UK Foreign Office advise against taking cruises

Ugg, the cruise industry has gotten such a bad wrap!

But really, what did you expect them to say?  It will be interesting to see whose government agency is the first to declare that cruising is safe.  Nobody wants to be the first to officially take that leap...

• Like 1

It’s not just cruise ships. 
“The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.”

The advice in Ireland is similar. I’d imagine a lot of counties are giving this advice. 

• Like 1

I wish they would give a time or date on it such as 12 weeks or until a certain month.   We have had 3 cancelled already by RCI, We have one booked on Princess with er did with a TA, not sure whether I can just call them and point this out and ask them to cancel it.

45 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

“The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.”

The advice in Ireland is similar. I’d imagine a lot of counties are giving this advice. 

Yes, Canada is pretty much the same; global advisory against non-essential travel and a specific advisory not to cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Updated today - The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises against cruise ship travel at this time. This is due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

Yet they have allowed and are stillallowing thousands of people to fly into the country with no checks.

TUI Cruises, Hapag Lloyd Cruises and Aida also start late July or Early August with cruises to Norway and Scandinavia without port stops but drive by or with technical stops. 60% ocupancy, food is served even at buffets, no masks required in general, only in some smaller indoor places. Buttom line cruises will go on, even in 2020,  not like many here say no cruises even in 2021....

1 hour ago, Lindypops said:

MSC are making a statement on 15 july about resuming cruises in August 2020

not that we would ever Consider going with MSC but should be interesting if they do start up. 

Why MSC are very ive been on a number of cruises with them 

Big blow to the cruise industry  remember your travel insurance is invalid if youve gone FCO advice !!!

• Like 2

yeah well that is no surprise

like i have said in previous posts other industries are back in business...so why not cruise lines. i think they should open  up NOW  and all cruise lines are wishing that too.

But it aint gonna happen. The cruise industry has never been regarded favourably ... for what ever reason and by whoever (who obviously hasnt cruised) i dont get it... at all. but imho just get on with it. get it up and running so they can get their livelihoods back... and lets get on with life

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Updated today - The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises against cruise ship travel at this time. This is due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

I wonder how many other countries will follow.  Bad press for the cruise industry for sure.  If the CDC issues a similar advisory for the US, the cruise industry might as well pack up, IMHO. 

"The UK Government has updated its guidance for cruise ships, advising all British people to avoid travelling on them.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said the new information was “due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England” and that they would “continue to review its cruise ship travel advice”.

It added: “[The FCO] continues to support the Department for Transport’s work with industry for the resumption of international cruise travel.”

One cruise insider told The Telegraph that this is “the last thing cruise needs right now” and that they expect cruise lines to be “privately furious”.

Previous advice from the FCO, which was issued on March 12 as the industry paused operations across the globe in response to the spread of Covid-19, stated that British nationals aged 70 and above – and those with underlying health conditions – should not travel on cruise ships...."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/government-fco-foreign-office-updated-new-advice-no-travel-on-cruise-ships/

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Follow???  Canada has had that warning out since March.

Understood that was back in March due to the Diamond Princess fiasco.  Fast forward to July when the CDC no sail order is about to expire and cruising to resume - a government issues this type of warning for the first time...more powerful blow to the cruise industry IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Understood that was back in March due to the Diamond Princess fiasco.  Fast forward to July when the CDC no sail order is about to expire and cruising to resume - a government issues this type of warning for the first time...more powerful blow to the cruise industry IMHO. 

The Canadian government issued the advice against cruising due to the coronavirus pandemic, not any specific cruise event i.e. Diamond Princess.  The advice has been in place for the better part of four months now and I do not expect it to be lifted for a very long time.  Canada did not/does not have anything in place like the CDC’s no sail order. which allows for the possibility that cruise lines can sprinkle loads of fairy dust on their ships to make them ‘safe’; our ports were simply closed to cruise ships until the end of October.  I think it’s unlikely any ship will be coming here after that. even if the ports are opened.  In my view, the UK has been kind of slow on this mode of transportation and has not demonstrated any particular leadership here.

17 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Unless traveling from one of the 60+ countries in the exceptiond list 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#countries-and-territories-with-no-self-isolation-on-return-to-england 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, Lindypops said:

Yet they have allowed and are stillallowing thousands of people to fly into the country with no checks.

What do you expect from politicians.😄