The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

So this is a little unorthodox - photo not taken on a river cruise but ocean cruise and not on a river. Photo is taken very close to water. Name the location and the name of the sculpture (this is a cropped version of it - it is larger than what is shown). Using notamermaid's requirements somewhat loosely here. 

P1000939.thumb.jpeg.40809dae8e2ba8aeaf6da7b55b99c324.jpeg

North Cape (Norway) Earth Children's Statue

• Like 1

Just now, capriccio said:

North Cape (Norway) Earth Children's Statue

You got it! Here is someone else's picture of the whole sculpture (my pics are not very clear due to fog):

Unknown-1.jpeg.d836df613fb4135ea10b76987cf1f8f2.jpeg

Edited by Coral

Coral - we were on the same cruise a year later and I remembered your many comments that were so helpful in our planning stage including your recommendation of Blue Puffin (IIRC) as a tour guide for the North Cape.

I don’t have access to our pictures right now so I declare a wild card!  

14 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Coral - we were on the same cruise a year later and I remembered your many comments that were so helpful in our planning stage including your recommendation of Blue Puffin (IIRC) as a tour guide for the North Cape.

I don’t have access to our pictures right now so I declare a wild card!  

I had hoped to be on your cruise - I wanted to do it again because in so many ports I had multiple things I wanted to see. Also, on your cruise, you went to Flam and ours did not. I had to cancel due to work. I tried to post a picture from the ferry in Stavanger (Preikestolen) but my picture kept turning sideways when posting it.

I hope you enjoyed Blue Puffin's tour. I only wish it was a smaller bus. Though the Princess tour had no extra stops and no commentary.

I still want to go back to Norway. My next trip has to include Flam, North Cape/Honningsvag (so I get better weather), Stavanger so I can go to the gardens there (Flor og Fjære) and Bergen because I went out of town on an excursion and missed Bergen. I would do the same trip you went on in a heart beat (as it included Flam).

For those who have not done Norway - put it on your list. One of my favorite places.

Edited by Coral

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I had hoped to be on your cruise - I wanted to do it again because in so many ports I had multiple things I wanted to see. Also, on your cruise, you went to Flam and ours did not. I had to cancel due to work. I tried to post a picture from the ferry in Stavanger (Preikestolen) but my picture kept turning sideways when posting it.

I hope you enjoyed Blue Puffin's tour. I only wish it was a smaller bus. Though the Princess tour had no extra stops and no commentary.

I still want to go back to Norway. My next trip has to include Flam, North Cape/Honningsvag (so I get better weather), Stavanger so I can go to the gardens there (Flor og Fjære) and Bergen because I went out of town on an excursion and missed Bergen. I would do the same trip you went on in a heart beat (as it included Flam).

For those who have not done Norway - put it on your list. One of my favorite places.

If you find a cruise that starts in Bergen and doesn't do Flam, you can do it yourself by flying to Oslo and taking the Norway in a Nutshell train package to Bergen via Flam.

https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-tour/oslo/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you find a cruise that starts in Bergen and doesn't do Flam, you can do it yourself by flying to Oslo and taking the Norway in a Nutshell train package to Bergen via Flam.

https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-tour/oslo/

Yes - I knew that was an option! I did this cruise in 2018 and haven't been back to that area since. I still enjoyed this entire trip and going clear North. I just love fjords. Geriangerfjord is one of my favorites - my pics of Seven Sister waterfall was into the sun. So I must return!

I wish I lived on the East coast and had access to the flights you have. It takes me forever just to get to the coast to fly to Europe.

Must go buy groceries. We have ice coming soon.

Edited by Coral

19 minutes ago, Coral said:

I second your recommendation and will add a recommendation to cruise over the summer solstice.  The sun didn't set for 3 days on our cruise!  We did go to Flor og Fjaere in Stavanger and it is beautiful and quite amazing. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the Dutch and Viking history lessons. I learned so much from you!  We, took, had drinks with the Princess at the family castle on the Danube. We also enjoyed the ancient history section of the Louvre.  During our last visit there, we hit the painting gallery first and left as soon as the crowds were intolerable.  We had been there before so didn't feel the need to linger, and headed to the north wing, where we had the galleries almost to ourselves. I'm reading the book The Louvre by James Gardner, which traces the history of the Louvre from its earliest times to the present. May have more than you might have wanted to know, but I find it quite interesting.  I'm only at the time the Sun King added so much to it.

Here's a wild card photo, unless someone beats me to posting a new photo:

Name the river, city and location in the city.  

thumbnail.jpeg

That was fast Renmar!  Your turn.

The statue is of a Beguine, a member of a Catholic lay sisterhood, founded in 1346. The present Begijnhof features a peaceful green courtyard and houses from the 17th and 18th centuries, plus one built much earlier, predating the 1521 ban on wooden houses, to reduce the risk of fire. The houses were used by many generations of sisters, the last of whom died in 1971. Today 100 single women enjoy a peaceful place to live there, in the middle of the busy city. That’s my contribution to the history lessons. 🙂

45 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

The present Begijnhof features a peaceful green courtyard and houses from the 17th and 18th centuries, plus one built much earlier,

I've been there and didn't recognize the picture. Oops.

14 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Not Very peaceful with all the tourists gaping in the windows.

Doesn't that happen in a different part of Amsterdam? 😉 🚨

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

Very loosely I would say 😉.

Theo

She posted something recently that it could be on a body of water and not necessarily a river. I tried to post something else but the image didn't post in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I second your recommendation and will add a recommendation to cruise over the summer solstice.  The sun didn't set for 3 days on our cruise!  We did go to Flor og Fjaere in Stavanger and it is beautiful and quite amazing. 

That was amazing - ours was during that time also. I thought someone would figure it out but not within the first 5 minutes! I do recognize your name from the roll call.

29 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Jklc123,  the last time we were there there had to have been at least 4 guides with their groups.  The location is also listed in many of the what to see for free listings. You were lucky.

I guess so!

2 hours ago, jklc123 said:

That was fast Renmar!  Your turn.

The statue is of a Beguine, a member of a Catholic lay sisterhood, founded in 1346. The present Begijnhof features a peaceful green courtyard and houses from the 17th and 18th centuries, plus one built much earlier, predating the 1521 ban on wooden houses, to reduce the risk of fire. The houses were used by many generations of sisters, the last of whom died in 1971. Today 100 single women enjoy a peaceful place to live there, in the middle of the busy city. That’s my contribution to the history lessons. 🙂

Anybody that feels like taking my turn, go ahead I will have to wait a while (checking pictures).

Theo

You have all been really busy with photos, guesses and history lessons. That is lovely.

@dogs4fun you have been declared the winner of canal archives photo. Ready to post one or is the puppy keeping you very busy?

Zaanse Schans - What a picture perfect windmill of the Dutch type it is. I have been to a couple of windmills in Britain and I really like the one in Cranbrook, Kent. I once went to one in Sussex and found out that they used millstones from the volcanic Eifel region, which in global terms is just down the road from where I live. In the valleys in the Rhine region there was a focus on water mills (for obvious reasons). Seeing the many windmills in the Netherlands for the first time was quite an experience when I was young. And it is flat there! Where I live you cannot see far into the distance without your view hitting a good hill or drive for long in the car before you get to a road with a 12 percent or more gradient.

Anyway, over to you.

notamermaid