COVID-19 Surging Across Europe

Ride-The-Waves

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I had difficulty trying to install one of those in the outhouse. Sent it back and continue to use reliable TP, something we've been accustomed to since Sears stopped printing its catalogues! :classic_cool:

Love the sense of humour. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I had difficulty trying to install one of those in the outhouse. Sent it back and continue to use reliable TP, something we've been accustomed to since Sears stopped printing its catalogues! :classic_cool:

OMG so we were not the only ones!  Growing up very poor with 6 kids, my mom used to cut the newspaper into what she called "number 2 size", oh the good ole days when times were bad

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In an ideal world, but we've seen how well that has worked so far. 

I tend to like the Canadian system, set rules, then back them up with large fines for violators.

For example in the US you will see signs no bicycles in areas, but the signs are ignored.  Go to Canada, such as Whistler and when it says no bicycles you see absolutely no bicycles.  Reason why the $1000 fine for violators.  That gets ones attention pretty quickly and tells people violating the rules will have consequences.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

my mom used to cut the newspaper

My mom used too, with the difference that she was cutting out from the death notices the cross which represented the Christian faith of the deceased. "You have to respect our neighbors religion, even if it's only a symbol printed in the newspaper" - she used to told me....

I grew up in Romania, where TP was a rarity. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

And phone books aren't like they used to be.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nocl said:

I tend to like the Canadian system, set rules, then back them up with large fines for violators.

For example in the US you will see signs no bicycles in areas, but the signs are ignored.  Go to Canada, such as Whistler and when it says no bicycles you see absolutely no bicycles.  Reason why the $1000 fine for violators.  That gets ones attention pretty quickly and tells people violating the rules will have consequences.

The US has huge fines for violators, but often little enforcement.  We also have largely lost our identity as a community.  Arizona had under 1M population when I grew up in Phoenix.  Today almost 7M.  About 20% of those 7M were born outside the US and another 20% if asked do you consider yourself Serbian or Mexican identify with their country of birth even though they were born in the USA.

6 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

We had one delivered lat week , I was surprised they even still make one 😱

It's been years since we've had a phone book in Ottawa. They dropped the white pages first, then the yellow pages. I'm not complaining, as the internet  provides the same information and more, and it's kept up to date.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The US has huge fines for violators, but often little enforcement.  We also have largely lost our identity as a community.  Arizona had under 1M population when I grew up in Phoenix.  Today almost 7M.  About 20% of those 7M were born outside the US and another 20% if asked do you consider yourself Serbian or Mexican identify with their country of birth even though they were born in the USA.

The "Mexicans" lived there first!  As did Native Americans.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The "Mexicans" lived there first!  As did Native Americans.

Not sure what you are trying to say.  Arizona was only part of Mexico from 1810 until either 1848 or 1853 depending on location.  Spain before that.  

My point that you apparently missed is that a large proportion of permanent residents of Arizona do not look at themselves as American even though they were born here.  Of our new immigrants - both legal and otherwise - less than half are Mexican citizens.  Almost 20% hail from Eastern Europe!

35 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not sure what you are trying to say.  Arizona was only part of Mexico from 1810 until either 1848 or 1853 depending on location.  Spain before that.  

My point that you apparently missed is that a large proportion of permanent residents of Arizona do not look at themselves as American even though they were born here.  Of our new immigrants - both legal and otherwise - less than half are Mexican citizens.  Almost 20% hail from Eastern Europe!

The history of Native Americans in AZ goes back thousands of years.  By large proportion, of course only referencing the nationalities you specifically named out,  seem to be just a wee bit darker, pesky immigrants...oh wait, my mother and father were both born in another country

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

It's been years since we've had a phone book in Ottawa. They dropped the white pages first, then the yellow pages. I'm not complaining, as the internet  provides the same information and more, and it's kept up to date.

That's a shame. A phone isn't quite up to doing the job.😲🙈

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Europe's restrictions are likely the best way to limit transmission of the coronavirus, as disrupting as it is.  Just looked at the history is Australia and cases peaked in August - winter in the southern hemisphere.

There's no evidence to indicate the peak we experienced was due to temperatures. In our case we had come off a lockdown in March/April, and there was a bit of celebratory get-togethers. Combined with mistakes in letting the virus come in from travellers, the virus was spread through both large family gatherings, and work environments. As you see, that's not specific to the weather.

Following some lockdowns, the situation is now back under control.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

There's no evidence to indicate the peak we experienced was due to temperatures. In our case we had come off a lockdown in March/April, and there was a bit of celebratory get-togethers. Combined with mistakes in letting the virus come in from travellers, the virus was spread through both large family gatherings, and work environments. As you see, that's not specific to the weather.

Following some lockdowns, the situation is now back under control.

Australia appear to have done a fantastic job - no pain, no gain. Lets hope it is sustained. In the meantime US now has more deaths from Covid than WW1, Vietnam and Korea combined yet there is no plan to control the virus https://news.sky.com/story/faucis-coronavirus-warning-us-could-not-possibly-be-positioned-more-poorly-12121172

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is not a vent at you - but can someone tell me why people feel they need to horde large quantities of bottled water?  I just don't get it.  Do people really think the apocalypse is coming and entire municipalities will grind to a halt?  If that ever were to happen, having a bit of bottled water on hand would be the least of our worries.

Completely agree. When the first covid cases were reported in the US (before the "hoarding" started), my first reaction was to stock up on frozen, canned, and dried food in case the supply chains were interrupted. We do need food. Bottled water and TP were so far off my radar as "necessities" that I didn't bother. Never understood why people feel the need to stock up on those. I don't believe public water will ever be in short supply and we can make do if TP becomes unattainable. Food though, is hard to live without...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Completely agree. When the first covid cases were reported in the US (before the "hoarding" started), my first reaction was to stock up on frozen, canned, and dried food in case the supply chains were interrupted. We do need food. Bottled water and TP were so far off my radar as "necessities" that I didn't bother. Never understood why people feel the need to stock up on those. I don't believe public water will ever be in short supply and we can make do if TP becomes unattainable. Food though, is hard to live without...

all of the above and then some, I admit it, I have become a COVID hoarder.  But the local supermarkets and Instacart love it, keep the economy going and give a good tip.  

I am hopeful (or perhaps misguided) that the second wave of the pandemic will not cause widespread panic and hoarding behavior in my area of PA.  Some folks will for sure.  But there is a lot more experience dealing with this as a society than the shock and uncertainty in March.  For us back then we did experience shortages of some items at our stores but eventually with some planning and persistence we got almost everything we needed.  Sometimes at a higher price.   The supply chain is so much more prepared now.  I personally will pledge here to avoid hoarding behavior and take my chances.  Anybody want to join me in this pledge?😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

I am hopeful (or perhaps misguided) that the second wave of the pandemic will not cause widespread panic and hoarding behavior in my area of PA.  Some folks will for sure.  But there is a lot more experience dealing with this as a society than the shock and uncertainty in March.  For us back then we did experience shortages of some items at our stores but eventually with some planning and persistence we got almost everything we needed.  Sometimes at a higher price.   The supply chain is so much more prepared now.  I personally will pledge here to avoid hoarding behavior and take my chances.  Anybody want to join me in this pledge?😀

I will now, because I pretty much have all the canned goods, rice, beans, pasta etc, all stocked up probably thru December.  I pledge, my hoarding days are over...well for the next 3 months anyway

41 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I went to sam's this weekend and they only had store brand toilet paper and paper towels available.  Not sure if they were restricting sales of other brands or if another shortage is starting.

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I went to sam's this weekend and they only had store brand toilet paper and paper towels available.  Not sure if they were restricting sales of other brands or if another shortage is starting.

I've got a couple of extra rolls of each, happy to share