Europe still closed until May 15 at the least

susiesan

20 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

strict enforceable order punishable by fines?

We're geting into that on land. I've read that Mayor Garcetti in LA is mandating masks with the proviso that stores don't admit non-compliers But I don't know if there's 'punishment.'

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Is this more of a suggestion (like shelter in place) or a strict enforceable order punishable by fines?

Is it 100 days from today?

I can't  see that there will be any cruise ships in the Med until September or October,  and Oceania will not bring Riviera and Marina  to Europe  this year .

6 minutes ago, roger b said:

I can't  see that there will be any cruise ships in the Med until September or October,  and Oceania will not bring Riviera and Marina  to Europe  this year .

If even by then if there is a second wave. We have cruises in the Fall but in absence of a vaccine I don't think we'll travel this year.

The 1918 flu had the deadliest phase during the second wave out of three total. If we or any other country goes back to "normal" too soon or without a good plan we know what will follow.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Try & find  a mask here in Canada  ..unless you are  a frontline worker   there are none to be had

Cannot even find any hand gel to buy

Have you tried a builder's merchant  ?? that's where I found mine

7 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Same here!  Still no flour or toilet paper in the supermarkets either. 

Are you speaking of Australia at the moment? In Sydney I heard everything is alright. The local markets got all the needed products. There were huge fires in Australia just not that long ago, I expect that they also could have some sort of effect on logistics. In any case, I am surprised that in our western world we have to deal with lack of toilet paper.. its disgracefull really.. very dissapointing. We send ships into space and cant find toilet paper.

41 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Are you speaking of Australia at the moment? In Sydney I heard everything is alright. The local markets got all the needed products. There were huge fires in Australia just not that long ago, I expect that they also could have some sort of effect on logistics. In any case, I am surprised that in our western world we have to deal with lack of toilet paper.. its disgracefull really.. very dissapointing. We send ships into space and cant find toilet paper.

Yes, Australia. Haven’t seen any toilet paper, flour, pasta, antiseptic wipes or cleaning products for a couple of weeks. I don’t think the fires had anything to do with it as we recovered from that disaster a while ago (thankfully). It’s just the idiots stock piling but why you want a house full of toilet paper I really don’t know. Had a message from one of our major supermarkets saying the demand for toilet paper is up 45% from this time last year. Good grief I never thought I’d be posting on this subject! 

Just a word of comfort, so to speak. There is light at the end of the tunnel.  We in the UK had the lack of toilet paper on supermarket shelves for 4 - 5 weeks and now it looks like the idiotic hoarders have enough.   There was never a shortage,  just selfish shoppers.  We saw lots of pictures of  shoppers with trolleys full of paper goods and cleaning fluids and no food 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ 

We now have a problem with lemon juice!!  ( I have it in my tea but I can manage without)   Some one posted somewhere that lemon juice protected against/cured the C 19 virus.   Nuf said.   Keep safe everyone.

Edited by Jay23
Spelling

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

Just a word of comfort, so to speak. There is light at the end of the tunnel.  We in the UK had the lack of toilet paper on supermarket shelves for 4 - 5 weeks and now it looks like the idiotic hoarders have enough.   There was never a shortage,  just selfish shoppers.  We saw lots of pictures of  shoppers with trolleys full of paper goods and cleaning fluids and no food 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ 

We now have a problem with lemon juice!!  ( I have it in my tea but I can manage without)   Some one posted somewhere that lemon juice protected against/cured the C 19 virus.   Nuf said.   Keep safe everyone.

Unbelievable!  Haven’t heard this one but I hope the miracle lemon juice cure doesn’t go viral!

10 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Is this more of a suggestion (like shelter in place) or a strict enforceable order punishable by fines?

Not a suggestion Paul.  They have the authority to make this as the Gov controls the US waterways.  It is a no sail ORDER and requires the cruise lines to revise their plans withing 7 days as they have the authority to do this.

Not 100 days from today, it is 100 days from the publishing of this order in the Federal Register.  There are two other reasons spelled out in the first paragraph that can end the order.  Suggest reading it as lots there and extremely comprehensive.  Not fines, the ships will be stopped and not allowed in US waters.  Very restrictive.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Check out the link I posted above. The issuance is pretty clear and it is a "no sail order." It says it is for 100 days from April 9 but could be lifted, but criteria for lifting it lists some pretty unlikely criteria..like declaration that Covid19 is no longer a national emergency.

Quote: "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for all cruise ships."

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

Check out the link I posted above. The issuance is pretty clear and it is a "no sail order." It says it is for 100 days from April 9 but could be lifted, but criteria for lifting it lists some pretty unlikely criteria..like declaration that Covid19 is no longer a national emergency.

Quote: "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced today the extension of a No Sail Order for all cruise ships."

To be precise it is 100 days from publishing in the Federal Register, NOT any specific date and with the Holiday today doubt it will be before Monday April 13.  This is clearly spelled out in the first paragraph on page 1 and again in the second to last paragraph on page 9

Edited by rallydave

5 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Yes, Australia. Haven’t seen any toilet paper, flour, pasta, antiseptic wipes or cleaning products for a couple of weeks. I don’t think the fires had anything to do with it as we recovered from that disaster a while ago (thankfully). It’s just the idiots stock piling but why you want a house full of toilet paper I really don’t know. Had a message from one of our major supermarkets saying the demand for toilet paper is up 45% from this time last year. Good grief I never thought I’d be posting on this subject! 

yup same here

some "hoarders"  tried to resell on Amazon  until  they were shut down

14 hours ago, clo said:

Or Costco. MAYBE 20% of customers had on masks and when questioned they got pretty nasty. So I emailed Reno's mayor and will also write the governor. LA has made them mandatory and businesses don't have to let them in the door.

You're a wonder. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

we now have TP  😁

So I have this theory on TP. While people are working, shopping, eating out, etc. they are using the facilities away from home. Supplies for most of these places would come through commercial suppliers.

Now that a large number of people are at home there is a much larger demand on the local stores we use. Yes, we have an overabundance of hoarders out there, but there are other issues at play here. 

7 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi Roger - I'm not doubting your observations at all, as I have no alternative data to refute your statement.  But I was just wondering if you were merely expressing an educated opinion, or whether you actually have some "concrete" basis for that assertion (i.e., "Oceania will not bring Riviera and Marina to Europe this year.")?

The reason for my keen interest is that a group of 4 of us are booked on Riviera's TA from Rome to Miami on Oct 28, and we're now in the throes of deciding whether to cancel now, in April - and get all of our deposit back, before we enter the "admin fee" or "penalty phase" at the end of April/May, respectively.

Any additional info would be appreciated.  Obviously, Oceania is going to be loath to "show any of us their cards", while still 6 months away from sailing.  Regards.

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

Now that a large number of people are at home there is a much larger demand on the local stores we use. Yes, we have an overabundance of hoarders out there, but there are other issues at play here. 

Well when you see people with shopping carts full of TP  at the check out not sure if they  had been eating out  all the time & discovered they needed TP at home  or just stock piling LOL

DH  saw one guy clear the shelf of the tins of coffee ..he was either hibernating for the long haul or going to resell it  later LOL

like this

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51909045

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

So I have this theory on TP. While people are working, shopping, eating out, etc. they are using the facilities away from home. Supplies for most of these places would come through commercial suppliers.

Waste Management is having the same problem here with garbage. We're sure learning a lot, aren't we?

19 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Roger - I'm not doubting your observations at all, as I have no alternative data to refute your statement.  But I was just wondering if you were merely expressing an educated opinion, or whether you actually have some "concrete" basis for that assertion (i.e., "Oceania will not bring Riviera and Marina to Europe this year.")?

The reason for my keen interest is that a group of 4 of us are booked on Riviera's TA from Rome to Miami on Oct 28, and we're now in the throes of deciding whether to cancel now, in April - and get all of our deposit back, before we enter the "admin fee" or "penalty phase" at the end of April/May, respectively.

Any additional info would be appreciated.  Obviously, Oceania is going to be loath to "show any of us their cards", while still 6 months away from sailing.  Regards.

Hi, With both Riviera and Marina anchored in U.S waters the season in Europe will be half over by the time the CDC will allow cruise ships to start up again , which would mean Oceania sending two ships to start their seasons cruising in August .

Living in Majorca I do not see airlines getting going before  August /September  and the British government are hinting that that things will not be lifted until October.

This would leave 3 /4 months left before their return to American waters  , I thought logical that is what might happen , My take is that Oceania will keep both ships in US waters and start by doing short cruises from U.S ports .

This just my view lets hope I am Wrong, I would like to hear others opinion on this.

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Looks like 100 days from March 14, the date of the original order. Note that this only applied to US ports and would have no bearing on European or Asian ports.

Or third, 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Just received an email from our TA that O paused all cruises till May 14th - a curious date only 4 days later than current May 10.

Fortunately for us, it includes our May 13th cruise which is now officially cancelled. 😀