Refund with Medical Conditions?

CVW

Long story short, I was told I could only have an FCC when I canceled my Symphony OTS cruise in March (among the very first cruises canceled). Literally a few hours later, RC began offering refunds instead of credits. I called back a couple of weeks later, they told me they would give me a refund, only to renege on this assurance later on. I’m out roughly $15K.

I’m a physician, and our hospital system has stated that anyone who cruises will be required to isolate for fourteen days after their return, essentially saying that I can’t go on a cruise. My wife has recurrent pneumonitis, a breathing condition, and has been told she’s high risk, and should not cruise. My daughter has asthma, and has likewise been told by her physician that she shouldn’t cruise. All of these restrictions, of course, did not exist in the pre-corona world.

Will I get anywhere by requesting the refund again with this information? (I didn’t discuss this with them previously, when they told me I’d be getting a refund.) Or should I seek legal counsel?

Any information or referral would be appreciated. Thanks.

I appreciate that, and the quickness of your reply, but it doesn’t really address my question. I’m asking for anyone’s current experience with this question regarding Royal Caribbean offering only credits to people no longer able to cruise, and RC’s potential legal exposure. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, spookwife said:

That’s what travel insurance is for.  It’s not the cruise lines fault your personal circumstances prevent you from cruising.  

Exactly my thought. 

When you cancel a cruise (rather than Royal cancelling the cruise) travel insurance would be your only option for a cash refund.  I cancelled the second cruise of a B2B in February of this year due to health concerns and did receive a cash refund from insurance.  

I don't believe you have a legitimate 

15 minutes ago, CVW said:

Will I get anywhere by requesting the refund again with this information? (I didn’t discuss this with them previously, when they told me I’d be getting a refund.) Or should I seek legal counsel?

When they made the offer of a refund, you no longer had a viable contract with RCI.  I understand it sucks (and it does), but your cancelling before that offer was made rendered your cruise contract null and void.  

Getting legal counsel will probably do one thing only, ultimately cost you more money than it already has.   You had no cruise contract at the time of the offer.

You aren't 'out' that money.  And circumstances can change.  The COVID-19 situation is ever evolving.  I hope that you are able to use your FCC and enjoy what will probably be a much-needed vacation.  🙂

Edited by barbeyg

3 minutes ago, CVW said:

I appreciate that, and the quickness of your reply, but it doesn’t really address my question. I’m asking for anyone’s current experience with this question regarding Royal Caribbean offering only credits to people no longer able to cruise, and RC’s potential legal exposure. Thanks.

What legal exposure? You canceled. Your only recourse would be through the insurance that you apparently chose not to purchase. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CVW said:

As posted, refunds will only be issued if the cruise lines cancels.  If you cancel before the cruise line then a FCC fir 200% of what you paid is the best you will do.  

if you are over 70 you can request that your FCC be transferred to someone else if you will be unable to use it. 

18 minutes ago, CVW said:

There is no legal exposure. You are being made whole according to the letter of the law in the contract you signed. 
You cancelled;  NO ONE that cancelled on their own volition received a refund, only credit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVW said:

I’m a physician, and our hospital system has stated that anyone who cruises will be required to isolate for fourteen days after their return, essentially saying that I can’t go on a cruise.

That rule is not likely to be in place all the way till April of 2022, when your FCC will be good till.

12 hours ago, CVW said:

I’m a physician, and our hospital system has stated that anyone who cruises will be required to isolate for fourteen days after their return, essentially saying that I can’t go on a cruise. My wife has recurrent pneumonitis, a breathing condition, and has been told she’s high risk, and should not cruise. My daughter has asthma, and has likewise been told by her physician that she shouldn’t cruise. All of these restrictions, of course, did not exist in the pre-corona world.

A house full of people with medical conditions and you don't have insurance.  One would think someone in your profession would know the value of insurance. With a FCC you are out nothing. 

• Like 5

If you had travel insurance, you could probably sign the physician's certification for your family members and it would be for covered reasons then. I don't quite know how that works out legally, but it would be handy to have a physician in the family. 

15 hours ago, CVW said:

They have not been making any exceptions. 

I would think you could book something in 2022 and by then covid will be under control. Do you have until the end of this year or next to book?

You mention their legal exposure. You cancelled the cruise and accepted the future credit. You are the doctor, I'm sure you know better than us what covid might look like 2 years from now.

I went through this a couple of weeks ago.

We had a Sept NE/Canada cruise, that we had planned on cancelling.  But with things ifn flux, my TA and discussed it, and decided to wait until the last second before we cancelled.

And about 3 days before final payment, RCI canceled the cruise.  😄

On 6/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, CVW said:

Long story short, I was told I could only have an FCC when I canceled my Symphony OTS cruise in March (among the very first cruises canceled). Literally a few hours later, RC began offering refunds instead of credits. I called back a couple of weeks later, they told me they would give me a refund, only to renege on this assurance later on. I’m out roughly $15K.

Any information or referral would be appreciated. Thanks.

You chose to cancel your cruise prior to the cruise line cancelling and at that time, accepted what the cruise line was offering.  They are not making any exceptions for better offers that came out after you cancel, even if they cancel the cruise.  I also cancelled our cruise in March, prior to the cruise cancelling, because of pre existing conditions and also because my DH was going to have to self quarantine for 14 days after we got back.  Our cruise has since been cancelled by the cruise line, but I am no eligible for a full refund as I cancelled prior to them cancelling.  I made the decision to cancel, based on the information I had at the time, and I accept that.  I would be happier with a full refund and am not sure if we will ever be able to use our FCC, but I accept the decision that we made.

To all of those saying that is what insurance is for, we had insurance and they do not pay if there is a declared pandemic.  

We are just going to wait it out and see what happens with this virus.  We know that once ships do start sailing, my DH will likely have to self quarantine for 14 days after a cruise, but hope that policy changes as vaccines are developed and the world has a better understanding of this virus.  We also are prepared to just right this money off if we are not comfortable cruising at the point our FCC expire.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, reallyitsmema said:

they do not pay if there is a declared pandemic.  

Those of us with third-party "cancel for any reason" purchased prior to the declaration of a pandemic still have coverage. That is why I am not shifting my Feb cruise. CFAR only pays 75% of nonrefundable costs, but I would rather have that than FCCs for more expensive cruises months later that still might not happen.