Europe still closed until May 15 at the least

susiesan

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The CDC order only affects cruises operating in US territorial waters. If by some chance European ports were to reopen Oceania could immediately reposition the ships sans passengers to Europe. 

With the ships currently in US waters, they would not be allowed to leave the US waters until the ORDER is cancelled.  That problem exists for all ships currently in US waters that they would not be allowed to navigate out of their port until the CDC and any subsequent ORDERS were ended.

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

With the ships currently in US waters, they would not be allowed to leave the US waters until the ORDER is cancelled.  That problem exists for all ships currently in US waters that they would not be allowed to navigate out of their port until the CDC and any subsequent ORDERS were ended.

I don't see anything in the order that would prevent them from leaving US waters as long as they were not returning while the order is in effect.

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The CDC order only affects cruises operating in US territorial waters. If by some chance European ports were to reopen Oceania could immediately reposition the ships sans passengers to Europe. 

European ports will not open any time soon  !!! We are being told by our media that this virus is going to be going on for 18 months and social distancing is going to be the norm from from now on until a vaccine is found . Personally I have not this grim view of life ahead as a a cure will be found.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1267752/UK-Coronavirus-lockdown-latest-vaccine-Dominic-Raab-Matt-Hancock

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't see anything in the order that would prevent them from leaving US waters as long as they were not returning while the order is in effect.

Believe the ORDER covers navigating in US waters not only arriving so in order to leave the ships have to navigate US waters at least out to  the 12 mile limit or wherever US waters end.  

Second paragraph of page 2 of the ORDER covers this limitation.  Sorry cannot copy from my Adobe  Cannot even change berths under the ORDER

Edited by rallydave

5 minutes ago, roger b said:

a cure will be found.

I don't think they're looking for a "cure." A vaccine, yes. And treatments, like they have for HIV. From what I've read the best hope is 18 months and the average time is 4-5 years.  

Doesn't sound like Europe is particularly interested in welcoming cruise ships.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/shipping/news/europe-braces-for-cruise-ship-arrivals/

7 minutes ago, roger b said:

European ports will not open any time soon  !!! We are being told by our media that this virus is going to be going on for 18 months and social distancing is going to be the norm from from now on until a vaccine is found . Personally I have not this grim view of life ahead as a a cure will be found.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1267752/UK-Coronavirus-lockdown-latest-vaccine-Dominic-Raab-Matt-Hancock

I'm not saying they will be opening any time soon. I said "If by some chance European ports were to reopen". 

The purpose of my post was to suggest that the current docking or anchorage locations of the ships would not be  a deterrent. By the way you may have not seen my edit pointing out that Riviera isn't docked in the US anyway. It's docked in Nassau.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Now I have way too many UA miles in my account and no where to go with them.

But fortunately we can hope and dream of a future where we once again will be able to use them.  Patience is in short supply these days but we all are being forced to practice it. Just hope I can learn it quickly!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Believe the ORDER covers navigating in US waters not only arriving so in order to leave the ships have to navigate US waters at least out to  the 12 mile limit or wherever US waters end.  

Second paragraph of page 2 of the ORDER covers this limitation.  Sorry cannot copy from my Adobe  Cannot even change berths under the ORDER

No need to CAPITALIZE "ORDER". I've read the actual order.  I don't agree with your interpretation if for no other reason that it defies  common sense .

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Now I have way too many UA miles in my account and no where to go with them.

But they don't expire. And if cruising as we know it today is over, just fly somewhere and have a great time. Our cruise that got canceled was less than 25% of the itinerary...but then most of Europe shut down 🙂

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No need to CAPITALIZE "ORDER". I've read the actual order.  I don't agree with your interpretation if for no other reason that it defies  common sense .

Sorry about the .  While parts of the order may defy common sense, that it what it says so it is the order until ended or modified   By the way, agree with your comments but, it is what it is and believe it does limit any movement of the ships in US waters.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

That is good if you can get  masks

Here  there are none to be had anywhere for the general public

14 hours ago, edgee said:

Lyn, where I live in Maryland, no expectation that masks be of a commercial nature...in fact use of masks that health professionals use is discouraged due to shortages. Folks are encouraged to use homemade face coverings which can easily be made from scarfs or cut from tee shirts. Directions are all over the internet. DW and I  made ours in 10 minutes time.

I tried to use a pair of jockey shorts the other day when we went to Walmart, but the wife nixed that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Paul: I can confirm about having your miles redeposited and no charge when you cancel your UA award tickets. I did this yesterday for the June 26 Marina Baltic that I cancelled on Thursday. You can do it online, the miles go back instantly.

Based on your(?) post about this a little while ago I did cancel my TAP award with UA miles. No trouble doing it w/o a fee and I got the taxes back in 2 days but 8 days later my miles are not back yet - will call them next week if they are not back.

33 minutes ago, ORV said:

I tried to use a pair of jockey shorts the other day when we went to Walmart, but the wife nixed that. 

Maybe you should have worn the backside in the front - safer that way 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Actualy  using coffee filters  5 micron    will work too.....  by wife  the RN  came up with that wi

Yes  several  people  on Youtube show how to make masks from coffee filters

plus many other  items

Because America is currently the most affected country in the world with covid-19 due to late intervention, all cruises are canceled in America for the next hundred days.

MSC cruiseships and other European cruiselines in US waters departing from the world's largest disaster area to flock to other continents where covid-19 measures are properly enforced and where is improvement against the virus, such as in Northern Europe. 

The MSC ships will leave US waters the coming days.

MSC cruises will resume sailings in these improved covid-19 continents on May 29. 

Edited by Maikell

Well, not all Europe is closed. Scandinavia is open, as well as Baltic states (some of them), the thing is that you cannot travel there because your country is closed lol. The emergency will last till mid of May the least. I would not hope going anywhere before that time and I would rather plan my vacation for Autumn. By September it should be alright

1 minute ago, Maikell said:

Because America is currently the most affected country in the world with covid-19 due to late intervention, all cruises are canceled in America for the next hundred days.

MSC cruiseships in US waters departing from the world's largest disaster area to flock to other continents where covid-19 measures are properly enforced and where is improvement against the virus, such as in Northern Europe. 

The MSC ships will leave US waters the coming days.

MSC cruises will resume sailings in these improved covid-19 continents on May 29. 

Is this a quote? If so, from where please?

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Sorry about the .  While parts of the order may defy common sense, that it what it says so it is the order until ended or modified   By the way, agree with your comments but, it is what it is and believe it does limit any movement of the ships in US waters.

If anything the US should be happy if the cruise ships left US territorial waters. It might even be possible that the US would kick them out and tell them to anchor or dock in their flag states or whatever country would take them. The 7th Coast Guard district even issued a directive in late March ordering ships with sick passengers to stay offshore  and if flagged in the Bahamas to seek help from there.

If Oceania had  to dispatch its ships to the Marshall Islands would they even know where the Marshall Islands are? :classic_laugh: Believe it or not they're in Oceania.

Edited by njhorseman

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If Oceania's ships had dispatch its ships to the Marshall Islands would they even know where the Marshall Islands are?

Been there once - that was more than enough 😀 Couldn't get out of there fast enough.