Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@dani negreanu Welcome back 😀   We all missed you!    1) It does not look good that Netanyahu has been elected back as a PM?   2) Isn't he under investigation for corruption?

1) No it's not, because his only aim is to void his trial. That's why he took the whole country to 5 rounds of elections, and this time he sadly succeeded.....

2) He is, for almost a year now, under trial on 3 counts of corruption and other 2 which I don't know how to translate... His wife was convicted 3 years ago for maltreatment of cleaning ladies working at their official residence. And, sadly, our "forefathers" didn't even envision that someone under trial will try [and succeed] to be PM, so there we are.... No law against it. 😢 😢 😢

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Dani, I am very sad to read that the change in “climate” will have such an impact on your lives.

I know you have many wonderful long term friends and your family in Israel so this is probably going to be a no but I have to ask if moving countries would be a consideration for you at some point?

Yes, it is. After the last 2 rounds of hostilities, I've spoken openly on this thread about me being "too old" to run to the shelter every time... The question is where... and at our age, having a good "state" and private medical insurance is a huge consideration. 

Until this change of "climate", my boys wouldn't even consider "moving countries". They both served their compulsory army service to the best of their abilities, being combatants and the elder one finishing as a lieutenant. And continuing to serve a month a year as reservists.

This week is the first time that my married son, with 2 young kids, told me that they fear for the future and would like to leave. He's a lawyer with an MA degree, studying now for his Ph.D. in law, so may be with his future credentials, he could find an academic position "elsewhere". My DIL is a clinical social worker with an MA degree. Meantime, their profession is not suitable for "relocation".

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Did you ever need to use the shorthand?

I loved typing and using shorthand!  One of my jobs in NYC was as an Executive Secretary in midtown.  My boss was a VP and passed away.  After his passing, I took a job at White & Case (Mayor Giuliani was a Lawyer there) as a Legal Secretary before leaving to marry Jim and begin raising our family.

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Renee + 1, @ReneeFLL

@BonnieNYTX, @akcruz & @helen haywood, thanks for your kind words.

Like all of you, I also had trouble signing in….

Besides, I’m reeling from the change of “climate” in Israel. A minority which doesn’t work, doesn’t serve (either in the army, police, health services), refuses to learn even math and English, will have the upper hand in our lives. Will send my boys to war, while their kids are safe….

I’m very sad, along with half the population, that our only country is lost.

I'm so sorry to hear of the troubles in your Country, Dani.  😢

It is good to have you back.  You were truly missed.  (I still can't log in on my phone, even after mema and Graham advised me...darned thing just won't cooperate)

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Fly first class! 

I was stuck in the middle seat on a flight to FLL and Never again will I do that.   The lady that was next me in the Aisle seat was so annoying the whole ride.    Kept moving around, talking to herself, babbling away.    On our flight home we decided to both sit in aisle seats to avoid one of us being stuck in the middle.  

Jim and I will both sit in aisle seats across from each other on long flights...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Pretty sure mine is the roller, it thumps like a sneaker is in it.  My guy is coming tomorrow and I am sure he will want to get a new dryer.  Mine is very old, already replaced the motor.🥴

Good luck tomorrow, Marietta!

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

My mom always used to keep track of the wrapped Christmas presents with shorthand (back in the 70s).  She had a list with everyone's name (printed) and what she had wrapped already (in shorthand) so she knew if she needed to do more shopping or go find hidden presents she'd already purchased. 

That is Brilliant!!!!!!!😉

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I could get used to that name, I like it. 

I wonder if I can change my CC name? 🤔  (j/k)

I have posted on 19 cruise boards,several Brooklyn Nostalgia boards and my HS message board all with different screen names.In 1999 a Brooklyn nostalgia board that still exists and may possibly be the longest running still active board was chosen by a NYC magazine for a story on the Internet and this new thing,a message board.The magazine ‘s Editor contacted the owner of the board and said they would like to do a story about the site and interview the two people who post the most.One was me .The other person and I had many e-mail and phone conversations .

I bought 5 copies of the magazine and the Editor sent me 3 copies.

I was really excited and much to my surprise there was only one paragraph about the two of us and my last name was spelled wrong.

• Like 4

We just did our check in for our 12.04 sailing on Anthem.   Check in is so much easier now without having to upload vaccination records and input all that info.

This time I did it on the app and tried the option to scan passport instead of manually loading the info.   Worked great!!

We picked 1 pm check in. 

After sitting in long line of cars for 11 am check in for Oasis sailing on 8.28 we decided to go back to our usual time and hope for less traffic and for cabins to be ready so we can drop off our backpacks in cabin before getting lunch.

I feel like I can do happy dance now that we don't have to test 2 days before😀

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 13

43 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I loved typing and using shorthand!  One of my jobs in NYC was as an Executive Secretary in midtown.  My boss was a VP and passed away.  After his passing, I took a job at White & Case (Mayor Giuliani was a Lawyer there) as a Legal Secretary before leaving to marry Jim and begin raising our family.

I'm so sorry to hear of the troubles in your Country, Dani.  😢

It is good to have you back.  You were truly missed.  (I still can't log in on my phone, even after mema and Graham advised me...darned thing just won't cooperate)

Jim and I will both sit in aisle seats across from each other on long flights...

I worked at 1271 Avenue of the Americas. I believe that White & Case was on the same block.

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Besides, I’m reeling from the change of “climate” in Israel. A minority which doesn’t work, doesn’t serve (either in the army, police, health services), refuses to learn even math and English, will have the upper hand in our lives. Will send my boys to war, while their kids are safe….

I’m very sad, along with half the population, that our only country is lost.

I "hear" you and I understand. Totally.

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

1) No it's not, because his only aim is to void his trial. That's why he took the whole country to 5 rounds of elections, and this time he sadly succeeded.....

2) He is, for almost a year now, under trial on 3 counts of corruption and other 2 which I don't know how to translate... His wife was convicted 3 years ago for maltreatment of cleaning ladies working at their official residence. And, sadly, our "forefathers" didn't even envision that someone under trial will try [and succeed] to be PM, so there we are.... No law against it. 😢 😢 😢

Yes, it is. After the last 2 rounds of hostilities, I've spoken openly on this thread about me being "too old" to run to the shelter every time... The question is where... and at our age, having a good "state" and private medical insurance is a huge consideration. 

Until this change of "climate", my boys wouldn't even consider "moving countries". They both served their compulsory army service to the best of their abilities, being combatants and the elder one finishing as a lieutenant. And continuing to serve a month a year as reservists.

This week is the first time that my married son, with 2 young kids, told me that they fear for the future and would like to leave. He's a lawyer with an MA degree, studying now for his Ph.D. in law, so may be with his future credentials, he could find an academic position "elsewhere". My DIL is a clinical social worker with an MA degree. Meantime, their profession is not suitable for "relocation".

I was married in Israel, lived there for a year, visited approx. 25 times after we went back to the states, and I still can't figure out Israeli politics.  I have no idea how Netanyahu, with his documented sordid background, is PM again. Very sad.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

My office was downtown, I think it was on Maiden Lane.  (long time ago!!😁)

My mom worked on Maiden lane in the 60’s , my first job was 1 broadway, second job was 2 broadway and third was 42 broadway, cool thing about these huge buildings is in you could change jobs and possibly stay in same building. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I love Swyping!  I wish the original app was still being supported.  And you can add words to the dictionary so it learns how you swype.  Way more accurate for me than tapping on every letter individually.

I also used the original Swype app.  It was amazingly accurate & did a great job at "guessing" the word even before your fingers hit the 3rd or 4th letter. Probably why I'm such a lousy typist (typer?)  today is because the first few years of smart phone texting, 75% was swyping.

Whatever Samsung or Android uses for Swipe today is not good. By the time I correct all the wrong word choices,  I could have carved the text into stone with a hammer and chisel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If they call it Biz class won't it still be same the seats that are called first class now?

Probably.  I haven’t really paid attention, except they decided not enough people ever paid for first class, that they decided to eliminate it.  On long haul flights first is best, and there is a difference between Biz.  

Not high on my list of things to figure out though.  We have flown first class a few times, but generally we fly an upgraded version of coach or premium economy on long haul.  On US flights we fly coach.  

JC

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@dani negreanu Welcome back 😀   We all missed you!    It does not look good that Netanyahu has been elected back as a PM?   Isn't he under investigation for corruption?

By the other team… kind of familiar feeling isn’t it?🤣

Have I mentioned we are so screwed recently?

56 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Probably.  I haven’t really paid attention, except they decided not enough people ever paid for first class, that they decided to eliminate it.  On long haul flights first is best, and there is a difference between Biz.  

Not high on my list of things to figure out though.  We have flown first class a few times, but generally we fly an upgraded version of coach or premium economy on long haul.  On US flights we fly coach.  

JC

I really never saw a difference between first and business, I think 90 percent of my flights had either business or first not both and seats were the same. My one European business class had no first class . 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

JC

Just to muddle things even more, not all first class or business class are created equal. Once your start talking short-haul domestic, long-haul domestic, short-haul international and long-haul international, it's like comparing apples to screwdrivers.

First class on a short haul domestic flight barely rates Business class on long-haul Domestic or Economy Plus on International flights. 

Usual disclaimers: YMMV, JMO, etc

• Like 3

Lovely sunny Saturday in Sydney. Had a long Christmas lunch with a group on friends on the verandah of a lovely cafe.  Food was superb.  Never had a burnt Basque cheesecake before.  Very nice. (Not the best photo).

FFE9B436-8D1D-42D6-8544-6988444D7D3E.thumb.jpeg.9967c14e5fc16f7a8fe73764f27a6cd7.jpeg

Drove back  through a smoke haze.  Unfortunately there was unannounced hazard reduction on this afternoon  (normally we get advance notice) so  all the dried washing including sheets & towels has a smoky smell.

*hazard reduction - controlled burning of the bush*

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 11

We have controlled burns here all the time. But they don't seem to help much.

I'm sorry about your washing. But I find it amazing that Australians are so enamored with clotheslines. When our friends from Sydney came to visit, we had to rig up a clothesline in the backyard. (Not a problem ☺️) I just found it different...

The majority of folks here. (At least locally) use gas or electric clothes dryers. 

I think it is probably like your dislike of washcloths, although really, most people use them on faces and not bums. ☺️

I find these different customs absolutely fascinating. ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 7