Europe still closed until May 15 at the least

susiesan

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Just received an email from our TA that O paused all cruises till May 14th - a curious date only 4 days later than current May 10.

Fortunately for us, it includes our May 13th cruise which is now officially cancelled. 😀

I know you have been waiting for this moment. Maybe your TA is working today (or maybe catching a breath)

image.jpeg.56b2b2eae8fd72fcca6428c0a9482e1d.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Just received an email from our TA that O paused all cruises till May 14th - a curious date only 4 days later than current May 10.

Fortunately for us, it includes our May 13th cruise which is now officially cancelled. 😀

Interesting Paul, Regent did the exact same thing today as well.  Walking in lockstep but, have no reason why??

2 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

I know you have been waiting for this moment. Maybe your TA is working today (or maybe catching a breath)

image.jpeg.56b2b2eae8fd72fcca6428c0a9482e1d.jpeg

My TA is off today and the other one is furloughed - my luck 😞

I left a message on their "emergency" line and sent an email to a third agent in their office. I am anxious to start this process ASAP 😀

I expect these Friday surprise announcement late on Fri from the WH - not Oceania 🙂

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

Interesting Paul, Regent did the exact same thing today as well.  Walking in lockstep but, have no reason why??

Well, I had wondered earlier that the date of May 10 was strange for Oceania as they had no cruises leaving on that day. The first cruise after May 10 was ours on May 13 - thus maybe this makes more sense?

30 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

very odd

But now you can relax 

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Yeaaaaaaah  and start counting days from 90 to 0. 😀

LOL

I am counting the days  when this Virus is gone  so I can leave the house  & shops will be back up & running 😁

Be well & stay safe

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

For what ever reason, you lucked out. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Good news for you, Paul.  One less thing about which to worry.

21 hours ago, clo said:

We're geting into that on land. I've read that Mayor Garcetti in LA is mandating masks with the proviso that stores don't admit non-compliers But I don't know if there's 'punishment.'

I live in a county that requires masks beginning on Monday. Since CDC guidelines recommend folks with breathing difficulties be exempted from requirements to wear masks, not sure how enforcement works.

7 minutes ago, edgee said:

I live in a county that requires masks beginning on Monday. Since CDC guidelines recommend folks with breathing difficulties be exempted from requirements to wear masks, not sure how enforcement works.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks. I've written our governor and mayor who, so far, have been pretty aggressive. We'll see. My personal attitude is 'how dare they?"!

1 hour ago, edgee said:

That is good if you can get  masks

Here  there are none to be had anywhere for the general public

Just now, LHT28 said:

Lyn, where I live in Maryland, no expectation that masks be of a commercial nature...in fact use of masks that health professionals use is discouraged due to shortages. Folks are encouraged to use homemade face coverings which can easily be made from scarfs or cut from tee shirts. Directions are all over the internet. DW and I  made ours in 10 minutes time.

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

Lyn, where I live in Maryland, no expectation that masks be of a commercial nature...in fact use of masks that health professionals use is discouraged due to shortages. Folks are encouraged to use homemade face coverings which can easily be made from scarfs or cut from tee shirts. Directions are all over the internet. DW and I  made ours in 10 minutes time.

Yes  I have seen some  sites on how to make them 

will make a couple tomorrow  now that I checked my fabric stash 😷

Would  have preferred  to buy some of the plain medical ones though before the "profiteers"   grabbed   them 😉

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

There are countless home made things that are acceptable. Google is your friend. No excuse.

59 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Would  have preferred  to buy some of the plain medical ones though before the "profiteers"   grabbed   them 😉

They're asking that the public not get the medical ones.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I even saw them made from socks.

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Yeaaaaaaah  and start counting days from 90 to 0. 😀

Me too !! But I tell you  I am 50/50 that we will get a cash refund,  things are so up in the air unless  the cruise company's can get started again  soon after the 100 days are up I will be keeping  my fingers crossed, Lets hope for the best. 

2 minutes ago, roger b said:

Me too !! But I tell you  I am 50/50 that we will get a cash refund,  things are so up in the air unless  the cruise company's can get started again  soon after the 100 days are up I will be keeping  my fingers crossed, Lets hope for the best. 

I am more like 80/20 in favor of getting the refund. By law they are obligated to do so unless they go into Chapter 11 - which I doubt at this point. I seldom get extra insurance but I have one for this cruise - let's hope I don't need to use it and can use the credit for a future insurance (which I recently found out that one can do that).

Here is hoping for the best for many reasons!

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  I have seen some  sites on how to make them 

will make a couple tomorrow  now that I checked my fabric stash 😷

I have white cotton dinner napkins that I am going to use for masks. It is amazing what you can find around the house 😉  I fold them like a bandana and tie in the back. 

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have white cotton dinner napkins that I am going to use for masks. It is amazing what you can find around the house 😉  I fold them like a bandana and tie in the back. 

Darn  gave away all that stuff  when we had a yard sale

Had some linen napkins we never used ...now I could use them LOL

Lots of innovative ideas out there 😁

Be well

Image may contain: one or more people and people sitting

• Haha 1

Paul: I can confirm about having your miles redeposited and no charge when you cancel your UA award tickets. I did this yesterday for the June 26 Marina Baltic that I cancelled on Thursday. You can do it online, the miles go back instantly. You will click through 3 0r 4 screens until you get to the final one. There is a statement that says how much taxes will be refunded to the credit card used to pay for them. I don't mind waiting for that amount as it isn't too much. I canceled 4 J award tickets putting 270K miles back in my account.

Now I have way too many UA miles in my account and no where to go with them.

23 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi, With both Riviera and Marina anchored in U.S waters the season in Europe will be half over by the time the CDC will allow cruise ships to start up again , which would mean Oceania sending two ships to start their seasons cruising in August .

Living in Majorca I do not see airlines getting going before  August /September  and the British government are hinting that that things will not be lifted until October.

This would leave 3 /4 months left before their return to American waters  , I thought logical that is what might happen , My take is that Oceania will keep both ships in US waters and start by doing short cruises from U.S ports .

This just my view lets hope I am Wrong, I would like to hear others opinion on this.

Further to this post a very interesting article in today guardian newspaper !!!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/11/cruise-firms-face-off-the-scale-challenge-in-wake-of-coronavirus

23 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi, With both Riviera and Marina anchored in U.S waters the season in Europe will be half over by the time the CDC will allow cruise ships to start up again , which would mean Oceania sending two ships to start their seasons cruising in August .

The CDC order only affects cruises operating in US territorial waters. If by some chance European ports were to reopen Oceania could immediately reposition the ships sans passengers to Europe. 

By the way, Riviera is docked in Nassau, Bahamas, not the US. You can see it clearly on this web cam. https://www.portnassauwebcam.com/

Edited by njhorseman