Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mrs.66 was an RN for 37 years.Although she retired she still has an active license and does a very good job of caring for me.

Mrs Ldubs is a lot younger than me.   A few years back we moved to a place without stairs in anticipation of my "growing older" years.   I am a very lucky person. 

• Like 1

Just now, ldubs said:

Mrs Ldubs is a lot younger than me.   A few years back we moved to a place without stairs in anticipation of my "growing older" years.   I am a very lucky person. 

Mrs.66 is 14 months younger than I am.I use a stair lift in my house.One of our daughters and family live less than 5 minutes from us and helps me greatly .She calls me every day to find out how a I am doing .One day when she called Mrs.66 was not home and I had a fall and was on the floor.She rushed over here to help me.

Due to having Parkinson’s I am prone to falling,36 falls to date.

Lately I have been falling backwards which is really scary .

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mrs.66 is 14 months younger than I am.I use a stair lift in my house.One of our daughters and family live less than 5 minutes from us and helps me greatly .She calls me every day to find out how a I am doing .One day when she called Mrs.66 was not home and I had a fall and was on the floor.She rushed over here to help me.

Mrs Ldubs is 10 years younger than me (but who is counting, right!  haha).   Marrying her was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.  Our children agree!  

Falling isn't good but I agree falling backwards is really scary.  I'm sure you use whatever you can to avoid that.      

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Mrs Ldubs is 10 years younger than me (but who is counting, right!  haha).   Marrying her was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.  Our children agree!  

Falling isn't good but I agree falling backwards is really scary.  I'm sure you use whatever you can to avoid that.      

June 27 will be the 55th.anniversary of my first date with Mrs.66.It was my plan to recreate the date by going to the restaurant that we went to after taking her (in 1965) to a sporting event in NYC.Although the restaurant is no longer in business ,it was a chain and there is one still open in a different part of the city.We would have gone with our family.However,this will have to be postponed .

All of my backward falls have been in my bedroom and I have fallen on my bed.

40 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We're  getting seriously off topic, but... we did the same. We built our retirement house so we could " age in place". All the guest rooms are in the finished basement. We've got grab bars in the shower and tub (thankfully don't need them yet), the doors are wide enough for a wheelchair, should the need arise, and the front entrance was built so it could be ramped if necessary. DH has a disability pension from his military service, so we are covered for housekeeping and yard work assistance  if/when needed. And fortunately in our area both nursing care and personal care assistance is easily accessed. We don't anticipate needing a nursing home for many years, if ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Falling is very bad when you are old. It is probably the number one cause of death among the elderly. My parents both perished due to falls and the breaks they caused. And they were only 101 (Dad) and 98 (Mom). Dad did survive a fall causing a broken hip at just short of 99, but I think that was because my Mother would not let him die.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Falling is very bad when you are old. It is probably the number one cause of death among the elderly. My parents both perished due to falls and the breaks they caused. And they were only 101 (Dad) and 98 (Mom). Dad did survive a fall causing a broken hip at just short of 99, but I think that was because my Mother would not let him die.

Consider an apple watch.  It will alert someone if you fall.  That feature works quite well.  My wife moved a decorative frog on our porch to an area that was dark.  I found the frog and learned just how well this feature works.  The watch asks if you've fallen and if you need assistance.  If you do not answer it can call 911 or any of your emergency contacts.  

It wasn't a bad fall but my knee was sore for a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mrs.66 has told me that if she happens to leave the planet before I do that I may have no choice and have to enter a facility.My mother passed away in 1979 and my father went into a facility and hated it.

My mother was afraid of moving to a 'nursing home'.  They spent a lot of money on home assistance.  When Mom passed, Dad moved into a 'nursing home' and loved it.  

Most of the residents are women and many of the men there have degenerative mental issues.   The home had assigned dining tables where they always tried to have at least one male who could carry on a conversation.  Dad was at a table with six women and one other man (who had issues).  I watched one day when two of the ladies got into an disagreement on which one would give my Dad her dessert.  Dad being a gentleman took both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, sullaRaffaello said:

How capital gains? I thought money came out of IRAs as ordinary income.

I think you are right -only cash is withdrawn, and is treated as ordinary income.  Of course if your choices were good, and because there was no tax bite while in the account, you could enjoy significant compounded growth.

1 hour ago, sullaRaffaello said:

How capital gains? I thought money came out of IRAs as ordinary income.

Sorry. I mis-wrote. Yes, ordinary income. And he came along too early for a ROTH.  

On 6/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, mom says said:

We're  getting seriously off topic, but... we did the same. We built our retirement house so we could " age in place". All the guest rooms are in the finished basement. We've got grab bars in the shower and tub (thankfully don't need them yet), the doors are wide enough for a wheelchair, should the need arise, and the front entrance was built so it could be ramped if necessary. DH has a disability pension from his military service, so we are covered for housekeeping and yard work assistance  if/when needed. And fortunately in our area both nursing care and personal care assistance is easily accessed. We don't anticipate needing a nursing home for many years, if ever.

I was 100% healthy as was Mrs.66 when we relocated from NYC and moved into a townhouse condo.We foolishly did not anticipate the possibility of becoming disabled.

Seven months after moving in I fell asleep while driving and nearly died.My disabilities began than year and new ones developed every year.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We foolishly did not anticipate the possibility of becoming disabled.

And we don't want to wait that long. The place we're looking at has literally scores of activities every month, on and off site, free or a charge, and transportation. We could take Uber to the airport or cruise terminal and travel as long as we can.

31 minutes ago, clo said:

And we don't want to wait that long. The place we're looking at has literally scores of activities every month, on and off site, free or a charge, and transportation. We could take Uber to the airport or cruise terminal and travel as long as we can.

That is your prerogative and that is fine for you and Bob but not for Mrs.66 and I.

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is your prerogative and that is fine for you and Bob but not for Mrs.66 and I.

Oh totally. We want to do it sooner cause we love Seattle and all that this place has to offer. But the day will likely come when most of us can no longer safely live at home unless we have really a whole, whole lot of money. Like WAY over $100k/yr and that's today not in the future.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh totally. We want to do it sooner cause we love Seattle and all that this place has to offer. But the day will likely come when most of us can no longer safely live at home unless we have really a whole, whole lot of money. Like WAY over $100k/yr and that's today not in the future.

We have opted to “age in place” - we are in a 22 house planned unti development - enjoying 21 neighbors, taking care of each other, the association does all outside maintenance and we have someone come in to clean every other week, if we need more assistance, there are agencies which provide in home care at the level needed - for a whole lot less than what assisted living facilities might cost.  If one of us double-crosses the other by checking out first, the survivor might have to re-think - but, for now: we just carpe every diem.

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

there are agencies which provide in home care at the level needed - for a whole lot less than what assisted living facilities might cost.

Even if it's 24/7 care? Like getting you in and out of bed, bathing, using the toilet. My late MIL had someone with her four hours a day, five days a week but that wasn't nearly adequate. Re the double-crossing, yeah. I've had him promise that I get to go first but.... You've done a great job of preparing in what sounds like a very unique place. I wish we could PM here; I'd love to know more about it.

2 hours ago, clo said:

We discovered Seattle in 1993 and a place called Starbucks .We have a cousin who relocated from NYC because Seattle was then a place where you could be open about your life in a way that you could not in NY.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Any chance that this thread could revert back to the original question, rather than two old couples talking about retirement homes?

This is a serious case of thread drift.

to the original question, I don’t know if I could do that but the longer things go on as they are the more likely I become to do it.

11 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

to the original question, I don’t know if I could do that but the longer things go on as they are the more likely I become to do it.

I could also. We're wearing masks so much that I don't even think about it much. We went to our post office today and probably half the people there didn't have on masks. I used my t-shirt sleeve to push open the door figuring if they cared so little.....

3 minutes ago, clo said:

I could also. We're wearing masks so much that I don't even think about it much. We went to our post office today and probably half the people there didn't have on masks. I used my t-shirt sleeve to push open the door figuring if they cared so little.....

For goodness sake, no one cares about going to the post office. Get back to the original question.