9 ways cruising will be different when it starts up again

chipmaster

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What to do about urinals .You cannot stand 6 feet away from somebody.

Well, I can Lenny, but then, like the guy said in the movie,  I've always practiced distance over accuracy.  😄😄😄

(Oh boy, I think I'm crossing that line. )  

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

Something that nobody has posted,I believe. What to do about urinals .You cannot stand 6 feet away from somebody.You cannot set a limit on who can enter.

Just use the stall, but wait isn't there that study about stool, OMG, maybe cruising is indeed finished, LOL

• Like 1

I cannot use a stall. However,I am not talking about myself but rather for everyone needing a bathroom. I have not used a public bathroom in quite some time.

There are now non-gender-specific restrooms (what's the name for that???). Everyone has a stall. There are no urinals. Raise the seat like you do at home.

9 hours ago, clo said:

There are now non-gender-specific restrooms (what's the name for that???). Everyone has a stall. There are no urinals. Raise the seat like you do at home.

I think most cruise passengers would rather raise a glass.

And I think the term you are looking for might be unisex.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And I think the term you are looking for might be unisex.

Senior moment 🙂

But really, what's the problem with that. I've never seen a urinal in a private home.

14 hours ago, clo said:

This was not meant to be a subject about myself.I erred in letting it drift that way.

Edited by lenquixote66

CruisemoM42....I am not disputing your statement that folks over 70 are twice as likely to die from covid 19 than the next younger age group. But I believe that is because so many older people also have other medical conditions. Death data was examined in China and found that the majority of the population who died were older men, not women. A suggested explanation was that in China most men, but rarely women, smoked. So once again, mortality rates and comorbid conditions seem to correlate. Unless you are willing to require everyone to certify they are in good health, I feel discrimination based on age alone is unfair.

48 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

A suggested explanation was that in China most men, but rarely women, smoked. So once again, mortality rates and comorbid conditions seem to correlate. Unless you are willing to require everyone to certify they are in good health, I feel discrimination based on age alone is unfair.

Of course this runs directly counter to findings in Europe that smoking may actually protect people from serious COVID 19 results - to the extent of trying  nicotine patches on non-smoking patients.

31 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course this runs directly counter to findings in Europe that smoking may actually protect people from serious COVID 19 results - to the extent of trying  nicotine patches on non-smoking patients.

Just to clarify studies suggest smokers seem to be under represented in those who contract the SARS-CoV-2 but smokers who develop COVID19 have more severe symptoms. 

But I suppose if you were going to ban people who were more susceptible to infection then all diabetics and those with heart conditions would be out however can a cruise line really demand your health records? I wonder how you could police this 🤔

Edited by ilikeanswers

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Just to clarify studies suggest smokers seem to be under represented in those who contract the SARS-CoV-2 but smokers who develop COVID19 have more severe symptoms. 

But I suppose if you were going to ban people who were more susceptible to infection then all diabetics and those with heart conditions would be out however can a cruise line really demand your health records? I wonder how you could police this 🤔

I really believe that somehow/someway that country governments are going to need to pass laws. I have no idea how to do that.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I really believe that somehow/someway that country governments are going to need to pass laws. I have no idea how to do that.

Even with government legislation I can't see companies getting into people's medical records. Getting a doctor to sign a form is not exactly fool proof not to mention for a cruise company they would have to be dealing with medical forms from around the world and every country the medical system is different and what they consider fit or unfit will be different. I think trying to judge people on their susceptibility to COVID19 is just too difficult. 

I wish the best of luck to the cruise companies to figure this all out. All they have to do is make everyone happy, eliminate risk of infections, while not disturbing anyone's vacation. If they violate any of those, they are the worst company ever, and the customer deserves a refund or more.

40 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I wish the best of luck to the cruise companies to figure this all out. All they have to do is make everyone happy, eliminate risk of infections, while not disturbing anyone's vacation. If they violate any of those, they are the worst company ever, and the customer deserves a refund or more.

You forgot complying with whatever new bio security measures countries apply😂. Cruise lines have a real challenge ahead of them. 

I know that many Americans have travel insurance, but also that many don't.

One potential is that cruise lines will require all cruisers to have & show proof of travel insurance.

For many years now travel insurance (which includes accidents/illnesses) has been required by the cruise lines for anyone booking from the UK (mebbe also Europe & Aus) and that surely covers the bulk of the risk to cruise lines.

The risk to the insurer is greater for those of a certain age & for those with pre-existing conditions, and consequently their premiums are higher - often two/three-fold - and that precludes most of those at the greatest risk.

On some Brit ships the buffet is not self-serve for the first couple of days because frequently noro is innocently brought on-board during its incubation period - and it surprises me that's not the norm. on all cruise ships.

If COVID continues to be a significant risk I'd want to see the end of self-serve altogether because of COVID's fatality rate and potentially longer incubation period.

But for the other 8 suggestions - sorry, I see them as neither economic nor sensible for either cruise lines or cruisers

Just MHO as always

Stay safe & sane, folks

(I'm staying safe :classic_wacko:)

JB :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

One potential is that cruise lines will require all cruisers to have & show proof of travel insurance.

Right now most travel insurance will not cover anything that is COVID19 related. Unless something changes in the insurance industry I can't see that being much use to cruise lines

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Right now most travel insurance will not cover anything that is COVID19 related. Unless something changes in the insurance industry I can't see that being much use to cruise lines

Yes, I was thinking in the longer term, certainly not this year but when there's a vaccine and infections are in the low numbers

JB :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

It's one of the first things that must be dealt with, nobody is going any cruises or any type of hol abroad when none of the insurance companies are insuring you against covid 19 or any type of  future pandemic. So how do we all get round that one unless a vaccine is found  to be successful which at best will be in 2021?

On 4/23/2020 at 4:33 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Does the smoking protect or does the nicotine?  If it is the actual smoking and for some weird reason lungs damaged by smoke/tar/etc resist COVID19 better than without then I don't see how patches would make a difference.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Does the smoking protect or does the nicotine?  If it is the actual smoking and for some weird reason lungs damaged by smoke/tar/etc resist COVID19 better than without then I don't see how patches would make a difference.

I think that is is just the nicotine - explaining the experiment with patches.  It is difficult to see how  damaging your lungs with smoking could in any way help you survive what appears to be the fatal effect COVID seems to have on your lungs.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

It does not protect you from COVID19 but the statistics are showing that smokers are under represented in those who are infected with SARS-CoV-2 which is the virus that can become the disease we call COVID19. Smokers who do develop COVID19 are over represented in deaths. The theory is the nicotine might be creating a protective factor preventing you from catching the virus but the study is in its infancy so it could turn out there is a different reason for the statistical anomaly. I would not be purchasing nicotine patches just yet 😉

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, lynncarol said:

I have to take issue with Chipmaster's comments about age.  My husband and I are both in our midseventies, still very active (hiking an hour each day over hilly terrain) and on no medications.  Are you saying that we are more likely to present a health risk than an overweight, diabetic,  inactive 40 year old who is a heavy drinker?  Your argument that age alone should determine the cost of cruising is absurd.  

while I agree with this the problem is with reporting. Age has stuck out as a strong indicator of complications and the cruise lines will get your age through your documentation. It’s low hanging fruit for saying that they are ‘doing something’, a younger person would have to self report conditions that would make them at risk. And like the health questionnaires that I firmly believe many people lie on; if the choice is to admit to having a serious chronic and be sent home, many people will lie.