Now for something completely different

11 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Pub or local club lunches are very good around here. Haven't had bad one in years. Big selection of beers on tap. I like dark draught beer or Guiness if it's on tap. 

Some great options for a feed at a good price, at pubs and clubs, hadn’t been to 16 fters for years, (went last year for engagement party) was very impressed.

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Some great options for a feed at a good price, at pubs and clubs, hadn’t been to 16 fters for years, (went last year for engagement party) was very impressed.

16 Footers is very good and has a few l dining areas from which to choose. Belmont Yacht club is very good now after years of mediocrity and has had a refurbishment. Is now very popular. Pelican razzle is recommended and The Orana at Blacksmiths is excellent - does very nice steaks. Add The Gunyah, Belmont, pub to that list too.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah we are spoilt for options all round the lake and up the valley, last time I had bern to 16s it was weatherboard.

That would be early to mid 70s? I was working in CBA Belmont from 71 to 79 and it was during that time we loaned the 16's funds for the big rebuild and extension.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

That would be early to mid 70s? I was working in CBA Belmont from 71 to 79 and it was during that time we loaned the 16's funds for the big rebuild and extension.

The Belmont 16 footers was a decent and modern club when I visited there, probably around early 90's. Great views too.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Yeah I’d have guessed at Mid 70’s, probably before I was legal to drink. My daughter had her engagement there last year, they paid for the drinks everyone bought a feed from wherever they chose and we had a good night. (Actually Wangi RSL bought most of the drinks as she won the members draw the week before the party, arrived with about 1) seconds to spare and the whole club roared when the heard that is was dad’s grandaughter who had won the draw and it went on the bat for the engagement party)

• Like 1

Who would have thought 177 pages when you started this thread.  Thank you for your interesting input. 

How cold is it in Canada now?  I hear it is colder in the west than east in the USA.  I have fond memories of winters in Canada - from first sleigh rides in Banff, to bus trip on ice way from Banff to the north, no snow at the world's biggest log cabin booked for a white Christmas, rivers flowing which should have been iced over, staying at Canadian Pacific Hotels grandly decorated for Christmas.  I could go on, but you can guess I love Canada. 

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Who would have thought 177 pages when you started this thread.  Thank you for your interesting input. 

How cold is it in Canada now?  I hear it is colder in the west than east in the USA.  I have fond memories of winters in Canada - from first sleigh rides in Banff, to bus trip on ice way from Banff to the north, no snow at the world's biggest log cabin booked for a white Christmas, rivers flowing which should have been iced over, staying at Canadian Pacific Hotels grandly decorated for Christmas.  I could go on, but you can guess I love Canada. 

It rarely gets below -6 here on southern Vancouver Island, we did get a little dusting of snow the other day. It was gone when we got up for work. Mount Washington Ski resort is open and about a 3 hour drive north on the island. We have never been there in the winter although the scenery should be spectacular. Our nephew is living in Saskatchewan now and this is their first prairies winter, I think it is a bit of an awakening. 

I'm glad we keep this thread going, with no "topic" it just makes for a nice place to keep in touch.

Cheers, Lyle

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

Haven't posted in a while......

Have got older.......   we went away to Ararat... Dined Out at the RSL.... it was lovely

and did Tours of J-Ward and Aradale   which were very interesting.....

Still have the dangling carrot ( Nov 22 cruise to NZ )   it has been so long..... still not planing anything out of the state... particularity now with numbers sky rocketing   anyone would think it is a space race...

Have stocked for Xmas      been to Dan's and bought some rather nice prawns from Spencer Gulf ( caught.cooked. frozen at sea )  so 2kg now sitting in the freezer for Xmas and New Year and a case of sparkling beverage awaiting chilling..

My mum has been in hospital twice, and getting better

Hope everybody is well,...

So Cheers with a G&T   Don

Dreaming one day will go on a cruise.

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 7

One of Albatros Expeditions/Victory Cruises new ships, Ocean Victory. Check out the super dooper bow for stability and hitting the ice.  I believe this is the first of 3 sisters.

248376128_3154103201500701_6926849820615791333_n.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 6

Read the comments about Ararat we would stop there when driving to Victoria often had lunch at the RSL, had nice meals. Also visited the Chinese museum, so interesting and the old jail.

Loved the country towns and their bakeries in Victoria, beautiful areas in spring or autumn particularly. Castlemaine had a great produce market and a Saturday market. Not sure if Castlemaine rock is still made? Not seen any for years. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 2:15 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I'm glad we keep this thread going, with no "topic" it just makes for a nice place to keep in touch.

Lyle, 

Just a question about a term we came across, if I may?
We follow and participate in Drag Racing, and a strip in Florida has the “Snowbird Nationals” each year.
Now, I don’t think they see much snow in Florida do they? So - why would a track run Snowbird titles and what is the term Snowbird referring to?

Cheers, Rose

For reference:

https://www.snowbirdnationals.com/

Edited by Porky55

39 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Lyle, 

We follow and participate in Drag Racing, and a strip in Florida has the “Snowbird Nationals” each year.
Now, I don’t think they see much snow in Florida do they? So - why would a track run Snowbird titles and what is the term Snowbird referring to?

Cheers, Rose

For reference:

'Snowbirds' are people from the northern states of USA who flee the snow to spend the winter in Florida.

• Like 3

After looking at the link re snowbirds     

Carpet racing ???      sound like carpet bowls......  for when it is too cold outside....

But wait wait they are in Florida ..... tooo much sun ???     ahhhh the mid day sun.....

The snowbirds   might melt      like snow angels......

What happen to thunderbirds .........

Don with Coffee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

'Snowbirds' are people from the northern states of USA who flee the snow to spend the winter in Florida.

Florida is Retiresville aka 'God's Waiting Room.' Plus they are handy to a few cruise terminals.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Early on there was much comment re US vaccinations being taken up in Florida by people who live in the north, including Canada I believe, but were eligible due to owning property in Florida which they would occupy in summer months and/or rent out at other times. Disgruntled Floridians were compaining about snowbirds using up their, the Floridians, allocation of vaccine.

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Lyle, 

Cheers, Rose

For reference:

Well others have responded and are close to the mark. I think you will find that the term "Snowbirds" is most often used to refer to Canadians who flee the Canadian winter in places like Florida and Arizona. I think it really stuck after a Canadian singer, the great Anne Murray did the song "Snowbird" which was an instant hit. That song also led to the name of our world famous RCAF 431 Air Demonstration Squadron.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well others have responded and are close to the mark. I think you will find that the term "Snowbirds" is most often used to refer to Canadians who flee the Canadian winter in places like Florida and Arizona. I think it really stuck after a Canadian singer, the great Anne Murray did the song "Snowbird" which was an instant hit. That song also led to the name of our world famous RCAF 431 Air Demonstration Squadron.

I noticed a high presence of Canadians in Playa del Carmen - tourists and businesses. Are they called snowbirds there or do the Mexicans have a different name for them?

33 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I noticed a high presence of Canadians in Playa del Carmen - tourists and businesses. Are they called snowbirds there or do the Mexicans have a different name for them?

I think "Snowbirds" is a fairly universal term for those (usually Canadians) who flee the cold of the North to warmer climates, be it Florida, Arizona or Mexico.

Those who have moved away from Canada permanently are not Snowbirds, they are ex-pats. You have in the North and go south for the winter.

Edited by Blackduck59

59 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Currently, Canadians are the number one source of Snowbirds to Florida, but originally it was the retired New Yorker, going down to Florida after the holiday of Christmas or Hanukkah until springtime. I remember my aunts and mom packing a suitcase of Italian pasta and canned tomatoes because you could not get any good Italian products in West Palm Beach. And forget about a decent bagel and smear.  Finally a smart guy opened up "Two Guys from Brooklyn" a deli /salumeria and was loved by every Italian and Jewish snowbird!! Of course, that was back in the late 70's.  Eventually my Snowbird aunts and uncles and parents became Sunbirds.  

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 6

Thankyou everyone 👏

So in the context I was asking about - Snowbird Nationals at a drag strip in Orlando - it would be Northern States competitors attending a Southern State yearly event - worth “a lot” of money - $50k prize to each Class winner!! Wow 😳

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Currently, Canadians are the number one source of Snowbirds to Florida, but originally it was the retired New Yorker, going down to Florida after the holiday of Christmas or Hanukkah until springtime. I remember my aunts and mom packing a suitcase of Italian pasta and canned tomatoes because you could not get any good Italian products in West Palm Beach. And forget about a decent bagel and smear.  Finally a smart guy opened up "Two Guys from Brooklyn" a deli /salumeria and was loved by every Italian and Jewish snowbird!! Of course, that was back in the late 70's.  Eventually my Snowbird aunts and uncles and parents became Sunbirds.  

Lovely memories Brandee, thankyou 🤗

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, Porky55 said:

Thankyou everyone 👏

So in the context I was asking about - Snowbird Nationals at a drag strip in Orlando - it would be Northern States competitors attending a Southern State yearly event - worth “a lot” of money - $50k prize to each Class winner!! Wow 😳

I’m not so sure it is drag racing.  All I can find is remote control car racing, with a picture like this.

2CE23858-7D1B-4462-95FF-7452145DC784.png.4e79a704c993873b96a7ac05e4055aa3.png

• Haha 1