Was your first cruise pre or post Love boat tv show?

George C

24 minutes ago, George C said:

Love boat tv started September 1977? Anybody cruise before that.

I did a cruise to nowhere in 1975 and first 7 day cruise a few months before premier. Lots of singles on both with women out numbering men by a lot . 

24 minutes ago, George C said:

I did a cruise to nowhere in 1975 and first 7 day cruise a few months before premier. Lots of singles on both with women out numbering men by a lot . 

1973,Cunard Ambassador,Manhattan to Bermuda with Class A entertainment.A 7 night cruise for $699.00 taxes included for my wife and I.

I was a small child when I took my first cruise in 1981 (Cunard Princess), but I inherited my passion for ships from my dad who used to tell me stories from his younger years, crossing the Atlantic aboard ocean liners. 

He was aboard the Ile de France when they rescued the passengers from the ill fated Andrea Doria in 1956. He still has the original photos of the Andrea Doria sinking. I love listening to his stories about this sailing as well as many others.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Waaaaaay after.  My first cruise was 2008.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

1973,Cunard Ambassador,Manhattan to Bermuda with Class A entertainment.A 7 night cruise for $699.00 taxes included for my wife and I.

My cruise in 1977 on the great Rotterdam was 600 which was the single rate couples paid 400 drinks were about a buck beer less. 

Watched the Love Boat regularly.... and at that time never thought about going on a cruise.....

it seam only for the wealthy......... and a different world to me then....  Tv Land ??

Only 35 year later  did one start looking at cruising... talk about delay respond.... LOL  

As i say why didn't we go cruising earlier???? 

well we weren't retired  and can now  have as many holiday as one likes...

Cheers Don 

• Like 1

I did my first cruise in 1972 as a young child with my parents (Emerald Seas); next year we sailed with Sitmar (Fairwind) for the first time and it was even better -- we stuck with them doing at least a cruise a year throughout the 1970s.

My mother and grandmother had done trans-Atlantics previously on several lines including Cunard and Holland America.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

My first Cruises were in 1972, long before The Love Boat.  When it started, I was in Germany and I don’t believe it was carried onArmed Forces Network.  I had poor tv reception there, anyway.  Never watched it after I got home.  EM

I saw the first Ali vs Frazier fight in 1971 on armed forces tv, in Germany just before my tour there finished and I went home. It was something like 3 am .

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Frist cruise was 2002 for our 25th anniversary, so after. But, sort of irrelevant since I have never watched the show. Am I the only one in here who can say (write) that?

Nope.  I never had a tv between 1961 (college) and 1982 (married a man with a tv).  I'm missing a lot of culture.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You are younger than me😀

I am!  I was an adult when Love Boat aired.  We didn't take our first cruise until I was in my 40's.  It was considered too extravagant to even be considered before then. 

I too was an adult when Love Boat aired.If you read my post re my first cruise in 1973 it was very cheap for that cruise.There were no specialty restaurants,no shore excursions,no shopping areas.The next time we cruised was 1994 and everything changed.

I am not asking your age but I assume you were an adult in 1973.I define adult as 18 .

16 hours ago, George C said:

SS Uganda in 1976 and SS Oriana 1977. In my experience, at least on P&O ships, single ladies outnumbering men was very common back in the 70's & 80's.

Love Boat filming was mostly completed on the original Pacific Princess and Island Princess, with most of it on Pacific. Spent 4 months on Island in 1979 and another 4 months on Sun Princess in 1980. Brilliant ships.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I too was an adult when Love Boat aired.If you read my post re my first cruise in 1973 it was very cheap for that cruise.There were no specialty restaurants,no shore excursions,no shopping areas.The next time we cruised was 1994 and everything changed.

I am not asking your age but I assume you were an adult in 1973.I define adult as 18 .

Ask away.  I'm 68 until my next B-day in December.   Our first few cruises were short hops out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) mostly as a get together for our kids & family.  We had done several land trips to Europe before we finally decided to try a Med cruise.   That was the one that really got us hooked.  

Looks like there are four pre-LB cruisers now.  We need to come up with a good name for this select group!  Maybe like star trek fans are called Trekkies, we can call this group "Lovies".  

47 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Ask away.  I'm 68 until my next B-day in December.   Our first few cruises were short hops out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) mostly as a get together for our kids & family.  We had done several land trips to Europe before we finally decided to try a Med cruise.   That was the one that really got us hooked.  

Looks like there are four pre-LB cruisers now.  We need to come up with a good name for this select group!  Maybe like star trek fans are called Trekkies, we can call this group "Lovies".  

When people occasionally ask me how old I am I respond with a music or sports reference ,something that I know they would be familiar with.If I was responding to you I might say older than Lloyd Free but younger than Bill Russell.😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tapi said:

I was a small child when I took my first cruise in 1981 (Cunard Princess), but I inherited my passion for ships from my dad who used to tell me stories from his younger years, crossing the Atlantic aboard ocean liners. 

He was aboard the Ile de France when they rescued the passengers from the ill fated Andrea Doria in 1956. He still has the original photos of the Andrea Doria sinking. I love listening to his stories about this sailing as well as many others.

Oh I would love to hear those stories and those pictures must be amazing.

I grew up a child of the 70's & 80's and my family never traveled outside of visiting my mothers parents in the UP of Michigan once a year. I loved watching the Love Boat and wondering what kind of people could actually cruise, let alone travel outside of the UP.
Fast forward to my 30's and I jokingly asked my wife if she wanted to go on a cruise for our 10th anniversary (we still had not had our honeymoon) and she said yes. I was shocked and I must say it was well worth the wait. Just wonderful memories.

• Like 1