Who will get to cruise?

Laurie JJ

13 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

Next summers Alaskan cruises are still selling interior and ocean view cabins.  So I'm not sure RCL is having a 50% capacity by not selling those rooms.  

We'll just need to wait and see what they do when cruising restarts.

Totally possible to simply block off numbers of inside cabins.  They do it for various other weird reasons...why not capacity as well.  😉 

• Like 1

Reduced Capacity = Highest Spenders

It is as simple as that in this new numbers game. Seek volunteers first. Then determine which cabins will be permitted to be occupied. Then sort all reservations top down based on how much they have booked (cruise fare, drink packages, dining packages, excursions, other addons). Draw the line where the capacity is. Everyone above the line will be onboard and those below the line are off.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

It is as simple as that in this new numbers game. Seek volunteers first. Then determine which cabins will be permitted to be occupied. Then sort all reservations top down based on how much they have booked (cruise fare, drink packages, dining packages, excursions, other addons). Draw the line where the capacity is. Everyone above the line will be onboard and those below the line are off.

If I understand correctly then -- if you've booked an interior, don't purchase anything extra and don't volunteer,  you'll be booted off, regardless of what C&A level you are?   A Pinn could conceivable not make the cut, according to your formula.  Don't think it would go over too well.

At any rate, whatever they decide to do regarding lowering of capacity, they will never publicly let us know and we will still be coming up with crazy ideas and conjectures ad infinitum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When $$$$ is all that matters, the decision is quickly out of the cruise lines hands. They have NO obligation to loyalty programs. They only have obligations to shareholders and debt holders. All those people care about is revenue and profits. They truly do not care about Diamond +++++ members that pay $1,000 for a cruise, drink free at happy hour at night, and spend no money. Yes, I see why people that invested in the company would agree to that...not. They will boot you to the shore quicker than anyone.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, island lady said:

Gosh yes...I hope so!!  😮  

I am patiently waiting for them to cancel my 12/6/2020 cruise, which was to be 2nd leg of B2B with 11/29 (that they already cancelled and I just go my refund this morning).   Hope they don't go yet another year, same ship, same time!!  😞 

Yes hope we are cruising together...keeping good thoughts for the future of cruising to begin again!

That happened to us. We were booked for 11/15/20 on Oasis and L&S to Harmony in 2021 but already had Oasis booked

for the same week in 2021. After a few calls they let me switch to Symphony in spring 2022.

Good luck and we will be cruising together!

1 minute ago, bigrednole said:

When $$$$ is all that matters, the decision is quickly out of the cruise lines hands. They have NO obligation to loyalty programs. They only have obligations to shareholders and debt holders. All those people care about is revenue and profits. They truly do not care about Diamond +++++ members that pay $1,000 for a cruise, drink free at happy hour at night, and spend no money. Yes, I see why people that invested in the company would agree to that...not. They will boot you to the shore quicker than anyone.

And how much do you think Pinns have spent in order to achieve that status?  Also, ticket holders also hold obligations, while they may be last in line, they are still considered creditors to be payed out. 

I think a fairer solution would be to take a combination of both loyalty, date of booking and prices paid.  This might not even be an issue if at first there are less cruisers which will probably be the case, thus capacity will work itself out. 

10 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

That happened to us. We were booked for 11/15/20 on Oasis and L&S to Harmony in 2021 but already had Oasis booked

for the same week in 2021. After a few calls they let me switch to Symphony in spring 2022.

Good luck and we will be cruising together!

Impossible for me to do any L&S...had a pile of cruises already booked through to beginning of 2022, even before the cruise killing Demon Covid stuck us. 

Way too common now to be waiting for "the next shoe to drop".  Sigh....   😞 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I think a fairer solution would be to take a combination of both loyalty, date of booking and prices paid. 

There is nothing fair about an industry that has lost 95%+ of its revenue. Everything for the first 2 years is going to be driven by $$$. Loyalty is the last things they will be looking at. Yes, they will be happy you are loyal, but it will cost you a lot more. As a company with so much new debt, if I had to go in front of the Board as the CEO and tell them: I have 2 people to choose to be on the ship. First we have the D++++ member booked in an interior room for $1,000. The last 20 cruises, they have spent $500 onboard each time. Next is a couple that has a room for $3,000, DDP for $800, 3 excursions for $600, UDP for $500, 2 massages booked for $300, gamble $2,000 every week, and booked 2 ship tours. 

Yes, I see them choosing your loyal $1,000 booking. The CEO would not make it out of the Board meeting as CEO by choosing a loyal member spending $1,000 vs someone spending $6,000+. Some people just don't understand how a publicly traded company must operate, especially under these new conditions.

Edited by bigrednole

7 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I agree with you that it's about the money. They need to survive. So that means on an Oasis class ship that Star class and suites would be safe but what about a group that has 40 people booked in inside cabins? 

Just now, ownedbypets said:

I agree with you that it's about the money. They need to survive. So that means on an Oasis class ship that Star class and suites would be safe but what about a group that has 40 people booked in inside cabins? 

Interior cabins will be the first involuntarily booted. It is as simple as it gets.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Wont happen.  A PR nightmare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Board and CEO will not care about it. They simply care about their ships and private island that is collateral. Those are guaranteed losses if there is a bankruptcy. The cruise lines will be done if they default. Their obligation is to shareholders and debt holders only. Until you realize that, there is no reason to even discuss it.

I'm still going with cancel everyone at first and book from scratch only releasing whatever type of cabins that they want to sell

OR

A few select Mariner and/or Navigator late  December/January cruises will sail with whomever is still booked on them

18 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I'm still going with cancel everyone at first and book from scratch only releasing whatever type of cabins that they want to sell

OR

A few select Mariner and/or Navigator late  December/January cruises will sail with whomever is still booked on them

If they cancel everyone at first and make people rebook, I think that will be a nightmare!  Might be easier to move those who have booked insides and ocean view cabins into available balconies.  I really don't want to lose my sky loft on Quantum, I will never get it for the price I got it for and likely, wouldn't book.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If they cancel everyone at first and make people rebook, I think that will be a nightmare!  Might be easier to move those who have booked insides and ocean view cabins into available balconies.  I really don't want to lose my sky loft on Quantum, I will never get it for the price I got it for and likely, wouldn't book.

Another bit of speculation with no factual basis, maybe IF they do have to bump folks they will offer L and S to just those that they need to move.

Just now, molly361 said:

Another bit of speculation with no factual basis, maybe IF they do have to bump folks they will offer L and S to just those that they need to move.

That would work for us.  I would have moved this booking if I could have, but there is nothing to L&S to yet as the itineraries aren't open yet.  Impulse booking that we are having second thoughts about as things are not improving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

They could always make Purshase of one of the drink packages mandatory?  😇

I like the way you think. 😎

M8

40 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The Board and CEO will not care about it. They simply care about their ships and private island that is collateral. Those are guaranteed losses if there is a bankruptcy. The cruise lines will be done if they default. Their obligation is to shareholders and debt holders only. Until you realize that, there is no reason to even discuss it.

The board and the CEO also have an obligation to the shareholders to return the company to the viable operation operating at the same levels and beyond that it once was.  Is this going to happen overnight...no however, it is not as simple as just gouging everyone for every last nickel they can squeeze out of them and bumping those who paid the least.  30 years ago they could have easily done this and no one would have known.  In todays society with social media the backlash they would face would be devastating and cause long term damage.  Unless the cruise line is imminently facing bankruptcy they will balance the need for immediate cash in hand vs the long term negative effects that would be created by simply bumping those that paid the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

OR

Cash refund on deposits?   I can go with that!  🙂  Way...way too many FCC vouchers I cannot use for anything right now, and have no idea when I can use...if ever.  They are piling up.  ☹️

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

If they start booting people who have picked a certain cabin, and paid in full, to give it to someone else who is willing to spend more money, that would be a legal and PR nightmare. What would stop them doing it for every cruise, even after the pandemic disappears, if it ever does?

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

What would stop them doing it for every cruise, even after the pandemic disappears, if it ever does?

It was already happening before the pandemic - it was just so rare you didn't hear about it.

Biker, who likes the Royal Bump mentioned in another thread.

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

OR

I hope this doesn't happen. I have a great price on a one of a kind cabin that was booked 2 years in advance.

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It was already happening before the pandemic - it was just so rare you didn't hear about it.

If it's so rare, how did you hear about it? How about some facts to back up your statement or it's just what you think?

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Yes - it happens.  Occasionally RCCL would overbook a cruise and contact passengers to  try to persuade them to take a different sailing.  Not sure how they determined who to call.   I recall some on the M&M thread getting a call.  We never did. 

People are not booted off, they have an option to accept or reject the offer from revenue.   I understand revenue calls until they get the  cabins to open up. 

M

• Like 1