Ruby Princess - Special Inquiry - Evidence To Date

48 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I have never seen that before either.

In hindsight, having the motion sickness pills at the passenger service desk kept a lot of people away from the medical center.  As soon as the ship turned around from Napier and it was full speed ahead, the ship was rocking.  A lot of people were seasick on top of upset that the cruise was cut short and also overwhelmed about getting transportation home.  

My husband got stung by something in Napier at a bee farm.  lol  The next day his arm was still soar and a very big raised red spot.  I told him to go to the medical center or just take one of the benadryls I had in our first aid kit. He thought about going to the doctor...  But the announcement about coming down to the medical center if you had flu like symptoms was heard, plus all the seasick people..he instead, listened to ME, took a benadryl and was fine in a few hours. That's probably why I remember when they started asking people to come down to the medical center. (March 16th)

Edited by BRANDEE

Ouch! Your poor husband. 

By the 16th I suspect the number of flu and covid-19 cases were starting to become seen as more than usual on a cruise. It must have been a nightmare for the medical staff, especially with the spectre of covid-19 and the Diamond Princess situation in their minds.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ouch! Your poor husband. 

By the 16th I suspect the number of flu and covid-19 cases were starting to become seen as more than usual on a cruise. It must have been a nightmare for the medical staff, especially with the spectre of covid-19 and the Diamond Princess situation in their minds.

In Wellington, March 14th, the doctor had 4?, passengers tested for covid and they all came back negative.  As other patients reported with flu like symptoms, the next few days, I think the decision to give motion sickness pills at the passengers desk was a calculated move to keep  people from going to the medical center and getting infected due to motion sickness.  Good move!

• Like 1

I have read elsewhere here that some cruise lines make motion sickness pills available at guest services any time they might be needed. I can't confirm that for Princess though as we always have our own. I have seen sick bag supplies hanging off the stairwell banisters a couple of times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have read elsewhere here that some cruise lines make motion sickness pills available at guest services any time they might be needed. I can't confirm that for Princess though as we always have our own. I have seen sick bag supplies hanging off the stairwell banisters a couple of times.

I think Royal Caribbean have them available at guest services OzKiwiJJ.

Leigh

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Royal Caribbean do have them at Guest Services

Edited by phoenixx
Clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

Royal Caribbean do have them at Guest Services

I have been very fortunate never to need motion sickness medicine..so far.  Maybe , that is why I never noticed it at passenger service desk. But on the Ruby Mar 8th cruise I had so much trouble with my flight home being cancelled and rescheduled twice..I did spend the last three days around the passenger service desk.  Wonder if they are always available?? With the ship rockin and rollin..it is a very good idea.

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

I have been very fortunate never to need motion sickness medicine..so far.  Maybe , that is why I never noticed it at passenger service desk. But on the Ruby Mar 8th cruise I had so much trouble with my flight home being cancelled and rescheduled twice..I did spend the last three days around the passenger service desk.  Wonder if they are always available?? With the ship rockin and rollin..it is a very good idea.

I have never seen seasickness meds publicly available on Princess.

• Like 1

THIS WEEK at the Inquiry - email from them:

"Good afternoon,

Public hearings of the Special Commission of Inquiry into the Ruby Princess continue tomorrow, Monday, from 9.30am.

The Ruby Princess cruise passengers listed below are scheduled to appear.

Please note that social distancing requirements mean neither the public nor media have access to the hearing room.

You will have viewing access via the livestream at www.rubyprincessinquiry.nsw.gov.au/hearings/

The list for tomorrow is:

·         Jill Whittemore

·         William Wright

·         David Annesley

·         Josephine Roope

·         Lynda De Lamotte

As for the week, currently hearings are scheduled for Monday, Tuesday and Friday [subject to change].

At this stage, I do not have a witness list beyond the names listed above for tomorrow.

Please keep an eye on www.rubyprincessinquiry.nsw.gov.au/hearings/ for updates regarding witnesses, along with transcripts and exhibits".

• Like 1

RE  evidence from 4 Passenger Witnesses this morning (most of whom provided police statements, admitted as exhibits)

My brief  observations:

1 No one heard  shipboard announcements that the medical services for people with respiratory problems will be free of charge

2 A couple of people had problems with testing for Covid  post cruise on shore, as they did not have any or sufficient symptoms (the fact that they came from a cruise ship or that their  partner/ fellow traveller friend had symptoms, was not taken into account by health authorities); one witness arranged for testing at a private hospital

3. In general, no mask worn on the ship by crew and staff;  

4 One pax was advised that his regular waiter on the ship  was sick, (towards the end of the cruse);  another pax could hear that the stateroom attendant servicing his and his friend's cabin was working with a persistent cough. 

5. One person, picking a relative, was very surprised that people disembarked very early (was told by a pax that NSW Health would be inspecting ship) - and also saw about 600 or more people waiting for their transport shuttles etc post disembarkation  

Newspaper cover so far - only regional news - link below with brief quotes from that article

https://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/6801560/virus-test-denied-despite-cruise-ship-link/?cs=9397

"Virus test denied despite cruise ship link"

"Despite David Annesley's requests to be tested for COVID-19 after collecting his mother-in-law from the Ruby Princess cruise ship, it was days until he was allowed to be swabbed".

"His wife called NSW Health to explain the circumstances but was told she and Mr Annesley would not be eligible for testing".

"They would ask, 'have you got any questions of us and I would always ask questions but they said 'we're not from a medical background, we'll come back to you'.

"They never, ever came back with an answer."

Point 1. No-one heard? Or they didn't listen?

From past experience if you're out and about the ship it can be almost impossible to hear announcements because people nearby just ignore them and carry on talking.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

From past experience if you're out and about the ship it can be almost impossible to hear announcements because people nearby just ignore them and carry on talking.

Actually the words don't remember have been used a lot when referring to  announcements and information under the door. The current witness as I type this does remember the announcements but not about the free of charge in medical. Mr Walker asked her again about this and the answer was again no.

Edited by Cruisegroover

26 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The loss of sound was an issue this morning when the witnesses were giving their evidence. I didn't see the evidence this afternoon to see if the issue had been rectified.

No it hasn't. Mr Walker is also asking why. Current witness is in the room so all good.

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My take on that post was that they could hear the announcements but heard no mention in the announcement of "free of charge" checks.

16 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My take on that post was that they could hear the announcements but heard no mention in the announcement of "free of charge" checks.

Yes - the 'free of charge' bit re medical consultation  seemed to be missing a lot from pax recollections.

And from the evidence of an experienced cruiser Ms DeLamotte this afternoon, a statement that people with mild symptoms were told to go  initially to 'guest services'  (the first time on any  of her cruises). When  she went enquiring about 'virus' test,  she was told what she understood that the medical centre services are expensive, but the purser's staff did know the cost.

And the reluctance by Health NSW to test pax with minimum or no symptoms - but coming from Ruby Princess, even if they had  contact with somebody ill - might be significant. Very narrow testing guidelines at that time?

Wouldn’t the Medical Centre have other charges happening besides Covid related and stating free visits could cause confusion? This would be something advised either in writing or once you went to see the Dr on board?

Would you not, if you felt even a little “flu symptoms”  - especially once the ship had been turned around and headed back to Sydney because of Covid19 - head to Medical yourself regardless? 

Edited by Porky55

3 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

And the reluctance by Health NSW to test pax with minimum or no symptoms - but coming from Ruby Princess, even if they had  contact with somebody ill - might be significant. Very narrow testing guidelines at that time?

Yes at the time it was quite narrow and limited test kits were available during March. Lots of people turned away including friends who had been on Ovation of the Seas.

45 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

BRANDEE mentioned that she recalls the "free of charge" announcement on one day, the last sea day so 18th, but couldn't remember if it was mentioned on the preceding days.

12 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Would you not, if you felt even a little “flu symptoms”  - especially once the ship had been turned around and headed back to Sydney because of Covid19 - head to Medical yourself regardless? 

Some sensible people would but those who didn't want to risk being confined to their cabin wouldn't. Also no-one really expected Covid19 to be on the ship as Aus/NZ was seen as a safe region so people who were just starting to feel a bit unwell may have just thought that they'd be home soon so they could go to their own GP.