Now for something completely different

Well it's Christmas Eve here on the wet coast of the land of the Maple Leaf. But for my friends in Australia and New Zealand it is the day. Merry Christmas everyone and best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year. For all with adventures planned we hope you are able to go, for those planning new experiences either home or abroad best of luck for open borders and little red tape.

Be well and safe, Lyle & Lynn

• Like 9

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

Thanks Lyle, just having Xmas breakfast before the family arrive for lunch.

Have a great Christmas!

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

Thanks Lyle, just having Xmas breakfast before the family arrive for lunch.

Have a great Christmas!

Just had my big brekkie at hotel urban, off to my sons again for a relly bash soon. I am still recovering from yesterdays bbq🍷🥩

20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg

• Like 2

That's looking close to the B52 breakfast there uncle Les. We hope that you are having a great time with family.

Sounds like everyone is celebrating in their own ways.

I'll send out some photos tomorrow, we've pretty much shelved "traditional" Christmas celebrations. With my Mom and Dad both passed away there is no family connection on my side and Lynn's mom is the only connection close on her side. Maybe we are starting our own traditions with Prime rib for dinner. 

• Like 3

Yep, very different Lyle. I had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch then went windsurfing. Had a good time on my new board with a stiff nor'easter of about 15kts.

Now I'm back home and just had a berry scone and a coffee (from my Aldi coffee machine of course). I had an invite to my BF's son's family dinner but gave it a miss as there were going to be a few anti vax, COVID denyers there so not taking that risk - about 20+ people in one house, no thanks. I'm going to miss the pavlova that I know will be served.

• Like 1

We had Christmas lunch at daughter and son in law's - 12 of us there. Ate outside under pergola and when inside made sure doors and windows were open to circulate the air - all, except three younger children, at least double vaxxed.  We are not long home after a wonderful day with family. 

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to all! 

I'm pretty sure my family had our quietest Christmas day ever today! I joined three close friends for bacon, egg and bubbly breakfast this morning, followed by lunch with the folks, wonderfully catered for by my brother and sister-in-law. We ate prawns, re-baked ham, pork belly, turkey and various salads, truly, my only complaint was that I only had an hour or so after lunch to enjoy the food coma before I had to get ready and head to work!

Traditionally, we are supplied with a meal if we are rostered on for Christmas day, it's nearly 9pm here and I have just had my chicken and salad and am about to enjoy a nice piece of pavlova! Only 3 and a half hours to go and hopefully a nice boxing day sleep in!

• Like 2

Glad to hear most have had a great Christmas, celebrating as best you could with the current situation.

Of course the weather in your part of the world is definitely more conducive to outdoor get togethers.

We are having a low key day, Lynn's mom is over for the day (she is 89) so we did a little buffet for brunch. Cold meats, cheese, warm croissants, pickles etc. There was also a goody tray we put together with assorted pastries. I did some nice devilled eggs with smoked salmon on top.

I took pictures but the focus is poor1276119639_deviledeggs.thumb.jpg.5bdb965dba8eeb43d74f8aaf3b18c4bf.jpg139776188_meattraya.thumb.jpg.6ca983f3c5fc477af6484651c7b0072b.jpg

• Like 8

So we just finished dinner, I'm going to just relax on the lounge for about half an hour before we drive Lynn's mom home (lovingly referred to as Granny by me)

Here were the wine selections for dinner. The red cost $50.00 when I bought it in 2005, it paired nicely with the prime rib. Lynn doesn't do red so she and granny enjoyed her favourite German Reisling.wine.thumb.jpg.a568a4db6b5a684460c3ff2e666c779b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The photos don't do that roast justice. It looks more medium well done but it was a perfect medium, pink all across. I let it rest for more than half an hour while the oven heated to temperature for the Yorkshire pudding and they baked.

So, you do the cooking Lyle? Or just Christmas?

Truly appreciate how much more our male partners are now cooking  👏

A photo of our family Christmas lunch yesterday - this was followed by trifle & pavlova.

Cheers, Rose

8B77E92D-F83A-4B66-984B-B59CECB157EA.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

@Porky55 Yes I do all the cooking. I enjoy cooking a fancy meal. I also like preparing presentation trays of cold cuts and cheeses etc. We used to do a large open house on Boxing Day but we got snowed out 3 years in a row and we just didn't bother after that.

That is a fine looking spread you did. I recognize the prawns but I'm not sure of the other crustaceans on that platter. 

Edited by Blackduck59

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is a fine looking spread you did. I recognize the prawns but I'm not sure of the other crustaceans on that platter. 

That’s wonderful Lyle - great to hear you enjoy cooking so much, my DH a does a bit, but he’s more of a breakfast cook.

You got it right - the prawns are Tiger King Prawns and the crustacean is a Moreton Bay Bug - or bugs! Delicious, tender, lobster like meat.

17B9CAF4-403C-4985-A604-C891319A40F0.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Thanks 1