in a while, fall, winter and spring and scoop things off the top of the cover.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah I'm thinking these cruise topics have been beaten to death............Time to talk about something else.........Cruise season is over for 2020.

Negatory ! Cruise will sail 2020, bank on it

Edited by Newleno

2 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Negatory ! Cruise will sail 2020, bank on it

Cruise with social distancing and masks and no ports and quarantines..........not a ship most will want to sail on, that is not cruising. Most agree, look at this forum, most are moving cruises to next year and beyond.

Only a few still want to cruise tomorrow.

I'm not making this up either, just read this forum , it is  what most people think.

You think Royal caribbean would have come up with this Lift and Shift Option if it planned on cruising anytime in the  next 6 months? I highly doubt it.

Maybe best to just find a private yacht owner and have them sail you around for a day or evening.

Good luck, hope to keep your dream alive.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Started our pool yesterday, earliest we have ever attemped to start it up. It's 24' Round above ground. (Southern  New Jersey)

I manually skimmed most of them off the cover, but with the cover coming loose and ripping off, from time to time some go inside the pool.

So finally yesterday I took the cover off and skimmed off what I could from the top.

The pool is a salt water pool so no chlorine needed..............So hooked up pump, ran it over night. Dark green color was just a pale green now so it is making chlorine nicely........Low voltage goes into the salt water and makes chlorine, kind of neat and no smell and doesn't fade you bathing suit.

Way it's going now we may be able to swim by Memorial Day..........granted water is still pretty chilly.........But it will be nice to have it ready when it warms up.

We live in a condo.Our outdoor pool opens Memorial Day Weekend normally and there is a party to start the summer.This year there are signs reading Pool closed until further notice and of course no party .

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We live in a condo.Our outdoor pool opens Memorial Day Weekend normally and there is a party to start the summer.This year there are signs reading Pool closed until further notice and of course no party .

They had this on the news the other night that people are  buying above ground pools and built in pool sales are up because of Covid-19.  I guess people  are thinking it's best to stay home this summer then chance it at beach resorts and such.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Not a bad idea but they sink to the bottom after a few hours so I don't think manually skimming the surface once a day would be enough.  We also have 2 skimmers but I'm sure I could rig something up to bypass both.  I'm normally at work and it's my wife that has to deal with this.  Trying to find a way to minimize her efforts.  This might end up being more trouble than it's worth, but we have some time on our hands to experiment. 😁

Have you thought about a robot vacuum.  Best thing we ever bought for the pool.  You could  attach An in-line leaf canister between the vac and the intake which would hold all the crap that sinks to the bottom and you’d only have to empty it once a day. https://www.amazon.ca/Hayward-W530-Capacity-Canister-Replacement/dp/B001E2D62W

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We use that in the fall. Just drain the pool down and put that over top.  Don’t even bother with a tarp..  Take it off after all the leaves are down...makes opening 5he pool nice and easy. 

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We use that in the fall. Just drain the pool down and put that over top.  Don’t even bother with a tarp..  Take it off after all the leaves are down...makes opening 5he pool nice and easy. 

That must make the water super green by June when you open it. Might solve some of my problem though when the wind gets under and wrecks havoc. This way there would be no way for wind to get under it.

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That must make the water super green by June when you open it. Might solve some of my problem though when the wind gets under and wrecks havoc. This way there would be no way for wind to get under it.

I start adding Liquid chlorine once the weather starts warming up and the ice goes out.  It gets green bIt that’s nothing that the chlorine won’t fix.  We have a concrete pool so it’s better suited for this than one with a vinyl liner. 

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I start adding Liquid chlorine once the weather starts warming up and the ice goes out.  It gets green bIt that’s nothing that the chlorine won’t fix.  We have a concrete pool so it’s better suited for this than one with a vinyl liner. 

Use to use liquid chlorine, it get expensive real quick. Converted it over to a salt pool using one of those Intex salt machines, uses about seven  of 40lb bags of salt the first year, and then a bag or 2 of salt after  each year after that............

Haven't used any chlorine in over 6 years. Pool water crystal clear all summer. Never need to add any chemicals. 

Have a salt hot tub also...... No chlorine smells here, no faded swim suits.

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Use to use liquid chlorine, it get expensive real quick. Converted it over to a salt pool using one of those Intex salt machines, uses about seven  of 40lb bags of salt the first year, and then a bag or 2 of salt after  each year after that............

Haven't used any chlorine in over 6 years. Pool water crystal clear all summer. Never need to add any chemicals. 

Have a salt hot tub also...... No chlorine smells here, no faded swim suits.

Chlorine’s not bad $6 for a 10 litre pail.  I’m under $200 for the season including other chemicals. I don’t keep the chlorine high enough that you notice it other than the weekly shock. 

We’ve never had a pool that we had to close for the winter.  But in our AZ home do have a neighbor with a tree that is now over our pool and drops crazy leaves over our pool.  I hate that tree.  The good news is that the water is too cold in the “winter” to get algae. So more of an aesthetic issue than anything.  Pool only open March -November.  In Cabo, year round pool but no trees, so easy to keep clean.  But we prefer the sea.  

Never heard of a salt spa.  Ours are CL.  Never seen a salt spa, is it part of the pool, or separate?

• Like 1

Since it’s pool day today on the boards I was active as well.

Hopefully the last vacuum of the year.  We, or should I as I 😉, cleaned the filters as well. That is my least favourite job. Ours is a salt water pool with a chlorine generator. 

We have only had one shock at opening day, 1 bag of salt and 3 vacuums and it looks like this. We even turned the heater up to 70 to get the water balanced, now that the weather is starting to look better. 

F94D6C1C-DE35-4F81-AD91-BE0A5117043F.thumb.jpeg.fe64ddf5d90a66b68deb17f7f70b1dcd.jpeg

Next time it’s open the robot goes it. They even have remote controlled ones... I’d be playing for hours. LOL. 

Here we suffer from pine needles at times. We have 100 year old plus pine trees up wind so when the cover is open on a windy day the next time we have to blow them off the cover and scoop the ones floating on the water. Our neighbours have a pond and sometimes we have to remove the occasional frog. Our first year we must have removed 50 baby frogs from the pool.

596887A6-FA26-4F98-AD04-D795E228DD1A.thumb.jpeg.afa5f1adac8d041ea7fa6997fe28c4c6.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Have you thought about a robot vacuum.  Best thing we ever bought for the pool.  You could  attach An in-line leaf canister between the vac and the intake which would hold all the crap that sinks to the bottom and you’d only have to empty it once a day. https://www.amazon.ca/Hayward-W530-Capacity-Canister-Replacement/dp/B001E2D62W

We have a Nautilus cc Plus robot vacuum.  Completely agree that it was a great purchase.  It does not connect through the filter system though.  It has it's own power and onboard filters for trapping what it picks up.  There are so many pods from the tree that it also gets overwhelmed. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We’ve never had a pool that we had to close for the winter.  But in our AZ home do have a neighbor with a tree that is now over our pool and drops crazy leaves over our pool.  I hate that tree.  The good news is that the water is too cold in the “winter” to get algae. So more of an aesthetic issue than anything.  Pool only open March -November.  In Cabo, year round pool but no trees, so easy to keep clean.  But we prefer the sea.  

Never heard of a salt spa.  Ours are CL.  Never seen a salt spa, is it part of the pool, or separate?

Hot tub is separate from the pool and has one of these. Low voltage into salt water makes chlorine gases.

https://www.spadepot.com/Saltron-Mini-Spa-Salt-Water-System-Chlorine-Generator-P2457

Edited by Jimbo