What things do you see changing??

Cruise Raider

No flames please, but how can muster happen?  We are already packed  in like sardines just getting to and from muster via the stairs, let alone “squeeze in everyone” for the drill itself. The corridors (Promenade deck in particular) are always packed especially after a show.  Vista lounge is usually standing room, especially for Comedians.  How many shows would the Theatre need to do as usually packed.

Idea; Meals; pre-order meals 30 days or so prior to sailing delivered to your cabin for consumption, then set dishes outside room for pickup.  

No more sales tables outside of the shops & the $10.00 sales in the dining rooms.  
cabin hallways are too narrow for distancing and call your neighbor to make sure you don’t go out the door at the same time.  
Walking Promenade and distancing in certain areas aft & smoking section at times difficult to comply with distancing.

Again, no flames, but the only times I have been ill on a cruise was when a lot of kids onboard.  I know of kids/teens who were not well and still cruised, coughing, runny noses, not allergies.

Idea; Maybe they will make the cabins bigger & add a table/2 chairs, take out a wall in inside to balcony rooms to double the size?

Thats it, wish everyone would distance and be careful when in public now so the virus will go away and cruising goes back to normal.  Yes, I do plan to cruise this year, I always practice good hygiene as can’t afford to be ill and Princess staff makes cruising the best vacation.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am not sure everyone gets it!  We cruisers are used to the hand washing plea, which is the best way to deal with Norovirus and other pathogens spread via hands.   But COVID-19 and Influenza are also commonly spread via airborne droplets that come from coughing and sneezing.  Anyone who has spent significant time on ships has likely encountered cruises where Upper respiratory bugs spread like wildfire though a ship.   While the cruise lines can do lots of things to better disinfect a ship, and passengers can help by frequent handwashing, this is not enough to overcome the inability to social distance on a ship.  Like it or not a cruise ship is like a big incubator for many bugs.  If nothing else, the Diamond Princess and Coral Princess has shown that even quarantines in the cabins do not stop the spread of COVID-19.   It would seem that lacking an effective vaccine there is little the cruise lines can do to deal with COVID-19 and other contagious airborne pathogens.

Hank 

Totally agree.  Until there is a reliable vaccine widely in use world wide cruising will be minimal.  I think there has been less effort to clean and sanitize on Princess ships recently.  Seventy seven cruises and # 76 and 77 was the first time I ever had gotten sick.  Food poisoning on #76 and Noro virus on #77.

I also think the economy will not bounce back quickly and many cruisers will not be in a financial position to cruise.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

From what I have heard from people inside Princess who have access to the senior management there are discussions about moving away from the mega ships and returning to the likes of the Sun Princess class and original Grand Princess class excluding the Crown and Caribbean variant with the extra deck on top. 

I would think that Princess would want to go with its newer ships....much more modern, efficient and spacious.  To me it would provide them with much more flexibility for different passenger loads for different length cruises then a smaller ship that would probably need to be full to make a profit and provide for much less opportunities for social distancing then a 1/2 full Royal Class ship would....

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am not sure everyone gets it!  It would seem that lacking an effective vaccine there is little the cruise lines can do to deal with COVID-19 and other contagious airborne pathogens.

Hank 

Totally agree! This virus isn’t suddenly just going be gone. Cases are going to be with us, worldwide, for quite a while. Many are even predicting a second spike sometime in the not-to-distant future.  How many times have you been boarding with someone near you coughing or sneezing but saying “I feel fine” because they know saying anything else will cause them to be denied boarding? Once the ship sails, all it will take is ONE person carrying the virus (whether they know it or not) to start the whole onboard cycle all over again. Plus, on shorter voyages (because of the incubation period), many could end up carrying the virus with no personal symptoms off the ship in ports or after they arrive home. This is going to be a challenge. We love cruising (sailed over 30 times), but it will be a while before we book another voyage. 

• Like 2

There are multiple issues

First are economic. Cruise lines have large leveraged assets, large operating costs and small margins. The only way to cover these costs are to sell fares and maximize on board revenue. I imagine a gradual return with a few ships and itineraries growing as demand increases. Some possible sell offs and moth balling of fleet ships or product lines.

COVID-19 - This will only be resolved when there is a effective vaccine. It will eventually be suppressed, but will cruise lines survive the wait. 

Other health issues. I have been saying for years that the cruise industry should help fund research into noro virus vaccine(s). These viruses have plagued the cruise industry forever. They add cost to the cruise line and concern to current and potential customers.

In the future passengers and crew may require vaccine certification for COVID-19 and other viruses, such as the flu.

In the near term I see some changes to the buffets, but in the long term it will survive in some form.

• Like 2

So much will have to change to satisfy new CDC order, that for many reasons I think that this is the beginning of the end for the cruise industry, at least operating in the US.  Thank goodness that my family enjoys many other 'non-cruise' types of vacations also, I believe that all would agree that cruising is no longer in our plans.  We have been ELITE for many years and enjoyed cruising, but we will once again enjoy life without it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I would like to see the HC/WFA where all food is served by the staff like on HAL ships and in cafeterias here in the US. 

According to the CDC report the virus on the Diamond was mainly spread by food workers.

Additional hand sanitize stations around the ship but most will walk by them like they do now in the HC so I am not sure how effective that would be.  Carry your own.  When I have to use the elevator I use my knuckle to push the buttons.  My pet peeve is those who are able bodied that use the elevator to go to the deck above/below instead of the stairs.  

I did a ship tour on the CB and they had 3 fully equipped ER rooms available and medical staff on duty 24.7 so not sure how much more they can do.  

Cruise cards are rapidly becoming obsolete as the ships transition to OM.  Stand in front of your cabin door and it unlocks.  Place your OM on a reader and the charge is recorded with no crew member touching your device.  Exit and reenter the ship by placing your OM on the reader with no one touching it. You place your OM on a reader that has had hundreds of other OMs placed on it, all of them having been handled by other passengers. It seems to me that there is a light in the reader but I have no evidence that it is UV and it only covers the outer edges anyway.

I do agree that longer time between cruises are needed to effectively clean the ship but maybe not 24 hours.  I could see debark pax in early morning and allow new pax aboard at 5 PM or so giving crew 7 or 8 hours to clean the ship.  

independent shoreside cleaners for turnaround day … a crew of a couple hundred could come on at 8 or so for a 5 hour shift

200 x 5 = 1000 hours of cleaning in conjunction with what the crew is doing in the passenger cabins

off ship by 1 or so as to not delay passenger boarding … too much - better than losing a whole day - have to figure out that little security issue ...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MGAfhc said:

According to the CDC report the virus on the Diamond was mainly spread by food workers.

You place your OM on a reader that has had hundreds of other OMs placed on it, all of them having been handled by other passengers. It seems to me that there is a light in the reader but I have no evidence that it is UV and it only covers the outer edges anyway.

Not started by crew but by pax who had been exposed in port stops and brought it back onto the ship.  The crew had not gone ashore.  The infected pax passed it to the crew mostly food service workers who had direct contact with the pax.  Once a food service crew member was infected it spread like wildfire all over the ship.  

CDC: "Because the first detected cases occurred among passengers who became symptomatic on January 22 and 23, COVID-19 was likely transmitted first from passengers to crew members and subsequently spread among the crew, especially among food service workers. The first case detected in a crew member occurred in a food service worker who developed fever on February 2."  

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6911e2.htm

I have not heard of anyone claiming the light on the reader was UV.  The light in the reader changes colors to signify that it has read and registered the OM placed on it.  It is simply a background light on the reader.  While many pax have the OM on their wrist or pendant, they most likely do not go around rubbing it with their hands.  I keep mine in my pocket and don't make a habit of taking it out and massaging it.  However in the interest of stopping the spread of viruses or even germs, the crew should clean the reader after each use and this may well happen in coming cruises. 

11 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

For me, I don’t see myself cruising until there’s a vaccine. I’m totally depressed by this realization. Once that happens you can provide proof of vaccination. Anti-vaxers will hate that. After vaccinations are available cruising can go back to normal if cruise lines survive. I’ll take my chances with norovirus, flu, etc.  I hope there’s a vaccine soon. I know it will be 12 to 18 months even if fast tracked. 

Absolutely looking forward to a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2, but after that there will still be other threats (emerging pathogens) to come along. I don't see basing the future of cruising on the availability of one vaccine. I do hope this is a wake-up call for those who are in the anti-vaccine camp. A reminder of what the world looks like in the midst of a pandemic and why we need these vaccines and can't slack off.

Not sure why you'd "take your chances" with the flu, then. Too many people don't get the flu vaccine now. Will this eventually (years, or perhaps a decade, from now) become the mindset with the new SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, as well?

What does it take for the world to realize that the only success we've had in stamping out ANY infectious disease has been from the use of vaccines? BTW, that list of successes amounts to exactly one. Smallpox is the only eradicated infectious disease, still. Polio is close.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

A day or so ago, before the CDC announced the ban on cruising until July 15th, Carnival announced that the first ships to commence sailing would have a reduced passenger capacity so I think that’s likely at first. 

I’d like to see hand washing stations at each entrance to the buffet. I personally hate the HAL buffet where you have to wait in a line for someone to serve you... it takes a lot longer and often, the first food gets cold while you’re getting the rest. Not sure how to compromise on that. 

I can see everyone’s temperature being taken at embarkation. Perhaps random testing during the cruise. 

I’m allergic to hand sanitizer and most wipes (I can use Clorox wipes) so I can’t use them (I’ve been chased by passengers in the buffet and berated/screamed at for ruining their cruise for not using the sanitizer) plus they are marginally effective. They do little for Norovirus or COVID-19. 

It’s a fine line between treating passengers like children and expecting them to be adults and responsible. 

Pretty sure there’ll be a lot more cabin and public space cleaning. I can also see staff in the buffet required to wear masks and gloves when near food. I think you’ll see more passengers wearing gloves in the buffet. Maybe require passengers to wear gloves there. 

Hi Pam 

Actually, while standard disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer are not very effective against Norovirus, CoVid (as well as other pathogens) are sensitive to both these products when used properly.  Although, that won't help you if you have an allergy to these products.  Hand washing, as you know, is the gold standard, though.  

And gloves get cross contamination just as easily as your hands do so, I really don't see that becoming a requirement.  You'd have to change them each and every time you touched a surface.  I could see putting clorox wipes dispensers on each table in the buffet, though.  I know I always take my own disinfectant wipes and travel sized lysol for my cabin and always have a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me at all times ... even at home.  Working with infection control in a hospital for a number of years trained me well.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

Alright I can foresee a few changes and I will list them.

1.) Rapid corona virus tests like the diabetes fingerprick test being done prior to boarding.

2.) Temperature checks prior to boarding.

3.) Immunisation and Vaccination being declared at time of booking with records being kept on file with the cruise line.

4.) A requirement for full immunisation and vaccination including the seasonal influenza vaccine before boarding.

5.) The ability to cancel a cruise and receive a full refund if diagnosed with a infectious illness anytime prior to boarding with Doctors certificate and test results required to get the refund to prevent abuse.

6.) Removal of all upper berths from cabins with suite being the only cabin to accommodate families or groups.

7.) A reduction in the passenger capacity and maybe some cabins removed or set aside for quarantine or emergency use.

8.) A Doctors report declaring fit to travel for any people with pre-existing medical conditions.

I agree with most of these measures, especially 2, 3, 4, and 5. If someone knows they are sick with an infectious disease they shouldn't get on the ship, and it would help to know your cruise fare will be refunded, at the very least.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, portiemom said:

I agree with most of these measures, especially 2, 3, 4, and 5. If someone knows they are sick with an infectious disease they shouldn't get on the ship, and it would help to know your cruise fare will be refunded, at the very least.

I had a friend on the ill fated Grand Princess.  She was worried about going but was told she could only get an FCC in the amount of 75% back if she canceled on her short notice .. so she took her chances and went anyway.  If I had been that worried, I'd have scrapped it and gone for that deal.  Anyway, she never did get sick and neither did anyone from her group of friends.  But, Princess did refund everything and gave them each a 100% cruise credit as well as a 2 week, all expense stay at Travis Air Force Base (except for one of them that developed a cough ... was taken off by ambulance, tested and sent home right after that!).  Ok, that was backwards thinking.  The only one with symptoms got to go home and the asymptomatic ones that were all negative were quarantined for another two weeks.  

Anyway, she would have never gotten on the ship if a full refund was in store.  It's no way to run a business but, they ended up paying a lot more when all was said and done.  

9 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

Alright I can foresee a few changes and I will list them.

8.) A Doctors report declaring fit to travel for any people with pre- existing medical conditions.

That will be a whole "boatload of people"!  🤣

When I was born, many decades ago, I had what is now called a pre- existing condition.

Most people have them...

Seriously, lots of screenings and certificates may be down the road in our futures.

Ok, just as long as it is applies to everyone, not just people over a certain age. I know many

who are under age 65 or 70 and have the same maladies/ issues, pre- existing conditions as

those who are older.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I would think that Princess would want to go with its newer ships....much more modern, efficient and spacious.  To me it would provide them with much more flexibility for different passenger loads for different length cruises then a smaller ship that would probably need to be full to make a profit and provide for much less opportunities for social distancing then a 1/2 full Royal Class ship would....

I also think they will use the newer ships, with fewer passengers.  This could be a really nice cruise experience, with no lines 🙂

• Like 1

I don't know the answer, so please let me know.

Do the cabin stewards use the same cleaning cloths for all rooms?  It seems to me like the cabin stewards might be a big problem too.  They are cleaning the bathroom with the same brushes, cloths.  Using the same spray bottles, vacuums, etc. Wearing the same clothing to make the bed after cleaning someone's bathroom.

I know it is a stretch, but I have always wondered if they are not transmitting illness to each cabin.  In the perfect world, it would be nice to see if there are areas of the ship where an illness will start.  Like 5 cabins from same room steward all are sick.

For instance, some one gets a cold.  The cabin steward empties their trash full of tissue, hopefully they are wearing gloves.  Then they go into the next room, clean the sink and empty the trash, using the same gloves???....are they not potentially passing on germs that way? 

Honestly I have thought of this before the virus, so it just makes me wonder more now than ever.   On the first day we usually tell the room steward that no need for turn down, don't worry about anything but towels.  I think the less interaction in our room the better.  We still tip, but we get about 1/3 of the service, which is fine with me. 

So, even if we are meticulous about washing hands, etc.  I agree with Hank, it's not just the buffet, so many other factors.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

independent shoreside cleaners for turnaround day … a crew of a couple hundred could come on at 8 or so for a 5 hour shift

200 x 5 = 1000 hours of cleaning in conjunction with what the crew is doing in the passenger cabins

off ship by 1 or so as to not delay passenger boarding … too much - better than losing a whole day - have to figure out that little security issue ...

I like this idea.  I also think maybe the cruise lines can alter the time they arrive back in port.  Instead of arriving at 5-6 am; they arrive a 3-4pm.  Get pax off and have cleaning crew come in overnight to clean entire ship.  Delta airlines in now fogging all their aircraft after the last flight of the night.  Same system could be used for ships.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Level six said:

I don't know the answer, so please let me know.

Do the cabin stewards use the same cleaning cloths for all rooms?  It seems to me like the cabin stewards might be a big problem too.  They are cleaning the bathroom with the same brushes, cloths.  Using the same spray bottles, vacuums, etc. Wearing the same clothing to make the bed after cleaning someone's bathroom.

I know it is a stretch, but I have always wondered if they are not transmitting illness to each cabin.  In the perfect world, it would be nice to see if there are areas of the ship where an illness will start.  Like 5 cabins from same room steward all are sick.

For instance, some one gets a cold.  The cabin steward empties their trash full of tissue, hopefully they are wearing gloves.  Then they go into the next room, clean the sink and empty the trash, using the same gloves???....are they not potentially passing on germs that way? 

Honestly I have thought of this before the virus, so it just makes me wonder more now than ever.   On the first day we usually tell the room steward that no need for turn down, don't worry about anything but towels.  I think the less interaction in our room the better.  We still tip, but we get about 1/3 of the service, which is fine with me. 

So, even if we are meticulous about washing hands, etc.  I agree with Hank, it's not just the buffet, so many other factors.   

Oh my goodness ... you make such great points.  I have thought about this for years.  I see them smoothing out my pillow ... and I put my face on that pillow.  That's actually my biggest concern.  And that pillow, has it been sanitized between passengers?  

I can see a requirement that they cannot use the same rags to clean different rooms... not going forth, that is.  I also think there will be (or should be) a requirement to change gloves between cleaning different rooms.  The toilet brush is in the room so I know they don't share those between rooms but, they should have to douse it in a really powerful disinfectant between cruises. I never thought about the vacuuming but that could, too, be problematic.  We all know that vacuum cleaners sometimes just push the dirt around ... and you are picking that up from the hallway carpets, other passenger rooms, etc.  But, now I am just being a hypochondriac because I've worn shoes through the ship and in port and never thought twice about what's on the carpet.  Still, the pillow is my biggest concern.  

I always take a small travel size Lysol spray or two of Lysol and Clorox Wipes as well as hand sanitizer for my room.  From now on, it will be a big can of Lysol.  And, like you, I always tell our steward that we aren't very demanding and we will just let him know if we need TP and towels in the evening ... so, it cuts their time in our room but also half their work.  

Of note, we were in a casino hotel in Vegas and the housekeeper had seen me spray my room down with Lysol.  She said, 'I already clean with a disinfectant for you and use a different towel for each room'.  That was actually quite comforting.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I can’t wait to hear:  Excuse me. Could you please change your clothing prior to cleaning my stateroom?  Ma’am, do I need to change my underwear too? 

I am just bringing up points to think about.  I notice you never do, instead just say stuff like that..........oh well.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I had a friend on the ill fated Grand Princess.  She was worried about going but was told she could only get an FCC in the amount of 75% back if she canceled on her short notice .. so she took her chances and went anyway.  If I had been that worried, I'd have scrapped it and gone for that deal.  Anyway, she never did get sick and neither did anyone from her group of friends.  But, Princess did refund everything and gave them each a 100% cruise credit as well as a 2 week, all expense stay at Travis Air Force Base (except for one of them that developed a cough ... was taken off by ambulance, tested and sent home right after that!).  Ok, that was backwards thinking.  The only one with symptoms got to go home and the asymptomatic ones that were all negative were quarantined for another two weeks.  

Anyway, she would have never gotten on the ship if a full refund was in store.  It's no way to run a business but, they ended up paying a lot more when all was said and done.  

There was quite a lot backwards thinking on that voyage, I too was aboard and likewise got my two week holiday at Travis.  Most notable in my mind was the fact that we bobbed around 20 miles outside the GG bridge for 4+ days before anyone got off the ship.  We weren't removed to Travis for an additional two days.  This was stupid thinking, for the record beyond Princess control, that risked spreading the virus as happened on Diamond.  800+ passengers lived within 75 miles of the pier and could have been at home in self quarantine nearly a week earlier.  There can be no doubt that some contracted the virus during the lengthly delay making up a plan (again, not attributable to Princess).  Most outrageously, our care team at Travis had been dispatched from New York and Connecticut (my greatest thanks to CT1).  However, I have nightmares imagining how many lives these doctors and nurses might have saved at home rather than wandering around Travis 2x each day taking our temperatures, distributing our meals and the like.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  

Back on topic though, to be honest, I expect less changes than many who have posted.  Social distancing is clearly a good idea, but the ships are designed for anything but this.  Frankly, what I expect is not much cruising at all until a vaccine is developed for this particular virus and thereafter a gradual return to what we've thought of as 'normal' until the next time (and there WILL be a next time).  Sure, I expect buffets will be staffed . . . for a while, but as the memory fades and the passengers complain they couldn't get the 8 slices of ham they wanted, the company will fold and gradually allow self service.  Other measures will surely follow a similar path.  Hope I'm wrong but I think I'll be proven right soon enough.

Even after our Grand experience we are looking forward to our booked cruises.  I personally do think something needs to change in the cancellation policy.  Hopefully the bean counters have kept track of the aggregate costs of all of these evacuations and will weigh this against the cost of allowing a small number of day of sailing cancellation refunds?  Perhaps such refunds could be cash if a passengers provided substantiation from a doctor and as FCC if no doctor is involved to keep folks honest? 

Another idea I don't think anyone has mentioned is transparency of the ships history of illnesses.  Perhaps passengers waiting to board should be provided with some simple statistics such as:  % of crew who sought medical attention for each of the past say 3 voyages.  Imagine the actions that might be spurred if Princess knew they had to plot this on a graph - they might take definitive actions faster.  That would be a genuine change for the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nervous tension, man's invention 
It's the biggest killer that's around today 
Let the tension out or it will build and build inside 
And strike you down some day... The Kinks

While not the biggest killer, it certainly adds to people’s issues. Relax and try not to worry about things you can’t control. 

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Oh my goodness ... you make such great points.  I have thought about this for years.  I see them smoothing out my pillow ... and I put my face on that pillow.  That's actually my biggest concern.  And that pillow, has it been sanitized between passengers?  

I can see a requirement that they cannot use the same rags to clean different rooms... not going forth, that is.  I also think there will be (or should be) a requirement to change gloves between cleaning different rooms.  The toilet brush is in the room so I know they don't share those between rooms but, they should have to douse it in a really powerful disinfectant between cruises. I never thought about the vacuuming but that could, too, be problematic.  We all know that vacuum cleaners sometimes just push the dirt around ... and you are picking that up from the hallway carpets, other passenger rooms, etc.  But, now I am just being a hypochondriac because I've worn shoes through the ship and in port and never thought twice about what's on the carpet.  Still, the pillow is my biggest concern.  

I always take a small travel size Lysol spray or two of Lysol and Clorox Wipes as well as hand sanitizer for my room.  From now on, it will be a big can of Lysol.  And, like you, I always tell our steward that we aren't very demanding and we will just let him know if we need TP and towels in the evening ... so, it cuts their time in our room but also half their work.  

Of note, we were in a casino hotel in Vegas and the housekeeper had seen me spray my room down with Lysol.  She said, 'I already clean with a disinfectant for you and use a different towel for each room'.  That was actually quite comforting.  

Does the casino wash the chips between every hand of cards?  Do they change the pack of cards at each shuffle?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can see a requirement that they cannot use the same rags to clean different rooms... not going forth, that is.  I also think there will be (or should be) a requirement to change gloves between cleaning different rooms.  The toilet brush is in the room so I know they don't share those between rooms but, they should have to douse it in a really powerful disinfectant between cruises.

I have never taken the pillow case off the pillows on board? Has anyone. Are they like the good quality hospital pillows with a surface that can be wiped down?

The disinfectant they use on board is designed to kill bacteria and viruses. Can't remember the active ingredient off hand. There is only so much they can do if passengers board while asymptomatic or hide signs of sickness when boarding.

I would hope that once quick tests are available people will be required to be tested before boarding is permitted.

When an immunization is available, prove of immunization would be required with absolutely no excuses allowed for not having one.

Funding for researching into prevention of noro and roto should be increased with the intention to find vaccines.

• Like 1

I'd be curious if there might be changes in the kids' programs ... Larger play areas?  Fewer kids permitted at any one time?  Shorter program hours to permit frequent cleaning?  Abolish it totally?