The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I will pick up the wildcard, just to keep this going.

If you can name the town and river this is located on you can post the next photo.

RB

(I may not be around for the next 12 hours to check on your guesses)

DSC05236.JPG

We are on page 117, relief. :classic_wink: Thanks for picking this up. The red cross on white looks familiar - not because it is St. George's Cross. I am not sure what it means here. Some town's history, I suppose. German?

notamermaid

Beautiful historical piece for sure. There are lots of inscriptions that could help identify, but I had to put on my reading glasses and blow up the picture a lot. Still I can make out enough to identify that it's in German, and I see enough to find the name of a town, and collaborate with some of the landmarks.

This is a stop along the Mosel that we have not visited, but our Rhine Cruise tour director says it's her favorite place. On our list!

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

We are on page 117, relief. :classic_wink: Thanks for picking this up. The red cross on white looks familiar - not because it is St. George's Cross. I am not sure what it means here. Some town's history, I suppose. German?

notamermaid

Is that not just down the road from you?

Theo

6 hours ago, Renmar said:

Is that not just down the road from you?

Theo

A bit too far to call it down the road but so near that one may think I have seen this live - I haven't.  The stone of the bridge pillar looked like somewhere near Koblenz but I only later realized that it is the meandering Moselle depicted in one panel.

It is relatively modern I think but looks really nice I find. I have not been to Cochem itself in about twenty years, usually bypass it on the motorway through the hills on my way to Trier. Well, I have only been to Trier once in the last five years either...

A pity really. Looking forward to getting out and about a bit more.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

1 hour ago, texasstar said:

Renmar, thanks for turning the photo right side up.  How did you that ?  It was correct on my computer, but when I uploaded it, the photo turned.

There is an issue with photos, particularly ones taken on phones, posting in the landscape orientation regardless of how it was actually taken. Easy fix, go to the photo file and make a minor edit (I typically just remove a row of pixels, but a minor color correction in a corner works), then save it in the correct orientation.

3 hours ago, texasstar said:

Renmar, thanks for turning the photo right side up.  How did you that ?  It was correct on my computer, but when I uploaded it, the photo turned.

Your welcome. Like Smoo here says that seems a problem with smart phones. I never take pictures with a smart phone because I don't have/want or need one😲😉😁. I like a real camera better. All my pictures are downloaded on an external hard drive as not to loose them if something goes wrong with the laptop.

I use the photo program on my laptop. Most computers and laptops have a program to edit pictures like cropping, rotation, resizing etcetera.

By the way, no idea where your picture is taken.

Theo

6 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, I also recognize these gnomes - the fountain was identified in an earlier post. Sure could use some of these gnomes as they take care of things that I don't particularly like doing. 😉 

Yup.  That is the bottom of the fountain.  I posted a picture of the very top.  Apparently both ends were eye catching.