FAT Brands (FAT) acquires Johnny Rockets

firefly333

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think that's the only place to get a real burger. I would rather pay for lunch in chops than pay for Johnny Rockets. 

MDR has surprisingly good burgers at lunch on sea days. Comparative speaking that is, to WJ or Labadee. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mets07 said:

OK. I have only been on Carnival once (Horizon) but this is where they win hands-down. 

Guy's Burger Joint.  (Guy Fieri).  Freshly made-to-order, outside on pool deck. 

I still love Johnny Rocket's for outdoor breakfast!

Guys Burger Joint is absolutely not freshly made-to-order burgers.  They crank them out, place on a tray and serve from the tray.  Guy's is not better than JR's and really isn't a comparison as they are different concept.  Guy's is a buffet station, which makes it comparable to the Windjammer, and Guy's is obviously better hands down in that case.

Carnival's made to order pizzas though, now those are awesome!  Of course, waiting in a 2 hour line that wraps around the deck makes it not worth it, but yummy none-the-less.

Edited by BNBR

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I was born and raised in Corpus and that's where Whataburger started. Hubby hated them when he was in training there. There taquitos were the best over any other breakfast burrito around.

Best burger we've ever had was during lunch in the MDR on the Mariner Odyssey.  But we had 28 days to train them.😉

9 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Best burger I have had on a cruise ship was from the “Dive-In” poolside grill on Holland America. They are made to order, so you get a pager and they buzz you when your order is ready. 

Similar experience on Celebrity.  The Mast Grill made to order burgers were phenomenal.  But I guess that is expected when you sail upmarket lines.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, HBE4 said:

Often times, stuff like that varies across different locations. I had In-n-Out in Cali and it was pretty good. In Las Vegas, not so much. And that was after a day and night of drinking when everything and anything  usually tastes good to me. 😁

Same with 5 Guys. Good experience in Manhattan but awful at the airport - JFK, I think.

Any ship that sails from Galveston should have a Buc-ee's  in place pf JR.   Not the gas pumps or rest rooms but the brisket sandwiches. And Jerky. Now that's some food I'm missing right now!

On 9/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, HBE4 said:

Often times, stuff like that varies across different locations. I had In-n-Out in Cali and it was pretty good. In Las Vegas, not so much. And that was after a day and night of drinking when everything and anything  usually tastes good to me. 😁

Same with 5 Guys. Good experience in Manhattan but awful at the airport - JFK, I think.

Any ship that sails from Galveston should have a Buc-ee's  in place pf JR.   Not the gas pumps or rest rooms but the brisket sandwiches. And Jerky. Now that's some food I'm missing right now!

Five Guys in Long Beach,NY is great

On 9/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, HBE4 said:

Every White Castle burger I ever had seems to have more greasy onions than burger.  More of an Onion sandwich with a burger topping.

As for JR itself, meh! I wouldn't miss it. Honestly, all those fast causal burger joints - In&Out, What-a-burger, Smashburger, 5 Guys, etc - are interchangeable to me.

My days at White Castle were for the 4 cents burger and 10 cents Orange Crush.

I ate till I could not budge.

1 hour ago, whitshel said:

Agree'd with the Celebrity Mast Grill awesome fresh made burgers, dogs and fri's.  And up by the pool, very convenient.  Oh and free as well  🙂

And the cooks are more than willing to cook the 'burger your way. 

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 AM, sandebeach said:

Best burger I have had on a cruise ship was from the “Dive-In” poolside grill on Holland America. They are made to order, so you get a pager and they buzz you when your order is ready. 

On 9/30/2020 at 9:24 AM, BNBR said:

Similar experience on Celebrity.  The Mast Grill made to order burgers were phenomenal.  But I guess that is expected when you sail upmarket lines.

Yep, best two burger places we've experienced on ships.  Both had good fries too.

We used to do JR's once per cruise, but haven't for several years and won't again.  Last few cruises they haven't looked busy when we've walked by.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, Iamcruzin said:

To my surprise they were just as soggy and exactly like Windjammer burgers. I figured they would have  been better on a BBQ. 

You don't BBQ a hamburger, you put it on grill, or a flat-top.  You use a BBQ to SMOKE pork, briskets, chicken, sausages etc.

I remember back in the day when RCCL would put up a wood or charcoal grille on the lido deck and freshly cook hamburgers etc.