How have you been virtually traveling or exploring the world?

kimmiekaz

The Cruise Critic editorial team has a series of articles on re-creating cruise experiences at home.

Port Experiences

Wining and Dining

Cruise Entertainment in Your Living Room

Spa and Fitness Routines

Virtual Voyages and Cruise Meetups

But we want to hear from you, too. Share your great ideas and the interesting things you've come across with the cruise community -- so they can enjoy, too.

I'm personally really excited to dive into Viking TV! As a big Downton Abbey fan, I'm particularly interested in the live stream from Highclere Castle, I believe on Fridays.  Here's a link to access and a bit more info on virtual programs from the cruise lines. Happy exploring!

Viking TV

Cruise Lines Roll Out Virtual Content During Coronavirus Shutdown

• Like 1

Er, I've been rather (completely) focused on the pandemic sweeping this planet. We commented this morning that we would have been on a multi-destination trip right now and we never even think about it. We thought about it today cause we got a notice from airbnb that our refund has been approved.

Doing a fair amount of on line research for our next two extended land trips.  First the web research.   Then  we usually order up travel guides from the library.  Decide on one that we think is best for us, then order it on line.  This time we will go straight to on line Lonely Planet guides since our library is closed.

When I get tired it is time to load up one of our BBC Natural History Collection/ David Attenborough DVD's.  Or a John LeCarre dvd.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

As a quick "10-minute getaway" I love to browse the Atlas Obscura website. I never fail to find something surprising, interesting, beautiful, incredible, macabre, kitsch, amazing, etc. It has added a lot of out-of-the-way places to my travel wishlist:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/

I bought the book a couple of years ago and have barely scratched the surface. I love 'trivia.'

14 hours ago, clo said:

How long were you in Florence?

Unfortunately it was on a cruise so a great one day tour , was a great cruise from Barcelona with 5 stops in Italy and 4 other ports, would definitely consider a vacation in Tuscany and Florence. Seeing David was totally amazing.

Edited by George C

I use webcamgalore https://www.webcamgalore.com/ to look at activity all around the world... and a very quiet world it is right now. 

I'm particularly interested in Norway and Iceland, and I've looked at Iceland's Jokulsarlon glacier many times... usually plenty of tourists there, but none now with the lockdown.

Major cities are so quiet, and Caribbean beaches are empty...

The site also uses cruise ship webcams, although I haven't checked to see if they're running at the moment.

• Like 2

I’m watching Rick Steves’ Europe and the “Aerial” travel series on Smithsonian. PBS also has a good “Aerial” travel series. And of course the travel videos I posted on YouTube, great memories of better times... Can’t wait to get back out there with the camera again!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jocap said:

I use webcamgalore https://www.webcamgalore.com/ to look at activity all around the world... and a very quiet world it is right now. 

I'm particularly interested in Norway and Iceland, and I've looked at Iceland's Jokulsarlon glacier many times... usually plenty of tourists there, but none now with the lockdown.

Major cities are so quiet, and Caribbean beaches are empty...

The site also uses cruise ship webcams, although I haven't checked to see if they're running at the moment.

I like to check out webcams too. 

Some of my favorites (naturally!) are of the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona in Rome. As you say, they are eerily quiet now, compared to usual:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/colosseo.html

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/pantheon.html

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/fontana-di-trevi.html

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/piazza-navona.html

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

Can’t wait to get back out there with the camera again!

Your use of out there prompted me to show you

my Out There photo, taken on Caribbean Princess, Dec. 2009

OutThere-132.jpg

• Like 2

We still watch the Port Everglades webcam from time to time. I visited the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts today via the internet to look at its collection of Faberge objects. I looked at some things in the British Museum a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by geoherb

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have 2 large crates for Of vacation souvenirs that I have not opened in a while.I opened one today.

When 'this is over' perhaps you should throw them out!

We just watched Andrea Bocelli Easter concert from Italy had some great Ariel views of Italy fantastic but short concert just 25 minutes it’s on YouTube , highly recommend watching. We were lucky enough to see him about 10 years ago in a 20,000 seat arena but audience was so respectful you could have heard a pin drop . 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, George C said:

We just watched Andrea Bocelli Easter concert from Italy had some great Ariel views of Italy fantastic but short concert just 25 minutes it’s on YouTube , highly recommend watching. We were lucky enough to see him about 10 years ago in a 20,000 seat arena but audience was so respectful you could have heard a pin drop . 

I have every CD ever released by Bocelli,one of my favorite all time singers.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 9:41 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I have 2 large crates for Of vacation souvenirs that I have not opened in a while.I opened one today.

I still have a couple boxes of my Mom's stuff that we enjoy going through every occasionally.  I also have a few boxes of stuff the kids tossed out but I retrieved.  Mostly sports or academic related stuff.  Who knows, maybe some day they will be surprised when they open up the boxes.