Reduced Capacity

dlfntx

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I read somewhere on these boards that a reduced sailing cruise would eliminate the inside cabins first.  I guess that makes some sense.  I sure don't know how they will ration the remaining cabins.  

I think this is related to the cruising protocols being put in place.  They recommend putting people in balcony cabins.  I suspect that makes it healthier/safer should the virus get onboard and people need to quarantine - for both mental and physical health.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

There's also the issue of whether Alaska (and Canada) will be open to cruise lines.  Last I checked Alaska required tourists to test negative prior to visit and still be quarantined upon arrival..

That in itself would be enough to cancel the Alaskan cruise season.

1 minute ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

To be safe book your Air via Celebrity Air where you pay nothing until final payment.  About 3 months before sailing make your decision to go or cancel and you loose nothing.  You get back your deposit and have been charged ZERO for airfare

I would but I have airline credits for the cruise that we missed in May 2020.  But, I like that idea for my July cruise.

14 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Sounds like the cruise lines will need to steer clear of BC!    Why so many new COVID cases with a small population?

I think you did not understand.  Vancouver ISLAND has a population of about 900,000 and under 300 total COVID cases since last March.  BC has 5.1M people and about 11000 cases in total.

South Carolina also has about 5.1M people and 160,000 cases.

That means South Carolina has an infection rate 15 times that of BC.

They have shut to tourists - even people from Alberta are required to quaranteen.

They have mostly avoided COVID and want to keep It that way.

56 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think this is related to the cruising protocols being put in place.  They recommend putting people in balcony cabins.  I suspect that makes it healthier/safer should the virus get onboard and people need to quarantine - for both mental and physical health.

yes, and well said.  That is one good reason it makes sense.  Another is of course that other cabin categories are going to have higher revenues to the cruise lines.   I will add "generally" for the "not necessarily" crowd.  Haha.  

17 hours ago, dlfntx said:

Does anyone have any thoughts about reduced capacity sailings once cruising starts up again?  My first cruise will be May 7 in Alaska.  If it sails, most likely it will be a reduced capacity cruise.  Lets say that it will be sailing at 60% (1710 passengers) and by the time of final payment they have already booked 80% (2280 passengers).  I will be making that final payment in good faith (buying airfare, hotels, etc.) thinking that I will be going on a cruise not realizing that I might be one of the 600 passengers that will have to be cut from the sailing.  How do you think they will make those decisions?  Last in - first out, or do you think that they will say "we can only have 60% inside cabins, OV, Balconies, Suites, etc.  This seems to me like a nightmare scenario for all concerned.

Just a guess of course, but I would say do not sell cabins without balconies.  They are the least profitable.  Also, limit regular balcony cabins to max of two- if families sail- they must get two connecting balcony cabins, if they wish.  While not the optimal solution, at least until everything is back to relative "normal".

I don't think info about about  Covid case numbers and ports closures were 

really what OP inquired  about..although  of course these would certainly impact if any cruise will go or be cancelled.  No one really knows until official cruise line announcements are made,

Interesting to speculate how X would decide which  res to keep and which to cancel.. Lately some folks have not been very happy with their Lift and Shift  cabin assignments...not always equitable apparently.

Have there been any statements by R Fain or other Royal/ Celebrity higher ups?

On 10/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, dlfntx said:

I hadn't thought about that scenario.  To "zero out" a ship might be a good way to get the right percentages of cabins across the board.  By eliminating, say all interiors you aren't necessarily keeping cabins and their occupants apart.  Financially, I don't know if it would be smart to "zero out" a ship after final payment and hope that you will get enough people to rebook.

Wouldn't it be easier to stop new booking when capacity has reached the new reduced capacity percentage. Lets say the new capacity is 70%....Once the ship is 70% full, stop bookings and if they are going to eliminate all insides, move them to outside cabins and upgrade others as necessary. How they chose who to move or upgrade can be figured out later. I would suggest using Celebrity status as a possible determining factor.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:22 AM, CAicruiser said:

Why not have some SOLO CRUISER ONLY itineraries.That will surely reduce the capacity.

Or let couples book adjoining rooms for the price of one!! That way, when I get sent to the dog house, I can just sleep next door!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, dlfntx said:

Does anyone have any thoughts about reduced capacity sailings once cruising starts up again?  My first cruise will be May 7 in Alaska.  If it sails, most likely it will be a reduced capacity cruise.  Lets say that it will be sailing at 60% (1710 passengers) and by the time of final payment they have already booked 80% (2280 passengers).  I will be making that final payment in good faith (buying airfare, hotels, etc.) thinking that I will be going on a cruise not realizing that I might be one of the 600 passengers that will have to be cut from the sailing.  How do you think they will make those decisions?  Last in - first out, or do you think that they will say "we can only have 60% inside cabins, OV, Balconies, Suites, etc.  This seems to me like a nightmare scenario for all concerned.

I'm just glad that no one has suggested reducing the capacity of the pool.

Actally there´s no need to speculate - taking a look at any cruise line already sailing gives a good (and logical) hint.

The cruises sailing in the beginning (at that will be quite a long time) will not be the cruises booked. They will be adapted to the Covid guidelines - changed in lenghts, itineraries, T&Cs regarding Covid policies etc etc.
All cruise lines already sailing simply canceled the existing bookings and opened the new sailings for booking.
They merely pressed the reset button so to speak.

There was no discussion of who gets to sail. No discussion if one booked a suite, is a top tier member or whatever - whoever books first gets to sail. Pretty simple solution. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm just glad that no one has suggested reducing the capacity of the pool.

They will reduce the lounge chairs and space them 6 ft apart.  This will lead to a whole new breed of super chair hogs!😀

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

How did you find the pricing on these new sailings vs historic pricing on these lines?

Not much different... we have done one cruise on TUI (a cousin of Celebrity) beginnning of October and found the pricing to be just the same as always. Actually pretty good regarding the circumstances. Excursions, despite the fact that booking with them was the only way, were a bargain compaired to even the regular Celebrity prices. The ship sailed with 922 passengers instead of the 2,500 possible.

The second we have booked is with MSC for Christmas  from Genua (don´t know if that´s going to happen). Again, pricing did not deter us from booking. Balcony staterooms start from €849 for a 7 night holiday cruise. I get the feeling that cruise lines want people to gain confidence in cruising again rather than ripping them off.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

Thanks for the information.  I'm considering shifting the rest of my 2021 Caribbean season sailings and doing last minute bookings when I feel comfortable.  I know it will depend mostly on demand but I believe they will have to keep prices reasonable to get enough bookings on short notice.

10 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Wouldn't it be easier to stop new booking when capacity has reached the new reduced capacity percentage. Lets say the new capacity is 70%....Once the ship is 70% full, stop bookings and if they are going to eliminate all insides, move them to outside cabins and upgrade others as necessary. How they chose who to move or upgrade can be figured out later. I would suggest using Celebrity status as a possible determining factor.

Just my two cents.

Cruise lines have historically overbooked anticipating a certain level of cancellations.  In current environment cancellation rate will undoubtedly rise. 

On 10/15/2020 at 6:44 AM, hcat said:

I don't think info about about  Covid case numbers and ports closures were 

really what OP inquired  about..although  of course these would certainly impact if any cruise will go or be cancelled.  No one really knows until official cruise line announcements are made,

Interesting to speculate how X would decide which  res to keep and which to cancel.. Lately some folks have not been very happy with their Lift and Shift  cabin assignments...not always equitable apparently.

Have there been any statements by R Fain or other Royal/ Celebrity higher ups?

Jm2c ... 

Imo, X will not follow the process being used by other cruise lines in Europe and zero out reservations currently booked. For one thing, It would be a nightmare having to process thousands of new FCC's and refunds in addition to the thousands they already have to deal with from the cruises they canceled about 2weeks ago. X's goal is to stay afloat and part of that involves the need to keep cash in hand.

Imo, for all remaining scheduled cruises, they will monitor inventory and when it reaches (hypothetically) 50-60% depending on the ship, they will not allow any more bookings. X is probably interested in filling as many suites as possible for greater revenue, and will close out inside cabins and other lower priced cabins.

By monitoring and controlling capacity X would avoid having to upset any of their customers by canceling their existing bookings.

Of course, anything anyone posts on this subject is entirely speculation. 😎

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Actally there´s no need to speculate - taking a look at any cruise line already sailing gives a good (and logical) hint.

The cruises sailing in the beginning (at that will be quite a long time) will not be the cruises booked. They will be adapted to the Covid guidelines - changed in lenghts, itineraries, T&Cs regarding Covid policies etc etc.
All cruise lines already sailing simply canceled the existing bookings and opened the new sailings for booking.
They merely pressed the reset button so to speak.

There was no discussion of who gets to sail. No discussion if one booked a suite, is a top tier member or whatever - whoever books first gets to sail. Pretty simple solution. 

That summs it up nicely. That is why Cunard- for example-  canceled all cruise up to May next year.

6 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Jm2c ... 

Imo, X will not follow the process being used by other cruise lines in Europe and zero out reservations currently booked. For one thing, It would be a nightmare having to process thousands of new FCC's and refunds in addition to the thousands they already have to deal with from the cruises they canceled about 2weeks ago. X's goal is to stay afloat and part of that involves the need to keep cash in hand.

I agree to the last part - however my conclusion is exactly the opposite.

Processing FCCs and collecting money for cruises they cancel only in the last minute although they know and knew exactly they won’t sail is what they have been doing for months to stay afloat. Why would they change that?

Again I have to divert the view to the European lines (almost all are connected or owned by US lines). They did and still do exactly the same. Even when they started to announce certain covid adapted cruises on specific ships, they had not canceled existing bookings on the same ship for sailings in completely different regions. They still collected money just to cancel the existing cruises almost on the same day...

A process I am sure they were given by their mother companies. So my conclusion is again: why would they change that?

Edited by Miaminice

On 10/14/2020 at 4:46 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

The post states there were over 500 new cases in BC.   Are you saying this post was false?

That would be a report over the weekend Friday ,Saturday,and Sunday numbers added together.