RCL announces cruises restarting mid Jun when the no sail order is in effect

I cannot imagine that the few people that are naive enough to think that the cruise lines are going to be sailing the end of June beginning of July are contributing a significant amount of money to Royal’s bank account.  It is about trying to deal with the  issuing of refunds and FCC’s in a controlled manner and not overwhelming their call centre. 

• Like 6

Final payment on our Alaska cruise is due next week. if they do not cancel cruise until 30 days out, make FCC offer or refund that takes another 90 days, free money to RCL for six plus months.

Last I heard RCL is holding 3 billion plus in funds for future curises.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not at all, we all know what they are doing and have known for a week now, you are a little late to the party

They're learning. Now they are lowering the drink pkgs, etc...😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So they don't plan on sailing until next year.  And then things get much better, and they can sail this summer.  But no one is booked, as there were no cruises to book.

Yep, that is a way to stay in business.

They have to have a plan, that can support an early end, or can be modified if it keeps going on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jam0610 said:

Final payment on our Alaska cruise is due next week. if they do not cancel cruise until 30 days out, make FCC offer or refund that takes another 90 days, free money to RCL for six plus months.

Last I heard RCL is holding 3 billion plus in funds for future curises.

I would love to see something confirming that $3,000,000,000 number

CDC says you can sail in June.   RCCL is a  business, and they are planning a start up process in June because that is the info they have.   Like all business, they follow the various orders and are hoping all will be well.  There is no conspiracy to take your money. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I look at it like this....cancelling 30 days at a time makes sense financially..IMHO.   Just like us making payments monthly on utilities, mortgages, car, charge cards...etc.  

Easier to take on a month to month basis.  

BTW...the link is from a cruise news website...not fact...just assumed start date.  Statement taken from the article:

A look at the expected first sailing of each Royal Caribbean ship as the cruise industry gets back into service (all information is subject to change due to the COVID-19 crisis):

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, datolim said:

I may be missing something but I see this article as speculation with no actual statement from Royal.  Maybe wishful thinking, maybe sensationalism or possibly false.  It could just be someone looking at the cruise schedule in place before the shutdown and just publishing the cruising old schedule starting the day after Royals announced no sail dates.  Can't see anything with this story to get excited or hopeful about.  Wouldn't  it be great if it could be this simple!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I may be missing something but I see this article as speculation with no actual statement from Royal. 

This - I mentioned this in a few other threads - it was a slow news day and the folks at the web site probably had some bored intern look up RCI's schedule and post it as to which ships and when RCI will resume sailing, nothing there is from RCI. They did the same for another cruise line a couple of days earlier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

This - I mentioned this in a few other threads - it was a slow news day and the folks at the web site probably had some bored intern look up RCI's schedule and post it as to which ships and when RCI will resume sailing, nothing there is from RCI. They did the same for another cruise line a couple of days earlier.

Hey Pal, Can l ask what news is there about Host Bob. No more here in this boards.

45 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I may be missing something but I see this article as speculation with no actual statement from Royal.  Maybe wishful thinking, maybe sensationalism or possibly false.  It could just be someone looking at the cruise schedule in place before the shutdown and just publishing the cruising old schedule starting the day after Royals announced no sail dates.  Can't see anything with this story to get excited or hopeful about.  Wouldn't  it be great if it could be this simple!

It's a site that needs clicks to make money, so why not put something out that sounds good, isn't absolutely false and gets clicks.     But when folks use a critical eye as you have and point out it isn't an official RCCL statement it becomes clear it's someone interpreting where they are with cancellations.   As many have said and makes good sense cancelled cruises are coming in blocks to make it manageable for the company, both in terms of time to process, and of course cash-flow.    If everyone would take a critical eye to all news, and a lot of health related studies (not CV19 related specifically) we would all be better off.  

58 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

CDC says you can sail in June.   RCCL is a  business, and they are planning a start up process in June because that is the info they have.   Like all business, they follow the various orders and are hoping all will be well.  There is no conspiracy to take your money. 

I've not seen anywhere where CDC has given a green light to sail in June. In fact their most recent update would hold cruises from US ports until late July.   More likely with exteded border closings around the world, even late July may be a bit early for when we really see sailings again. 

Just now, Rancher Dave said:

It's a site that needs clicks to make money, so why not put something out that sounds good, isn't absolutely false and gets clicks.     But when folks use a critical eye as you have and point out it isn't an official RCCL statement it becomes clear it's someone interpreting where they are with cancellations.   As many have said and makes good sense cancelled cruises are coming in blocks to make it manageable for the company, both in terms of time to process, and of course cash-flow.    If everyone would take a critical eye to all news, and a lot of health related studies (not CV19 related specifically) we would all be better off.  

I've not seen anywhere where CDC has given a green light to sail in June. In fact their most recent update would hold cruises from US ports until late July.   More likely with exteded border closings around the world, even late July may be a bit early for when we really see sailings again. 

You could sail provided certain conditions were met.  The no sail order was not absolute.  That being said I doubt that any cruise line would meet the conditions. 

• Like 2

The CDC is in charge. They will give the go ahead. However they will still have a requirement of social distancing which could last into next year and beyond. If that were to be the case there is not one cruise line or ship that could ever be in compliance. The world may be functioning but the cruise industry won't. 

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Where did you get that idea?  The CDC no sail order, as it is currently constructed runs through July 24

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Pretty much every day is a slow news day, cruise industry wise.

Even the Cruise Critic newsletter email i get every few days tend to be sparse.  I it ain't Covid-19 related, it ain't news.

It's an enthusiastic piece written at a time of great doubt and the odds being against it considering the EU's mindset of just halting all travel from outsiders into the EU and posts like this:

https://www.ptamsterdam.com/cruises-cancelled-departing-from-amsterdam/

The port authorities have a larger say so than the cruise industry itself.

Edited by johnjen

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Pretty much every day is a slow news day, cruise industry wise.

The cruise online news outlets do have articles whenever a cruise lines extends their cancellations, but that is typically at least a day after it has already been beaten to death here on CC.

• Like 1