Early Mark?

10 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I thought the saying may have originated in those southern states that play that aerial ping pong game ..where  a player jumps in the air before everyone else and takes an “ early” mark. 😁

No, it seems to be a NSW and Qld ( perhaps the south east corner). But I think most of us from other states and territories were able to work out what the PM meant. 

On 5/4/2020 at 5:12 PM, joybook said:

Surely you've got to be kidding. Those of you that have not heard of 'early mark' before are you really Australians?

I'm from WA, have lived all 29 years of my life thus far here, and have never heard the term. Don't assume things and then get snarky because other members rightfully called you out for what you said - to imply that myself or others are "less Australian" somehow is absolutely ludicrous. We more than likely have sayings over here that you aren't familiar with, if you came across one would you appreciate a comment such as yours being aimed back at you?

It's the type of close-minded comment I would honestly expect from an American, not a fellow Australia.

Edited by ivanp91
  • Like 1

Well, I think that just about does it for me. I will now look forward to a bit of sanity in my life for the rest of my life. I know forums for what they are but I have now decided I do not need them. I will now delete CC from my favourites and in the classic words of the final episode of M*A*S*H - 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.'

I grew up in NSW and immediately knew what ScoMo meant re the early mark. Getting out of school a bit early for getting your work over and done with. Especially good on a Friday.  I did have a chuckle but do feel it could come across as slightly condescending. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joybook said:

Well, I think that just about does it for me. I will now look forward to a bit of sanity in my life for the rest of my life. I know forums for what they are but I have now decided I do not need them. I will now delete CC from my favourites and in the classic words of the final episode of M*A*S*H - 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.'

I think this poster should see a Doctor, they seem to get their nose out of joint very easily. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Have people heard of 'Poets Day'?

The PM's press conference was early today. I think he combined the Poet's Day & Early Mark concepts and plans on having a Poet's Day Early Mark this week 🙂

He again put International Travel in the 'not any time soon category'& no-one asked him about cruiseships!

8 minutes ago, mr walker said:

The PM's press conference was early today. I think he combined the Poet's Day & Early Mark concepts and plans on having a Poet's Day Early Mark this week 🙂

He again put International Travel in the 'not any time soon category'& no-one asked him about cruiseships!

Yeah, disappointing but interstate travel by step 3 is good, whenever that may be.

50 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Have people heard of 'Poets Day'?

Favourite day of the week when I worked for someone else, now most weekends need work done. Just not during beer bug (aka COVID19)

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is funny, but I've never heard it used. 

Funny isn’t it, seems to be a occupational term, never heard it till I started in a govt job, where it was the norm to knock off early on a Friday, my first job after school was in a bank where Friday was the late day, closed at 3:30 mon-thurs 5:00 on a Friday, then had to put in an our or two after closing to do all the processing stuff, so Friday’s were often a 7:00 or later knock off.

now, when I have work, I usually work late on a Friday so I can come in to a clean desk to start the new week.

41 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Funny isn’t it, seems to be a occupational term, never heard it till I started in a govt job, where it was the norm to knock off early on a Friday, my first job after school was in a bank where Friday was the late day, closed at 3:30 mon-thurs 5:00 on a Friday, then had to put in an our or two after closing to do all the processing stuff, so Friday’s were often a 7:00 or later knock off.

now, when I have work, I usually work late on a Friday so I can come in to a clean desk to start the new week.

I worked in a bank (1964-94) but have never heard it 'till now.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

no

As mentioned, originally it was P off early tomorrow's Sunday, for knocking off early on a Saturday as it was often a 2pm or even noon finish for many (retail, tradies, etc. Then when overtime and penalty rates started being much more consistent it went to Friday's and it became P off early tomorrow's Saturday.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah never heard it in the van, which Bank, I was with Cth.

Yep, that one. Started in Newcomen St before going down to The Entrance/Long Jetty/Toukley then back to Newcastle West and Swansea before nasho.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As mentioned, originally it was P off early tomorrow's Sunday, for knocking off early on a Saturday as it was often a 2pm or even noon finish for many (retail, tradies, etc. Then when overtime and penalty rates started being much more consistent it went to Friday's and it became P off early tomorrow's Saturday.

It was very common for Friday to be POET's day when I first started working - mid 70's. I thought everyone used it, and it certainly for me pre-dated TGIF, which I think was more of an American things.

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, that one. Started in Newcomen St before going down to The Entrance/Long Jetty/Toukley then back to Newcastle West and Swansea before nasho.

Wonder if we ever met, I was Toronto, Morrisset and a stint on relief.

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

It was very common for Friday to be POET's day when I first started working - mid 70's. I thought everyone used it, and it certainly for me pre-dated TGIF, which I think was more of an American things.

Yeah I first heard it before I ever heard of TGIF