New CDC Order

Bill Miller

No surprise.  Does this fall in line with the CLIA timeline?  I can't keep all the dates straight.  I guess the good news is that it's not another 100 days...

This just bought more time for embarkation ports to get their COVID numbers down and cruise ships to further prepare.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

No USA sailing till October 1st.

New CDC.PNG

• or maybe when the  CDD  gets  its act together on testing...still falling short!
Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, hcat said:

• or maybe when the  CDD  gets  its act together on testing...still falling short!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/cdc-bans-us-cruises-through-september-citing-expanding-coronavirus-outbreaks.html

I suspect that the cruiselines will first have to demonstrate they can control COVID-19 on ship with passengers.

Hard to see how the cruise lines are going to make it safe to accept passengers on board, when, according to this story, they have not completely eliminated outbreaks among the crew almost 4 months after they shut down. Not encouraging.

"9 ships still have ongoing or resolving COVID-19 outbreaks on board"

• Like 3

Thank you npcl for the link. Interesting reading. I agree with your point about the ongoing outbreaks on ships not being a good sign. 
As a side note, I did see on Captain Kate’s Instagram feed that the Edge has recently begun taking on new crew members, apparently to replace other crew who are finally getting to go home. 

For those that have been wondering what has been occurring since the April 15 order, read the new extension document.

It does have some rather interesting reading concerning events and the status of cruise line plans.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf

Pages 7 - 10 show some of what has or has not been happening.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, npcl said:

For those that have been wondering what has been occurring since the April 15 order, read the new extension document.

It does have some rather interesting reading concerning events and the status of cruise line plans.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf

That certainly is one piece of bureaucratic BS, that I've ever see.  🍷

• Like 3

It appears that we are going nowhere in the 2020. If a ship sails in 2020, the passenger restrictions will probably so severe that cruising as we know it will be gone. The only thing that will save the situation is an effective vaccine. Maybe 2021 will be better. We have a November cruise that is a 50/50 right now as we see it.

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Not surprised and fully expected. Take a looks around. The U.S is one large disjointed ping pong ball when it comes to this virus. With the current situation I don’t expect any cruises until the second quarter of 2021 if we’re lucky. 

Agree.  Until there is a vaccine how can the cruiselines possibly come up with a plan to avoid COVID.

As an aside, have been travelling in Western US for some weeks.  Have met dozens of people who stated they had a flu like illness in the spring.  Symptoms varied from mild to what most reported as 7-10 days of being VERY sick.  This might mean herd immunity could be a bit closer.

We moved all back to July of 2021.

9 hours ago, npcl said:

Thanks for the link.  

This report is the depressing thing I've read about Covid on cruise ships.   I didn't realize that there are still ships with active Covid cases among the crew.  I  also never heard that the transmission on the Diamond Princess was 3.7 time higher than the transmission rate in Wuhan at the peak of the problem.  It was amazing that the cruise line were violating or misinterpreting many of the CDC rules including basic rules like closing self-service buffets for the crew on-board.  If the cruise lines can't follow the rules for the remaining crew on the ships do we have any hope of the cruise lines following the rules with passengers? 

It's now becoming obvious that cruising won't resume without a vaccine.  I'll suggest that all crew and passengers will need to provide documentation of a vaccine before anyone boards a ship. 

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Wine-O said:

That certainly is one piece of bureaucratic BS, that I've ever see.  🍷

They sure write long winded reports/regulations/ justification for  their action etc,...but  sadly could not get the testing  done right in a timely fashion.

I  agree  with " IPee " about the cruise line lapses being depressing and  they do not encourage confidence for the future.

Not looking good for  early 2021.  More cancellations and  delayed refunds lie ahead, We are going to inquire if we can use our fcc ( which expires 12/3/ 21) in 2022 or possibly get it refunded. ( fat chance!)

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hcat said:

Lovely.. it may just go on and on

We may as well kiss our January 2021 cruise goodbye!

Most certainly. One only has to look at how far we've come in the last 6 months then project that forward another 6 months. Try for 2022?

• Like 1

Interesting read... from the long document:

The difficulty to date of cruise ship operators to submit and adhere to appropriate NSO response plans during a time of limited operations, as well as ongoing concerns relating to non-compliance with disease prevention protocols and continued outbreaks of COVID-19 onboard cruise ships, highlight the need for further action prior to resuming passenger operations.

• Like 1

Cruise lines appear to be cutting their own throats.  Little actual response to the NSO directive.  No real changes in procedures. Whining about social distancing and mask wearing for the crew. etc.  Doesn't bode well for a return to cruising in any real form, much less what it was pre-Covid-19.  And with many of the Caribbean ports closed that option for sailing from Florida ports is out.  Not that one could possibly sail out of Florida with infection cases spiking in its port counties.  Then there is the reduction on numbers of ships even trying to achieve compliance with CDC directives - about half of those sailing pre-Covid-19.  Its as if the cruise lines are not trying - or they are finding with the current ships structures its nearly impossible to manage "social distancing," and safe contact procedures for crew, much less potential passengers.  It appears that it will be a long time before any form ao cruising returns.  In the meantime, cruise lines are not refunding monies and asking us to buy more cruises.  Ponzi scheme if there ever was one...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hcat said:

They sure write long winded reports/regulations/ justification for  their action etc,...but  sadly could not get the testing  done right in a timely fashion.

I  agree  with " IPee " about the cruise line lapses being depressing and  they do not encourage confidence for the future.

Not looking good for  early 2021.  More cancellations and  delayed refunds lie ahead, We are going to inquire if we can use our fcc ( which expires 12/3/ 21) in 2022 or possibly get it refunded. ( fat chance!)

Please let us know. I asked this question in an email and never heard back.

• Like 1

Although this extension through Sept 30 was not really a surprise (CLIA had previously announced Sept 15), It seems that the optimism on this forum has been mostly defeated and now reality is truly taking hold.  Speaking of the US only scenarios under authority of the CDC, the most optimistic case to me is Jan 2021.  The perhaps realistic scenario is No Vaccine No Cruise.  It is really hard to see how many cruise lines will survive this.  Sorry for being a downer today.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Cruise lines appear to be cutting their own throats.  Little actual response to the NSO directive.  No real changes in procedures. Whining about social distancing and mask wearing for the crew. etc.  Doesn't bode well for a return to cruising in any real form, much less what it was pre-Covid-19.  And with many of the Caribbean ports closed that option for sailing from Florida ports is out.  Not that one could possibly sail out of Florida with infection cases spiking in its port counties.  Then there is the reduction on numbers of ships even trying to achieve compliance with CDC directives - about half of those sailing pre-Covid-19.  Its as if the cruise lines are not trying - or they are finding with the current ships structures its nearly impossible to manage "social distancing," and safe contact procedures for crew, much less potential passengers.  It appears that it will be a long time before any form ao cruising returns.  In the meantime, cruise lines are not refunding monies and asking us to buy more cruises.  Ponzi scheme if there ever was one...

I thought some domestic cruising was starting this month ?

4 hours ago, hcat said:

I found this on the X website under FCC FAQ's:

Future Cruise Credits are valid through 2021, but do they have to be used on a sailing in 2021?

No. Bookings made using an FCC received from a canceled sailing due to our suspension of operations may be used on a sailing that commences on or before May 4th, 2022.

So it seems you are able to use it in 2022.