Thermal scanners to be used by Carnival.

outdoors27

I saw this earlier this morning and didn't post anything as I figured someone may have already done so, but I still have seen anything on here. Do the thermal scanners get us a little closer to maybe sailing in August? Either way enjoy. 

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-partners-with-infrared-cameras-for-passenger-crew-screening/

Edited by outdoors27
Typo
  • Like 3

Excellent!  I hope other lines follow suit.  

Now all we need is for that one person who claims this is a violation of their right to privacy...something like that is coming, mark my words!!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Excellent!  I hope other lines follow suit.  

Now all we need is for that one person who claims this is a violation of their right to privacy...something that is coming, mark my words!!

Last I heard no one was forced to go on a cruise ship, but unfortunately you are probably right.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, outdoors27 said:

I saw this earlier this morning and didn't post anything as I figured someone may have already done so, but I still have seen anything on here. Do the thermal scanners get us a little closer to maybe sailing in August? Either way enjoy. 

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-partners-with-infrared-cameras-for-passenger-crew-screening/

Thx for posting!

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

We're using a device at work that's like a mounted ipad. You look at it and the camera detects your temperature. It makes some people feel better but It's not a substitute for a covid19 test.

In my personal opinion, it seems like this is too little too late for detection of a possible COVID positive person. I would be seriously concerned with the possible exposure of many others in the terminal at the same time as someone who had a high fever and could be COVID positive. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

We're using a device at work that's like a mounted ipad. You look at it and the camera detects your temperature. It makes some people feel better but It's not a substitute for a covid19 test.

It shows compliance for Carnival, but you're right, not a test.  Plus there are people who naturally "run hot", people who get overheated from climbing stairs or people who take Tylenol to lower a possible high temp.  Lots of variables.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SLCfirsttimer said:

In my personal opinion, it seems like this is too little too late for detection of a possible COVID positive person. I would be seriously concerned with the possible exposure of many others in the terminal at the same time as someone who had a high fever and could be COVID positive. 

Based on this post I assume you are in no rush to cruise any time soon. I don’t disagree with anything you said, although I would go on a cruise tomorrow if possible. 

• Like 1

They took our temperatures when we cruised in March using the handheld infrared thermometers. In my opinion, I think there's more things working against temperature checks than there are that make them a vital tool. The only thing they accomplish is to (hopefully) catch someone with a fever. As has been said for the last 2+ months, by then, that person has exposed countless people to the virus, if they have it. Aside from that, it's known that people are contagious before they display any of the symptoms. Just because they aren't running a fever doesn't mean they're negative. Then there are those with the virus who don't display any symptoms at all throughout the course of the illness. It's estimated that 30% of people with it never show symptoms. All those people are still "dangerous," but temp. checks won't do a thing to detect them.

There's also the risk of drawing false conclusions. Like ninjacat123 said, some people run hot. I'm often one of them. When we went in March, I had helped the shuttle driver take our 5 suitcases out of the van and lifted them up onto the scanner conveyor and back down again. Mind you, these were all large bags because we didn't check them, so it was a lot of heavy lifting. The line was moving fast, so it didn't take long to get from our shuttle to this point, so by the time I got to the temperature checker, I was HOT and sweating. He took a reading once, then asked me to wipe my forehead. He took it again and let me go through, but I know I was above normal, so he could've easily made a big deal out of it. I'm glad he didn't, but I must admit, I was nervous because I knew I was hot. I won't disparage any business from performing temperature checks, but I think the cons might outweigh the pros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I see lots of excuses for not using thermal scanners, but certainly is better than nothing.

OMG, First time I actually agree with something you’ve said.  Find solutions not excuses.

Either cruise lines find a mitigated way to cruise in 2020 or they should delay indefinitely (I know bankruptcy, world ends, dogs eat cats).  

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

It shows compliance for Carnival, but you're right, not a test.  Plus there are people who naturally "run hot", people who get overheated from climbing stairs or people who take Tylenol to lower a possible high temp.  Lots of variables.

And at our building you won't get past security if you have a temperature. I set it off once at like 99.4. I immediately retook it and it was 97 something which is where I'm always coming up. You can wait it out and retest. But I wonder what they will do when someone tests high getting on the ship and it doesn't go down. Or if they do this returning to the ship in a foreign port and someone has that problem. Are they going to be left behind or are they going to be quarantined in their room?

I'm fine with whatever testing they decide to use, but I am really hoping they will have some type of rapid covid-19 test available if the virus is still a problem in August.  If they just do the temperature check and then require everyone to wear masks, that won't be a fun cruise.  I'm not worried about getting the virus on a cruise.  I cruised in March and was not concerned.  I have my doubts that someone can catch the virus simply by standing near a person with no symptoms.  

Anyway, I hope there will be a rapid test available, but I will still cruise in September with a temperature check if no masks are required on the ship.  I do think temperature checks will be a deterrent and hope that Carnival will allow last minute cancellations due to illness and give FCC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on this post I assume you are in no rush to cruise any time soon. I don’t disagree with anything you said, although I would go on a cruise tomorrow if possible. 

You would be correct. Ours in April was cancelled and I was really looking forward to it, but I don't anticipate I will cruise again until there is some significant advancements beyond masks and hand-washing in limiting the spread. 

LOL, see the news headline now.  Right after the very first port of call.   "No one allowed back on Carnival Ship, after everyone test as having excessive temperature"     And you look at a long line of people standing in the sun, sweating their asses off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

And at our building you won't get past security if you have a temperature. I set it off once at like 99.4. I immediately retook it and it was 97 something which is where I'm always coming up. You can wait it out and retest. But I wonder what they will do when someone tests high getting on the ship and it doesn't go down. Or if they do this returning to the ship in a foreign port and someone has that problem. Are they going to be left behind or are they going to be quarantined in their room?

I think they would be subject to additional screening and tests.

1 hour ago, Elbozi said:

LOL, see the news headline now.  Right after the very first port of call.   "No one allowed back on Carnival Ship, after everyone test as having excessive temperature"     And you look at a long line of people standing in the sun, sweating their asses off.

Or drunk and an elevated temperature 

The article doesn't make it clear to me what these will look like. But when we went to Japan last year we got our temperature taken at customs and didn't even know it.  They have cameras you walk by as you walk through customs with infrared scanners. Was seamless and didn't even know they were there until we walked through and looked backwards and saw the screens. So, I"m imagining they could have something like this and it would be completely non-intrusive.  Now how accurate they are, I don't know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am with you I would cruise right now if they would welcome me aboard.  I think there are a lot of people on both sides of the fence, some that will cruise now and others that it may be a year or more before they are comfortable. Personally, I could care less about a thermal scan, I think they are useless because anyone who has paid a bunch of money to go on vacation will just take a fever reducer. 

Carnival, if you want to do a test voyage I volunteer!

• Like 3

People with COVID-19 can spread the virus before exhibiting symptoms so the temperature will be a good measure but it will not guarantee a virus free cruise. I am still hoping on a reliable instant test that can check everyone before boarding. Of course even with this, if one person test positive not is again not guarantee the virus has not been passed on.  

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

People with COVID-19 can spread the virus before exhibiting symptoms so the temperature will be a good measure but it will not guarantee a virus free cruise. I am still hoping on a reliable instant test that can check everyone before boarding. Of course even with this, if one person test positive not is again not guarantee the virus has not been passed on.  

There are no guarantees

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

And who is to say none of them will catch it when you release thousands of people into multiple foreign countries and then let them back on the ship?

You would have to test them each time they board. Or keep them in a private island and controlled port area bubble where everyone has been tested.

But if they did something like that there would be no reason for reduced capacity or social distancing or any of that on the ship. It seems more likely they’re just going to try to control the spread of anything onboard.

• Thanks 1