The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

47 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I'm pretty sure that @Renmar wins this round.

I am pretty sure it was a combined effort on this one, you mentioning the town and I got the name of the church. If you have a picture available right now go ahead and post. I have to search a lot through my pictures to come up with one that falls within the rules (never did a river cruise). You on the other hand has sooo many pictures (I looked at your SmugMug files, wonderful pictures). 

Theo

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

What a beautiful area this must be! The Google pictures are amazing. We need to drive through here, preferably in a new Audi. We've been close to this area a few times, but never on the shores of this particular See. So many places to visit, so little time...

Great picture, @Coral! Thanks for adding another place to my must-see list.

I didn't know this before and must not have paid attention to the beginning of the Sound of Music but the aerial pictures at the very beginning of the Sound of Music are from the Salzkammergut, Austria area.  You can see the lakes and such from that. It was fun to be in Salzburg and then the Lake district and then go back to my river cruise and watch the Sound of Music in my room.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Salzkammergut

Aach (sigh), all together now: "Im Weiißen Rössl am Wolfgangsee, da steeht das Glück vor der Tüür, ..."

Better if Peter Alexander sings:

It is an absolute classic and German tourists to the Salzkammergut have never looked back since. The film is still shown on German television occasionally. Remember: The Sound of Music musical never caught on and is relatively unknown. The film is shown, but is not so popular as a repeat.

@Coral I have been to Salzburg and the area but not for long, my memory of it is hazy, certainly a nice spot in this world, even compared to other spots in Austria.

notamermaid

38 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I have never watched the Sound of Music and had not heard of it until about six years ago.

notamermaid

It was/is popular in the US. Most here have seen it. I still watch it once a year or every few years.

When in Austria - we heard that it was not shown there and most Austrians think of it as a US/Hollywood over dramatization and think Americans are crazy for flocking to Austria to see sites where it was filmed. I enjoyed seeing where it was filmed and sites associated with it. There is a square in Austria that our guide told us it was quickly filmed to not bring a lot of attention to the locals. It was funny - we had 2 or 3 guides. One just hated questions about it and refused to talk about it so I went with the other guide who showed us several sites that were used in filming.

It may not be popular in Austria, but I find it strange that a guide should not want to show the sites, he/she is there to please the customers... It may be Hollywood but it is popular culture and pleasing to the eye and ear for so many people.

notamermaid

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coral said:When in Austria - we heard that it was not shown there and most Austrians think of it as a US/Hollywood over dramatization and think Americans are crazy for flocking to Austria to see sites where it was filmed. I enjoyed seeing where it was filmed and sites associated with it. There is a square in Austria that our guide told us it was quickly filmed to not bring a lot of attention to the locals. It was funny - we had 2 or 3 guides. One just hated questions about it and refused to talk about it so I went with the other guide who showed us several sites that were used in filming.

There are tons of Salzburg shops selling souvenirs with Sound of Music themes so the locals seem to have no issue with making a profit from visitor’s fondness for the movie.

Interesting that you had a guide that refused to cater to the interests of her charges - not a behavior I would expect from a good guide. I agree with notamermaid - a good guide should endeavor to please his/her customers.

Personally, I am not really interested in musical films but I know there are many people who love them (I love a good Broadway  musical  though). I have never been able to get through the entire SoM film - found it too much of a snooze fest - JMHO.  My mom loved the movie & was a big Julie Andrews fan. The Sound of Music debuted about 56 years ago - seems to have a fair amount of continued appeal in the states.

I've been lurking for a while as I've not had the ability to quickly identify anything or the time to sleuth it.  I just wanted to chime in that I grew up on Sound of Music and my best friend was one of 8 kids.  We played SoM regularly and I have the entire movie memorized.  My kids can not understand my love for it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

I've been lurking for a while as I've not had the ability to quickly identify anything or the time to sleuth it.  I just wanted to chime in that I grew up on Sound of Music and my best friend was one of 8 kids.  We played SoM regularly and I have the entire movie memorized.  My kids can not understand my love for it!

If I have a chance to post again - I may post a Sound of Music picture :) On our river cruise we did SofM trivia and sing along. It sounds dorky but was actually fun.

45 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@ljandgb, do you have any pics to post?  If you do, if I manage to get one right, I'll tag you to take my turn.  We need new players here with new pics. 🙂

@ljandgb good to read from you again.

Talking of pictures, I think we are eagerly awaiting one from jpalbny, right? Not that I wish to rush anyone.

notamermaid

29 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@ljandgb good to read from you again.

Talking of pictures, I think we are eagerly awaiting one from jpalbny, right? Not that I wish to rush anyone.

notamermaid

If @jpalbny does not want to post yet then I could post a picture. Finally found something I can use.

Theo

If there were a SoM singalong anywhere around me, my kids would die of mortification.  I'd be loud and proud, if only for all the great childhood memories.  I'd love a SoM tour.

I can scare up some pictures if needed, but let's let @jpalbny or @renmar try to find one first.

Thanks for the shoutout, @notamermaid.  We were hit pretty hard by the storm in Texas. It's just been a very busy, weird time.

Edited by ljandgb

1 minute ago, ljandgb said:

If there were a SoM singalong anywhere around me, my kids would die of mortification.  I'd be loud and proud, if only for all the great childhood memories.  I'd love a SoM tour.

I can scare up some pictures if needed, but let's let @jpalbny or @renmar try to find one first.

I would also love a SoM tour. Ours wasn't but our guide was good to point things out along the way. We saw the SoM bus when in the Lake District also. Must go back to Salzburg to do the tour.

We had a Music teacher on our cruise and she played the piano and led the singalong so it was fun. I think she asked to do it as opposed to cruise staff.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

No, it's @Renmar'Renmar's turn, or a wild card. I've posted close to 30 pix on this thread already so trying to give others a chance. That's why I didn't give the full identification of the church.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

No, it's @Renmar'Renmar's turn, or a wild card. I've posted close to 30 pix on this thread already so trying to give others a chance. That's why I didn't give the full identification of the church.

Ah, okay, thank you. @Renmar I cannot see your photo, I think there may be something wrong with the upload.

notamermaid