Once Covid Vaccine comes out, would you be 1st in line?

On 8/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Because one measurement of success is developing antibodies. It's not neccesarily required to be exposed to determine effectiveness. They don't test bullet proof vests by requiring someone to be shot while wearing them!

Actually, the true measure of effectiveness is whether or not the developed antibodies prevent acquiring the disease.  That's why much of the U or Oxford phase III is being done in South Africa and Brazil where there is broader exposure to the virus.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 4:26 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

So many people have indicated that they won’t cruise until we have a Covid vaccine

Question is once a vaccine is developed, approved and available , would you necessarily be one of the 1st ones in line to get a vaccine so you can cruise?

Or would you be apt to wait and see how it goes ?

When I was 18 (many many years ago) and joined the Army, my father gave me some advice that I still tend to follow even now. He said "Never be first in line, and never volunteer for anything." So, with those words of wisdom in mind, I will not be among the first to get the vaccine. I'll wait and see how well it works (or doesn't work) for others. 

On 8/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, cruisemom42 said:

That's not how studies like these work. They can't change the protocol or the endpoints midway through.

But again, I do doubt whether this will really be an issue. The virus is contagious enough that with a large study they will be able to determine whether the vaccine works or not and to what degree (in the given circumstances).

They could use a cross-over study design.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:24 PM, sanger727 said:

I was simply making a point. I think you understand the point I was making. I’ve heard multiple times from multiple places that there are hurdles to phase 3 and this is one of them. For ‘how contagious’ this virus is, only 1.5% of the US who has ‘handled if the worst’ have caught it. So they will be working off the slimmest of percentages. Yes, I understand how statistical significance works. But there are possible reasons for while a 50% effective vaccine may not achieve statistical significance if the sheer rareness of infection in the tested population is to low. 

Actually a 50% effectiveness of a vaccine is considered pretty good clinical significance which is also considered in the overall picture and analysis, not only stats . Best case if the data in research is statistcally significant but some aren't. Also the rigur and robustness of the study design are looked at.

Most of the flu vaccines we get once a year are less than that. Covid vaccine may be an annual just like the flu.

When the vaccines become available they will be well tested. It does not do a pharm company any good to put out a bad, untested product, the company would be ruined and we know they are about money.  The life saving is a bonus. lol 

I will get it as soon as they let me.

Stay safe all!

On 8/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Are you sure that’s not how they test bullet proof vests ?  In can’t say you’d have a lot of volunteers 😂

Not test, but the owner of Second Chance, one of the early vest manufacturers used to market them this way to police departments.  He would shoot himself.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, drsel said:

I would be first in line to take the vaccine

So will two of my very high risk relatives.  They have basically sheltered at home since March, rarely going anywhere.  They know the virus can go right through those masks, so their choice is to distance themselves as much as possible.  Because I get their groceries, I have been extra careful myself and have no issue getting the vaccine once it becomes available.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:54 AM, SRF said:

Not test, but the owner of Second Chance, one of the early vest manufacturers used to market them this way to police departments.  He would shoot himself.

Same for maker of SawStop table saws.   Initially they were pushing oscar mayer wieners into the blade.  They the guy used his finger.  Gives me the willies.

No plan to rush to get in line for a vaccine that will require a 100% waiver of liability, be required by the government to go to school or out in public, and to a company that has financial growth for something 100% funded by the taxpayers. This is how Big Pharma is bending the citizens over. Just do a little research on insulin to get an understanding of what and how the US has been bought out.

• Like 1

"Once Covid Vaccine comes out, would you be 1st in line?"

Mrs Ldubs and I have discussed this.  Mrs Ldubs says definitely not.  I can honestly say I'm a definite maybe.  I think I would take one of the initial doses unless there were some known side effects that would be bad for my situation.   

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

"Once Covid Vaccine comes out, would you be 1st in line?"

Mrs Ldubs and I have discussed this.  Mrs Ldubs says definitely not.  I can honestly say I'm a definite maybe.  I think I would take one of the initial doses unless there were some known side effects that would be bad for my situation.   

And how long would it take for side effects to finally show up since it's a new vaccine? 

That's definitely why I'll wait and see what happens with those first in line.:classic_wink:

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

And how long would it take for side effects to finally show up since it's a new vaccine? 

That's definitely why I'll wait and see what happens with those first in line.:classic_wink:

Trials will disclose side effects.  Some side effects might not be known until after the trials and the vaccine has been in use.   I don't know how long it will take for all potential side effects to show up.  10 years?    

Anyway, it all comes down to personal choice.  I understand and respect your choice.    

• Like 1

Unless you are a vaccine trial volunteer most of us are not going to be first in line. Also expect the vaccine will be in short supply at the beginning. First in line will be medical workers and essential workers. Second in line will be vulnerable people. By the time we get it any side effects will be well known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So what will the impact be to societal herd immunity of a large group of individualist folks exercise their right to choose and opt out?    What is the implication to those countries in the larger world society?

On 8/8/2020 at 3:58 AM, sanger727 said:

Or you’ll get the placebo...

im curious about if when you do a trial they give you instructions to be less diligent about social distancing. One of the reasons I read that phase 3 trials could be tough is based on how well people social distances. If you live your life in a way where you only have a 5% chance of being infected anyway, how easy will it be to tell of the vaccine made a difference

The form I filled out to be considered for trials asked questions about what my exposure was. E.g. questions about how many people outside your home you interact with, how many people are in your household, similar questions about the exposure of the other people in your household. I expect that they will be likely to chose the people who's current jobs/habits/activities already give them more exposure. Since we are able to be very socially distanced, I doubt that I'll be chosen.

I don't expect that they will tell people in the trial to change what they are doing to get more exposure. Since some will get the placebo, it wouldn't be responsible to put them at risk. While antibody tests provide some indication of immunity, they don't tell the whole story so the trials require people that have some exposure. 

I would participate in a trial given the opportunity and I will get a vaccine as soon as one is available. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chipmaster said:

So what will the impact be to societal herd immunity of a large group of individualist folks exercise their right to choose and opt out?    What is the implication to those countries in the larger world society?

Are you certain that there will be a “...right to choose and opt out.”  Certainly, it is unlikely that many societies will mandate immunizations across the board - but responsible societies may impose conditions on those wishing to opt out-   such as not permitting entering schools, utilizing public transportation, etc.  Of course, if COVID fades, such approaches may not be necessary - but if it remains the threat it presently presents such actions may be taken.