Seasickness, the patch, and the front of the ship...

Vibrantvirgo81

On my first cruise I got seasick. The ginger tablets from the  medical area helped A TON, but sadly by that time it was the end of day 3 of our 4 day cruise. Our upcoming cruise is 5 days and we booked a ocean scenic view which is at the front of the ship. The Carnival lady who booked it for me said if I have the patch (which I plan on getting) I should be fine. Can anyone confirm? What are good ways that you fight the seasickness and still enjoy all aspects of the ship? 

I'm hoping it's not going to be too difficult to get the patch from my Dr but I've never done this before so...I'm a bit nervous. I guess if all else fails I'll just be popping ginger pills like candy! Lol. 

The effectiveness of the patch (scoplamine) can vary with the individual, but it should be better than ginger pills or other homeopathic remedies. It should be easy to get a script for it from your doctor.  There were some shortages of the patch about a year ago, but I don't know what its availability is now.  One side effect is getting thirsty, but you're not supposed to drink a lot of alcohol when you wear the patch.

In any case, why take a forward cabin?  Spare yourself any anxiety or worry.  Ask about moving to a mid ship middeck balcony if you can afford it, or an aft OV. Then you'll just worry about whether your ship sails and how safe COVID wise you'll be.

I get seasick and haven't had any issues forward or aft cabins. Frankly, for me, it's not lying in bed in my cabin that bothers me. It's sitting in and trying to function in the dining room/theater/lounges/etc when the ship is rocking back and forth. You spend so much time out of your cabin, I don't personally worry about cabin location. I have used the patch and bonine. The patch worked well for me except it gave me dry mouth. I haven't particularly heard anyone say that the patch didn't work well for them, only that for some people the side effects were too much. I would absolutely bring bonine on either way. 1 pill twice a day starting the day before I board is what I do now that works well for me. And if the patch ends up being too hard for you to get or has side effects that cause you to stop it, you'll have the bonine option as a backup.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, evandbob said:

In any case, why take a forward cabin?  Spare yourself any anxiety or worry.  Ask about moving to a mid ship middeck balcony if you can afford it, or an aft OV. Then you'll just worry about whether your ship sails and how safe COVID wise you'll be.

I took the forward cabin for the view, it's a scenic ocean view so the window is floor to ceiling pretty much. When I asked the Carnival rep I mentioned my concern and she said with the patch I'll be fine and the room won't be an issue. I've never actually been on the front of the ship much (our last cruise was 6  yrs ago) so I just wasn't sure. I've heard certain areas are better than others but I have yet to read how it compares with/without the patch or other aids. 

20 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I get seasick and haven't had any issues forward or aft cabins. Frankly, for me, it's not lying in bed in my cabin that bothers me. It's sitting in and trying to function in the dining room/theater/lounges/etc when the ship is rocking back and forth. You spend so much time out of your cabin, I don't personally worry about cabin location. I have used the patch and bonine. The patch worked well for me except it gave me dry mouth. I haven't particularly heard anyone say that the patch didn't work well for them, only that for some people the side effects were too much. I would absolutely bring bonine on either way. 1 pill twice a day starting the day before I board is what I do now that works well for me. And if the patch ends up being too hard for you to get or has side effects that cause you to stop it, you'll have the bonine option as a backup.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and tips. I was not expecting to get seasick so I was completely unprepared and don't want to make that mistake again!  

I've been on boats before so I figured if I can handle a boat on a lake/river then this should be fine. Boy was I wrong! Lol. 

The scopolamine patch administrates the powerful drug.

You might try some more of these.

Bonine - non sleepy

Dramamine/Gravol - sleepy
Green apple
Ginger candy, gum, pickled, pills
Ginger ale or seven up
Salty snack
Peppermints
Gin & Tonic or other favorite
Ginger tea
Sea band pressure point
Horizon eye concentration 
Benadryl

• Thanks 1

I would suggest doing a search about seasickness remedies- there have been many on this site. Going from ginger pills to the patch is a little like going from a fly swatter to a sledge hammer; skipping all the intermediate tools. The patch can have some troubling side effects, and contrary to a PP, not all doctors are ready to freely prescribe it; especially for seniors. 

Finding the right remedy for you (effective, with the least side effects) is often trial and error. For me, Bonine  (less drowsy Dramamine,  Meclizine) started the day before embarkation and taken every night at bedtime) has worked best. And I can still enjoy a couple of alcoholic beverages without a problem.

Whatever pharmaceutical you choose, try it out in the safety of your home before beginning your cruise, to see if there are any unwanted side effects.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mom says said:

I would suggest doing a search about seasickness remedies- there have been many on this site. Going from ginger pills to the patch is a little like going from a fly swatter to a sledge hammer; skipping all the intermediate tools. The patch can have some troubling side effects, and contrary to a PP, not all doctors are ready to freely prescribe it; especially for seniors. 

Finding the right remedy for you (effective, with the least side effects) is often trial and error. For me, Bonine  (less drowsy Dramamine,  Meclizine) started the day before embarkation and taken every night at bedtime) has worked best. And I can still enjoy a couple of alcoholic beverages without a problem.

Whatever pharmaceutical you choose, try it out in the safety of your home before beginning your cruise, to see if there are any unwanted side effects.

Thank you very much! I was just thinking the patch because I've heard that works really well. I'll look into some other, less drastic, options. :) I do have some time yet before our cruise. I'm not a senior, yet, I'll be 40 when we go on the cruise, but still good info to have. I did try something prior to the ginger tablets, but it made me very drowsy and was likely too late. From the bit of research I've done already it seems the key is taking it the morning of or day before you set sail.
I love your idea to try it out before, that's smart. ;)
I appreciate your help!

My wife and some friends have used a homeopathic patch that they said worked great. The prescription patch can really have a negative side effects like drowsiness and can be compounded by alcohol.

Link to non prescription motion sickness patch...

https://www.amazon.com/MQ-Motion-Sickness-Patch-Count/dp/B00RHJKGE2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=homeopathic+seasickness+patch&qid=1597943753&sr=8-4

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

mom's advice (perfect screen name in this case) is worth listening to. Try it at home first, make sure it does not knock you out or cause other unwanted side effects. Amusingly, one of the side effects of some motion sickness medications is nausea. I would discount health advice from a cruise line's sales staff.

I advise against homeopathic medicine. True homeopathic medicine has been diluted to the point where the active ingredient is not detectable (but the water remembers that it was there!), https://quackwatch.org/related/homeo/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vibrantvirgo81 said:

On my first cruise I got seasick. The ginger tablets from the  medical area helped A TON, but sadly by that time it was the end of day 3 of our 4 day cruise. Our upcoming cruise is 5 days and we booked a ocean scenic view which is at the front of the ship. The Carnival lady who booked it for me said if I have the patch (which I plan on getting) I should be fine. Can anyone confirm? What are good ways that you fight the seasickness and still enjoy all aspects of the ship? 

I'm hoping it's not going to be too difficult to get the patch from my Dr but I've never done this before so...I'm a bit nervous. I guess if all else fails I'll just be popping ginger pills like candy! Lol. 

Ginger root capsules.I take 2 a day beginning 3 days prior to cruising.

• Like 1

Many years ago I tried the "patch" it affected my vision and equilibrium. If necessary now (and it usually isn't) I tend to use a chewable raspberry flavored Bonine found at Walmart as well as many stores.

I would check with your personal health care provider for the options for you personally.

• Like 1

A few years ago one of the ladies at our dinning room table was having some seasickness problems. I suggested changing seats so she would be facing forward, toward the bow of the ship rather than sideways. She said it did help. 

It would be an easy thing to try any time you are sitting down. If you are sitting across the ship it is a bit like riding sideways in a car or bus. I hope this helps. Like I said it would be easy to try and doesn't cost anything or involve taking any medicine.

• Like 3

The patch for me & my wife is our "lifeboat". Really, we can't go on a cruise without it. I know it works for us because a long time ago we went on a "boat" shore excursion and we were bouncing all around and never felt sick, scared but not sick. Used it ever since. Yes a Dr. will prescribe it for you. 

21 hours ago, Pilot in Texas said:

A few years ago one of the ladies at our dinning room table was having some seasickness problems. I suggested changing seats so she would be facing forward, toward the bow of the ship rather than sideways. She said it did help. 

It would be an easy thing to try any time you are sitting down. If you are sitting across the ship it is a bit like riding sideways in a car or bus. I hope this helps. Like I said it would be easy to try and doesn't cost anything or involve taking any medicine.

It might have been the fact you were in a dinning room. That will make anyone sick in the head. 

(sorry, I found it too easy) 

enjoy your cruises. “When” you can. 

1 hour ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

The patch for me & my wife is our "lifeboat". Really, we can't go on a cruise without it. I know it works for us because a long time ago we went on a "boat" shore excursion and we were bouncing all around and never felt sick, scared but not sick. Used it ever since. Yes a Dr. will prescribe it for you. 

Take the patch if you must, but the dr in the house suggests try a few other remedies first. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Take the patch if you must, but the dr in the house suggests try a few other remedies first. 

I have tried Bonine and others but as I said previously the patch has proven for us that it works. Not saying it works for everyone

On 8/20/2020 at 5:39 AM, Vibrantvirgo81 said:

....I've heard certain areas are better than others but I have yet to read how it compares with/without the patch or other aids. 

Front of the ship = most "pitch." Add some "roll" and you'll find out why it's not the best location. An additional consideration, depending on how far forward and how low a deck you've chosen will be occasional chain noise involved in anchoring.

• Like 1

get the patch and try a dry run ... at home .... determine if it is right for you in a safe and known environment ....

and note that alcohol can significantly increase the severity of side effects .....

I've known plenty of people who use it routinely with great results.  

My father on the other hand - it hit him like a 6 martini lunch ...... he was found wondering around the ship in the wee hours when his Mrs noted he wasn't in bed anymore ..... he had a 6 hour 'blackout' ... remembers nothing ...

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

The patch is best for the 3-5% of cruisers who have the inner ear problem. My BF has it and will need to spend $500 for patches  for WC coming up. He buys it online from Canada at reduced pricing, no perscription necessary up there                                                                                                                                 .One problem from local pharmacies  in US  is being sold old pills which have lost their effectiveness.

Edited by zoncom
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 7:27 AM, Vibrantvirgo81 said:

The patch has lots of side effects. There are a number of OTC meds that are very effective without the side effects. I would start with something like Bonine and only move to the patch if that doesn't work.

• Like 1

What's the route?   We experience little or no motion sickness inside the Gulf of Mexico, the Baltic Sea or the Med... but more out on the open ocean.

My senior mom and teen daughter both turned green as we rounded Gibraltar, when the wind and current moved the ship in what felt like random directions.

Both now wear Sea Bands (either the firm plastic that snap or the elastic bands) and get good results. No complications with other medications, and the relief is fairly quick, according to daughter.  She now puts them on at the pier, and wears them any time the ship is away from the pier.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

What's the route?   We experience little or no motion sickness inside the Gulf of Mexico, the Baltic Sea or the Med... but more out on the open ocean.

My senior mom and teen daughter both turned green as we rounded Gibraltar, when the wind and current moved the ship in what felt like random directions.

Both now wear Sea Bands (either the firm plastic that snap or the elastic bands) and get good results. No complications with other medications, and the relief is fairly quick, according to daughter.  She now puts them on at the pier, and wears them any time the ship is away from the pier.

Our first cruise was in early Oct from Long Beach to Catalina Island and Ensenada and back. Our upcoming cruise is early May from Miami going to Nassau, Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk.