Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The guest speaker will be a man we've used several times before from a company that imports and distributes international wines into NZ.  He is a good speaker and very knowledgeable.  He will talk about the wine regions in Australia and talk of the particular wines we choose and the winemakers.  We have regulars who come every time, learn a little about wine, have a taste and order their own to be delivered (if they wish).  In the past, we've focussed on particular winemakers or regions.  We've done a virtual Mediterranean cruise, Marlborough road trip, Hispanic wines, a few particular old wineries...

It sounds wonderful. I'd be interested in hearing your food and wine pairings once you have them finalised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It sounds wonderful. I'd be interested in hearing your food and wine pairings once you have them finalised.

I'll send you pics.  We are having some supply issues with Aussie wines due to...well we all know what it's due to, so the choices will be a little more narrow as we need to make sure the customers can order some too if they want to.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Here's something to cheer you up.  Our restaurant has reopened after a Christmas break and we are planning our first Wine Night of the year.  We have a theme, guest speaker, food & wine pairings and an opportunity to purchase the showcased wines at the end of the night.  I've decided that February's theme will be 'Straya" so we will be looking at some Australian wines.  I'll let you know how the planning progresses.

th.jpg.8d3d7d7a48cc2aeed3de5cd8a7c512d3.jpgdownload.jpg.9f43905cd20005729c5f24a46fa79627.jpgGood luck with the wine night, couple of Griffith specials for you mob to quaff or is it sniff and sip?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

No love for the duece bag

My grandson is a ballkid again this year and said that if Djokovic won his appeal that he would wear his mask for the whole match if he happened to get one of Djokovic matches.😷

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My grandson is a ballkid again this year and said that if Djokovic won his appeal that he would wear his mask for the whole match if he happened to get one of Djokovic matches.😷

Your grandson is a very smart kid!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Docker123 said:

There are plenty of memes doing the rounds. just a couple. 

262EEDC8-3C25-4705-BAAB-AA487BAD248F.thumb.png.97202901a96a2c055bc295196945e34c.png

8CE7C528-3838-413D-96EE-F76F3142463E.thumb.png.146bc897347485fd6e81565121150084.png

Did you see the real photo of Novak's departure at the airport?  He was about to fly overseas and he wasn't carrying anything.  The two guys next to him had hand luggage, so maybe they were travelling with him. 

Following the Novak saga, I'm reminded of my first overseas travels.  On a long bus trip of Europe, one of the girls had her passport stolen, so she had to be left behind in Greece.  Auths weren't sympathetic to young people who had their passport stolen, because many sold them.  She eventually caught a train alone to Yugoslavia to rejoin the bus.  Walking to the camp ground on her own, someone stole her hand luggage.  The Auths. would not sign paperwork for her insurance claim making her say she lost her luggage on the train.  Later on, we were all given a set amount of money to buy lunch.  We discovered the price got more expensive the further down the queue you were.  So I'm not surprised Novak is loose with the truth!

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you see the real photo of Novak's departure at the airport?  He was about to fly overseas and he wasn't carrying anything.  The two guys next to him had hand luggage, so maybe they were travelling with him. 

Coach and Manager, no doubt all travelling first or business on Emirates to Dubai. Luggage probably already checked in.  Bye bye. What a mess that was, too many appeals, should have been shot out the day he arrived.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad to see that someone grew a pair. It would have been SERIOUSLY bad optics to let an anti-vaxxer in to play in an event where all the "paying guests" had to be vaccinated and the staff as well as other players have to be vaccinated. And do we even have to get into the hoops that Australians have to jump through on an every day basis.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm glad to see that someone grew a pair. It would have been SERIOUSLY bad optics to let an anti-vaxxer in to play in an event where all the "paying guests" had to be vaccinated and the staff as well as other players have to be vaccinated. And do we even have to get into the hoops that Australians have to jump through on an every day basis.

All the ballkids had to be double vaccinated before even attending the last training session and have to do a rapid antigen test before leaving home to go to Melbourne Park for their shift.

47 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

While I agree with the decision, I still cannot  fathom how he was allowed into the country to start with.

Possibly allowed in to cause the distraction from other stuff ups.

The visa was cancelled by ABF upon entry as the visa was ruled invalid by the officials ‘on the ground’ as the supporting information was not adequate. He appealed this and the cancellation was overturned due to the process being ruled invalid/unfair by the judge.
The visa was subsequently canceled again as the person had still not met the requirements. This decision was then supported by the court & he was refused entry, just as he was originally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

While I agree with the decision, I still cannot  fathom how he was allowed into the country to start with.

Possibly allowed in to cause the distraction from other stuff ups.

I wonder if the Australian Tennis Association running the tennis carnival had contacts in the government? Thus the visa granted initially.  Then it all turned into a nightmare like Ruby Princess, the agencies blaming each other. At least the 3 judges on Sunday got it right, upholding the Minister's decision to deport the joker.

Edited by NSWP

42 minutes ago, mr walker said:

The visa was cancelled by ABF upon entry as the visa was ruled invalid by the officials ‘on the ground’ as the supporting information was not adequate. He appealed this and the cancellation was overturned due to the process being ruled invalid/unfair by the judge.
The visa was subsequently canceled again as the person had still not met the requirements. This decision was then supported by the court & he was refused entry, just as he was originally.

So ABF at Dubai airport didn't  do their job properly

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

So ABF at Dubai airport didn't  do their job properly

I doubt that we have Australian Border Force officials at overseas airports.

Mr D applied for a visa, but his application form contained at least one incorrect statement (no travelling to a third destination in the 14 days prior). He and his staff could easily check the Aust requirements re vaccination. The government website does not state that prior infection with COVID gave the person a pass on vaccination.

I feel it comes back to Mr D himself who thought he could get around the rules and Tennis Aust officials who must not have taken note of the letter from the Health Minister (Mr Hunt) in Nov, advising them that prior infection with COVID did not take the place of vaccination.

In my experience, the checking of travels docs, including a valid visa  for entry at the destination country at the departure airport, is done by airline staff. In this case I guess it would have been a visa exemption document that was required, either in Dubai, or perhaps in Spain if it was just a thru-Dubai connection. Again in my experience the airline staff are very tough on this, as apparently if entry is refused the airline are responsible to return the traveler. That said, tough maybe not mean accurate as I have had 2 colleagues deported on arrival on business trips, once from Romania (no visa)& once from India (invalid single entry visa on a second visit), neither flights from Australia. I had a battle to get a boarding pass in Sydney once for a trip to Vietnam, as the list the agent had said I needed an extra passport photo & they weren't going to let me go 🙂 

I imagine in the first class lounge at departure Mr Djokovic or minder would have said I have visa exemption for Australia and likely that was as good enough for the agent.