Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Well, today is the day that Owen is a teenager. Hard to think that 13 years have flown by so quickly, but the last 10 weeks have been so incredulously slow. 

We surprised Owen with gifts as soon as he woke. He came downstairs to find this waiting, over and above breakfast. 

B768A884-6191-47A0-BC62-997E5BAB8771.thumb.jpeg.f590a61bd68f349d7ce0203189d74bbe.jpeg

The big box contained the cushy backrest. 

B48AE659-E7E2-4C31-8E3E-6B553A057A0C.thumb.jpeg.e36e08392637fc5560cf070923fe0664.jpeg

We even did our hair today. 

0A7E0B88-6DAD-4344-829F-6BC794373BC8.thumb.jpeg.7ea57600fc0e40ddee57c1adf3c44184.jpeg

I will admit, we went over the top for gifts.  My reasoning to Lisa was as follows.  Since we could not have a birthday party like normal, that “extra” money should go towards something special.  Something that he would not normally get.

The last few years instead of asking for gifts from friends, he has asked for food for the local food bank and donations to be made to the Children’s Hospital where Allie spent much of her life. This was the year to spoil Owen. 

This is the look of surprise.

7FB2AFB7-C2D7-470C-8309-5238A58FE5DF.thumb.jpeg.05024f7a1709dd82cb960afe0acd8d65.jpeg

I guess we really surprised our hard working, great grades, and exceptionally good natured boy.... I mean teenager.

Damn, that makes me feel old. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 11

After lunch both grandmothers travelled less than a mile, to a spacial separation party in our garage. We opened the doors when they arrived, but not our arms. LOL

B7AF01F0-B92D-4315-8841-2B53021EA550.thumb.jpeg.a99c6928c10adb64b48e359106caefac.jpeg

B7FDC350-90A7-40B6-9BA5-0376E965608F.thumb.jpeg.92c886afe2e1bb362d0f33ad9a65bb5f.jpeg

The sign we had at the end of the lane way brought some honks.  Even though traffic has decreased to 8 cars a day, the best was from the local propane delivery truck. They laid on the horn and hard. 

E5C06AEC-C360-4DD9-8FE5-E75C7F1749AD.thumb.jpeg.2f41bf2ae0faae7da689f41481510097.jpeg

His request for dinner tonight, Chops.  Ribeyes specifically.

C8A0E071-7E4A-4626-8E02-C67BED45929A.thumb.jpeg.4724233f6979db23b67916be56597118.jpeg

• Like 2

And if you want a laugh, spot what is wrong in this photo.

1865893E-E981-4456-B9A8-8C34727B08D2.thumb.jpeg.e10073a8779b449b145d020b926f531d.jpeg

We have had this banner for years, and today was the first time I noticed the spelling error.  Thanks to Owen, walking out of the house and seconds later saying, where’s the “i” in birthday. Whoever was working the assembly line that day was using phonetic spelling. 

Obviously Lisa doing the home schooling has been paying off.😉

• Like 1

It's great that you got Owen's fantastic reaction on video.  Savor it.  Now that he's a teenager, that may be the last time that he shows excitement and emotion until he's 21.  🤣

I also just realized that his birthday is Cinco de Mayo.  In 8 more years, that could be a problem.  Happy belated birthday to Owen.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

......donations to be made to the Children’s Hospital where Allie spent much of her life.

Such a thoughtful gesture 👍

Heartfelt wishes  💐🌷🌼🌻 for Owen's "bar-mitzvah"s 😁😍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I also just realized that his birthday is Cinco de Mayo

Lisa, February 14.

Mine, December 31.

Allie’s would have fallen upon the occasional Easter. 

not planned at all, but freaky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa, February 14.

Mine, December 31.

Good job! No way any if your birthdays will be forgotten. 

On 5/7/2020 at 2:08 AM, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa, February 14.

Mine, December 31.

I share the same birthday date with Lisa. Hubby is always good at getting two bunches of flowers, one for my birthday and one for Valentines.  💐🎂💕

Happy belated birthday wishes to Owen. May the teenage fun years begin!! 

Sue

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

Happy Belated Birthday to Owen!!!   It’s been fun watching him grow up!  And if my house is anything like yours - that was the last birthday photo you took where you are the tallest!!!     My oldest will be 14 in September and sometime between his birthday and Christmas he shot up 4-5 inches...today he is about 5’10” and growing every day!   Good for his sports career if sports are ever allowed again  (basketball and baseball) and super helpful around the house - but still totally crazy to have him tower over us!!  I am 5’4” and DH is 5’7” or so!!

so glad you were able to see the grandmothers!!!  My parents are in another state and we are not allowed to cross state lines 😩 without doing another 14 days of quarantine for work which my DH won’t do. 

I cannot believe that you all (even Allie) have holiday birthdays!!!   Do you like it or hate it?   I feel like I would really hate sharing a Christmas or Thanksgiving Birthday...would be hard to balance the family traditions with a birthday...but that most others would be managable and Cinco De Mayo could be really fun as long as you liked something Mexican!!!

hope everyone is holding up in quarantine....I have gotten some poison ivy from cleaning up the yard which sucks but otherwise we are making good progress...but it’s not all good news.. pool gets opened on Monday, the ridge vent / hips on the roof replaced the end of the week. Sprinklers are on and Septic system was pumped on Tuesday.....but yesterday while cleaning the basement we discovered that the water heater is leaking so today we will be talking to folks about converting to tankless...and we finally got a quote for putting in a partial basketball court in the yard and it’s more than I really want to spend ...still might do it anyway but I really wanted it to be a little less to make the decision easier since we just can’t figure out how often the kids are going to use it!   If I knew that there would always be kids here using it for a few months of the year - it would be so much easier to commit!!

OH!!  And ITS SNOWING HERE ❄️ ❄️❄️

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:52 AM, A&L_Ont said:

If I forget Lisa’s I’m done for. 😉

"My rationale" of not letting DH forget our wedding aniversary.... He and his sister were born on the same day, 7 years apart. Not planned.

I knew that no way he'll remember our aniversary, but my SIL will remember herself and her little brother b'day.

We had a choice of dates for our wedding, back in 1973, so I've chosen the January 17th (same as their birth).

So, it goes like this -- early in the morning, my SIL calls (and now whatsups) to congratulate DH. He, in turn, congratulates her.

And, by the way, he suddenly remembers.... oh, it's also our wedding day 😁 Early enough to send some flowers.

For my own b'day, there are enough friends (and even kids) to remember, so, by late afternoon, he's getting the message too....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So this week I was getting a little bored with the daily routine............

So I decided to spice it up a little bit.

On Tuesday, I noticed a little sensitivity around a tooth a molar to be specific  in the lower back left.

I could handle hot coffee and such, but cool water which I drink a lot of was not going to happen.

So I called our dentist, a good friend of the family and he met me in the office.

He took an xray and said --"that tooth has almost all filling in it, but you can see a part of the filling is missing, but the tooth is still intact".  He goes we are going to top it off with more filling and file it down for your bite.

He goes I will have to drill for about 15 seconds, and he goes do you want to do it with out novacaine,  knowing I am a woos when it comes to dental pain, I go NO!.

He goes you will be fine.

He proceeds and I do the death grip on the chair and he goes am I hurting you, I try to nod and he goes I am done.

Good job by him

30 min later I was on my merry way.

Wednesday, the tooth felt a little funny, but took a tylenol and felt ok.

Thursday the cold sensitivity returned, but ehhhh  husband said it was the new filling settling in.

Thursday night, about 11pm.   pain, felt warmth around the area, hurt like the dickens, took a Motrin, fell asleep for about one hour.  

About 1 am ish.   woke up with severe pain, could barely talk with out crying (talked to the cat).

Called office, at 8am.  Closed.

Called his personal phone.

He was able to see me at 11am.

Um, apparently when he did his 15 second torture drill for the top off filling, my tooth cracked.

And it slowly became infected over 2 1/2 days.

So now two choices

1.  A root canal, but he said that tooth already is more filling than tooth, that the root canal may last 2 years.

or 

2.  Pull it.

I go, pull it.

Well since the area was infected the local did not block it readily, it took about 20 min for it to work, and I was ecstatic that the pain was gone.

Then faster than a speeding bullet the tooth was extracted roots and all.

Now, Day one of recovery.

On pain pills (Now I know why people take drugs........................BUZZED)

Antibiotics for 10 days.

Oh, and told my husband their better be another cruise certificate under my pillow, from the tooth fairy.

So, next time I get bored, I think I will go for a bike ride.

In reality, I had no choice, had to get done. 

Stay healthy.

• PS

Happy Belated birthday Owen.

Many more,

• Like 2

Still very hot here in the Philippines, still no satellite tv plus the CD player broke.  We decided to have a central air conditioning unit installed.  Every place we went we had our temperatures taken and our hands and shoes sanitized.  Made the purchase on Wednesday and the unit was delivered at 11:45 AM the next day, 10 mile trip, and was running by 4:30 PM.  We set it at 25 C (77F) and closed all the doors and windows.  Amazing how cool and quiet it got, muffling the sounds of the local kids and animals.

My wife has been helping feeding and caring for her brother's puppies.  Two dogs each had 6 puppies back on March 13 and 15, and so far only one has died. Sunday 4 puppies were given to visiting family members from Narvacon, about 11 miles south of here.  The remaining 7 spend a lot of time in our house, my wife protecting the two runts of the litters.

Even though we get no more satellite tv a few local stations are available, all in either Tagalog or Ilocano.  We had 7 kids visit to play with the puppies, watch tv and soak in the air con.  They and their parents stayed overnight, currently sleeping on our living room sofas and floor at 5:35 AM as I write this.  One niece resigned from her job in Manila and came back to Santa two weeks ago, she had to spend 14 days quarantine in the local school, just got released yesterday.  We hope to be leaving in 30 days.

• Like 1

Happy birthday to Owen! 
      As an educator it’s been really tough not seeing my students. Remote doesn’t work for all kids. The highlight of my week happened on Thursday when I held a thirty minute lesson in a driveway (social distancing) to a student who has not engaged in remote learning since we closed school in March. There is hope 🙂.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kteacher said:

Happy birthday to Owen! 
      As an educator it’s been really tough not seeing my students. Remote doesn’t work for all kids. The highlight of my week happened on Thursday when I held a thirty minute lesson in a driveway (social distancing) to a student who has not engaged in remote learning since we closed school in March. There is hope 🙂.

I just want to say thank you for doing that!!     It’s such a tough time for students!!

Hope all the moms out here had a spectacular Mother’s Day! 

Busy week here...pool gets opened today..new tankless got water heater mid week, roof repair end of week and cleaning lady on Friday!