Time for NCLH financial-related posts?

19 minutes ago, greykitty said:

I don't know that any 'official' word has come out.  I don't think I've read the CDC has signed off on anything.  But on other forums it has been mentioned that Carnival was looking at shorter cruises, perhaps even limited to local state residents, at the very beginning.  From a contact tracing/health care standpoint, I could see that. 

I'm not following Carnival closely, but it seems like a bit of wishful thinking and pushing-the-envelope on their part.  I guess someone has to do it for US sailings.  I agree that there's going to be a lot of back and forth with the CDC before it is a reality.

• Like 1

Not just US residents, I think Carnival is planning on those cruises being filled by people driving to the ports.  Probably 50-60 million live within  eight hour drive to those ports.

Marc

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Not just US residents, I think Carnival is planning on those cruises being filled by people driving to the ports.  Probably 50-60 million live within  eight hour drive to those ports.

Marc

That is concerning given the rising number of Covid-19 cases in some states.

57 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I just can't see it, if they for how long.  If they have to stop, what will that do to the lines that are waiting it out.

Agree!  I hope they don’t ruin it for us. We are waiting until it’s really safe to cruise again. 
sheila

On 5/5/2020 at 6:21 AM, mrlevin said:

Yes, lent from the owner so that someone else can pay the insurance cost.

Marc, are you sure?  FDR goes on art shopping trips. I have seen a few pages of what he was considering for Explorer. It included prices. No mention of borrowing.  Some of the artwork are from Cuban artists that are likely purchased. The artwork is not protected very well. I would think that borrowed artwork would require better security. 

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Marc, are you sure?  FDR goes on art shopping trips. I have seen a few pages of what he was considering for Explorer. It included prices. No mention of borrowing.  Some of the artwork are from Cuban artists that are likely purchased. The artwork is not protected very well. I would think that borrowed artwork would require better security. 

I don't think Marc was referencing del Rio specifically.  I had asked if 'anyone in the know' actually did know how art/decoratives on the ships was owned, and mentioned that I have been in some lovely boutique hotels that had some unexpectedly good art on the walls - which I then found out was 'lent' by the owner, not part of the assets of the commercial entity.  As Marc mentioned, that sort of 'lending' can minimize personal expenditures on insurance by the actual owner.

Guess still wondering who actually owns the artwork on the ships, but it was an idle question.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, greykitty said:

I don't think Marc was referencing del Rio specifically.  I had asked if 'anyone in the know' actually did know how art/decoratives on the ships was owned, and mentioned that I have been in some lovely boutique hotels that had some unexpectedly good art on the walls - which I then found out was 'lent' by the owner, not part of the assets of the commercial entity.  As Marc mentioned, that sort of 'lending' can minimize personal expenditures on insurance by the actual owner.

Guess still wondering who actually owns the artwork on the ships, but it was an idle question.

I keep generalizing about Regent and don't think of the other ships.  I just know that Frank Del Rio has selected all of the artwork on Oceania's Riviera and Marina as well as on Regent's Splendor and Explorer.  There are some very expensive pieces on these ships.

This reminds me of Regent's beautiful new ships.  It appears (not a fact) that the more money was spent on the interior of Explorer than Splendor.  Have to leave - am taking notes from the FDR interview.

Just started a new thread with notes from the interview.  If there is any interests why I feel that less money was spent on Splendor - just ask.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks for the update - and maybe we'll never know who actually owns the artwork.  Or maybe it's buried deep in some SEC filing but I doubt I have the strength to go looking LOL.

I admit - I keep getting stuck on the $200,000 bed on Splendor.

6 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Thanks for the update - and maybe we'll never know who actually owns the artwork.  Or maybe it's buried deep in some SEC filing but I doubt I have the strength to go looking LOL.

I admit - I keep getting stuck on the $200,000 bed on Splendor.

And don't forget about the ever-popular one-of-a-kind Buddhist Prayer Wheel!    😉

Just now, pingpong1 said:

And don't forget about the ever-popular one-of-a-kind Buddhist Prayer Wheel!    😉

I did have the impression that more people in general would be able to enjoy the Prayer Wheel than the bed, at least.  But, ok, I would love to see the insurance appraisal on the various items on the ships, on various lines.

I wonder if any 'regular people' ever reviewed that Splendor suite and the bed.  Really, not sure why I'm so fixated.  My cat tends to have hairballs every few months on my bed, so I'm not ever going to be in the market for a new bed at that price range.

50 minutes ago, greykitty said:

I did have the impression that more people in general would be able to enjoy the Prayer Wheel than the bed, at least.  But, ok, I would love to see the insurance appraisal on the various items on the ships, on various lines.

I wonder if any 'regular people' ever reviewed that Splendor suite and the bed.  Really, not sure why I'm so fixated.  My cat tends to have hairballs every few months on my bed, so I'm not ever going to be in the market for a new bed at that price range.

After reading your latest posts, I am thinking you are more interested in investing in RSSC than taking a cruise..... just teasing!

sheila

Well, to be fair - I don't think there will be many cruises in the near/mid-term.  And it is 'fun' to pick something and just track it, especially during these days in SIP.  Kind of like giving a 'fun' stock as a gift to a kid and watching them learn about a whole different part of the world and economy.  The whole financial structure of the cruise industry is really interesting to me - I spent all my years watching the financial services industries, which is not quite as exotic to me.

In reality, I'll let my funds manager do the heavy lifting in my portfolio - a thing I got used to in my working life.  And, at this point, I'm just looking forward to maybe a 'cruise' on the Chicago riverboat architecture tour (may it return) and some time at the Art Institute - and maybe eating lunch sitting down at a restaurant!  Baby steps first!

5 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Yes, the beautiful, very heavy prayer that is only on Explorer.  It is very special and is one of many reasons why Explorer is our favorite ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Quote - Frank DelRio...

I don’t believe for a minute that the mature audience is not going to cruise anymore,” he said. “These are the most loyal customers. They’ve got the time to cruise. They’ve got the money to cruise and, quite frankly, they’re pissed off that they can’t cruise right now. They’ve got a bucket list. They’ve got a short time left on this planet, and they want to make the most of it.” 

Hooray... he gets it! ( of course, not 100% but a majority of us)

sheila 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Quote - Frank DelRio...

I don’t believe for a minute that the mature audience is not going to cruise anymore,” he said. “These are the most loyal customers. They’ve got the time to cruise. They’ve got the money to cruise and, quite frankly, they’re pissed off that they can’t cruise right now. They’ve got a bucket list. They’ve got a short time left on this planet, and they want to make the most of it.” 

Hooray... he gets it! ( of course, not 100% but a majority of us)

sheila 

Yes Sheila - he definitely "gets it!"  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I keep generalizing about Regent and don't think of the other ships.  I just know that Frank Del Rio has selected all of the artwork on Oceania's Riviera and Marina as well as on Regent's Splendor and Explorer.  There are some very expensive pieces on these ships.

This reminds me of Regent's beautiful new ships.  It appears (not a fact) that the more money was spent on the interior of Explorer than Splendor.  Have to leave - am taking notes from the FDR interview.

Just started a new thread with notes from the interview.  If there is any interests why I feel that less money was spent on Splendor - just ask.

Tc2,

Curious - referencing your comment "...less money was spent on Splendor..."?

Thanks!

Hopefully I will post photos of the stair case on Explorer and Splendor. On the next page will be the prayer wheel vs the dragon.

This is Explorer:

image.png.ff89ec47d12d0ae682ac0d666975ce5a.png

And this is Splendor.  IMO, beautiful but not as elegant or expensive (better photo on Regent website)

image.png.dcdf966f75d4a74155613f13554e78a3.png

Edited by Travelcat2