How will passenger capacity be decided?

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have the formula.  Thank you for asking.

All names of booked passengers will be submitted to ME.

Along with passport names, Cruise Critic names will be listed.

Anyone that I don't like will be booted.

So start sucking up NOW.

Wrong thread...try here.

I posed this as an issue as well awhile ago. We can only cruise at high capacity periods because of school schedules. That means there will be more people aboard than say a February 7 cruise. The other issue will be that if they have to reduce capacity, it won't be because of them. They could say it is due to the CDC and only offer equal FCC and no refund. These are some scenarios that I have run through my head.

• For the sake of being easy, lets assume cabins in a row are all sequential 14133, 14134, 14135... If the CDC says they can only be every other cabin and a family has adjoining rooms for 3 kids (say room 14134) and the parents in 14133. Do they boot room 14134 (freeing up 14133 as well) or screw over the family in 14135?
  • They could go all out Wild West, send a disclaimer email to all people with a reservation deposit and not paid in full. Inform them rooms guarantees are based on the first 50% who pay in full. The rest will be given FCC for what they have paid in. 
  • They could contact all people with a booking, tell them they have to make a 100% non-refundable full payment by Day X (maybe 3 months before current Paid in Full date). If not paid in full by that date, you volunteered to vacate the sailing. 

There is not going to be any way that everyone will agree with. I can tell you right now if our ship sails on Nov 22, we are cruising as long as they let us on.

As crewsweeper  just stated above, American Airlines just announced there will be no social distancing starting on July 1st. Back to normal will be normal sooner than most think.  Some Royal ships sail with a 105% occupancy, they can reduce passenger count 5% and fulfill CDC recommendations to limiting numbers. 

What we really need is another baseless speculation thread.  Far too few of these lately.

BRB.  Gonna throw some chicken bones over my crystal Oasis block and try reading them.  I'll let y'all know if I get any insights.  May also just down some wine for added effect.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

So start sucking up NOW.

image.png.01c0422f677aec50234e05b6bd640b02.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Maybe they'll follow the American Airlines model....pack 'em in🤪

I saw that on the news. American and United both are idiots and I say that even though hubby flies for one of them. 😂  I would think more pax would want to fly with Delta because they are separating pax. Then again there are the people that don't mind being packed into bars like cattle so they might not care.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

As crewsweeper  just stated above, American Airlines just announced there will be no social distancing starting on July 1st. Back to normal will be normal sooner than most think.  Some Royal ships sail with a 105% occupancy, they can reduce passenger count 5% and fulfill CDC recommendations to limiting numbers. 

Things were trying to get back to normal, but now a lot of places are taking a step back because people wouldn't social distance or wear a mask like they were supposed to. I think the airlines will also end up taking a step back so I don't think normal will be back very soon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I saw that on the news. American and United both are idiots and I say that even though hubby flies for one of them. 😂  I would think more pax would want to fly with Delta because they are separating pax. Then again there are the people that don't mind being packed into bars like cattle so they might not care.

Both Air Canada and Westjet are going to start flying full again as well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Both Air Canada and Westjet are going to start flying full again as well

Can't the CDC put a stop to that like they have stopped cruises from sailing?

The cruise industry has already implemented the reduced capacity approach on ships that just started to sail again (e.g. river cruises, Hurtigruten ocean cruises in Norway and from Germany, Sea Dream ocean cruises in Norway). Hotels in Europe also opened with a reduced maximum capacity allowed. 

No one knows, but we've cancelled seven cruises through the end of 2020 so far, and none of the cabins we had booked have ever showed back up in inventory, so maybe they're pulling cancelled cabins out of the booking engine until they know what capacity they will be allowed to have.

First booked, last cancelled is one way.

Or, anything not balcony and above getting pulled makes sense for multiple reasons. More $$$ coming for balconies and above, and if (when?) the ship gets quarantined, a lot better to be cooped up in a room with a balcony versus an interior. Some of the non balconies could be used by crew to help space them out.

Imagine the outrage if they decided Sea, Sky and Star only? Bet they wouldn't have a problem fulling booking that.

5 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

How will it be determined which people get to sail on that date? What will happen to those who are not inside the 40% group regardless as to when they booked? The option of a refund or FCC's ? This isn't the same topic for those who lost their cruise this year and who were given options. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Dear Valued Guest

To comply with reduced passenger capacity, RCCL has identified staterooms that will remain empty on each cruise. Unoccupied rooms will be deep cleaned for assignment on subsequent cruises. 

Unfortunately, your stateroom is scheduled to be deep cleaned during the week of your cruise. Your reservation has been cancelled. 

Your business is blurry important to us. You will be a 125% FCC for rebooking you’re journey. 

RCCL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

The CDC has limited authority over domestic travel.  They can halt interstate travel, but it's a messy constitutional argument under the Commerce Clause and can't be invoked without a state asking for the CDC to do it.  I don't think it has happened in my lifetime, but if someone knows better: chime in.

They DO have broad authority to put a halt to international cruises out of US ports, and have done so.

Edited by mk-ultra

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Think they getting away with it as more Airlines now starting to require Masks. Hasn't been required except whatever current individual AL policy is. Figure even at peak CV crisis Masks werent required pretty much anywhere n US. I fly Allegiant and not until July 2 will they begin to be required on the flight. Before its do what you want, on a May 30 flight and about 40+ % didnt wear them. Was first time I even wore Mask after staying home since 1st week of March

Edited by ONECRUISER

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

We can only cruise at high capacity periods because of school schedules. That means there will be more people aboard than say a February 7 cruise.

I thought most cruises sailed full. I think Royal charges more this Spring Break, Holiday, and Summer cruises. 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think they should just sail with 2. Would love to have the ship to ourselves. 😇

Did 4 Cruises the months after 9/11. All were quiet, Empty. One I remember number's offhand Capacity was 2400, we had 1200. No Families, all Couples and many Solo's, most time felt like more Crew then Passengers. In 30+ years were Cheapest Cruises ever Booked, one was 5nite for $9each($50 Port), $118 total 2 of us. Booked that one with coins I rolled from my change jar...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

So start sucking up NOW.

The capacity of Caribbean sailings can be cut in half just by those who don't have a passport

• Like 2

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

With a side politics and sports talk. 

Is sports talk allowed?

I saw some Gordie Howe posts earlier that I wanted to go back and comment on and now I can't find them. 😕

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

So start sucking up NOW.

BEF5C1A0-3226-4BEC-B9EC-B1E7917F570B.gif.1d69f3e29175f09ab8671940ce14cd21.gif