Time for NCLH financial-related posts?

8 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Pappy... you seem to miss a lot also?

Yeah - this thread is so off topic that I don’t feel like I’m on CC.  

Sheila, did you receive an email from Regent this week?  We did and were assured that they aren’t going anywhere.  So, while some of these discussions are interesting, posters seem to forget that NCLH and Regent are run by CPA’s so I’m pretty sure that they know what they are doing.

Steve Q - you brought up some interesting points.  

52 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sheila, did you receive an email from Regent this week?  We did and were assured that they aren’t going anywhere.  So, while some of these discussions are interesting, posters seem to forget that NCLH and Regent are run by CPA’s so I’m pretty sure that they know what they are doing.

Interesting you got an email from Regent stating that, I didn't. Maybe because you currently have booked cruises?  Obviously such an assurance by them is pretty self serving so I wouldnt bet my house on that

• Like 1

I don't known whether Regent and NCLH are run by CPAs or not. But it is my OPINION that they will not sail until there is a widely available vaccine. That will apparently be early next year., And after that, there will still be vaccinated guests that will be hesitant to book a cruise. This thread (in my opinion) is really about whether Regent and NCLH can survive without bookings until sometime after a vaccine is readily available. And I don’t know the answer.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Interesting you got an email from Regent stating that, I didn't. Maybe because you currently have booked cruises?  Obviously such an assurance by them is pretty self serving so I wouldnt bet my house on that

It is not just having a currently booked cruise.  I have two of them and did not get the email.  But I have not sailed with Regent yet, which as has been pointed out to me numerous times, makes my opinions invalid.  Maybe only people with some (or MANY) previous cruises AND booked cruises got the email.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

It is not just having a currently booked cruise.  I have two of them and did not get the email.  But I have not sailed with Regent yet, which as has been pointed out to me numerous times, makes my opinions invalid.  Maybe only people with some (or MANY) previous cruises AND booked cruises got the email.

Or those who are cheerleaders! 😃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Interesting comment regarding CPAs running NCLH and Regent.   All public companies employ CPAs yet these companies still go bankrupt, out of business, etc. 

CPAs know how to take care of the books but are not necessarily good at making good business decisions. Don’t believe investors make decisions based on the employed CPAs and certainly all CPAs don’t know what they are doing or what that means. 

CPAs are like any other employees and make good and bad decisions and are the bean counters so often described on CC and other places as the ones who put profits above taking care of customers. 

So find it impossible to be confident in any company just because they employ CPAs (bean counters). 

• Like 4

Just as a point of curiosity/fact, I'm not actually sure NCLH is led by CPAs.  Utilizing CPA Verify, state CPA license look ups, and a quick look at NCLH's own leadership bio webpage showed me (and maybe I'm just not reading things correctly)

Frank J. Del Rio (or Delrio when you search for CPAs).  President & CEO, NCLH - BA in accounting from U of Florida; CPA; license AC0007029 null & void 12-31-1987.  

Now, I'm sure he's a busy guy, and keeping up CPE requirements for license renewal every few years can be burdensome, especially if you're not using the credentials in your work (not opining, etc.)  Most likely Del Rio let it lapse, IMO, but don't know that for sure.  No indications of actions by a CPA board, though.

Jason M. Montague, P & CEO of Regent - BA in accountancy from University of Miami.  No indication of a CPA license.  People tend not to omit this credential in their bios, in my experience.

Mark A Kempa, VP & CFO, NCLH - Bachelors of accounting, Barry University.  Again, no indication of CPA license; again, not a credential that most people omit - it's a hard test and people should be proud when they pass.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

To anyone who received an email from Regent this week, what did it say?  We did not receive anything although we have three cruises booked (two fully paid) and are NCLH shareholders.

Many thanks (and Go Nats--MLB starting today!),

• Like 1

@rallydave, truer words were never spoken.  And I come from a background of 40 years employment with a Big 4 and admire many CPAs greatly. 

A good CPA/firm can bring tremendous value to an entity - but it's not a given.  And, all CPAs are not equally talented - just like any walk of life.

Do CPAs make fatal mistakes?  Shall we in the industry hoist a glass in memory of Arthur Andersen, a firm acknowledged to have many of the best and brightest in the land of CPAs.  Their implosion really shook everyone - and I still vividly remember so many discussions revolving around 'what were they thinking of'?  And, of course, many instances for many other firms/individuals of 'what were they thinking of'?  CPAs are human too and can make errors.  Best case - after errors are found, fix the protocols and processes to help prevent another such error.  

That said, looking forward to the Q2 earnings release and whatever PwC has to say.  They did remove the 'going concern' phrase from Q1.

6 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Maybe it's coming with your secret decoder ring to help analyze the statement.  

But, hey, I have only invalid opinions too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, loriva said:

To anyone who received an email from Regent this week, what did it say?  We did not receive anything although we have three cruises booked (two fully paid) and are NCLH shareholders.

Many thanks (and Go Nats--MLB starting today!),

Our most recent email from Regent carried the subject line:  "The Majestic Fjords of the North".  To me, it seemed like one of the usual marketing emails.  I just went back and re-read it, and didn't see any comments about the financial health of NCLH or Regent.  

Interestingly, on the topic of cruise marketing, we have started to receive brochures in the mail again from various cruise lines.

• Like 1

Just now, RJ2002 said:

Our most recent email from Regent carried the subject line:  "The Majestic Fjords of the North".  To me, it seemed like one of the usual marketing emails.  I just went back and re-read it, and didn't see any comments about the financial health of NCLH or Regent.  

Interestingly, on the topic of cruise marketing, we have started to receive brochures in the mail again from various cruise lines.

Ditto.  Same email and we are getting numerous Regent and Oceania (who we haven't sailed) brochures over the last month.  It is interesting that the last few emails and brochures didn't seem to have any cruises before Spring 2021.

• Like 1

It seems increasing doubtful that any of the lines geared for the North American market will resume this year.  Yesterday I read that Princess has cancelled most sailings through mid December, and Australia sailings through October.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23270-princess-extends-pause-of-most-operations-until-december-15.html

17 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

That was not the letter that we received.  It was not a personal letter but one that I assumed went out to Regent customers.

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

That was not the letter that we received.  It was not a personal letter but one that I assumed went out to Regent customers.

Since nobody else has reported receiving this letter, perhaps you could post the letter here for all to see since it is not a personal letter but, one all could learn from?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

Since nobody else has reported receiving this letter, perhaps you could post the letter here for all to see since it is not a personal letter but, one all could learn from?

If the letter was only meant for Regent customers, it is not my place to share it.  

6 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

It seems increasing doubtful that any of the lines geared for the North American market will resume this year.  Yesterday I read that Princess has cancelled most sailings through mid December, and Australia sailings through October.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23270-princess-extends-pause-of-most-operations-until-december-15.html

Today Carnival announced a lot of movement of their ships, selling two more, and putting two into cold layup.  I agree 2020 is probably gone for almost every line serving the US.  

https://cruisefever.net/two-carnival-cruise-ships-have-been-sold-and-two-others-going-to-long-term-lay-up-status/

I no longer see Jackie's posts but from the banter I think what she is referring to is an invitation to a virtual event put on by Regent and our travel agent consortium.  Of course, I may be wrong.

Marc

edited to add:

Here is the description of the event:

It goes without saying that these are unprecedented times. We also know that the promise of new adventures ignites travel inspiration – either to explore a new part of the world or one you may have previously visited.

Join us for an exclusive virtual experience on Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and be inspired by the opportunity for future adventures, highlighting Regent's inspiring destinations including new itineraries, the inclusive value they deliver, and why now is a great time to book a Regent cruise.

Regent executives will discuss their new Health & Safety Protocol and Healthy Sail Panel both onboard and shoreside. They will cover what to expect when Regent starts cruising again, what's new for 2021, special itineraries you don't want to miss, personal impressions of Regent's newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor™and what sets Regent's fleet and experience apart.

The event's special guest will be Chef Bernhard Klotz, who will give us a behind the scenes look at Regent Seven Seas Cruises' exceptional culinary experiences, and how the line is evolving in harmony with our current times.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, rallydave said:

I have no idea whether I got it or not. I never read anything Regents sends. If by mail, it is unopened and tossed to recycle and emails are deleted without opening. I wish all the cruise companies would take me off their lists.

• Haha 1

Something about an email assuring that "they (Regent)aren’t going anywhere.", alluding to financial strength, apparently.  

A more cynical/realistic parsing might say that indeed Regent literally isn't going anywhere with passengers on board for some time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I no longer see Jackie's posts but from the banter I think what she is referring to is an invitation to a virtual event put on by Regent and our travel agent consortium.  Of course, I may be wrong.

Marc

edited to add:

Here is the description of the event:

It goes without saying that these are unprecedented times. We also know that the promise of new adventures ignites travel inspiration – either to explore a new part of the world or one you may have previously visited.

Join us for an exclusive virtual experience on Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and be inspired by the opportunity for future adventures, highlighting Regent's inspiring destinations including new itineraries, the inclusive value they deliver, and why now is a great time to book a Regent cruise.

Regent executives will discuss their new Health & Safety Protocol and Healthy Sail Panel both onboard and shoreside. They will cover what to expect when Regent starts cruising again, what's new for 2021, special itineraries you don't want to miss, personal impressions of Regent's newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor™and what sets Regent's fleet and experience apart.

The event's special guest will be Chef Bernhard Klotz, who will give us a behind the scenes look at Regent Seven Seas Cruises' exceptional culinary experiences, and how the line is evolving in harmony with our current times.

I think that went to your consortium only....